International eligibility rules

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

International eligibility rules

Postby munster#1 » March 7th, 2017, 12:39 pm

I will never begrudge any player who becomes Irish qualified through the residency rule.
We like all nations must play within the rules, and we do so.

But I really hope that the time is extended soon. The potential of seeing an Irish team that contains Marshall, Kleyn, Quinn Roux, stander, jgp, Tyler, Aki and Lowe is not beyond the realms of possibility, and most if not all of those will become capped Irish internationals.

We could add more to that list or change players, and I'm sure others will, which is a real shame. And is something that the Irish have been slagging the all blacks off about for years, and more recently the English.

If the current trend does not come to an end, then international rugby teams will be no more than big clubs, buying players to allow them to compete.
munster#1
Malcolm O'Kelly

Re: James Lowe signs for Leinster

Postby jezzer » March 7th, 2017, 12:46 pm

munster#1 wrote:I will never begrudge any player who becomes Irish qualified through the residency rule.

But I really hope that the time is extended soon. The potential of seeing an Irish team that contains Marshall, Kleyn, Quinn Roux, stander, jgp, Tyler, Aki and Lowe is not beyond the realms of possibility, and most if not all of those will become capped Irish internationals.

We could add more to that list or change players, and I'm sure others will, which is a real shame. And is something that the Irish have been slagging the all blacks off about for years, and more recently the English.

If the current trend does not come to an end, then international rugby teams will be no more than big clubs, buying players to allow them to compete.

Seriously doubt we would ever see an Irish team with that many imports played on the field at once, but I still agree with your overall point. Needs to happen soon for credibility to stay in test rugby.
jezzer
Brian O'Driscoll

Postby simonokeeffe » March 7th, 2017, 12:55 pm

looks like it will happen in May though, probably 99% of fans support increasing it at the very least

Graham Henry when he was in charge was complainign about them losing their middle management so to speak, and that was guys with a few caps now whats happening is guys in their early prime but no caps like Aki, Manu, McNicholl, Halaholo, Marshall are thinking well am not on All Black money so I can make way way more money playing rugby a good level elsewhere, see the world (and Newport), and maybe maybe play international rugby for someone else

The ability to qualify increases their earning potential and their pro careers can always end at pretty much any moment
When he spreads his legs like that youd need dynamite or the Highland Light Infantry to shift him.
simonokeeffe
Leo Cullen

Postby riocard911 » March 7th, 2017, 1:10 pm

jezzer wrote:
munster#1 wrote:I will never begrudge any player who becomes Irish qualified through the residency rule.

Seriously doubt we would ever see an Irish team with that many imports played on the field at once, but I still agree with your overall point. Needs to happen soon for credibility to stay in test rugby.

+1
riocard911
Enlightened

Return to International Rugby