Ireland v France Sat 25th Feb 2017 4.50pm

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

MunsterSugar
Knowledgeable

Re: Ireland v France Sat 25th Feb 2017 4.50pm

Post by MunsterSugar »

matt wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:dont think marshall (effectively) iqs in time for the world cup,
He played his first game for Munster 4th Nov 16 having been signed 4th Oct 16 so with World Cup Oct/Nov 19 it will be tight if he is to be in contention. Like McCartney may find Scannell, Cronin, Tracy ahead of him but he is decent standard.
He has said he isn't IQ until it's too late. As squad has to be submitted in a late September too.
Can't see a guy make his debut in a RWC especially in those circumstances. It's differentbif he came through system playing underage

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
*** Edited by mod - WUM ***
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

Basteraud and Choully out.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

matt wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:dont think marshall (effectively) iqs in time for the world cup,
He played his first game for Munster 4th Nov 16 having been signed 4th Oct 16 so with World Cup Oct/Nov 19 it will be tight if he is to be in contention. Like McCartney may find Scannell, Cronin, Tracy ahead of him but he is decent standard.
I love conversations like these, they generally divide opinion, and prove most people wrong.

When it comes to rugby, who knows what will happen in 2 years time.
This time last year, if I had said that scannell would be playing in this year's 6 nations, I would have received some serious slagging.
Not long ago posters were saying that stander is pro 12 level at best, is a show pony, will never be capped for Ireland........... but look at him now.

By the time of the next world Cup any of the list above could be first choice, we could also have Sherry back as first choice at Munster and fulfilling his potential, pushing for selection, we could have a lad who is yet to play a B and I game today, being touted as world class.

That is what makes sport great, and especially rugby. given the high injury rates, it opens doors for players to break through. And given the quality coming through, who knows.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

offshorerules wrote:Basteraud and Choully out.
They're seriously stuck in the back row now. They've just called up a young lad from Brive of all teams, 21 years old and uncapped. Even with him starting, they'll need to have two second rows on the bench, with no back rows. They'll have Doussain as no.22 instead of Bastareaud, thank God.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

matt wrote:
he would have to be shooting lightning bolts out of his ar$e (or qualify for Scotland) to make the plane without having played in the warm ups or anything so hes effectively ruled out
neiliog93 wrote:
They're seriously stuck in the back row now. They've just called up a young lad from Brive of all teams, 21 years old and uncapped. Even with him starting, they'll need to have two second rows on the bench, with no back rows. They'll have Doussain as no.22 instead of Bastareaud, thank God.
we're not that lucky yet, they still will probably start Gourdon Olivon Picamoles with Le Roux or Lakafia on bench (5 backrowers in updated squad)
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

suisse wrote:
matt wrote:
Anyone have any views on Jackson v Sexton?
They said Sexton is fit and available so he should start. There is always the danger he'll start and not finish the game as we've seen in his last 2 starts but I can't imagine it'll be good for Johnny to come into a game cold after 60 minutes and not at match speed. I think he's more likely to get injured that way even if some of the French guys are tiring.

I expect them to target him from the start but if Owens, unlike Peyper, is paying attention, we could pick up a load of penos.
I think we've seen that in far more than just his last 2 starts.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

matt wrote: Can't see Earls getting dropped he is the only one in back 3 with any pace and is likeliest try scorer on team (Zebo has only 1 6N try (v Wales) and that was back in 2013 (although he has scored v NZ, Australia, Argentina & Georgia) and RK & Trimble don't score trys often for Ireland either).

Can't see Stander getting dropped either even if there is a tactical issue he is playing too well and will have learned after Scotland to seek space sometimes rather than contact to keep opposition guessing. Would expect same back row with probably POM on bench even though I would pick Leavy in VDF's absence myself. Leavy since coming on as sub in the Montpelier away game in October has upped his performances to a phenomenal level and if he keeps improving either he or VDF could yet make the Lions tour.

Would have thought Jack McGrath would be no 1 but JS has said he regards last 30 mins as important as first 50 mins or something to that effect.

There was talk a few months back on this forum about how quick Zebo is, and now mention that he doesn't have any pace!
I'm not sure which it is tbh (I think he might have a lazy/relaxed running style that doesn't help, and of course a belly), I'd have him as first choice wing for Ireland either way.
tingman
Graduate

Post by tingman »

suisse wrote:Does Joanne Cantwell have a bet on to see how many times she can squeeze Peter O'Mahony's name into every episode? It doesn't matter what form he's in, or if he's injured, Joanne will always get in there. I don't see her making similar calls at 1, second row or back 3.

Good to see Stu Lancaster on TV. He really does come across as a decent bloke. I liked his confidence too. I wonder if he was with us last season, would we have won the League? Who knows.
Anyone listen to her?
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Ireland v France Sat 25th Feb 2017 4.50pm

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Laighin Break wrote:
matt wrote: Can't see Earls getting dropped he is the only one in back 3 with any pace and is likeliest try scorer on team (Zebo has only 1 6N try (v Wales) and that was back in 2013 (although he has scored v NZ, Australia, Argentina & Georgia) and RK & Trimble don't score trys often for Ireland either).

Can't see Stander getting dropped either even if there is a tactical issue he is playing too well and will have learned after Scotland to seek space sometimes rather than contact to keep opposition guessing. Would expect same back row with probably POM on bench even though I would pick Leavy in VDF's absence myself. Leavy since coming on as sub in the Montpelier away game in October has upped his performances to a phenomenal level and if he keeps improving either he or VDF could yet make the Lions tour.

Would have thought Jack McGrath would be no 1 but JS has said he regards last 30 mins as important as first 50 mins or something to that effect.

There was talk a few months back on this forum about how quick Zebo is, and now mention that he doesn't have any pace!
I'm not sure which it is tbh (I think he might have a lazy/relaxed running style that doesn't help, and of course a belly), I'd have him as first choice wing for Ireland either way.
I'd have him as a 1st choice wing or fullback tbh, but he's been shown up to at least not trust his pace. Smashing player though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Zebo was definitely pretty quick a couple of years ago but has put on 5kg+ (he's 98kg now) and looked very slow when clean through against Scotland. Interesting tweets from BOD the other day saying Hickie was the fastest guy he played with and Habana the fastest he played against, but that Zebo 'wasn't in the same league as Hickie' in terms of speed, and that Habana and Hickie were about the same.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

neiliog93 wrote:
we're not that lucky yet, they still will probably start Gourdon Olivon Picamoles with Le Roux or Lakafia on bench (5 backrowers in updated squad)[/quote]

I thought Gourdon was out, my bad. At the same time, Olivon and Lakafia are very average players. Le Roux is a big unit and a solid tackler and line-out option, but not on the level of our back rowers.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

neiliog93 wrote:Zebo was definitely pretty quick a couple of years ago but has put on 5kg+ (he's 98kg now) and looked very slow when clean through against Scotland. Interesting tweets from BOD the other day saying Hickie was the fastest guy he played with and Habana the fastest he played against, but that Zebo 'wasn't in the same league as Hickie' in terms of speed, and that Habana and Hickie were about the same.
You might be interested in this interview with Hickie from 1998 talking about sprinting: http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/speed-k ... k-1.133239
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

hugonaut wrote:
neiliog93 wrote:Zebo was definitely pretty quick a couple of years ago but has put on 5kg+ (he's 98kg now) and looked very slow when clean through against Scotland. Interesting tweets from BOD the other day saying Hickie was the fastest guy he played with and Habana the fastest he played against, but that Zebo 'wasn't in the same league as Hickie' in terms of speed, and that Habana and Hickie were about the same.
You might be interested in this interview with Hickie from 1998 talking about sprinting: http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/speed-k ... k-1.133239
I cannot see how John McWeeney could ever have finished ahead of Hickie in anything. :shock:
Funny line in the article "The commonly held perception that Hickie is a natural right wing is misguided."
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Doussain's conditioning is an absolute disgrace, would be great to see him on relatively early.
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

tingman wrote:
suisse wrote:Does Joanne Cantwell have a bet on to see how many times she can squeeze Peter O'Mahony's name into every episode? It doesn't matter what form he's in, or if he's injured, Joanne will always get in there. I don't see her making similar calls at 1, second row or back 3.

Good to see Stu Lancaster on TV. He really does come across as a decent bloke. I liked his confidence too. I wonder if he was with us last season, would we have won the League? Who knows.
Anyone listen to her?
I think she's pretty good, and she's certainly miles ahead of Daire O'Brien.
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

A man exceeded in "Sounding smug" only by Phillip Boucher-Hayes
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Hippo wrote:
tingman wrote:

Anyone listen to her?
I think she's pretty good, and she's certainly miles ahead of Daire O'Brien.
I don't think she's particularly strong but she's not the only one presenting rugby on tv or radio who is a little weak.

As for Daire, he definitely comes across smug as John says but I worked with him for the 2007 RWC for Setanta. He's a gent. Friendly and approachable. Spent very little time actually watching the game, which won't surprise many of you. Paul Dempsey was a ego maniac and wanted several people to say he had done a great job presenting football.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Just don't take a bet off him without getting the cash up front
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

suisse wrote:
As for Daire, he definitely comes across smug as John says but I worked with him for the 2007 RWC for Setanta. He's a gent. Friendly and approachable. Spent very little time actually watching the game, which won't surprise many of you. Paul Dempsey was a ego maniac and wanted several people to say he had done a great job presenting football.
Did Daire ever ask you for a few quid on tick to stick on the horsies? Or try to get you into a pyramid scheme?

Go easy :wink:
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Wasn't a fan of Joanne when she first started but think she's great now. Have no idea why they have DOB presenting at all never mind ahead of her, I can't imagine anyone in the country enjoys watching him.