Tour to Japan

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Re: Tour to Japan

Post by Oldschool »

CiaranIrl wrote:You're all mad if you think that fit players who are on the Lions waiting list won't go on this tour.

1. Cronin, Healy
2. Cronin, Scannell, Tracy.
3. Ryan, Bealham, Bent.
4/5. Toner, Roux, Holland, Dillane
6/7/8 Heaslip (captain, O'D if not fit), Leavy, VDF, Conan, Ruddock
9./10 Marmion, McGrath, Jackson, Carbery.
12/13. Ringrose, Scannell, Marshall, O'Loughlin
Back 3. Zebo, Earls, Trimble, TOH, Kearney (Conway if not fit)
Back three is our weakest area.
Waste of time playing Earls in the Japanese tests.
We need to see who's ready to move up.
Zebo, JS and Munster need to decide what his best position is and leave him there - don't think it's FB either but that just an opinion.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

CiaranIrl wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I'd go with a weaker team against the US but for Japan I'd pick...

Zebo
Sweetnam
Ringrose
McCloskey
Earls
Jackson
Marmion
Conan
VDF
Ruddock
Dev
Treadwell
Ryan
Scannell
Healy

Tracy
Kilcoyne
Bent (just filling a jersey because I'd leave Bealham out)
Molony
Leavy
Luke
Carbery
Adam Byrne

I don't see TOH playing much for Ireland so I'd leave him out.
I really don't think McCloskey has it in him to make the step up. He's a big unit who looks good when he can bully players, but his skill set isn't enough to cut it when that doesn't work. He might be big enough to pull it off at Pro 12 level or against Japan / USA, but he would be completely shown up against a NH team. Scannell is the best bet for a backup to Henshaw IMO.
I think he does have the skills but hasn't been in good form since he was dropped during the 6N last year. However, I'd put him in because I think we need a big lump at 12 and he played well last weekend. That's a bit reactive but I reckon he'll be starting for Ulster again next season and just feel he suits our game plan better. Big fan of Scannell (although I think his form has dipped since the 6N started) but just don't see us straying from the Henshaw style of 12, particularly with Aki to qualify in November.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Earls, Heaslip, Trimble and maybe Zebo should be left at home to rest. Utterly redundant to take them on a tour of this nature. If Cian Healy and Sean Cronin had had a full season, I'd say the same for them. I'd only take Toner because our second row options are so limited and we'll need him.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Peg Leg wrote:Yeah I think Robb has more about him at IC but injuries have closed that door for now.
Is he injured? I'm not paying attention! Sorry.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

CiaranIrl wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I'd go with a weaker team against the US but for Japan I'd pick...

Zebo
Sweetnam
Ringrose
McCloskey
Earls
Jackson
Marmion
Conan
VDF
Ruddock
Dev
Treadwell
Ryan
Scannell
Healy

Tracy
Kilcoyne
Bent (just filling a jersey because I'd leave Bealham out)
Molony
Leavy
Luke
Carbery
Adam Byrne

I don't see TOH playing much for Ireland so I'd leave him out.
I really don't think McCloskey has it in him to make the step up. He's a big unit who looks good when he can bully players, but his skill set isn't enough to cut it when that doesn't work. He might be big enough to pull it off at Pro 12 level or against Japan / USA, but he would be completely shown up against a NH team. Scannell is the best bet for a backup to Henshaw IMO.
I don't think skill level is a problem. I feel it's more his timing that lets him down sometimes. Don't know if a spell playing 7s would be beneficial
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

LP: Kilcoyne, J.Cronin (he might bring C.Healy due to his disrupted season)
HK: S.Cronin, N.Scannell, Tracy
TP: J.Ryan, Bealham, Bent (latter two both cover loosehead)

SR: Toner, Roux, Holland, Treadwell

BR: Conan, VDF, Leavy, Ruddock, O'Donnell

SH: Marmion, L.McGrath, Cooney (if they decide to bring third scrum-half)

OH: Jackson, Carberry

CE: R.Scannell (emergency third out-half), McCloskey, Marshall, Ringrose

Back 3: Zebo, O'Halloran, Gilroy, Conway, Sweetnam....maybe Adeleokun if they decide to take more players than normal.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

I would have Byrne ahead of Carberry. And O'Loughlin ahead of Gilroy (who has always filled a spot and never demanded selection). I'm struggling with Conway over Byrne too...
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Peg Leg wrote:I would have Byrne ahead of Carberry. And O'Loughlin ahead of Gilroy (who has always filled a spot and never demanded selection). I'm struggling with Conway over Byrne too...
Conway deserves to be there definitely.

As for Adeleokun, no way I'd have him on the tour.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Squad's supposedly being named tomorrow. Think I'd go with:

1: Cian Healy, Denis Buckley, Peter Dooley
2: Sean Cronin, Niall Scannell, James Tracy
3: John Ryan, Finlay Bealham, Conor Carey
4,5: Devin Toner, Billy Holland, Kieran Treadwell, James Ryan
6: Rhys Ruddock
7: Dan Leavy, Josh van der Flier
8: Jamie Heaslip/Jack O'Donoghue, Jack Conan
9: Kieran Marmion, Luke McGrath, John Cooney
10: Paddy Jackson, Joey Carbery
11: Keith Earls, Jacob Stockdale
12: Stuart McCloskey, Rory Scannell
13: Garry Ringrose, Rory O'Loughlin
14: Andrew Trimble, Darren Sweetnam
15: Simon Zebo, Tiernan O'Halloran

A 33-man squad is probably on the large side, but this is a unique opportunity to familiarise players with Japan ahead of the World Cup. And I think Healy and Zebo are two of the most likely to get called away to the Lions, so it might be sensible to take six props and six back three players
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

JOD is one guy who's disappointed me I must say. Hasn't been poor by any means but I expected a lot more. Munster's first choice back row is brilliant so not saying he's doing anything wrong by not being a starter, but I thought he'd really be knocking down the door by now similar to when Leamy really burst onto the scene.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

leinsterforever wrote:Squad's supposedly being named tomorrow. Think I'd go with:

1: Cian Healy, Denis Buckley, Peter Dooley
2: Sean Cronin, Niall Scannell, James Tracy
3: John Ryan, Finlay Bealham, Conor Carey
4,5: Devin Toner, Billy Holland, Kieran Treadwell, James Ryan
6: Rhys Ruddock
7: Dan Leavy, Josh van der Flier
8: Jamie Heaslip/Jack O'Donoghue, Jack Conan
9: Kieran Marmion, Luke McGrath, John Cooney
10: Paddy Jackson, Joey Carbery
11: Keith Earls, Jacob Stockdale
12: Stuart McCloskey, Rory Scannell
13: Garry Ringrose, Rory O'Loughlin
14: Andrew Trimble, Darren Sweetnam
15: Simon Zebo, Tiernan O'Halloran

A 33-man squad is probably on the large side, but this is a unique opportunity to familiarise players with Japan ahead of the World Cup. And I think Healy and Zebo are two of the most likely to get called away to the Lions, so it might be sensible to take six props and six back three players
Cronin, Earls and Ringrose would be close to a lions call up also.
It's very possible that Ross Byrne could go cos Joe is going to want to build on the career momentum he gained due to Sexton and Carberry outages.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:JOD is one guy who's disappointed me I must say. Hasn't been poor by any means but I expected a lot more. Munster's first choice back row is brilliant so not saying he's doing anything wrong by not being a starter, but I thought he'd really be knocking down the door by now similar to when Leamy really burst onto the scene.
He just hasn't pushed on at all, I thought he'd be a big player for Munster by now
I have Bumbleflex
leinsterforever
Mullet

Dave Cahill wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:JOD is one guy who's disappointed me I must say. Hasn't been poor by any means but I expected a lot more. Munster's first choice back row is brilliant so not saying he's doing anything wrong by not being a starter, but I thought he'd really be knocking down the door by now similar to when Leamy really burst onto the scene.
He just hasn't pushed on at all, I thought he'd be a big player for Munster by now
IMO he should really focus on his footwork and handling skills, because he doesn't really have the size to batter people out of the way like Stander
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

leinsterforever wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
IMO he should really focus on his footwork and handling skills, because he doesn't really have the size to batter people out of the way like Stander
hes suffering from the utility tag at his age IMO
needs to pick/be given a position and stick with it

needs more experience at 7 to play 7, needs more size to play 8, needs a bit of both to play 6
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
leinsterforever
Mullet

simonokeeffe wrote:
leinsterforever wrote:IMO he should really focus on his footwork and handling skills, because he doesn't really have the size to batter people out of the way like Stander

needs more experience at 7 to play 7, needs more size to play 8, needs a bit of both to play 6
He is on the small side for an eight, but I don't think he necessarily needs more size. Ardie Savea would be about his size (or maybe even a bit smaller) and he's made a good fist of his recent switch to no. 8. That's the great thing about rugby. The amount of physicality you need is inversely proportional to how evasive you are in attack and how technically sound you are in defence
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

JOD has been pretty poor, something many Munster fans have acknowledged. He's billed as 6'3 and 106 kg but I'd be a bit skeptical, until recently he was billed as 6'2 and 97 kg. Lightweight for a top level 8, he'd be better off as a 7 or lighter than average 6 who provides mobility around the park and an easy to lift line-out option.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

leinsterforever wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:
leinsterforever wrote:IMO he should really focus on his footwork and handling skills, because he doesn't really have the size to batter people out of the way like Stander

He is on the small side for an eight, but I don't think he necessarily needs more size. Ardie Savea would be about his size (or maybe even a bit smaller) and he's made a good fist of his recent switch to no. 8. That's the great thing about rugby. The amount of physicality you need is inversely proportional to how evasive you are in attack and how technically sound you are in defence
He was a great 8 for the wolfpuppies
Savea is a bit of an outlier as hes quicker than most backs and has matching footwork, so he has serious momentum going into collisions
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Leinster Lout
Graduate

Post by Leinster Lout »

I can't for the life of me understand why people would bring Trimble and Toner to Japan
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Leinster Lout wrote:I can't for the life of me understand why people would bring Trimble and Toner to Japan
Toner because he will be at the next world cup.

Holland shouldn't go as he has very little chance of going to it.
Anyone But New Zealand