Tour to Japan

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

jimbobjoe
Mullet

Re: Tour to Japan

Post by jimbobjoe »

brenno wrote:Anybody know what time Japan games kick off - they're listed as 0600 and 0640 GMT. Excuse the ignorance but are we on GMT or (hopefully) an hour later. USA game kicks off at 2200 GMT
Right now we're on Irish daylight savings time.. or British Summer time (BST). Both are an hour later than GMT.

I suspect that the above is a mistake though and that the games will be at those times in BST.
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

jimbobjoe wrote:
brenno wrote:Anybody know what time Japan games kick off - they're listed as 0600 and 0640 GMT. Excuse the ignorance but are we on GMT or (hopefully) an hour later. USA game kicks off at 2200 GMT
Right now we're on Irish daylight savings time.. or British Summer time (BST). Both are an hour later than GMT.

I suspect that the above is a mistake though and that the games will be at those times in BST.
We're actually on IST - Irish Standard Time, which is an hour ahead of GMT.

</pedant>
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

limecat wrote:
jimbobjoe wrote:

We're actually on IST - Irish Standard Time, which is an hour ahead of GMT.

</pedant>
Touché!
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

CiaranIrl wrote:Broken down

LH: Healy, Kilcoyne
HK: Scannell, Tracy, Heffernan
TH: Bealham, Porter, Ryan
LK: Ryan, Toner, Treadwell
BS: Ruddock, Leavy
N8: Conan, JOD

SH: Cooney, Marmion, McGrath
OH: Carbery, Jackson
IC: Marshall, Scannell
OC: ROL, Ringrose
WG: Earls, Stockdale, Zebo
FB: Conway, TOH
I'd say you could swap Zebo and Conway. Schmidt has said that he sees Conway as a wing who can play fullback, rather than the other way around.

The O'Donnell selection annoys me, because it probably means they're looking at Leavy as a six, which is a waste of a tremendous openside imo. Reidy's a better 7 than TOD in any case

I wouldn't have Kilcoyne there either. He struggles in the scrum against top teams and his vision when it comes to passing to teammates in more space is truly woeful. Schmidt seems to feel that Buckley isn't big and physical enough, but Dooley would be a better pick than Kilcoyne with an eye on the world cup as well.

I wonder is Sweetnam carrying some sort of injury? Because he was ahead of Conway for most of the year.

I'd say the player to be added is a lock. Three isn't really enough.

Overall, some really pleasing selections. O'Loughlin, Stockdale, James Ryan and Heffernan are great picks
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Ruckedtobits wrote:On April 5th (page 1 of this thread)......................
This is a unique opportunity to prepare a world cup squad two years out. We shouldn't waste that chance, even though it might disappoint one or two older players who have contributed very well to their Province, and possibly even country, in the past.

Based on the list above guys like Kilcoyne, Bent, Strauss, Holland, Marshall, both Kearneys, Ferg and Payne could lose out. Some of the uncapped names that might squeeze in include Heffernan, Treadwell, Cooney, Stockdale, Byrne or O'Loughlin........
Very happy with that Squad and assume that Byrne or Sweetnam or possibly Ross Molony could fill the final place. Three second-rows is fine for Test matches but Rhys may find himself doing a lot of scrums in the row at training.

Incredible fast-track for Heffernan and Porter as they get effectively three weeks working with Feek and their front-row contemporaries in Ireland. This is a unique potential learning curve which not many get. No surprise at Ryan or Treadwell but Stockdale is a lucky lad, based on his last two performances for the Red Hand.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Ruckedtobits wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:On April 5th (page 1 of this thread)......................
This is a unique opportunity to prepare a world cup squad two years out. We shouldn't waste that chance, even though it might disappoint one or two older players who have contributed very well to their Province, and possibly even country, in the past.

Based on the list above guys like Kilcoyne, Bent, Strauss, Holland, Marshall, both Kearneys, Ferg and Payne could lose out. Some of the uncapped names that might squeeze in include Heffernan, Treadwell, Cooney, Stockdale, Byrne or O'Loughlin........
Very happy with that Squad and assume that Byrne or Sweetnam or possibly Ross Molony could fill the final place. Three second-rows is fine for Test matches but Rhys may find himself doing a lot of scrums in the row at training.

Incredible fast-track for Heffernan and Porter as they get effectively three weeks working with Feek and their front-row contemporaries in Ireland. This is a unique potential learning curve which not many get. No surprise at Ryan or Treadwell but Stockdale is a lucky lad, based on his last two performances for the Red Hand.

Stockdale might have made a few errors but I think they've largely been blown out of proportion as it was more just things not really going for him. It's clear to see that he is a freakish talent who reads the game superbly. I think it would have been a big oversight to omit him from this squad
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Dillane is back training with Connacht so I assume the last place is being held for him, assuming he proves his fitness.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

Any thought on who will captain the side? Ruddock for me.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Stockdale is one I don't understand. He's a good runner but most of his tries have come against poor Pro12 sides and he's looked out of his depth in bigger games. I would have said Adam Byrne, Adeleokun, Sweetnam and Gilroy were all ahead of him. Other than that it's great to see some new faces.

With only three out-and-out second rows in the squad (I guess Ruddock offers emergency cover), and with Joe saying he'll name one more squad member after this weekend's games, I wonder is there a possibility that Ultan Dillane will be called up? He's unexpectedly returned to Connacht training early and is expected to be available for their play-off game against Northampton.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Hard to see Gilroy playing for Ireland again at this rate. His contract is up in 2018 and there are plenty of big European that should look to target him IMO.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

I was at an open session Q&A with Joe Schmidt in the Aviva during the 6N. Heaslip and Luke McGrath (aka 'The Ferret', apparently) were there too.

Some random punter asked a pointed question about selecting Bowe and ignoring Adam Byrne. The question was asked in the sort of snarkey tone that a lot of forum comments are written. The way Joe put them back in their box was fantastic. He said 'Yeah, I know Adam very well. I picked him at Leinster when he was 18. I actually spoke to him the other day, and I've spoken to him several times this year. I've made it really clear what I want him to work on, and he is progressing according to that plan really well. He's not there yet. I don't have to explain myself to you.' (paraphrasing)

This whole 'overlooked', 'doesn't rate' etc. simply doesn't hold water when it comes to Joe Schmidt. It's hard for me personally to see how Stockdale got in ahead of Byrne and Sweetnam, but I am 100% sure that Byrne and Sweetnam know what they need to do. At a guess, it's a defensive thing.

Amazing that 22 players have fewer than 10 caps, and of those, 8 are uncapped entirely. I'm sure some people will still say how conservative / biased / lacking in youth it is regardless.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

I think Les Kiss has probably influenced the Stockdale decision. Clearly both coaches like Gilroy's pace and finishing ability, but have had longstanding issues with his defence, kicking and reading of the game, which he has had years to work on, but in the coaches' estimation has failed to improve on sufficiently. It's likely that after coaching Ulster, Kiss views Stockdale as having greater long-term potential for growth in these crucial but less flashy areas, and Schmidt has come to agree with him.

Strongest possible team for the tour:

1.Healy 2.N.Scannell 3.John Ryan

4.Toner 5.Treadwell (or Dillane if called up)

6.Ruddock 8.Conan 7.Leavy

9.Marmion 10.Jackson 12.L.Marshall 13.Ringrose 14.Conway

11.Earls 15.Zebo

16.Tracy 17.Kilcoyne 18.Bealham 19.Treadwell (if Dillane called up)/James Ryan 20.VDF 21.L.McGrath 22.Carbery 23.O'Halloran
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
leinsterforever
Mullet

Am I watching the same Stockdale as the rest of you? The guy looks like he could be a superstar
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

offshorerules wrote:Any thought on who will captain the side? Ruddock for me.
Scannell cold be in with a shout. IIRC he's captained underage and at Munster.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

neiliog93 wrote:Stockdale is one I don't understand. He's a good runner but most of his tries have come against poor Pro12 sides and he's looked out of his depth in bigger games. I would have said Adam Byrne, Adeleokun, Sweetnam and Gilroy were all ahead of him. Other than that it's great to see some new faces.

With only three out-and-out second rows in the squad (I guess Ruddock offers emergency cover), and with Joe saying he'll name one more squad member after this weekend's games, I wonder is there a possibility that Ultan Dillane will be called up? He's unexpectedly returned to Connacht training early and is expected to be available for their play-off game against Northampton.
Both ROL and Stockdale cover more than just wing and there's a good /outside chance that Ringrose and Zebo will get a Lions call-up. That's my guess.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

CiaranIrl wrote:I was at an open session Q&A with Joe Schmidt in the Aviva during the 6N. Heaslip and Luke McGrath (aka 'The Ferret', apparently) were there too.

Some random punter asked a pointed question about selecting Bowe and ignoring Adam Byrne. The question was asked in the sort of snarkey tone that a lot of forum comments are written. The way Joe put them back in their box was fantastic. He said 'Yeah, I know Adam very well. I picked him at Leinster when he was 18. I actually spoke to him the other day, and I've spoken to him several times this year. I've made it really clear what I want him to work on, and he is progressing according to that plan really well. He's not there yet. I don't have to explain myself to you.' (paraphrasing)

This whole 'overlooked', 'doesn't rate' etc. simply doesn't hold water when it comes to Joe Schmidt. It's hard for me personally to see how Stockdale got in ahead of Byrne and Sweetnam, but I am 100% sure that Byrne and Sweetnam know what they need to do. At a guess, it's a defensive thing.

Amazing that 22 players have fewer than 10 caps, and of those, 8 are uncapped entirely. I'm sure some people will still say how conservative / biased / lacking in youth it is regardless.
Yep, think you're right. He had a similar conversation with Zebo and didn't pick him for a while. Zebo worked hard on Joe's instructions and got picked. It's that simple with Joe really, players are clear on what they need to produce, if they produce they get picked, if they don't, they don't get picked.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

leinsterforever wrote:Am I watching the same Stockdale as the rest of you? The guy looks like he could be a superstar
Yeah I'm excited about him too. He definitely has flaws (and I think they're actual flaws as opposed to just getting used to the top level) but he's an incredible talent. Reminds me of a cross between Trimble and Bowe, doesn't have the footballing ability of Bowe but still similar to both of them in many ways.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Stockdale ticks a lot of boxes. Big, fast, solid under the high ball, has a massive left boot, runs great lines, good handling, can play in multiple positions etc. Still a bit raw but all the ingredients are there.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

CiaranIrl wrote:I was at an open session Q&A with Joe Schmidt in the Aviva during the 6N. Heaslip and Luke McGrath (aka 'The Ferret', apparently) were there too.

:lol: that's brilliant!

I'd love to know the specifics of what Adam has to work on. I was one of the people on here who was most worried about his defence but I think it's improved hugely. Conversely I think ROL has regressed slightly in terms of his defence. I know he has versatility on his side and his attacking game has been brilliant but all in all I'm struggling to see how both Adam and Sweetnam were left out. Overall its very positive though. It'll be interesting to see if anyone gets called up if we do lose someone to the lions.

I had a look at the caps earlier too and it's scary how inexperienced a lot of our second choice guys are. I know Joe has said he wants to build a squad for the World Cup and has done a lot in regard to that but there's a really big gap in terms of experience between the first and second choice guys in a lot of positions.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

dropkick wrote:Stockdale ticks a lot of boxes. Big, fast, solid under the high ball, has a massive left boot, runs great lines, good handling, can play in multiple positions etc. Still a bit raw but all the ingredients are there.
Personally I'd pencil him in to be an Ulster starter next year too. Himself and Adam could be a helluva combo in a couple of years. I know there are others in the mix but just saying.