Wales v Ireland Fri 10th March 8 05pm

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Re: Wales v Ireland Fri 10th March 8 05pm

Postby Hippo » March 11th, 2017, 12:11 pm

Well that was poor.
Henshaw played well, but his brainless effort on the maul arguably cost us the match - that and of course no yellow card for Wales. SOB was very ordinary again, his no-look pass behind Heaslip which led to Wales's 2nd try was a particular highlight for me. Lineout picked apart by Wales at vital times, so frustrating.

On a positive note, I thought Earls, Ringrose and Sexton were outstanding, and that Marmion and POM did well when they came on. Everyone else seemed around the 5 or 6 out of 10 level. Plenty of hard work and grunt, can't fault them for effort.
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
Hippo
Mullet

Postby fourthirtythree » March 11th, 2017, 12:14 pm

On reflection I still can't understand why Marmion wasn't brought on earlier. Seemed mad at the time, still does.
Datta: what have we given?
My friend, blood shaking my heart
The awful daring of a moment's surrender
Which an age of prudence can never retract
What the thunder said to Brian Lenihan
fourthirtythree
Devin Toner

Postby LeRouxIsPHat » March 11th, 2017, 12:18 pm

fourthirtythree wrote:On reflection I still can't understand why Marmion wasn't brought on earlier. Seemed mad at the time, still does.

I could understand if it was closer to half time...but watching those ten minutes pass...
LeRouxIsPHat
Shane Horgan

Postby enby » March 11th, 2017, 2:21 pm

Joe just doesn't have any confidence in his bench, delaying far too long to bring on Marmion, Ryan, Scannell and even POM. Unless Stander was injured it seemed strange that he rather than either SOB or Jamie got hooked as he was having a far better game than the 2 lads.

Rob K offers little in attack and God knows what has happened to Zebo who seems to have lost his confidence and/or pace.
enby
Knowledgeable

Postby dropkick » March 11th, 2017, 3:28 pm

That was woeful but not surprising. Its been coming for a while as results have gotten worse over the last 2 years. Being outplayed by Scotland and Wales is a real body blow especially when you consider the resources Schmidt has. He now has the look of a man who genuinely can't believe his methods are not working and he is starting to blame things like the bus. Something I have never heard before.

We need an attack coach. The whole attacking game needs to be torn down and rebuilt. Forget the intricate set plays that seem to bamboozle the Irish players more than the opposition. How about playing a more NZ type of rugby ie attacking space. Stretching the defence, attack space and let the players play whats in front of them, using their own creativity. The Schmidt playbook is not only easy to defend against but it also means the players are not using any of their own creativity.
dropkick
Mullet

Postby neiliog93 » March 11th, 2017, 4:05 pm

dropkick wrote:That was woeful but not surprising. Its been coming for a while as results have gotten worse over the last 2 years. Being outplayed by Scotland and Wales is a real body blow especially when you consider the resources Schmidt has. He now has the look of a man who genuinely can't believe his methods are not working and he is starting to blame things like the bus. Something I have never heard before.

We need an attack coach. The whole attacking game needs to be torn down and rebuilt. Forget the intricate set plays that seem to bamboozle the Irish players more than the opposition. How about playing a more NZ type of rugby ie attacking space. Stretching the defence, attack space and let the players play whats in front of them, using their own creativity. The Schmidt playbook is not only easy to defend against but it also means the players are not using any of their own creativity.

Agreed. When I was watching the game last night I couldn't help but think 'what would the All Blacks do?' as we pounded away unsuccessfully at their line. The answer is that there would be no set plays and few static one-out runners. They would attack space, step before contact, run good lines and look for offloads, even off relatively slow ball. And eight or nine times out of ten, they'd score.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
neiliog93
Malcolm O'Kelly

Postby All Blacks nil » March 11th, 2017, 4:20 pm

I'm banging on the same drum again but very few teams can win such an intense match while in effect using only 19 of the MD23.
My abiding memory of the game will be the quick glimpse of Joe making the call to clear the bench of the FOUR remaining replacements as Biggar lined up the conversion of Roberts' try after 79 mins.
A further indictment of Joe's mistrust in his squad despite all the time he has spent with them over the last 18 months in particular. I'm not getting at the replaced players but Best and Furlong were understandably out on the feet and should have been called ashore earlier even if only with next week in mind.
Another game where, despite extensive and intensive preparations, the coach showed he cannot trust the players he picks.
Last edited by All Blacks nil on March 11th, 2017, 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Postby Laighin Break » March 11th, 2017, 5:30 pm

It's actually insulting to the players to throw them on for a few seconds when the game is lost. What's the point?
Laighin Break
Knowledgeable

Postby Laighin Break » March 11th, 2017, 5:32 pm

Dave Cahill wrote:
carlow man wrote:Joe wants his fb to run into the first player he gets to. Can't tackle and has no pace. Maybe someone shoukd tell Joe that he needs to get in the real world. Schmidt should have no say in leinster selection. That's Cullens job.

Joe wants his full back to locate a pod and set up the next phase of play with their support, getting isolated is the ultimate sin

And Joe tells you this?
Does he also want his fullback to miss tackles?
Laighin Break
Knowledgeable

Postby paddyor » March 11th, 2017, 5:55 pm

dropkick wrote:That was woeful but not surprising. Its been coming for a while as results have gotten worse over the last 2 years. Being outplayed by Scotland and Wales is a real body blow especially when you consider the resources Schmidt has. He now has the look of a man who genuinely can't believe his methods are not working and he is starting to blame things like the bus. Something I have never heard before.

I disagree with that. We were up to 3rd in the world rankings recently and are still 4th. The bolded part is a blatant lie, but you're at least telling the truth when you say you've never heard it before. Even if you don't agree that the game prep was disrupted there's really no need to embellish it to make him sound like he's lost his marbles.

IMO his biggest mistake was not emptying the bench earlier. It was a 1 score game until the 79th minute, we had them on the rack for most of the last 20 minutes and had the possession territory and chances to win the game. Fresh bodies would have made the difference IMO. I'd also have changed Sexton for Jackson.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
paddyor
Girvan Dempsey

Postby CiaranIrl » March 11th, 2017, 6:35 pm

munster#1 wrote:Joe has unprecedented options available to him, and has failed to develop the game in the last couple of years.

Does he though? He has more depth in some positions, sure, but how many of this team would walk into Kidney or o Sullivan's teams?
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
CiaranIrl
Girvan Dempsey

Postby offshorerules » March 11th, 2017, 6:41 pm

No he doesn't. I saw that post originally and laughed out loud. The thing that occurred to me was Paul O'Connell and Bian o'driscoll. How can you say they have been replaced. Laughable.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
offshorerules
Girvan Dempsey

Postby Timbit » March 11th, 2017, 7:05 pm

enby wrote:Joe just doesn't have any confidence in his bench, delaying far too long to bring on Marmion, Ryan, Scannell and even POM. Unless Stander was injured it seemed strange that he rather than either SOB or Jamie got hooked as he was having a far better game than the 2 lads.

Rob K offers little in attack and God knows what has happened to Zebo who seems to have lost his confidence and/or pace.

If you look at the stats you'll see that Zebo made most metres of the back 3, made several clean breaks and tackled a whole pile. The idea that we were close to scoring tries except for Zebo is laughable. Our centres offered us nothing and Henshaw nailed the coffin closed when he joined the maul.
Timbit
Learner

Postby fourthirtythree » March 11th, 2017, 7:11 pm

We've better props and half backs. After that, no.

Bit more depth though.
fourthirtythree
Devin Toner

Postby Oldschool » March 11th, 2017, 7:14 pm

fourthirtythree wrote:We've better props and half backs. After that, no.

Bit more depth though.

We don't have better half backs.
Wales put the lie to that.
Wales talked them up and then took them down.
That was the thing that worried me most before the game.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Devin Toner

Postby ronk » March 11th, 2017, 7:21 pm

Oldschool wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:We've better props and half backs. After that, no.

Bit more depth though.

We don't have better half backs.
Wales put the lie to that.
Wales talked them up and then took them down.
That was the thing that worried me most before the game.

Well they got them off the pitch...
ronk
Devin Toner

Postby fourthirtythree » March 11th, 2017, 7:28 pm

Sorry I was responding to whether we had better resources than the Kidney and O'Sullivan teams at their best. Props and halfbacks.

But yes Ronk, difficult to say last night as ours weren't on for some time. Webb certainly bolstered his claim for the Lions though.
fourthirtythree
Devin Toner

Postby ronk » March 11th, 2017, 7:37 pm

Most of our depth is injured. Schmidt used what he had and held back where we don't. But he was probably overly conservative in doing so.

Leinster losing Teo'o, Madigan and Moore last season along with the retirement of Reddan and Ross's form has eaten up a lot of depth.

Injuries like Cronin, Trimble, VDF, Murphy and Payne took away more.

Fixtures are lining up well for development once next week is out of the way.
ronk
Devin Toner

Postby All Blacks nil » March 11th, 2017, 7:58 pm

2009 Slam team v Wales v yesterday's team.
Kearney. V Kearney
Bowe v Earls
BOD v Ringrose
Darcy v Henshaw
Luke v zebo
ROG v JS
TOL V Murray
Horan v Jack Mc
Flannery v Best
Hayes v Furlong
POC v Ryan
DOC v Toner
Ferris v CJ
Wallace v SOB
Heaslip v Heaslip
Court V Healy and Ryan ( 22 in match day squad in 09)
Best V Scannell
O'Driscoll V Henderson
Leaky V POM
Stringer V Marmion
Wallace V Jackson
Murphy V Bowe

A composite team/ squad would make an interesting debate.
Last edited by All Blacks nil on March 11th, 2017, 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Postby neiliog93 » March 11th, 2017, 8:06 pm

All Blacks nil wrote:2009 Slam team v Wales v yesterday's team.
Kearney. V Kearney
Bowe v Earls
BOD v Ringrose
Darcy v Henshaw
Luke v zebo
ROG v JS
TOL V Murray
Horan v Jack Mc
Flannery v Best
Hayes v Furlong
POC v Ryan
DOC v Toner
Ferris v CJ
Wallace v SOB
Heaslip v Heaslip
Court V Healy and Ryan ( 22 in match day squad in 09)
Best V Scannell
O'Driscoll V Henderson
Leaky V POM
Stringer V Marmion
Wallace V Jackson
Murphy V Bowe

A composite team/ squad would make an interesting debate.

Kearney (2009) vs Kearney (2017) = 2009
Bowe (2009) vs Earls (2017) = 2009
BOD vs Ringrose = 2009
D'Arcy vs Henshaw = 2017
Luke vs Zebo = 2009
ROG vs Sexton = 2017
TOL vs Murray = 2017

Horan vs McGrath = 2017
Flannery vs Best (2017) = 2009
Hayes vs Furlong = 2017
POC vs D.Ryan = 2009
DOC vs Toner = 2009
Ferris vs CJ = Draw
Wallace vs SOB = 2009 (on SOB's current form)
Heaslip (2009) vs Heaslip (2017) = 2009

Court vs Healy = 2017
Best (2009) vs Scannell = 2009
M.O'Driscoll vs Henderson = 2017
Leamy vs POM = 2017
Stringer vs Marmion = 2009
P.Wallace vs Jackson = 2017
G.Murphy vs Bowe (2017) = 2009
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
neiliog93
Malcolm O'Kelly

PreviousNext

Return to International Rugby