Decisive factor in Ireland beating England

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

What was the decisive factor in Ireland beating England?

More Munster players
28%
More St Michaels players
20%
Less giant headphones
12%
St Patrick
40%

Total votes: 25

bonzo
Learner

Re: Decisive factor in Ireland beating England

Post by bonzo »

Fan with smartphone wrote:Is it possible that Heaslip being named was a bit of a ploy and mis-direction by Schmidt? It's suspicious that O'Mahony only started at the last minute, but almost every single lineout was thrown to him. I know last minute subs have tended to do well in Schmidt teams, but today was ridiculous. O'Mahiny was the central tenet of the gameplan! Did they cook that up in 10minutes?!
Was thinking same thing, and O'Mahony was a bit evasive when interviewed...
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Sadly I wouldn't underestimate the impact on our players of the 1 minute's silence and in particular the reason for it.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

bonzo wrote:
Fan with smartphone wrote:Is it possible that Heaslip being named was a bit of a ploy and mis-direction by Schmidt? It's suspicious that O'Mahony only started at the last minute, but almost every single lineout was thrown to him. I know last minute subs have tended to do well in Schmidt teams, but today was ridiculous. O'Mahiny was the central tenet of the gameplan! Did they cook that up in 10minutes?!
Was thinking same thing, and O'Mahony was a bit evasive when interviewed...
FWS could be on to something here

Maybe they knew midweek he was touch and go

Also he had a six jersey not 24 and CJ had 8 hmmmm
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Joe Schmidt wrote:It couldn’t be a more flawed theory. It’s probably a bit of a slight on us, to be honest, because it’s not something we do.
http://www.the42.ie/joe-schmidt-theory- ... 8-Mar2017/
I have Bumbleflex
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

He was supposed.to have rolled his ankle, svhmidt said post match it was his hamstring.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Let's they don't lose the recipe.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

It's highly likely that Joe et al realised after the Italian game that England wouldn't cope too well with a few curved balls thrown their way.
Toner not starting wasn't a curved ball but Heaslip not starting was.
Add to that some tactical changes and England struggled.
Jones doesn't appear to have Joe's match day ability to fix things at ht either - He didn't exactly solve the Italian 'problem' at ht.
It's a fair bet that Joe realised that England wouldn't adapt and so it proved.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

We raised our game for the biggest match.

It's that simple unfortunately.

The best performances came from the guys who were hungry to break into the team rather than the incumbents, Sexton excluded. This is an indicator that there probably hasn't been enough rotation.

Tactically we were more focused on stopping them play which we kinda needed to do given the danger they possess.

Marmion's tackle was the moment that edged it. Losing a try at that point and we're chasing the game.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

munster#1 wrote:
Oldschoolsocks wrote:
If you'd bothered your hole reading my previous posts you'd have seen you're not getting a counter opinion, your post was too predictable to warrant one.

Now I would have went with a respectable three hours or so for a tenner, but I'm afraid that I would have lost that wager.
Tbh, I never once believed that you would counter with an opinion, that would go against the norm, and you're not one for change.

Your narrative is constan, and tiresome. posters with a differing opinion are wrong / are wums / trolls / have an agenda etc.

I am none of the above, I gave my opinion. I do not believe for a second believe that any opinion I give has any impact on what happens, in the real world, so this whole agenda thing is fairly far fetched, and if I were a win, I would be a hell of a lot more subtle.
So you didn't read my post then?

And no, never accused you of being a wum, troll etc with an agenda, sadly I take posts on their merits and yours tend to be tiresomely one sided tbh...
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:
munster#1 wrote:
Oldschoolsocks wrote:
If you'd bothered your hole reading my previous posts you'd have seen you're not getting a counter opinion, your post was too predictable to warrant one.

Now I would have went with a respectable three hours or so for a tenner, but I'm afraid that I would have lost that wager.
Tbh, I never once believed that you would counter with an opinion, that would go against the norm, and you're not one for change.

Your narrative is constan, and tiresome. posters with a differing opinion are wrong / are wums / trolls / have an agenda etc.

I am none of the above, I gave my opinion. I do not believe for a second believe that any opinion I give has any impact on what happens, in the real world, so this whole agenda thing is fairly far fetched, and if I were a win, I would be a hell of a lot more subtle.

And no, never accused you of being a wum, troll etc with an agenda, sadly I take posts on their merits and yours tend to be tiresomely one sided tbh...
I did read it, and it is as you would expect from you.
Poster X gives a post you don't agree with. You are unable to discredit or counter it with an alternative opinion, so you revert to type.

"Tiresomely one sided" may not have been an insult that I listed, but it does follow the same path.

Going straight to insulting either the poster or the post highlights the type of person/poster that you are.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
BlueStreak
Knowledgeable

Post by BlueStreak »

Fantastic performance yesterday, delighted with the win. POM was excellent and in hindsight probably should have been picked originally. For those who are making out that it was madness that Joe even considered leaving him out though, don't forget he hadn't shown anything like that level of performance so far this season. Also, our friends from down south who are trying to make out that Irelands performance somehow shows that Heaslip should no longer be in the team don't seem to be making the same argument for Murray. Marmion had an excellent game and has shown that we are not as reliant on Murray as we thought we were. He still has a bit to learn to be as good an all round scrum half as Murray though. It's the same situation with Stander and Heaslip. Standers performance showed that we finally have a viable alternative to Heaslip at 8. Equally though, Stander still has a bit to learn to be as good an all round 8 as Heaslip. His howler at the back of the scrum in the first half bing an example. Finally, a word for Johnny Sexton who must be the toughest outhalf in the game. Repeatedly gets smashed and keeps coming back for more. Typified the defiant attitude of the Irish team.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

It's often the little unnoticed things that make a huge difference.
Not sure why Marmion was substituted but the most little man on the pitch made a huge contribution.
And important as it was, his kick into the corner wasn't his most telling action.
When McGrath came on England's scrum was starting to get an edge partly because Furlong was tiring but also because they were nudging early and Garces was ignoring it.
For McGrath's first scrum, Garces gave him the nod and England nudged, McGrath pulled back, looked at Garces and Garces looked at him and reset.
The reset scrum was fine and Care gave away a penalty.
A little man creates a huge moment for Ireland.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

munster#1 wrote:
Oldschoolsocks wrote:
munster#1 wrote: Tbh, I never once believed that you would counter with an opinion, that would go against the norm, and you're not one for change.

I did read it, and it is as you would expect from you.
Poster X gives a post you don't agree with. You are unable to discredit or counter it with an alternative opinion, so you revert to type.

"Tiresomely one sided" may not have been an insult that I listed, but it does follow the same path.

Going straight to insulting either the poster or the post highlights the type of person/poster that you are.
Au contraire, stated very clearly that your OP wasn't worth a response and you did not receive one from me. I responsed to a different poster from which you immediately decided to take umbrage at for some reason.

We were chatting with each other, noting how predictable your posts are.

You decided to begin this interaction by insulting me M1 and then try to hide behind a wall of feigned innocence.

Oh and "tiresomely one sided" is not an insult, it's just an observation that any outsider looking in would agree with.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

BlueStreak wrote:Fantastic performance yesterday, delighted with the win. POM was excellent and in hindsight probably should have been picked originally. For those who are making out that it was madness that Joe even considered leaving him out though, don't forget he hadn't shown anything like that level of performance so far this season. Also, our friends from down south who are trying to make out that Irelands performance somehow shows that Heaslip should no longer be in the team don't seem to be making the same argument for Murray. Marmion had an excellent game and has shown that we are not as reliant on Murray as we thought we were. He still has a bit to learn to be as good an all round scrum half as Murray though. It's the same situation with Stander and Heaslip. Standers performance showed that we finally have a viable alternative to Heaslip at 8. Equally though, Stander still has a bit to learn to be as good an all round 8 as Heaslip. His howler at the back of the scrum in the first half bing an example. Finally, a word for Johnny Sexton who must be the toughest outhalf in the game. Repeatedly gets smashed and keeps coming back for more. Typified the defiant attitude of the Irish team.
Having Heaslip out forced Joe to select POM, which provide an extra lineout option, improved our lineout defence, and gave a much better balance to the backrow.
Yesterday showed the importance of having 3 lineout options.

We lost 2 games largely due to a malfunctioning set lineout, so it is fair to say, as you said, that pom should have been in from the start.

Stander should be picked in his best position, which is 8, and used as 6 only when required.
To use one error as a way of claiming that stander is not at this level is short sighted. He has been brilliant over the last few seasons at the back of both a weak and strong scrum.
Not many players are at international level if we judge them on single errors.

Stander should be rotated at 8 with Heaslip, depending on who is in form at any given time, leading up to Heaslip's imminent retirement.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
BlueStreak
Knowledgeable

Post by BlueStreak »

munster#1 wrote: Having Heaslip out forced Joe to select POM, which provide an extra lineout option, improved our lineout defence, and gave a much better balance to the backrow.

We lost 2 games largely due to a malfunctioning set lineout, so it is fair to say, as you said, that pom should have been in from the start.

Stander should be picked in his best position, which is 8, and used as 6 only when required.
To use one error as a way of claiming that stander is not at this level is short sighted. He has been brilliant over the last few seasons at the back of both a weak and strong scrum.

Stander should be rotated at 8 with Heaslip, depending on who is in form at any given time, leading up to Heaslip's imminent retirement.
I never said that Stander wasn't at international level. He's well capable of playing 8 at international level, yesterdays performance showed that. I merely stated that in my opinion he's not yet as good an all round 8 as Heaslip. That's certainly no insult, Heaslip is Irelands greatest ever 8 and has started 5 tests for the lions. And i would agree that we should start to rotate the two of them. There are games where Standers brute force is needed. I don't agree that Heaslips retirement is imminent though, he has a contract through to 2020
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:
Au contraire, stated very clearly that your OP wasn't worth a response and you did not receive one from me. I responsed to a different poster from which you immediately decided to take umbrage at for some reason.

You decided to begin this interaction by insulting me M1 and then try to hide behind a wall of feigned innocence.

Oh and "tiresomely one sided" is not an insult, it's just an observation that any outsider looking in would agree with.
Feigned innocence? Your first post was a childish indirect insult.

Your need to have a go at posters or posts without entering into an adult interaction is a poor reflection on you.
Obviously it is difficult to truly get a grasp of a person's personality on a forum such as this. But the personality you portray on here is a poor example for any adult.

In essence, if you come on to any internet forum that is used for like minded people to discuss their opinion, it is best to either enter into a conversation in a meaningful way, by expressing your opinion, or do not post at all.

Acting like a child directly or worse, indirectly insulting an individual as you do, does not add anything.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

munster#1 wrote:
Oldschoolsocks wrote:

Your need to have a go at posters or posts without entering into an adult interaction is a poor reflection on you.
Obviously it is difficult to truly get a grasp of a person's personality on a forum such as this. But the personality you portray on here is a poor example for any adult.

In essence, if you come on to any internet forum that is used for like minded people to discuss their opinion, it is best to either enter into a conversation in a meaningful way, by expressing your opinion, or do not post at all.

Acting like a child directly or worse, indirectly insulting an individual as you do, does not add anything.
Have you got enough fodder for your moral Shetland pony?
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

BlueStreak wrote:
munster#1 wrote: Having Heaslip out forced Joe to select POM, which provide an extra lineout option, improved our lineout defence, and gave a much better balance to the backrow.

I never said that Stander wasn't at international level. He's well capable of playing 8 at international level, yesterdays performance showed that. I merely stated that in my opinion he's not yet as good an all round 8 as Heaslip. That's certainly no insult, Heaslip is Irelands greatest ever 8 and has started 5 tests for the lions. And i would agree that we should start to rotate the two of them. There are games where Standers brute force is needed. I don't agree that Heaslips retirement is imminent though, he has a contract through to 2020
From reading your post again, I definitely misinterpreted what you wrote.

There's no doubting that Heaslip will be remembered for a long time, he is a 100 cap player and a lion as you say. But Heaslip is no longer at his peak, as others on here have said.

At his age he is on the inevitable wind down, and imo will not last until 2020 as an international given the opinions that are currently there, and the others coming through.

While we do have him, I would like to see direct competition between himself and stander, which will only improve both players.
MunsterSugar
Knowledgeable

Post by MunsterSugar »

hugonaut wrote:
munster#1 wrote:
Oldschoolsocks wrote:

Have you got enough fodder for your moral Shetland pony?
You know he actually does. You'd swear some here are sickened that POM and Stander worked out and Ireland won.
Guess Provincal via is a 2 way street and this place isn't as angelic as they make out
*** Edited by mod - WUM ***
Chengleng1
Learner

Post by Chengleng1 »

Not taking anything from POM, but I think its stretching it to lay the lineout improvement solely at his feet. For me, england never really competed on our ball, so once the throw and lift were good, possession was effectively guaranteed.
Really impressed with less experienced guys esp marmion & conway, not sure how JP lasted given he looked flipped at half time. John Ryan looks to add serious power to the scrum too

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk