Ireland v. England

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

ribs
Mullet

Re: Ireland v. England

Post by ribs »

Why bother picking an 8 who can pick up from the base of the scrum? There will be very few Ireland put ins next week.
...a beautiful weighted pass...it is 3 on 2...it is 3 on 1...Hickie!...Magnificent!
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

ribs wrote:Why bother picking an 8 who can pick up from the base of the scrum? There will be very few Ireland put ins next week.
Options and in Joespeak small margins. Option does not exist with JH at 8 unless you switch their positions for specific scrums!!!
9 Irish scrums last year, 8 the year before.
As long as we continue to play the aerial game there will be Irish scrums.
Last edited by All Blacks nil on March 13th, 2017, 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Donny B. wrote:Would drop Heaslip and O'Brien. We've too much talent in the backrow to tolerate such shitty performances from them both. Would bring in O'Mahony and Leavy ahead of van der Flier. Heaslip and O'Brien can come back at some stage but they need to learn that playing shite has consequences. In particular O'Brien's garbage pass to no one when we were down to 14 men (which led directly to Wales's second try) had to earn some punishment if Joe is serious about players having responsibility. Serious case to be made about dropping Dev for Henderson too. The lineout let us down again and it's Dev's baby, so he has to take responsibility.

None of the back three should be safe either. Kearney couldn't tackle a fish supper and Payne should replace him. Earls is a quick player but his defensive positioning continues to cost us and it's time to give other options a chance, while Zebo simply looks slow and out of condition.
A player under instruction from the coach and failing(SOB) generally gets a bye. Heaslip is the vice captain, Schmidt has to stand over that decision even in the face of a bad performance. Has to, no question. Dev wasn't even on the field when Best threw it in on the wrong side to Charteris, how is he culpable there? POM couldn't fix the lineout issue 2 years ago and didn't again this year. It's about time people faced facts. Iffy Darts! And it's not just for Ireland. Dev can't catch the ball for other players. Again though, Schmidt has to stand over his captain.

Agree about the back 3. Need more pace and invention.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

Nobody is going to be launched into the team from outside the squad, nor should they - selecting Sweetnam or Byrne for example would be unfair on them. We have the summer and very importantly the autumn to do that (and it needs to be done).

That said there needs to be some changes in personnel and approach - give people some licence - we are slavish to a system, and the system has been found out to a certain extent. The use of the bench needs to be overhauled completely - it was as bad as I've seen last week. Bringing the three guys on at the end was a joke. Bowe was the wrong pick and no doubt Gilroy would have been introduced if we had him available. I can just about understand Best, although don't necessarily agree. Ryan should have come on earlier for Furlong, for fresh legs alone. Taking Stander off (i don't think he was injured) instead of either of the other two was madness. Thats before you think about what he did with Marmion, which was the worst of all.

In light of that

Front Row:Healy/Best/Furlong
McGrath has not had the best of championships, and Healy has been ok.

Second Row: Ryan/Toner
Was tempted to start henderson ahead of Toner, but give him another game - taht said if we have more useless carrying and the lineout fails again we may need a rethink (in no way can you absolve Toner of blame of the lineout)

Back Row: POM/JVDF /Stander
SOB has not been at his best this year. POM has to come in for various reasons. Stander has bene our best backrower and 8 is his best position. Leavy possibly instead of VDF. Tough on Heaslip but he has been hot and cold and I don't think you can drop Stander

Halves: Murray/Sexton
Obviously Marmion if Murray is injured (and it wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing in the long run as Marmion needs to be trusted in the way that he wasn't last week)

Centres: Henshaw/Ringrose
Still not happy with what we are doing with Henshaw - he is a once in a generation player for us and we have reduced him to a battering ram. We also need to let Ringrose play a bit more of his own game rather than copying Payne. Not sure if tehse two are the best going forward though(certainly not the way they are being asked to play)

Back 3: Earls/Payne/Gilroy
Would have suggested TOH but Payne offers more in a general sense. Zebo has looked poor realtive to his Munster perforances in teh last couple of games - he looks like he is carrying an injury, or just playing within himself (he has referenced ho win Munster he is not afraid of making mnistakes as he is backed - don't think tahts the case with Ireland). Gilroy has speed and we need it - might be some concerns about his defence but we need to take a punt at some time

Bench: Ryan/Scannell/McGrath/Henderson/SOB/Marmion/Jackson/Zebo

Was tempted to give Kilcoyne a go but wait until summer. SOB offers cover across any position and is still capable of big impact. Use of the bench is more important

Al in all only 3 changes to the 23 with 5 change in the starting 15.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

All Blacks nil wrote:
ribs wrote:Why bother picking an 8 who can pick up from the base of the scrum? There will be very few Ireland put ins next week.
Options and in Joespeak small margins. Option does not exist with JH at 8 unless you switch their positions for specific scrums!!!
9 Irish scrums last year, 8 the year before.
As long as we continue to play the aerial game there will be Irish scrums.
Amazing how quickly memories fade AB.
Have you already forgotten Henshaws try against NZ in Chicago?
There's a lot more to rugby than having a carrying no. 8.
Unless your name is Billy Vunipola then it's overrated.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

paddyor wrote:
Donny B. wrote:Would drop Heaslip and O'Brien. We've too much talent in the backrow to tolerate such shitty performances from them both. Would bring in O'Mahony and Leavy ahead of van der Flier. Heaslip and O'Brien can come back at some stage but they need to learn that playing shite has consequences. In particular O'Brien's garbage pass to no one when we were down to 14 men (which led directly to Wales's second try) had to earn some punishment if Joe is serious about players having responsibility. Serious case to be made about dropping Dev for Henderson too. The lineout let us down again and it's Dev's baby, so he has to take responsibility.

None of the back three should be safe either. Kearney couldn't tackle a fish supper and Payne should replace him. Earls is a quick player but his defensive positioning continues to cost us and it's time to give other options a chance, while Zebo simply looks slow and out of condition.
A player under instruction from the coach and failing(SOB) generally gets a bye. Heaslip is the vice captain, Schmidt has to stand over that decision even in the face of a bad performance. Has to, no question. Dev wasn't even on the field when Best threw it in on the wrong side to Charteris, how is he culpable there? POM couldn't fix the lineout issue 2 years ago and didn't again this year. It's about time people faced facts. Iffy Darts! And it's not just for Ireland. Dev can't catch the ball for other players. Again though, Schmidt has to stand over his captain.

Agree about the back 3. Need more pace and invention.
The line out is a mixed bag of responsibility but if the pitcher is off then nothing else matters.
However a very bad decision to throw long on our first lineout on their line. That decision should be question today in the post mortem.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

Heaslip puts in one poor performance and suddenly he has to be dropped. He's been excellent for months, how quickly this has been forgotten. I understand that people don't like him much, but seriously. It's worth pointing out that Stander, one run when given plenty of space aside, didn't exactly light up proceedings on Friday night either.

I've no issue with SOB being dropped in favour of POM, he's been ordinary for most of the tournament - I'm not even sure he makes the 23 now.

Oldschool - Throwing long on the first lineout was a bizarre decision alright, and Best's darts are once again becoming an issue.
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Luke McGrath must be the most interested spectator regarding the injury reports this morning.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Hippo wrote:Heaslip puts in one poor performance and suddenly he has to be dropped. He's been excellent for months, how quickly this has been forgotten. I understand that people don't like him much, but seriously. It's worth pointing out that Stander, one run when given plenty of space aside, didn't exactly light up proceedings on Friday night either..
Heaslip didn't actually put in a poor performance, at least not within the context of the general Irish performance. That doesn't suit the developing narrative though.
I have Bumbleflex
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

Dave Cahill wrote:
Hippo wrote:Heaslip puts in one poor performance and suddenly he has to be dropped. He's been excellent for months, how quickly this has been forgotten. I understand that people don't like him much, but seriously. It's worth pointing out that Stander, one run when given plenty of space aside, didn't exactly light up proceedings on Friday night either..
Heaslip didn't actually put in a poor performance, at least not within the context of the general Irish performance. That doesn't suit the developing narrative though.
You're right of course. I was trying to accommodate the foe a little in a show of conciliatory recognition, a crucial error on my part. He was never going to be forgiven those two knock-ons though :)
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Golf Man wrote:Nobody is going to be launched into the team from outside the squad, nor should they - selecting Sweetnam or Byrne for example would be unfair on them. We have the summer and very importantly the autumn to do that (and it needs to be done).

That said there needs to be some changes in personnel and approach - give people some licence - we are slavish to a system, and the system has been found out to a certain extent. The use of the bench needs to be overhauled completely - it was as bad as I've seen last week. Bringing the three guys on at the end was a joke. Bowe was the wrong pick and no doubt Gilroy would have been introduced if we had him available. I can just about understand Best, although don't necessarily agree. Ryan should have come on earlier for Furlong, for fresh legs alone. Taking Stander off (i don't think he was injured) instead of either of the other two was madness. Thats before you think about what he did with Marmion, which was the worst of all.

In light of that

Was tempted to start henderson ahead of Toner, but give him another game - taht said if we have more useless carrying and the lineout fails again we may need a rethink (in no way can you absolve Toner of blame of the lineout)

SOB has not been at his best this year. POM has to come in for various reasons. Stander has bene our best backrower and 8 is his best position. Leavy possibly instead of VDF. Tough on Heaslip but he has been hot and cold and I don't think you can drop Stander

Obviously Marmion if Murray is injured (and it wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing in the long run as Marmion needs to be trusted in the way that he wasn't last week)

Still not happy with what we are doing with Henshaw - he is a once in a generation player for us and we have reduced him to a battering ram. We also need to let Ringrose play a bit more of his own game rather than copying Payne. Not sure if tehse two are the best going forward though(certainly not the way they are being asked to play)

Would have suggested TOH but Payne offers more in a general sense. Zebo has looked poor realtive to his Munster perforances in teh last couple of games - he looks like he is carrying an injury, or just playing within himself (he has referenced ho win Munster he is not afraid of making mnistakes as he is backed - don't think tahts the case with Ireland). Gilroy has speed and we need it - might be some concerns about his defence but we need to take a punt at some time

Was tempted to give Kilcoyne a go but wait until summer. SOB offers cover across any position and is still capable of big impact. Use of the bench is more important

As usual GM some good comments and then the mask slipped.
It's all about carrying with you.
Did you ask yourself why Dev carried as much as he did.
Do you think he decided all on his own that he was going to carry. Of course he didn't - it was preplanned that his work load would go up and that as a result he would be the one to be subbed - It's all there if you want to see it.
Heaslip hardly carried at all he was otherwise engaged but because he didn't carry he had a shyte game, qed.
Stander coming off seemed to be a bit of a surprise but again it was probably all about workload
Regarding the other subs Joe didn't cover himself in glory.
As regards new faces for England you're right changes will be minimal but Payne and Carberry could fit in seemlessly - where we can leave Joe to decide.
POM should start with SOB on the bench - Conan for his power is the other option but given that it's Cheltenham week that'll be a non runner.
Scannell should start but won't but Joe has to be prepared to act quickly if we see more of the same old same old.
We're well covered in the front row there's absolutely no need for new personel but Joe needs to make much better use of those resources.
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

Hippo wrote:Heaslip puts in one poor performance and suddenly he has to be dropped. He's been excellent for months, how quickly this has been forgotten. I understand that people don't like him much, but seriously. It's worth pointing out that Stander, one run when given plenty of space aside, didn't exactly light up proceedings on Friday night either.

I've no issue with SOB being dropped in favour of POM, he's been ordinary for most of the tournament - I'm not even sure he makes the 23 now.

Oldschool - Throwing long on the first lineout was a bizarre decision alright, and Best's darts are once again becoming an issue.
I don't think Heaslip has to be dropped

I do think we need to change the backrow and not particularly favouring POM at 7 - (although against England that might be ok given their backrow). Personally I'd like to see POM at 6. If you have that as a starting point then you have to choose between Heaslip and Stander, as you have to bring in VDF or Leavy to play 7. Personally I think Stander has been the best and most consistent of our backrows, and I think he is better suited to 8 than 6. But there is absolutely an argument that Heaslip should start and possibly have Stander on the bench. We were outgunned in the backrow at the weekend - and I don't think it was a real surprise. With the strength in the backrow we shouldn't be afraid to make changes - not like VDF and POM haven't produced great games at this level either so I don't see it as a huge risk.
Dave Cahill wrote:Heaslip didn't actually put in a poor performance, at least not within the context of the general Irish performance. That doesn't suit the developing narrative though.
While you are suggesting and underhanded nature to all of this, the real call here is for POM to come back into the team (a lot is focused on his line out work which has obviously been an issue for us in the two losses, he also offers a huge amount elsewhere). If thats the call then you have to either put POM at 7 (square peg right there) or you have to choose between Heaslip and Stander - I don't anybody could realistically claim thats an easy and straight forward decision
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Golf Man wrote:
Hippo wrote:Heaslip puts in one poor performance and suddenly he has to be dropped. He's been excellent for months, how quickly this has been forgotten. I understand that people don't like him much, but seriously. It's worth pointing out that Stander, one run when given plenty of space aside, didn't exactly light up proceedings on Friday night either.

I don't think Heaslip has to be dropped

I do think we need to change the backrow and not particularly favouring POM at 7 - (although against England that might be ok given their backrow). Personally I'd like to see POM at 6. If you have that as a starting point then you have to choose between Heaslip and Stander, as you have to bring in VDF or Leavy to play 7. Personally I think Stander has been the best and most consistent of our backrows, and I think he is better suited to 8 than 6. But there is absolutely an argument that Heaslip should start and possibly have Stander on the bench. We were outgunned in the backrow at the weekend - and I don't think it was a real surprise. With the strength in the backrow we shouldn't be afraid to make changes - not like VDF and POM haven't produced great games at this level either so I don't see it as a huge risk.
Dave Cahill wrote:Heaslip didn't actually put in a poor performance, at least not within the context of the general Irish performance. That doesn't suit the developing narrative though.
While you are suggesting and underhanded nature to all of this, the real call here is for POM to come back into the team (a lot is focused on his line out work which has obviously been an issue for us in the two losses, he also offers a huge amount elsewhere). If thats the call then you have to either put POM at 7 (square peg right there) or you have to choose between Heaslip and Stander - I don't anybody could realistically claim thats an easy and straight forward decision
Don't know whether you realise it or not but Leinster use Heaslip quite a bit for lineouts - very successfully I might add.
Stander was tried against Wales and failed - it's easy to throw stones if that's what you're looking to do. You need your no. 8 to be able to deliver lineout ball.
Give it up you're back in broken record territory - again.
Go back and rewatch the match you might actually see who was doing what.
Last edited by Oldschool on March 13th, 2017, 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
brenno
Bookworm

Post by brenno »

+1

Pains me to say it but SOB is a pale shadow of the player who used to terrorise opposition with his ball carrying. Our back row as it is is totally unbalanced with no out and out 7. Next week, POM at 6, VDF (if fit Leavy if he's not) and CJ at 8. Won't happen though fortunately. POM also adds another line out option - one we sadly missed on Friday night.

If Murray isn't fit for next week, I've no problem with Marmiom - thought he did well when he came on on Friday. Would be nervous though about Luke McG coming on later in the game though.
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

Oldschool wrote:
Golf Man wrote:Nobody is going to be launched into the team from outside the squad, nor should they - selecting Sweetnam or Byrne for example would be unfair on them. We have the summer and very importantly the autumn to do that (and it needs to be done).

In light of that

Do you think he decided all on his own that he was going to carry. Of course he didn't - it was preplanned that his work load would go up and that as a result he would be the one to be subbed - It's all there if you want to see it.
Heaslip hardly carried at all he was otherwise engaged but because he didn't carry he had a shyte game, qed.
Stander coming off seemed to be a bit of a surprise but again it was probably all about workload
As regards new faces for England you're right changes will be minimal but Payne and Carberry could fit in seemlessly - where we can leave Joe to decide.
POM should start with SOB on the bench - Conan for his power is the other option but given that it's Cheltenham week that'll be a non runner.
Scannell should start but won't but Joe has to be prepared to act quickly if we see more of the same old same old.
We're well covered in the front row there's absolutely no need for new personel but Joe needs to make much better use of those resources.
Do you have these pre-prepared? Maybe edit slightly before posting

I know you believe you know exactly what Schmidt does but just a few little issues with this post

Toner - enough with workload rubbish - Toner carried 6 times on Friday - the same as he did against France and 1 less than he did v Scotland. He has carried the ball 21 times in the 4 games for 13m. Carrying is not Toners strength so if Schmidt is telling him to carry as you claim, then you have to raise questions about Schmidt. You're shooting in the dark on Toner and trying to absolve him - maul, lineout and scrum are Toners big plus points and are key - when they misfire then he has to get some of the blame.

Heaslip - you claim he hardly carried - he carried 16 times, which was the highest number (with Zebo). I said Heaslip has been a bit hot and cold in this 6 Nations, I didn't say he was "shyte" - note that its in the context of a Stander or Heaslip at 8, not about Heaslips performance (either of them would be very unlucky to be dropped)

Stander - workload rubbish again - very hard to justify this - SOB hasn't looked an 80 minute player for some time tbh. And if Schmidt is pre-planning his subs then there are more questions

Carberry - think it would be very harsh on Jackson (although he does seem to be one that he has no issue calling out). He is an exciting player but not sure at 10 yet and would go completely against Schmidts form for going for the safe option on the bench. His kicking is obviously a concern as well

POM - do you not think POM at 7 is an issue - he has never played there (although as I said, I'm open to it v England because they are not exactly groundhogs)

Best - you obviously decided to blame Best completely for the line out. No way should he be dropped but he does need to be replaced earlier (no sure how you can justify your arguements for Toner and Heaslip and then claim that best should be dropped)

Scmidts use of the bench - didn't cover himself in glory is giving him a huge pass - several coaches have been criticized for capping guys at the end of a game. Doing it with 4 of them, when you are chasing a game????. Also if he has pre-planned subs as you being in the know have suggested - why on earth would you not have more? He got 6 of the 8 substitute calls badly wrong at the weekend
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Golf Man wrote:
Oldschool wrote:

In light of that

Do you have these pre-prepared? Maybe edit slightly before posting

I know you believe you know exactly what Schmidt does but just a few little issues with this post

Toner - enough with workload rubbish - Toner carried 6 times on Friday - the same as he did against France and 1 less than he did v Scotland. He has carried the ball 21 times in the 4 games for 13m. Carrying is not Toners strength so if Schmidt is telling him to carry as you claim, then you have to raise questions about Schmidt. You're shooting in the dark on Toner and trying to absolve him - maul, lineout and scrum are Toners big plus points and are key - when they misfire then he has to get some of the blame.

Heaslip - you claim he hardly carried - he carried 16 times, which was the highest number (with Zebo). I said Heaslip has been a bit hot and cold in this 6 Nations, I didn't say he was "shyte" - note that its in the context of a Stander or Heaslip at 8, not about Heaslips performance (either of them would be very unlucky to be dropped)

Stander - workload rubbish again - very hard to justify this - SOB hasn't looked an 80 minute player for some time tbh. And if Schmidt is pre-planning his subs then there are more questions

Carberry - think it would be very harsh on Jackson (although he does seem to be one that he has no issue calling out). He is an exciting player but not sure at 10 yet and would go completely against Schmidts form for going for the safe option on the bench. His kicking is obviously a concern as well

POM - do you not think POM at 7 is an issue - he has never played there (although as I said, I'm open to it v England because they are not exactly groundhogs)

Best - you obviously decided to blame Best completely for the line out. No way should he be dropped but he does need to be replaced earlier (no sure how you can justify your arguements for Toner and Heaslip and then claim that best should be dropped)

Scmidts use of the bench - didn't cover himself in glory is giving him a huge pass - several coaches have been criticized for capping guys at the end of a game. Doing it with 4 of them, when you are chasing a game????. Also if he has pre-planned subs as you being in the know have suggested - why on earth would you not have more? He got 6 of the 8 substitute calls badly wrong at the weekend
Great post, up to your usual standards.
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

Oldschool wrote: Don't know whether you realise it or not but Leinster use Heaslip quite a bit for lineouts - very successfully I might add.
Stander was tried against Wales and failed - it's easy to throw stones if that's what you're looking to do. You need your no. 8 to be able to deliver lineout ball.
Again with the pre-packed posts
I didn't mention the lineout re Stander and Heaslip (although I'd be pretty sure I'm on record here as stating that Heaslip is the best option in that regard at No.8). Heaslip was ok at the weekend - a couple of poor handling errors but generally good otherwise - neither he nor Stander were "failures"

If you leave Stander at 6 then Heaslip obviously plays at 8, and nobody will have issue with that. If you decide that you want a 7 at 7 (and against England I really think we should rather than a 6 at 7) and you decide that you want POM in the team (as I do) then you are left with a choice at 8. I don't believe that choice is clear cut, and whoever loses out will be desperately unlucky

I expect Schmidt to go

POM/SOB/Heaslip with Stander on the bench

I can live with that although SOB would be lucky (been relatively speaking the worst of the backrow) and Stander would be hugely unlucky (as imo relatively speaking the best of the backrow so far)

Honestly I think its a real reach for you to make out there an agenda or a broken record on what I'm posting on this - you on the other are you can't countenance Heaslip being replaced by Stander - no player should be that nailed on when we have such good alternatives
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Golf Man wrote:
Oldschool wrote: Don't know whether you realise it or not but Leinster use Heaslip quite a bit for lineouts - very successfully I might add.
Again with the pre-packed posts
I didn't mention the lineout re Stander and Heaslip (although I'd be pretty sure I'm on record here as stating that Heaslip is the best option in that regard at No.8). Heaslip was ok at the weekend - a couple of poor handling errors but generally good otherwise - neither he nor Stander were "failures"

If you leave Stander at 6 then Heaslip obviously plays at 8, and nobody will have issue with that. If you decide that you want a 7 at 7 (and against England I really think we should rather than a 6 at 7) and you decide that you want POM in the team (as I do) then you are left with a choice at 8. I don't believe that choice is clear cut, and whoever loses out will be desperately unlucky

I expect Schmidt to go

POM/SOB/Heaslip with Stander on the bench

I can live with that although SOB would be lucky (been relatively speaking the worst of the backrow) and Stander would be hugely unlucky (as imo relatively speaking the best of the backrow so far)

Honestly I think its a real reach for you to make out there an agenda or a broken record on what I'm posting on this - you on the other are you can't countenance Heaslip being replaced by Stander - no player should be that nailed on when we have such good alternatives
You're on a roll - another great post.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Golf Man wrote:Honestly I think its a real reach for you to make out there an agenda or a broken record on what I'm posting on this
You've been trolling regarding Heaslip for years now. Stop playing innocent, you're about as transparent as glass.
Anyone But New Zealand
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

One of the main reasons Toner carried a lot is that Ireland generated over 140 breakdowns. No matter who are designated as primary bal carriers it is impossible to service that amount of breakdowns.
Toner is never going to be a dynamic ball carrier but is a really effective member of a ball carrying pod with his clearout work. However, the number of breakdowns we instigated caused the pods to be fragmented and Toner ended up having to carry andwas literally chopped down.
Remember those 140 breakdowns do not include any Welsh possession. Include those and you have nearly 250 breakdowns.