RWC 2019 Draw

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Re: RWC 2019 Draw

Postby TrapperChamonix » September 13th, 2018, 11:55 am

Twist wrote:So a year out and Scotland are stronger than they've been since 1990, the Japanese are progressing (and will be at home obviously) and when you look to the quarter finals SA are improving rapidly under Erasmus and NZ might be better than ever. This draw is looking pretty unfavourable, to me anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last week he was talking about loosing his job. Sure it might be a bit of hyperbole but I cant see any demonstrable improvement in the Boks
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Postby Twist » September 15th, 2018, 10:27 am

TrapperChamonix wrote:
Twist wrote:So a year out and Scotland are stronger than they've been since 1990, the Japanese are progressing (and will be at home obviously) and when you look to the quarter finals SA are improving rapidly under Erasmus and NZ might be better than ever. This draw is looking pretty unfavourable, to me anyway

Last week he was talking about loosing his job. Sure it might be a bit of hyperbole but I cant see any demonstrable improvement in the Boks

:D

Twist
Graduate

Postby dropkick » September 17th, 2018, 2:10 pm

I have to go watch the NZ Vs SA match. With all the talk of a 50 point winning margin, and how noone can stop them winning the world cup, the NZers must have gone into it thinking they couldn't possibly lose.

SA have looked a bit of a rabble in their previous matches.

I thought Aus were very poor. The players made some of the most basic mistakes and look low on confidence. Cheika is under pressure but they don't have anywhere near the quality of player they used to have.
dropkick
Mullet

Postby TrapperChamonix » September 18th, 2018, 8:48 am

Twist wrote:
TrapperChamonix wrote:

:D

:happy clapper: I hold my hands up! :mullet 1: (I thought that post would come back to bite me)

I have to say I only saw the 1st 15 mins and the last 10. They must have been brilliant in between.
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Postby nc6000 » October 7th, 2018, 10:55 am

What do people think about our potential quarter final opponents now? A game against SA is starting to look very tricky.
nc6000
Mullet

Postby TerenureJim » October 7th, 2018, 11:04 am

nc6000 wrote:What do people think about our potential quarter final opponents now? A game against SA is starting to look very tricky.

Which is probably the same thing they're saying about us, in Joe we trust.
TerenureJim
Rob Kearney

Postby dropkick » October 7th, 2018, 10:27 pm

Hard to make out the rugby championship. I watched the second half of Argentina Australia last night. Australia were 24 points down when I turned in and won easily in the end!

Do from what I saw
- NZ won it but not at their best. Some chinks appearing maybe?

- SA have improved under Erasmus but it remains to be seen is it because of a NZ off day or what. They lost to Australia who were missing Pocock and Folau. They lost well to Argentina and there was a lot of talk about Erasmus getting the sack.

- Australia have gone from the smartest team to the dumbest team. They're very erratic but still have quality and can play great rugby in patches. They lack the quality of old.

- Argentina have been all over the place this summer. Losing well to Wales and Scotland B sides then beating the Boks. They're too emotional imo and need to calm down a bit.

The November tests should be good. NZ at the end of a long season will find it tough. Luckily for us they play England the week before!

As for the world cup, SA are improving and have quality players to re-enforce their squad. Still we've a very strong squad too and it's probably better for us if we're not going in as favourites because we've seen what happens then.
dropkick
Mullet

Postby Degz » October 10th, 2018, 8:50 am

dropkick wrote:Hard to make out the rugby championship. I watched the second half of Argentina Australia last night. Australia were 24 points down when I turned in and won easily in the end!

Do from what I saw
- NZ won it but not at their best. Some chinks appearing maybe?

- SA have improved under Erasmus but it remains to be seen is it because of a NZ off day or what. They lost to Australia who were missing Pocock and Folau. They lost well to Argentina and there was a lot of talk about Erasmus getting the sack.

- Australia have gone from the smartest team to the dumbest team. They're very erratic but still have quality and can play great rugby in patches. They lack the quality of old.

- Argentina have been all over the place this summer. Losing well to Wales and Scotland B sides then beating the Boks. They're too emotional imo and need to calm down a bit.

The November tests should be good. NZ at the end of a long season will find it tough. Luckily for us they play England the week before!

As for the world cup, SA are improving and have quality players to re-enforce their squad. Still we've a very strong squad too and it's probably better for us if we're not going in as favourites because we've seen what happens then.

I'd much rather be favourites than not. Favourites are the better team.
Degz
Cian Healy

RWC 2019 Draw

Postby neill_m » October 30th, 2018, 11:44 am

Repechage Tournament starting next weekend in Marseille to decide the last team to qualify for the RWC.

All KO Times (Irish Time)

11 November

12:00 Hong Kong v Germany
15:00 Canada v Kenya

17 November

12:00 Hong Kong v Kenya
15:00 Canada v Germany

23 November

17:00 Kenya v Germany
20:00 Hong Kong v Canada

Germany drew 29 each with Portugal on Saturday in their only warm up game. Hong Kong lost to Dragons Monday night 24-28. A few other warm up games detailed below. Crawshays are a Barbarians style team made up from Welsh club players. Canada beat Oxford University 26-20.

Crawshays RFC 24-35 Hong Kong
Romania A 36-5 Kenya
Coventry RFC 12-35 Canada
Last edited by neill_m on November 6th, 2018, 3:19 pm, edited 5 times in total.
neill_m
Graduate

Postby johng » October 30th, 2018, 2:21 pm

And the prize is a place in New Zealand and South Africa's group.
johng
Leo Cullen

Postby neill_m » October 30th, 2018, 3:09 pm

johng wrote:And the prize is a place in New Zealand and South Africa's group.

Italy and Namibia make up the group. The games v NZ and SA for whoever wins the tournament in Marseille could be a career highlight for them, but could also end up with cricket scores against them. Biggest winning margin is the Aussie Namibia game from 2003 142-0.
neill_m
Graduate

Postby cormac » October 30th, 2018, 5:04 pm

neill_m wrote:
johng wrote:And the prize is a place in New Zealand and South Africa's group.

Italy and Namibia make up the group. The games v NZ and SA for whoever wins the tournament in Marseille could be a career highlight for them, but could also end up with cricket scores against them. Biggest winning margin is the Aussie Namibia game from 2003 142-0.

I was at that Australia v Namibia game in 2003. I got tickets to it as part of the package trip I booked. It was on in Adelaide the day before the Ireland v Argentina match in the same stadium. I left after 20 minutes, I think Australia were already 42-0 up.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
cormac
Rob Kearney

RWC 2019 Draw

Postby neill_m » November 23rd, 2018, 10:34 pm

Canada won 27-10 v Hong Kong. They are heading to Japan. Decent watch.

Germany beat Kenya 43-6 in the dead rubber.
neill_m
Graduate

Postby dropkick » November 26th, 2018, 1:08 am

If as expected the quarter final is Ireland Vs SA then the fixture list certainly gives the springboks a boost.

SA's last match is against Canada on Tuesday the 8th while ours is against Samoa on Saturday the 12th. In the last world cup Argentina got a very easy run up to the quarter final.
dropkick
Mullet

Previous

Return to International Rugby