Ireland v. England

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Re: Ireland v. England

Post by Oldschool »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:
Laighin Break wrote:I know they're playing different positions, but really looking forward to seeing a Itoje - Hendy battle (assuming they're both used as similar attacking weapons).
I'm hoping Henderson will prove me wrong and show he has the lungs to push and run.
I've been disappointed with him lately but more than happy to have my mind changed.
For a SR he's on the young side so he will need to be substituted.
He is a dynamic ball carrier and he may shift the focus and help the BR in that respect.
Don't think he was match fit for the Scotland.
Question si - how do posters feel Henderson's selection will affect our forward play
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Oldschool wrote:
Oldschoolsocks wrote:
Laighin Break wrote:I know they're playing different positions, but really looking forward to seeing a Itoje - Hendy battle (assuming they're both used as similar attacking weapons).
I'm hoping Henderson will prove me wrong and show he has the lungs to push and run.
I've been disappointed with him lately but more than happy to have my mind changed.
He is a dynamic ball carrier and he may shift the focus and help the BR in that respect.
Question si - how do posters feel Henderson's selection will affect our forward play
I'm hoping we get the rampaging force of nature who announced himself after substituting the injured POC v France at last World Cup.

But what we need is the boys hitting beyond the ruck getting rapid ruck ball to be whipped out to next best placed player - so if this is what is delivered I'm all for it :)
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Oldschool wrote:
Oldschoolsocks wrote:
not sure the question is how Henderson affects our forward play its how well he will play?
but him and Ryan could be a disruptive combination when england have the ball
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
MunsterSugar
Knowledgeable

Post by MunsterSugar »

Very strong rumours Earls is out. Olding supposedly called in but don't see how he'd fit the 23 shirt for whats beeded positionally.
Conway looks set to start
*** Edited by mod - WUM ***
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Ireland v. England

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

MunsterSugar wrote:Very strong rumours Earls is out. Olding supposedly called in but don't see how he'd fit the 23 shirt for whats beeded positionally.
Close enough to like for like. Conway arguably a bit stronger in the air.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Conway's got pace and will be an unknown to a lot the English players which might work in our advantage. Olding I could see coming in at 12 and Henshaw going to 13 to mix things up in terms of distribution. Will be interesting from a purely tactical perspective to see how things go. Really hope Henderson has a big game, I haven't being too impressed with him in an Irish shirt the last few times I've seen him so hope he proves me wrong.
Cor. Ind.
Learner

Post by Cor. Ind. »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:
MunsterSugar wrote:Very strong rumours Earls is out. Olding supposedly called in but don't see how he'd fit the 23 shirt for whats beeded positionally.
Big loss if true. He's been our best outside back in a poor 6N for Ireland. Upside is that it allows Zebo to play in his natural position of 11 and move Conway to his preferred 14. Can't believe Olding will come straight into the 23 - Brings back memories of Paddy Wallace being swept off a beach to get hockeyed 60 nil down under. Where's Gilroy and the feted Fadden?
"Only in America!"

Yogi Berra - on learning the Lord Mayor of Dublin was a Jew.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:
Earls had a groin injury, no surprise and glad Joe is learning the lesson that injured poayers are not as good as fit alternatives.
McFadden would be the most likely 23 given he was called up very early in the week.
Wouldn't rule Gilroy out either - If it's a close game he'd be a real threat to bring on late in the game.
He's lucky too - a hat trick against Italy in 14 mins with loads of balls bouncing his way - Napokean Joe might just swing his way.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Definitely the most surprising selection since JS became Coach. Fear for the consequences.
Marmion was out of his hands and Payne is at worst as good as kearney. This selection is hardly out there - 3 changes in the 23. There are no left field decisions - should be no.more fear than if we had gone with the same team surely??

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
MunsterSugar
Knowledgeable

Post by MunsterSugar »

Earls passed fit.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

MunsterSugar wrote:Earls passed fit.
Good news. Hope he stays fit.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

ronk wrote:
MunsterSugar wrote:Earls passed fit.
Good news. Hope he stays fit.
At this stage England probably don't know what Ireland team is going to show up tomorrow. :lol:
tigerburnie
Enlightened

Post by tigerburnie »

Hi all not been on for a while, been poorly, funny old 6 nations this year, didn't want Jones getting the England job, I can still see his face when Martin Johnson got the WC from the Aussie pm. Fair do's though he has made a pretty good silk purse out of what was a sows earse when Lancaster had finished with them. Fancy there might be more singing of "Swing Low" than "the Fields of Athenry" at the end however(and yes I did have to google how to spell it). Good luck all.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

tigerburnie wrote:Hi all not been on for a while, been poorly, funny old 6 nations this year, didn't want Jones getting the England job, I can still see his face when Martin Johnson got the WC from the Aussie pm. Fair do's though he has made a pretty good silk purse out of what was a sows earse when Lancaster had finished with them. Fancy there might be more singing of "Swing Low" than "the Fields of Athenry" at the end however(and yes I did have to google how to spell it). Good luck all.
If you're over I hope you're enjoying yourself.
tigerburnie
Enlightened

Post by tigerburnie »

Oldschool wrote:
tigerburnie wrote:Hi all not been on for a while, been poorly, funny old 6 nations this year, didn't want Jones getting the England job, I can still see his face when Martin Johnson got the WC from the Aussie pm. Fair do's though he has made a pretty good silk purse out of what was a sows earse when Lancaster had finished with them. Fancy there might be more singing of "Swing Low" than "the Fields of Athenry" at the end however(and yes I did have to google how to spell it). Good luck all.
Sadly not, waiting to have my Gall Bladder removed, got an appointment on Tuesday, will be shouting at the tv instead, thanks for the kind wishes.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

simonokeeffe wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:Definitely the most surprising selection since JS became Coach. Fear for the consequences.
I see Dev being dropped as a symptom the coaching loosing faith in the set piece into which he feeds most.
As you've said earlier, expect to see some of the connacht gameplan. A pity Dillane is not available.
Bigtime

If Dev isnt delivering in the set piece then his value massively decreases. Hes got good hands, work rate, fitness, tackle count but (at this level) hes not good at carrying, slowing ball, defensive lineout; hes an awkward fit/awkward to partner up
Dillane fit or not doesn't change the fact that, and I've said it often enough, there isn't an Irish lock that wouldn't need four or so injuries to make the English 23.

They are ludicrously strong there. We aren't. No matter the selection.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

tigerburnie wrote:
Oldschool wrote:
Sadly not, waiting to have my Gall Bladder removed, got an appointment on Tuesday, will be shouting at the tv instead, thanks for the kind wishes.

All the best, for what it's worth I don't think you will have a stressful afternoon watching tomorrow!

Unfortunately England did all their bad playing in the earlier rounds and got away with it, at fuller strength and humming now it could be ugly for us tomorrow.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

fourthirtythree wrote:
Dillane fit or not doesn't change the fact that, and I've said it often enough, there isn't an Irish lock that wouldn't need four or so injuries to make the English 23.

They are ludicrously strong there. We aren't. No matter the selection.
yeah, Itoje Launchbury Lawes Kruis is some panel
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
MunsterSugar
Knowledgeable

Post by MunsterSugar »

Not the exact right area but share a thought for the end of an era today too. RTE showing 6Nations for last time
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

f%~k?'em. Good riddance, their coverage was, for many years, a blight on the game
I have Bumbleflex