International eligibility rules

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

munster#1
Shane Jennings

International eligibility rules

Post by munster#1 »

I will never begrudge any player who becomes Irish qualified through the residency rule.
We like all nations must play within the rules, and we do so.

But I really hope that the time is extended soon. The potential of seeing an Irish team that contains Marshall, Kleyn, Quinn Roux, stander, jgp, Tyler, Aki and Lowe is not beyond the realms of possibility, and most if not all of those will become capped Irish internationals.

We could add more to that list or change players, and I'm sure others will, which is a real shame. And is something that the Irish have been slagging the all blacks off about for years, and more recently the English.

If the current trend does not come to an end, then international rugby teams will be no more than big clubs, buying players to allow them to compete.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Re: James Lowe signs for Leinster

Post by jezzer »

munster#1 wrote:I will never begrudge any player who becomes Irish qualified through the residency rule.

But I really hope that the time is extended soon. The potential of seeing an Irish team that contains Marshall, Kleyn, Quinn Roux, stander, jgp, Tyler, Aki and Lowe is not beyond the realms of possibility, and most if not all of those will become capped Irish internationals.

We could add more to that list or change players, and I'm sure others will, which is a real shame. And is something that the Irish have been slagging the all blacks off about for years, and more recently the English.

If the current trend does not come to an end, then international rugby teams will be no more than big clubs, buying players to allow them to compete.
Seriously doubt we would ever see an Irish team with that many imports played on the field at once, but I still agree with your overall point. Needs to happen soon for credibility to stay in test rugby.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

looks like it will happen in May though, probably 99% of fans support increasing it at the very least

Graham Henry when he was in charge was complainign about them losing their middle management so to speak, and that was guys with a few caps now whats happening is guys in their early prime but no caps like Aki, Manu, McNicholl, Halaholo, Marshall are thinking well am not on All Black money so I can make way way more money playing rugby a good level elsewhere, see the world (and Newport), and maybe maybe play international rugby for someone else

The ability to qualify increases their earning potential and their pro careers can always end at pretty much any moment
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

jezzer wrote:
munster#1 wrote:I will never begrudge any player who becomes Irish qualified through the residency rule.

Seriously doubt we would ever see an Irish team with that many imports played on the field at once, but I still agree with your overall point. Needs to happen soon for credibility to stay in test rugby.
+1
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Re: International eligibility rules

Post by simonokeeffe »

Change has gone through

5 years (60 consecutive months) from December 2020 or 10 cumulative years

Also u20s cant be your designated second team. Think that only effects Wales in Tier 1 but might fupp a lot of Tier 2 especially at JRWC
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

That means a rush to sign players before the end of this year. James Lowe could be IQ (for example) Munster could sign a tight head from super rugby or Currie cup. (for example) who would be IQ by 2020.

Be interesting to see which country's teams sign projects this year.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

johng wrote:That means a rush to sign players before the end of this year. James Lowe could be IQ (for example) Munster could sign a tight head from super rugby or Currie cup. (for example) who would be IQ by 2020.

Edinburgh will sign 10 :D

deadline seems a bit far but am guessing it was under auspices of entirely clean slate so to speak (ie 3 years and a bit from now)/compromise

trying to dig up a list of designated 2nd teams too re the u20s change
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Wondering what happens in the following scenario:

James Lowe joins Leinster in October/November 2017 (whenever he finishes up with Tasman). This will make him eligible to play for Ireland in the Autumn Internationals in 2020, just before the new rules come in. He decides to declare for Ireland and his form warrants a call-up but he picks up an injury and can't play in those games. So, if he fails to make his debut before Jan 1 2021, does he then have to wait another two years to be eligible again?
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

cormac wrote:Wondering what happens in the following scenario:

James Lowe joins Leinster in October/November 2017 (whenever he finishes up with Tasman). This will make him eligible to play for Ireland in the Autumn Internationals in 2020, just before the new rules come in. He decides to declare for Ireland and his form warrants a call-up but he picks up an injury and can't play in those games. So, if he fails to make his debut before Jan 1 2021, does he then have to wait another two years to be eligible again?
Once you are eligible you are eligible surely?
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

johng wrote:
cormac wrote:Wondering what happens in the following scenario:

Once you are eligible you are eligible surely?
I'd assume so too but I'd be seeking clarification.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

simonokeeffe wrote:
johng wrote:That means a rush to sign players before the end of this year. James Lowe could be IQ (for example) Munster could sign a tight head from super rugby or Currie cup. (for example) who would be IQ by 2020.

Edinburgh will sign 10 :D

deadline seems a bit far but am guessing it was under auspices of entirely clean slate so to speak (ie 3 years and a bit from now)/compromise

trying to dig up a list of designated 2nd teams too re the u20s change
Italy, France and South Africa currently. Wales were, but have switched to an 'A' side.

https://pulse-static-files.s3.amazonaws ... 201....pdf
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Chapeau Neil, thought Boks used SA A but that explains why Murray Kinsella said George McGuigan is still IQ

@Cormac I thought it was 3 years for all players who sign/move before 2020? or am I reading that wrong?
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

simonokeeffe wrote:Chapeau Neil, thought Boks used SA A but that explains why Murray Kinsella said George McGuigan is still IQ

@Cormac I thought it was 3 years for all players who sign/move before 2020? or am I reading that wrong?
It's not 100% clear. Will a player signing for 18/19 be IQ'd in 3 or 5 yrs?
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

neill_m wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:Chapeau Neil, thought Boks used SA A but that explains why Murray Kinsella said George McGuigan is still IQ

coulda sworn it was 3 years for anyone who signs before 2021
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

simonokeeffe wrote:
neill_m wrote:

So the provinces can sign players for 2020/21 season and it's only a 3 yr residency period?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

If a player signs a contract that will result in his being qualified by residency by 31 December 2020 then the period is three years.

Basically, sign them for the coming season or its 5 years. Anyone currently undergoing the process or about the start the process at the start/first half of next season is under the old regulation, but anyone signed from 1/1/18 is under the new
I have Bumbleflex
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

simonokeeffe wrote:
neill_m wrote:

Seems pretty obvious to me. Sign before 31 Dec 2017 and it's three years qualification as the five-year rule starts on 1 Jan 2021. Residency needs to be completed before then. Sign from 1 Jan 2018 and it'll be five years.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Cheers Dave

This is what happens when I read things early in the morning
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

Is there a chance that this might make the situation worse with some like France and NZ just trawling up lots of guys at a younger age so the 5 years is not an issue as it will take them that long to develop.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Fireworks wrote:Is there a chance that this might make the situation worse with some like France and NZ just trawling up lots of guys at a younger age so the 5 years is not an issue as it will take them that long to develop.
Indeed if the Tier 1 sides identify talent at 13/14 and offer scholarships etc, then making it 5 years will not do a lot of good. If the residency period only started once someone turned 18, that might help.