RWC 2019 Draw

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Re: RWC 2019 Draw

Post by TrapperChamonix »

Twist wrote:So a year out and Scotland are stronger than they've been since 1990, the Japanese are progressing (and will be at home obviously) and when you look to the quarter finals SA are improving rapidly under Erasmus and NZ might be better than ever. This draw is looking pretty unfavourable, to me anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last week he was talking about loosing his job. Sure it might be a bit of hyperbole but I cant see any demonstrable improvement in the Boks
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

TrapperChamonix wrote:
Twist wrote:So a year out and Scotland are stronger than they've been since 1990, the Japanese are progressing (and will be at home obviously) and when you look to the quarter finals SA are improving rapidly under Erasmus and NZ might be better than ever. This draw is looking pretty unfavourable, to me anyway

Last week he was talking about loosing his job. Sure it might be a bit of hyperbole but I cant see any demonstrable improvement in the Boks
:D

dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

I have to go watch the NZ Vs SA match. With all the talk of a 50 point winning margin, and how noone can stop them winning the world cup, the NZers must have gone into it thinking they couldn't possibly lose.

SA have looked a bit of a rabble in their previous matches.

I thought Aus were very poor. The players made some of the most basic mistakes and look low on confidence. Cheika is under pressure but they don't have anywhere near the quality of player they used to have.
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Post by TrapperChamonix »

Twist wrote:
TrapperChamonix wrote:

:D

:happy clapper: I hold my hands up! :mullet 1: (I thought that post would come back to bite me)

I have to say I only saw the 1st 15 mins and the last 10. They must have been brilliant in between.
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

What do people think about our potential quarter final opponents now? A game against SA is starting to look very tricky.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

nc6000 wrote:What do people think about our potential quarter final opponents now? A game against SA is starting to look very tricky.
Which is probably the same thing they're saying about us, in Joe we trust.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Hard to make out the rugby championship. I watched the second half of Argentina Australia last night. Australia were 24 points down when I turned in and won easily in the end!

Do from what I saw
- NZ won it but not at their best. Some chinks appearing maybe?

- SA have improved under Erasmus but it remains to be seen is it because of a NZ off day or what. They lost to Australia who were missing Pocock and Folau. They lost well to Argentina and there was a lot of talk about Erasmus getting the sack.

- Australia have gone from the smartest team to the dumbest team. They're very erratic but still have quality and can play great rugby in patches. They lack the quality of old.

- Argentina have been all over the place this summer. Losing well to Wales and Scotland B sides then beating the Boks. They're too emotional imo and need to calm down a bit.

The November tests should be good. NZ at the end of a long season will find it tough. Luckily for us they play England the week before!

As for the world cup, SA are improving and have quality players to re-enforce their squad. Still we've a very strong squad too and it's probably better for us if we're not going in as favourites because we've seen what happens then.
Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Degz »

dropkick wrote:Hard to make out the rugby championship. I watched the second half of Argentina Australia last night. Australia were 24 points down when I turned in and won easily in the end!

Do from what I saw
- NZ won it but not at their best. Some chinks appearing maybe?

- SA have improved under Erasmus but it remains to be seen is it because of a NZ off day or what. They lost to Australia who were missing Pocock and Folau. They lost well to Argentina and there was a lot of talk about Erasmus getting the sack.

- Australia have gone from the smartest team to the dumbest team. They're very erratic but still have quality and can play great rugby in patches. They lack the quality of old.

- Argentina have been all over the place this summer. Losing well to Wales and Scotland B sides then beating the Boks. They're too emotional imo and need to calm down a bit.

The November tests should be good. NZ at the end of a long season will find it tough. Luckily for us they play England the week before!

As for the world cup, SA are improving and have quality players to re-enforce their squad. Still we've a very strong squad too and it's probably better for us if we're not going in as favourites because we've seen what happens then.
I'd much rather be favourites than not. Favourites are the better team.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

RWC 2019 Draw

Post by neill_m »

Repechage Tournament starting next weekend in Marseille to decide the last team to qualify for the RWC.

All KO Times (Irish Time)

11 November

12:00 Hong Kong v Germany
15:00 Canada v Kenya

17 November

12:00 Hong Kong v Kenya
15:00 Canada v Germany

23 November

17:00 Kenya v Germany
20:00 Hong Kong v Canada

Germany drew 29 each with Portugal on Saturday in their only warm up game. Hong Kong lost to Dragons Monday night 24-28. A few other warm up games detailed below. Crawshays are a Barbarians style team made up from Welsh club players. Canada beat Oxford University 26-20.

Crawshays RFC 24-35 Hong Kong
Romania A 36-5 Kenya
Coventry RFC 12-35 Canada
Last edited by neill_m on November 6th, 2018, 2:19 pm, edited 5 times in total.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

And the prize is a place in New Zealand and South Africa's group.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

johng wrote:And the prize is a place in New Zealand and South Africa's group.
Italy and Namibia make up the group. The games v NZ and SA for whoever wins the tournament in Marseille could be a career highlight for them, but could also end up with cricket scores against them. Biggest winning margin is the Aussie Namibia game from 2003 142-0.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

neill_m wrote:
johng wrote:And the prize is a place in New Zealand and South Africa's group.
Italy and Namibia make up the group. The games v NZ and SA for whoever wins the tournament in Marseille could be a career highlight for them, but could also end up with cricket scores against them. Biggest winning margin is the Aussie Namibia game from 2003 142-0.
I was at that Australia v Namibia game in 2003. I got tickets to it as part of the package trip I booked. It was on in Adelaide the day before the Ireland v Argentina match in the same stadium. I left after 20 minutes, I think Australia were already 42-0 up.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

RWC 2019 Draw

Post by neill_m »

Canada won 27-10 v Hong Kong. They are heading to Japan. Decent watch.

Germany beat Kenya 43-6 in the dead rubber.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

If as expected the quarter final is Ireland Vs SA then the fixture list certainly gives the springboks a boost.

SA's last match is against Canada on Tuesday the 8th while ours is against Samoa on Saturday the 12th. In the last world cup Argentina got a very easy run up to the quarter final.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Should we carry on this thread and rename it RWC 2019 or use PegLegs other thread for 2019 stuff?

The ticket buying process is a bit of a faff. As a member of the Front Row supporters club, and a volunteer at RWC15, I should have been able to get tickets no problem, but only got tickets for one match.

A first come first serve sale for those who didn't get tickets they wanted in previous phases started this morning at 11:15am. Despite being on the website for a few hours before I began at 54642th in the queue. I'm now at 36134th but they've shut down the website for 4 and a half hours for maintenance (who picked the time?!). By my calculations I should reach the front of the queue by roughly 5am tomorrow. :roll:

Added to that the one match I really wanted, Japan v Ireland, is basically sold out.

General availability for anyone interested: https://info.tickets.rugbyworldcup.com/ ... index.html
Anyone But New Zealand
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Finally got the tickets.

Only tickets left for Japan v Ireland were in the region of a grand so I passed on that.

Got 4 matches quite tightly packed.

Georgia v Uruguay in Kumagaya the day after Ireland v Japan (29th)
Scotland v Samoa in Kobe on the 30th
Ireland v Russia in Kobe on the 3rd
South Africa v Italy on the 4th

Tie it in with a work conference on 25th-27th.. and I might be able to get the flights on expenses. :twisted:
Anyone But New Zealand
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:What, if anything, are the current contingency Plans for holding RWC 2019?

Looking at the current Japanese floods, if the RWC was being held this September, it would possibly require two alternartive Venues.

Presumably there are contingency Plans?
Query repeated, as coverage of the current Typhoon makes landfall in Japan today. Significant damage in Osaka and Kobe and nine cities currently subject to compulsory evacuation orders. How would you run a Rugby World Cup in such circumstances?
Haha! Now we know - you don’t!