Re: Ireland v France Sat 25th Feb 2017 4.50pm

Post by Dave Cahill »

Aha! Mercy buckets
I have Bumbleflex
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Does Joanne Cantwell have a bet on to see how many times she can squeeze Peter O'Mahony's name into every episode? It doesn't matter what form he's in, or if he's injured, Joanne will always get in there. I don't see her making similar calls at 1, second row or back 3.

Good to see Stu Lancaster on TV. He really does come across as a decent bloke. I liked his confidence too. I wonder if he was with us last season, would we have won the League? Who knows.
MunsterSugar
Knowledgeable

Post by MunsterSugar »

Anyone think it's fairly obvious POM will be involved.
Monday he trained in full contact with Munster in preparation for Ospreys.
Monday evening he's announced injured still.
Tuesday he's pulled straight to Ireland.
Rest of week he's trained fully with them. And been heavily involved in starters pack.

Leavy is top player but anyone thinking 1 ounce of logic knows way it's going. And that's a certainty

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
*** Edited by mod - WUM ***
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

I'd say you're right, he will be in 23 as back row cover. Leavy's time will come though. It's unfortunate for POM that he's behind 3 excelling back rows 2 of which are arguably better 6's than him and he's never going to get ahead of the 8.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

There should be no surprise that POM is coming back in - he is a Schmidt favourite and when fit, generally is selected. You have to presume that TOD is ahead of Leavy, given that he was named in the original squad. Both are a long way behind POM. He might even start him
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Golf Man wrote:There should be no surprise that POM is coming back in - he is a Schmidt favourite and when fit, generally is selected. You have to presume that TOD is ahead of Leavy, given that he was named in the original squad. Both are a long way behind POM. He might even start him
POM - There is no surprise, give it up.
Not only is there no surprise most punters will be quite happy to see POM back in the 23.
Coming off the bench, presumably, POM will bring a huge impact into the game.
POM is that rare player who plays well from the start or plays well as a substitute.
Against France he could be the difference between winning and losing, he's a potential game changer.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
MunsterSugar
Knowledgeable

Post by MunsterSugar »

Few observations.
Kearney and Sexton are fully back.
POM is spending alot of time in 6 slot so would Heaslip or Stander be dropped? Or is it just familiarising.
Interesting too Healy was in starters paddock

*** Edited by mod - WUM ***
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

MunsterSugar wrote:Few observations.
POM is spending alot of time in 6 slot so would Heaslip or Stander be dropped? Or is it just familiarising.

Be surprised to see Healy starting tbh
If Kearney is back and Trimble is I reckon he will drop Earls
I really doubt if Stander would be dropped (that would be as harsh as anything), Heaslip won't be. Presume its just integration back. It would be a huge call to drop Stander - but he might might do it
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

simonokeeffe wrote:
CiaranIrl wrote:We'll be kicking in behind them and up and under them all day long. Make them turn and take advantage of their winger's weaknesses. Play for position, then maul them.
+ 1

you dont get to practice defending contestable kicks or kicks to the corners playing 7s
I didn't know what this was about until I heard them mention it on Against the Head. An international winger not currently playing for a club who has come straight in from 7's?? That's mad!
Dont Panic!
matt
Graduate

Post by matt »

Golf Man wrote:
MunsterSugar wrote:Few observations.

Be surprised to see Healy starting tbh
If Kearney is back and Trimble is I reckon he will drop Earls
I really doubt if Stander would be dropped (that would be as harsh as anything), Heaslip won't be. Presume its just integration back. It would be a huge call to drop Stander - but he might might do it
Can't see Earls getting dropped he is the only one in back 3 with any pace and is likeliest try scorer on team (Zebo has only 1 6N try (v Wales) and that was back in 2013 (although he has scored v NZ, Australia, Argentina & Georgia) and RK & Trimble don't score trys often for Ireland either).

Can't see Stander getting dropped either even if there is a tactical issue he is playing too well and will have learned after Scotland to seek space sometimes rather than contact to keep opposition guessing. Would expect same back row with probably POM on bench even though I would pick Leavy in VDF's absence myself. Leavy since coming on as sub in the Montpelier away game in October has upped his performances to a phenomenal level and if he keeps improving either he or VDF could yet make the Lions tour.

Would have thought Jack McGrath would be no 1 but JS has said he regards last 30 mins as important as first 50 mins or something to that effect.

Anyone have any views on Jackson v Sexton?
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

matt wrote: Anyone have any views on Jackson v Sexton?
A fit and in form Jonny starts every time. But he is not "match" fit and form???? Who knows? Probably aerobically fit at this point but needs games.

Jonny gives you more in leadership and direction than Paddy. I don't believe we would have lost to Scotland with him on the field.

Paddy has a great box of tricks all the same. Lovely passer, in great kicking form etc etc.

Personally I would start Jonny and replace him if and when he runs out of puff. Bit of a gamble but I believe Joe will do the same. Paddy must be ready to come on after 20 if needed.

A gamble the other way if you start Paddy and Jonny comes on at 50 minutes and only lasts 15.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

matt wrote:
Anyone have any views on Jackson v Sexton?
They said Sexton is fit and available so he should start. There is always the danger he'll start and not finish the game as we've seen in his last 2 starts but I can't imagine it'll be good for Johnny to come into a game cold after 60 minutes and not at match speed. I think he's more likely to get injured that way even if some of the French guys are tiring.

I expect them to target him from the start but if Owens, unlike Peyper, is paying attention, we could pick up a load of penos.
matt
Graduate

Post by matt »

Agree Sexton to start with Jackson to come on. The opposite too big a risk as outlined by johng and Suisse.
matt
Graduate

Post by matt »

I reckon that unlike Murrayfield that Niall Scannell will get about 20 mins and we will fully utilise our options at 2. Scannell does all the basics well and being able to have 2 good hookers could be advantage near the end.

Was also impressed with Rhys Marshall against Ospreys & these 2 plus Best & 3 Leinster hookers gives us decent options into 2019.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Dexter wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:
CiaranIrl wrote:We'll be kicking in behind them and up and under them all day long. Make them turn and take advantage of their winger's weaknesses. Play for position, then maul them.
+ 1

you dont get to practice defending contestable kicks or kicks to the corners playing 7s
I didn't know what this was about until I heard them mention it on Against the Head. An international winger not currently playing for a club who has come straight in from 7's?? That's mad!
worth noting too their propensity to run into touch or fire aimless offloads, they both play like Paulo Wanchope
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

matt wrote:I reckon that unlike Murrayfield that Niall Scannell will get about 20 mins and we will fully utilise our options at 2. Scannell does all the basics well and being able to have 2 good hookers could be advantage near the end.

Was also impressed with Rhys Marshall against Ospreys & these 2 plus Best & 3 Leinster hookers gives us decent options into 2019.
Cronin, Treacy, and both Connacht hookers, McCartney & Heffernan, will have a lot to say about that opinion over the next two Seasons.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

dont think marshall (effectively) iqs in time for the world cup,
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
matt wrote:I reckon that unlike Murrayfield that Niall Scannell will get about 20 mins and we will fully utilise our options at 2. Scannell does all the basics well and being able to have 2 good hookers could be advantage near the end.

Cronin, Treacy, and both Connacht hookers, McCartney & Heffernan, will have a lot to say about that opinion over the next two Seasons.
Especially as noone has heard of Rhys Williams, whoever he is, until Mats pist.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
matt
Graduate

Post by matt »

Ruckedtobits wrote:

See "3 Leinster hookers" mentioned above.

Not sure McCartney will make it with emergence of Scannell & Tracy & return of Cronin. McCartney although strong at 113kg will be 34 by next World Cup but he, Heffernan & Herring makes at least 9 decent hookers in Ireland plus emerging players from Under 20s etc
matt
Graduate

Post by matt »

simonokeeffe wrote:dont think marshall (effectively) iqs in time for the world cup,
He played his first game for Munster 4th Nov 16 having been signed 4th Oct 16 so with World Cup Oct/Nov 19 it will be tight if he is to be in contention. Like McCartney may find Scannell, Cronin, Tracy ahead of him but he is decent standard.