Tour to Japan

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Tour to Japan

Post by nelly the elephant »

Good opening here from Ireland....10-3 up after 15 minutes. Conan, Leavy and Earls started well.
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
BlueStreak
Knowledgeable

Post by BlueStreak »

Luke McGrath must be one of the best pound for pound tacklers in the game
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Ireland take quick advantage of Japanese yellow card, Leavy going over twice from lineouts in the space of 5 minutes. Ireland lead 24-3 after half an hour.
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Jack Conan, who's playing very well, goes over now. 31-3 to Ireland.
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Post by Fan with smartphone »

That's a very useful pack we have there. Good at their jobs and fit. Heat doesn't seem a bother on them.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Just caught up to HT now. Amazed at the pace of that game considering the travelling and the heat, really really impressive stuff.

Don't think I can ever remember Earls being in such good form. He's electric right now, seems to be really thriving as the main man/experienced guy on the wing, long may it continue.

Conan has been outstanding again but the entire back row has been brilliant. They've done everything, carried, stolen ball, offloaded...just brilliant both individually and as a unit. Leavy seems like a man on a mission, can't wait to see this back row for Leinster next season but suspect we'll see it plenty more times for Ireland too.

Luke looks every inch a top international scrumhalf. I know it's not the stiffest test but his box kicking has been great, his cover defence has been great, his passing has been very good, he's cleaned up messy ball, and he's been breaking. An all round brilliant performance, he even did a good blocking job for both Leavy's lineout try and Conan's run in.

Healy has been great as well. Thought he looked wrecked after about 15 mins when Conan gave away the penalty, actually I thought that's why Conan gave away the penalty because he knew Healy wasn't going to block the chaser, but he got his breath back and has been excellent since then. Worked really hard to carry and counter ruck all day, nice to see him looking so good again. Niall Scannell and Ryan have been good too, lovely break from Ryan early on. Great run from Dev at the end of the half too. Roux has been a bit mixed because of two pens and a knock on but he's done a lot of good things too, lovely hands in the lineout and the loose to set up two trys and good work in defence too.

Ringrose has been quiet by his standards but still defended very well (including one excellent cover tackle) and he was very unlucky that Conway didnt pick up his kick at the end, that was really nice play. Zebo has looked a bit out of sorts but still done some good things.

Bit too comprehensive a report for HT against Japan but if I'm going to get up at 6 then I'm going to enjoy it goddamit :lol:
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Just caught up to HT now. Amazed at the pace of that game considering the travelling and the heat, really really impressive stuff.

Don't think I can ever remember Earls being in such good form. He's electric right now, seems to be really thriving as the main man/experienced guy on the wing, long may it continue.

Conan has been outstanding again but the entire back row has been brilliant. They've done everything, carried, stolen ball, offloaded...just brilliant both individually and as a unit. Leavy seems like a man on a mission, can't wait to see this back row for Leinster next season but suspect we'll see it plenty more times for Ireland too.

Luke looks every inch a top international scrumhalf. I know it's not the stiffest test but his box kicking has been great, his cover defence has been great, his passing has been very good, he's cleaned up messy ball, and he's been breaking. An all round brilliant performance, he even did a good blocking job for both Leavy's lineout try and Conan's run in.

Healy has been great as well. Thought he looked wrecked after about 15 mins when Conan gave away the penalty, actually I thought that's why Conan gave away the penalty because he knew Healy wasn't going to block the chaser, but he got his breath back and has been excellent since then. Worked really hard to carry and counter ruck all day, nice to see him looking so good again. Niall Scannell and Ryan have been good too, lovely break from Ryan early on. Great run from Dev at the end of the half too. Roux has been a bit mixed because of two pens and a knock on but he's done a lot of good things too, lovely hands in the lineout and the loose to set up two trys and good work in defence too.

Ringrose has been quiet by his standards but still defended very well (including one excellent cover tackle) and he was very unlucky that Conway didnt pick up his kick at the end, that was really nice play. Zebo has looked a bit out of sorts but still done some good things.

Bit too comprehensive a report for HT against Japan but if I'm going to get up at 6 then I'm going to enjoy it goddamit :lol:
Spot on, excellent summary. :D
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

In other news Scotland still leading by 5 against Australia after 50 minutes. They lost a player to the bin just before ht so didnt look good for them. Folau with a stunning leap over the Scottish full back to score right before halftime.
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

Have to bear in mind how poor Japan have been, they're awful. Notwithstanding the try they've just scored!
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
Made Of Ale
Graduate

Post by Made Of Ale »

Does anyone know how close this Japanese team is to full strength?
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Hippo wrote:Have to bear in mind how poor Japan have been, they're awful. Notwithstanding the try they've just scored!
Yeah very much so. Thought their heads dropped once we got the first try really. Some very basic errors in defence and their execution. Obviously they were underpowered in the maul and the scrum but I expected that, the rest of their performance was disappointing though. Better in the second half, it'll be interesting to see how they do next week. Also they should have got a penalty try for Conway's high tackle on the line and he should have been carded too, harsh to be carded when he actually was.

Still really impressed with Ireland both individually and collectively though. The pace we played at and the options we had were great. Options off the scrumhalf was something I was calling for during the 6 nations and we certainly had that. Lots to be encouraged about.
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

Ah yeah lots of good stuff, and Earls and Conan looked a class apart. Conway and O'Halloran seemed a bit ordinary I thought. Great win for Scotland!
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Combination of this morning's results lifts us above Australia and into third in the world rankings
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

What happens if Wales beat the Maori though?
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

cormac wrote:Combination of this morning's results lifts us above Australia and into third in the world rankings
Chapeau Sir. Great research as I tried to calculate.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:What happens if Wales beat the Maori though?
It's alright, Maori aren't an international team. :shock:
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
cormac wrote:Combination of this morning's results lifts us above Australia and into third in the world rankings
Chapeau Sir. Great research as I tried to calculate.
Australia hanging on to top 4 solely by annual wins in Wales
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

This Tour is proving most useful to date and each combination of players has contributed to the Irish team performance. We do have depth in quality and our players have improved their skills in training and their execution from coaching on this Tour.

Well done to Joe and all staff and well done to every player who has performed to date. Great results and excellent performances to date, irrespective of the relative quality of our opponents.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Hippo wrote:Ah yeah lots of good stuff, and Earls and Conan looked a class apart. Conway and O'Halloran seemed a bit ordinary I thought. Great win for Scotland!
Zebo looked off the pace and possibly unfit, much as he did last weekend. I'm not sure if he's carrying an injury or unhappy that he isn't with the Lions [or both], but it's turning out to be a wasted selection.

Earls was – once again – outstanding. His attitude is spot on at the moment and he is just gutting teams, scoring tries on his own and creating them for his team-mates. Two tries and three assists last weekend, two tries and two assists this weekend – that is a Lomu-esque strike rate.

Leavy and Jack Conan were both excellent in the backrow, both in attack and defense.

Luke McGrath put in a really good showing to try and match Marmion's excellent performance last weekend ... scrum-half depth is looking very encouraging, and Cooney getting a lot of exposure for Ulster next year should add further depth. Murray is obviously out in front, and Cooney will really have to hit the ground running to catch up with the pace that Marmion and McGrath have shown on this tour, but it's all positive news.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

I took the option of watching the game again, on tablet under umbrella in the sun. What a pleasure.

Keith Earls has never played better. He is now in the sort of form that Shane Williams once demonstrated for a rampant Wales. For his sake, I truly hope that he can stay in this form for a couple of seasons. His skills have improved and his acceleration and absolute speed have never been more effective.

Conan, Leavy and Ryan are real arrivals, possibly with Scannell the Hooker.

Yet to be absolutley proven, and, showing many of the signs, are McGrath, O'Halloran and Conway. Roux can do a job, possibly limited, but essential in competition.

Ruddock is proven, as is Jackson. JVdF is now an essential Squad member.

We need to see more of James Ryan and Treadwell and together would be a big challenge next week.

Stockdale, Porter, O'Donoghue have real potential and high skills and are still in development.

All in all, great progress and a credit to Joe and their Provincial coaching teams.