Ireland v. England

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Ireland v. England

Post by Golf Man »

FLIP wrote:
Golf Man wrote:Honestly I think its a real reach for you to make out there an agenda or a broken record on what I'm posting on this
You've been trolling regarding Heaslip for years now. Stop playing innocent, you're about as transparent as glass.
Touched a nerve obviously!

Heaslip is a guy that can't be criticized here and is over criticized elsewhere
I think Heaslip had up and down performances for a couple of years, more up obviously but there were poor performances in there
He reacted particularly well when Stander came into the team as his first real opposition in years and has been excellent for the last year or so coming up to the 6 Nations
Himself and Stander have been the best of the starting backrows for us in the last 4 games
We have two excellent options at 8 that I believe that we should choose between because I think we are better served with POM at 6 first and foremost. If you are choosing either Stander or Heaslip then I don't think its a straight forward decision
Having Stander or Heaslip at 8 is the least of our worries atm

That's my thoughts on Heaslip as expressed through this forum - not sure where the trolling is

The bold bit is actually the important bit - I'm sure plenty won't agree with that, which is fine
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Golf Man wrote:
Oldschool wrote: Don't know whether you realise it or not but Leinster use Heaslip quite a bit for lineouts - very successfully I might add.
Stander was tried against Wales and failed - it's easy to throw stones if that's what you're looking to do. You need your no. 8 to be able to deliver lineout ball.
Give it up you're back in broken record territory - again.
Go back and rewatch the match you might actually see who was doing what.
Again with the pre-packed posts
I didn't mention the lineout re Stander and Heaslip (although I'd be pretty sure I'm on record here as stating that Heaslip is the best option in that regard at No.8). Heaslip was ok at the weekend - a couple of poor handling errors but generally good otherwise - neither he nor Stander were "failures"

If you leave Stander at 6 then Heaslip obviously plays at 8, and nobody will have issue with that. If you decide that you want a 7 at 7 (and against England I really think we should rather than a 6 at 7) and you decide that you want POM in the team (as I do) then you are left with a choice at 8. I don't believe that choice is clear cut, and whoever loses out will be desperately unlucky

I expect Schmidt to go

POM/SOB/Heaslip with Stander on the bench

I can live with that although SOB would be lucky (been relatively speaking the worst of the backrow) and Stander would be hugely unlucky (as imo relatively speaking the best of the backrow so far)

Honestly I think its a real reach for you to make out there an agenda or a broken record on what I'm posting on this - you on the other are you can't countenance Heaslip being replaced by Stander - no player should be that nailed on when we have such good alternatives
A hat trick, must be a Munster thing although in fairness Gilmore got one as well.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Golf Man wrote:
FLIP wrote:
Golf Man wrote:Honestly I think its a real reach for you to make out there an agenda or a broken record on what I'm posting on this
You've been trolling regarding Heaslip for years now. Stop playing innocent, you're about as transparent as glass.

I think Heaslip had up and down performances for a couple of years, more up obviously but there were poor performances in there
He reacted particularly well when Stander came into the team as his first real opposition in years and has been excellent for the last year or so coming up to the 6 Nations
Himself and Stander have been the best of the starting backrows for us in the last 4 games
We have two excellent options at 8 that I believe that we should choose between because I think we are better served with POM at 6 first and foremost. If you are choosing either Stander or Heaslip then I don't think its a straight forward decision

That's my thoughts on Heaslip as expressed through this forum - not sure where the trolling is

The bold bit is actually the important bit - I'm sure plenty won't agree with that, which is fine
No nerves frazzled, just calling you out for what you are - a sad pathetic person with an inferiority complex so big you have to go onto a rivals website to spread your bile.
Anyone But New Zealand
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

FLIP wrote:

No nerves frazzled, just calling you out for what you are - a sad pathetic person with an inferiority complex so big you have to go onto a rivals website to spread your bile.[/quote]

Multiple nerves obviously touched - go and have a lie down
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

My backrow would be...

6. POM
7. Leavy
8. Stander

20. Conan

Not a hope of it happening and I won't complain if it doesn't but I want to see at least one change anyway. I'll be disappointed if Leavy isn't involved in some capacity. I think with the options we have we need to rotate and experiment a bit in order to find the right balance. So the backrow I picked isn't necessarily the best one available, but I'd like to see how POM and Stander combine at international level, how Stander does at 8, how Leavy does at international level, and Conan just deserves to be rewarded for his form. TBH I reckon that POM would be better with either VDF or SOB on the other flank but like I said I'd just like to see how that combination would go.

Aside from that I'd definitely start Healy and Payne, but not sure where I'd start Payne. I guess the question really is whether you back Ringrose to cope with the English midfield and if the game will help or hinder his development. I really can't decide on that one.

One thing I'm sure of is that with the championship the way it is I would rather lose and find an extra dimension to our game than win and be back to square one in November.
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:My backrow would be...

6. POM
7. Leavy
8. Stander

20. Conan

Not a hope of it happening and I won't complain if it doesn't but I want to see at least one change anyway. I'll be disappointed if Leavy isn't involved in some capacity. I think with the options we have we need to rotate and experiment a bit in order to find the right balance. So the backrow I picked isn't necessarily the best one available, but I'd like to see how POM and Stander combine at international level, how Stander does at 8, how Leavy does at international level, and Conan just deserves to be rewarded for his form. TBH I reckon that POM would be better with either VDF or SOB on the other flank but like I said I'd just like to see how that combination would go.

Aside from that I'd definitely start Healy and Payne, but not sure where I'd start Payne. I guess the question really is whether you back Ringrose to cope with the English midfield and if the game will help or hinder his development. I really can't decide on that one.

One thing I'm sure of is that with the championship the way it is I would rather lose and find an extra dimension to our game than win and be back to square one in November.
Do you think Leavy is a better option long term than VDF? Haven't seen enough of Leavy in detail to make a call. I do think we should have a proper openside V England (one of the 3(!!) Leinster options) - there is a chance to make hay v England backrow at the breakdown

I woudl absolutely hope that Ringrose is retained. I'm not certain he is our go to centre at this point in time - but its hard to not see him as fixture in match day squads at the very least for the forseeable future

Finding the extra dimension is important - not sure we need to find it next week but by the autumn we do
Leoslovechild
Mullet

Post by Leoslovechild »

Hippo wrote:Heaslip puts in one poor performance and suddenly he has to be dropped. He's been excellent for months, how quickly this has been forgotten. I understand that people don't like him much, but seriously. It's worth pointing out that Stander, one run when given plenty of space aside, didn't exactly light up proceedings on Friday night either.

I've no issue with SOB being dropped in favour of POM, he's been ordinary for most of the tournament - I'm not even sure he makes the 23 now.

Oldschool - Throwing long on the first lineout was a bizarre decision alright, and Best's darts are once again becoming an issue.
Finally someone else who thinks CJ was not all that.Would have no problem changing him for POM at 6 and not throwing him on as a 7
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

Leoslovechild wrote:
Hippo wrote:Heaslip puts in one poor performance and suddenly he has to be dropped. He's been excellent for months, how quickly this has been forgotten. I understand that people don't like him much, but seriously. It's worth pointing out that Stander, one run when given plenty of space aside, didn't exactly light up proceedings on Friday night either.

I've no issue with SOB being dropped in favour of POM, he's been ordinary for most of the tournament - I'm not even sure he makes the 23 now.

Oldschool - Throwing long on the first lineout was a bizarre decision alright, and Best's darts are once again becoming an issue.
Finally someone else who thinks CJ was not all that.Would have no problem changing him for POM at 6 and not throwing him on as a 7
I don't think anybody has said that CJ was all that on Friday - whats generally been agreed is that SOB was the worst of the backrow

By the way you might want to look at his break again - "one run when given plenty of space" isn't really a description of it - he gets the ball retreating about 5m inside the Welsh half and then is faced with Scott Williams and North, goes between them fending off Williams, goes over Halfpenny who slows him up and is then tackled by Webb, but still manages to get the offload away 5m from the line. There was no space - its the best individual piece of play we've had from an Irish forward (player?) in the tournament. It alone is not a reason for selection, but it was far far from a free run in open space
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Don't think we can complain about any of the backrowers not carrying well when we attack the way we do. We don't create space and just send them into brick walls. Which also explains why we get slow ball/turned over and why they're wrecked going into the final quarter.
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

McFadden called up for Bowe :lol:
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

Golf Man wrote:McFadden called up for Bowe :lol:
:green clap:

At this stage BOD has a better chance of being called up in a chauffeured Rolls Royce ala Tony O'Reilly than any of a multitude of young tyros. TOH, Byrne, Sweets, Conway, ROL is injured, Dave Kearney even but THUMBS, I didn't see that coming.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:My backrow would be...

6. POM
7. Leavy
8. Stander

20. Conan

Well if you're going to experiment why not go for broke.
Leavy VDF Conan with Stander on the bench.
That would be the most balanced and skilful BR and is likely to be the setup for RWC2019
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

You would need SOB on the bench because CJ doesn't cover 7
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

All Blacks nil wrote:You would need SOB on the bench because CJ doesn't cover 7
CJ covers 6 and 8.
Leavy covers 6 and 7.
Conan covers 6 and 8.
So that BR suggested covers all the options.
Think Leavy can do a job at 8 if push came to shove, no pun intended.
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

Oldschool wrote:
CJ covers 6 and 8.
Leavy covers 6 and 7.
Conan covers 6 and 8.
Sorry, you are right, that should be the backrow.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

All Blacks nil wrote:
Oldschool wrote:
CJ covers 6 and 8.
Leavy covers 6 and 7.
Conan covers 6 and 8.
Sorry, you are right, that should be the backrow.
With those four you could easily rotate them from match to match. VDF could bench for example.
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

A little bit drastic for Joe who has just called McFadden up to the squad in place of Bowe!!!!

I'm afraid you can't have that back row AND have Joe.
Raydollard
Graduate

Post by Raydollard »

McFadden selection I s not a problem. He always makes an honest and good contribution if called upon. Mister Reliable personified.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Raydollard wrote:McFadden selection I s not a problem. He always makes an honest and good contribution if called upon. Mister Reliable personified.

It is for me. How much rugby has be played this season? And what did he do to be selected ahead of Gilroy, TOH, Sweetnam etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by enby »

Twist wrote:
Raydollard wrote:McFadden selection I s not a problem. He always makes an honest and good contribution if called upon. Mister Reliable personified.

It is for me. How much rugby has be played this season? And what did he do to be selected ahead of Gilroy, TOH, Sweetnam etc?

He has only been called into the big squad which also includes TOH, Gilroy etc.