Ireland v France Sat 25th Feb 2017 4.50pm

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Re: Ireland v France Sat 25th Feb 2017 4.50pm

Post by Ruckedtobits »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Wasn't a fan of Joanne when she first started but think she's great now. Have no idea why they have DOB presenting at all never mind ahead of her, I can't imagine anyone in the country enjoys watching him.

Totally agree with sentiment about DOR, who is a prat of the first order, full of ill-researched opinions and smart-alec comments and with visions of grandeur about his ability.

Joanne is both a knowlegable fan and an excellent compere of the Panel and I would be delighted to see her given the gig by RTE. She, with O'Shea, O'Gara and Horgan, would be a generation shift and no harm.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

@Neil yeah Gourdon seems to be good and Picamoles has dialled the clock back a few years but would agrer we'll have the stronger 4 backrowers on the day (not by a landslide though)
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Hippo wrote:
tingman wrote:
suisse wrote:Does Joanne Cantwell have a bet on to see how many times she can squeeze Peter O'Mahony's name into every episode? It doesn't matter what form he's in, or if he's injured, Joanne will always get in there. I don't see her making similar calls at 1, second row or back 3.

Good to see Stu Lancaster on TV. He really does come across as a decent bloke. I liked his confidence too. I wonder if he was with us last season, would we have won the League? Who knows.
Anyone listen to her?
I think she's pretty good, and she's certainly miles ahead of Daire O'Brien.
+1
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Wasn't a fan of Joanne when she first started but think she's great now. Have no idea why they have DOB presenting at all never mind ahead of her, I can't imagine anyone in the country enjoys watching him.
DOB is from Cork do I need to explain?
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

The42 has a few and/or in the line up for the game.

Kearney fit, he plays with Earls and Zebo with Trimble benching. Otherwise, Trimble to RW, Earls LW, Zebo FB and Gilroy benched.

POM in reserve with Cian Healy
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Post by Fan with smartphone »

Looking forward to seeing this selection and how we play. Last year France left their better scrummagers until near the end and got success from it, so it's interesting to see how people have mentioned McGrath has been training with the subs a bit this week and also Roux being brought into the training squad. The World Cup game took out 5 of our players against them too and rightly or wrongly the style of play took some of the blame for that. I think (mostly) wrongly, but I'm hoping we will indeed be trying to mix-up the running round them and the running through them.

I'd be expecting an edge in the lineout, which is a big key for this Ireland team, but overheard a worrying conversation between Bealham and Owens in the Connacht - Dragons match. Owens (correctly) gave a penalty for the jumper transferring the ball direct to the back of a maul, which is another of those emphasis changes in the law this season. Bealham said to Owens (something like) - we've been doing that exact move with Ireland and they say it's fine. Owens said: well, they'll not do it next week. True to form Owens penalised Dragons for the same offence before the end. Despite his fame, he's a great referee and if he is spotting it, he is strong enough to call it back. You'd be hoping Bealham passed that up the chain of command. We've left a fair few points out there against the Kiwis and Scotland with uncharacteristic sloppiness around our lineout and maul plays, if we are on form there and in Owens' good books they'll have fun I think.
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Post by Fan with smartphone »

suisse wrote:The42 has a few and/or in the line up for the game.

Kearney fit, he plays with Earls and Zebo with Trimble benching. Otherwise, Trimble to RW, Earls LW, Zebo FB and Gilroy benched.

POM in reserve with Cian Healy
There goes my theory anyway, :roll: The two of them are playing good stuff anyway at the minute.
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

GT predicting this

IRELAND (possible): R Kearney; K Earls, G Ringrose, R Henshaw, S Zebo; J Sexton, C Murray; J McGrath, R Best (capt), T Furlong, D Ryan, D Toner, CJ Stander, S O’Brien, J Heaslip. Replacements: N Scannell, C Healy, J Ryan, I Henderson, P O’Mahony, K Marmion, P Jackson, A Trimble

...which I'd be very happy with. If only we can maintain that line up for the next three games.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/i ... -1.2985332
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Munster fans aside I wouldve thought most people & Joe would prefer a fit Trimble on the right wing to Earls?

RK seems to be the most still in doubt from press reports
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

I would actually say that most people would prefer Trimble at the expense of any of the above starting back three players.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I'd prefer Trimble to start but he hasn't played in a while so it's fair enough. Given his lay off I'd be tempted to leave him out altogether really.

Like the look of Henderson and POM off the bench. It's a brilliant bench of forwards and I suspect we'll need them unless we get a couple of early scores.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I'd prefer Trimble to start but he hasn't played in a while so it's fair enough. Given his lay off I'd be tempted to leave him out altogether really.

Like the look of Henderson and POM off the bench. It's a brilliant bench of forwards and I suspect we'll need them unless we get a couple of early scores.
but Joe loves his defence and experience

according to WNR Vakatawa missing for France so there goes just kicking it
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

dare I say thats a fairly weak set of forwards on the bench (compared to us)

Update: its a fairly weak bench for them in general, the props are the only ones theyll want to bring on (without weakening the team)
Last edited by simonokeeffe on February 23rd, 2017, 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

simonokeeffe wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I'd prefer Trimble to start but he hasn't played in a while so it's fair enough. Given his lay off I'd be tempted to leave him out altogether really.

but Joe loves his defence and experience

according to WNR Vakatawa missing for France so there goes just kicking it
I do too, I'm just worried that he'll be rusty.
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

Team as expected - Kearney the only really contentious decision

Bench looks good - Healy/Scannell/Ryan/Henderson/POM in particular and they will be needed

Hope Sexton doesn't break
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Golf Man wrote:Team as expected - Kearney the only really contentious decision

Bench looks good - Healy/Scannell/Ryan/Henderson/POM in particular and they will be needed

:lol:

Like clockwork!
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

wixfjord wrote:

Like clockwork!
Yeah broken record - AGAIN.
MunsterSugar
Knowledgeable

Post by MunsterSugar »

simonokeeffe wrote:Munster fans aside I wouldve thought most people & Joe would prefer a fit Trimble on the right wing to Earls?

RK seems to be the most still in doubt from press reports
But think is Earls is a proven try scorer. None of others have great record.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
*** Edited by mod - WUM ***
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

wixfjord wrote:

Like clockwork!
Touche - is there another contentious decision - but leadership