Women's World Cup 2017

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Women's World Cup 2017

Post by The Doc »

Anyone going?

I got tickets for 3 of the group days - notice they are pretty much sold out even allowing for the expanded capacity. Good stuff - looking forward to it I have to say
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Re: Women's World Cup 2017

Post by Dave Cahill »

Yep, got tickets for all the games in Dublin - should be a great occasion
I have Bumbleflex
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

Mon Ireland!
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

Really looking forward to this, though the format is very tough
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Really hope this is a success, off the field, as well as on it. Ireland are not bad at all but I was at the Grand Slam showdown in Donnybrook earlier in the year and the England team are very, very good indeed. Ball in hand, they were light years ahead of our girls.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Would expect England to win their pool with NZ and Canada both making through to SF (one as best 2nd).

Ireland's group has nos 4-6 in the rankings with France and Australia. Ireland edged France in the 6N.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

Can't wait for this.

Was in UCD there and the extra park they are building is underway. I would say the atmosphere will be fantastic.

The tickets are sold for the day not the game. So I imagine there will be handbacks or ticket exchange going on in UCD. I'd say if people rock up early for the Ireland games if they don't have tickets they will be able to get their hands on some.

Thinking of making an day of it and heading to Ravenhill for the semi final day
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

We're getting closer and the sap is beginning to rise.

Could I suggest that IRFU and journos need to raise their game a bit and start to rapidly enhance the profile of many of the 28 women squad announced this afternoon.

Every rugby fan in Ireland and many general sports fans know the big names, Niamh, Aisling, Jenny, Sene, Nora, Ashleigh, Marie-Louise, Lindsey, Sophie and their reputations and experience. But there are 19 "others" who need to be profiled, back-storied, ID'ed position specific, etc.

If we are to make a strong connection with this great bunch we must be made familiar with them all as they could potentially enliven our conversations for the next 6 weeks.

Congrats to all selected. Tough luck to those who missed out and good luck to the entire group for WRWC2017.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Really tough luck on Niamh Briggs. There is no more dedicated player in any part of the Irish rugby scene than this women. As a player, she has shown demonstrated time and time that she is a ferocious competitor. As a leader, she brings people with her and carries them where necessary.

Having watched the Bolt programme last night and the process he went through to recover from injury, I can only imagine the desolation for Niamh to get back to the verge of playing only for the body to break down somewhere else.

Tough luck, but keep on inspiring us.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Really tough luck on Niamh Briggs. There is no more dedicated player in any part of the Irish rugby scene than this women. As a player, she has shown demonstrated time and time that she is a ferocious competitor. As a leader, she brings people with her and carries them where necessary.

Having watched the Bolt programme last night and the process he went through to recover from injury, I can only imagine the desolation for Niamh to get back to the verge of playing only for the body to break down somewhere else.

I wish all the best for Briggs and hope she gets back for the 6N as she is hoping.

Longer term she is such a charismatic person and slowly building up her media career, as I recall she was on some comedy/ sports quiz show on RTE a while back and did very well on it.

I would love to see her move into punditry at some point in the future. It would be a nice refreshment to some of the current crop of pundits ha
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:Really tough luck on Niamh Briggs. There is no more dedicated player in any part of the Irish rugby scene than this women. As a player, she has shown demonstrated time and time that she is a ferocious competitor. As a leader, she brings people with her and carries them where necessary.

I wish all the best for Briggs and hope she gets back for the 6N as she is hoping.

Longer term she is such a charismatic person and slowly building up her media career, as I recall she was on some comedy/ sports quiz show on RTE a while back and did very well on it.

I would love to see her move into punditry at some point in the future. It would be a nice refreshment to some of the current crop of pundits ha
At very least someone who actually likes or even watches the games woukd be great on podcasts. Or in print
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
matt
Graduate

Post by matt »

What capacity does UCD have. It's not often a World Cup comes to Ireland & I think there are a lot of people who would have liked to go to Ireland's 3 pool games only to see them sold out very early. Surely they could have filled RDS at least.

Best of luck to the team they have decent chance of qualifying for the Semi Finals as their world ranking of 5th suggests. Pack is excellent & some good backs too although Niamh Briggs a big loss in every respect running, kicking etc.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

matt wrote:What capacity does UCD have. It's not often a World Cup comes to Ireland & I think there are a lot of people who would have liked to go to Ireland's 3 pool games only to see them sold out very early. Surely they could have filled RDS at least.

Best of luck to the team they have decent chance of qualifying for the Semi Finals as their world ranking of 5th suggests. Pack is excellent & some good backs too although Niamh Briggs a big loss in every respect running, kicking etc.
Not sure about capacity. But I know they've beefed up the Bowl and built stands on the GAA pitch.

They said they've sold over 16000 tickets over the 3 match days. So 5500 between both venues and I'd say that's 3500/2000 based on what the Bowl has capacity-wise already combined with the extras.

Who knows why they went for the smaller venue? UCD is pretty much a town so everything can be contained in there. I went to college there and the gym, pool, wifi and accommodation are all pretty damn good. Not to mention all the pitches they have.

It's possible they didn't think they'd have this much interest initially. You'd hope they're more ambitious than that though haha.
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

There's also the small matter of rhe Horse Show in the RDS.
A proud Winsome Fluter
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Irish team named for tomorrow

The Ireland Women's side to face Australia in their first match of the Women's Rugby World Cup 2017 has been confirmed by the Irish Management Team.

Ireland begin the tournament in the UCD Bowl tomorrow evening against the Wallaroos, with the game kicking off at 7pm.
Head Coach Tom Tierney has named Lindsay Peat, Cliodhna Moloney and Ailis Egan in the front row.
The second-row is comprised of Marie-Louise Reilly and Paula Fitzpatrick, and the back-row sees Ashleigh Baxter at 6, Heather O'Brien at Number 8 and Captain Claire Molloy at 7.
Larissa Muldoon partners out-half Nora Stapleton at half-back, with Sene Naoupu and Jenny Murphy forming the centre partnership.
Alison Miller and Eimear Considine line out on the wings, with Hannah Tyrrell at full-back.
On the selection, Tierney said;
"The squad are very excited to get the tournament underway. They have had excellent preparation and things have really come together since arriving into UCD on Saturday afternoon and everyone has been extremely focused on their role and the challenge ahead.
The Australians are a good team and we will have to be very good for the opening game. The players are all very clear on the challenges that the Wallaroos pose.
However this is a home World Cup and we're confident that the crowd will get behind us tomorrow evening which will be an added benefit for us and we're all looking forward to getting the tournament underway."
The game will be broadcast on television in the Republic of Ireland by Eir Sport and RTE and in the UK by ITV 4.
RTE 2fm will have live commentary on radio.

Ireland Women's Team to play Australia
Women's Rugby World Cup 2017, Pool C, UCD Bowl, Wednesday 9th August, 7pm.

15. Hannah Tyrrell (Old Belvedere RFC/Leinster)
14. Eimear Considine (UL Bohemian RFC/Munster)
13. Jenny Murphy (Old Belvedere RFC/Leinster)
12. Sene Naoupu (Harlequins FC)
11. Alison Miller (Old Belvedere RFC/Connacht)
10. Nora Stapleton (Old Belvedere RFC/Leinster)
9. Larissa Muldoon (Railway Union RFC/Ulster)
1. Lindsay Peat (Railway Union RFC/Leinster)
2. Cliodhna Moloney (Railway Union RFC/Leinster)
3. Ailis Egan (Old Belvedere RFC/Leinster)
4. Paula Fitzpatrick (St. Mary's College RFC/Leinster)
5. Marie-Louise Reilly (Old Belvedere RFC/Leinster)
6. Ashleigh Baxter (Cooke RFC/Ulster)
7. Claire Molloy (Bristol RFC/Connacht) Captain
8. Heather O'Brien (Highfield RFC/Munster)

16. Leah Lyons (Highfield RFC/Munster)
17. Ruth O'Reilly (Galwegians RFC/Connacht)
18. Ciara O'Connor (Galwegians RFC/Connacht)
19. Sophie Spence (Old Belvedere RFC/Leinster)
20. Ciara Griffin (UL Bohemian RFC/Munster)
21. Nicole Cronin (UL Bohemian RFC/Munster)
22. Katie Fitzhenry (Blackrock College RFC/Leinster)
23. Mairead Coyne (Galwegians RFC/Connacht)

Ireland Women's Rugby World Cup Fixtures - Pool C
Wednesday 9th August, 7pm UCD Bowl
Ireland v Australia

Sunday 13th August, 5.15pm, UCD Bowl
Ireland v Japan

Thursday 17th August, 7.45pm, UCD Bowl
France v Ireland

For more information on Women's Rugby World Cup 2017, please visit www.rwcwomens.com.
I have Bumbleflex
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:
matt wrote:What capacity does UCD have. It's not often a World Cup comes to Ireland & I think there are a lot of people who would have liked to go to Ireland's 3 pool games only to see them sold out very early. Surely they could have filled RDS at least.

Not sure about capacity. But I know they've beefed up the Bowl and built stands on the GAA pitch.

They said they've sold over 16000 tickets over the 3 match days. So 5500 between both venues and I'd say that's 3500/2000 based on what the Bowl has capacity-wise already combined with the extras.

Who knows why they went for the smaller venue? UCD is pretty much a town so everything can be contained in there. I went to college there and the gym, pool, wifi and accommodation are all pretty damn good. Not to mention all the pitches they have.

It's possible they didn't think they'd have this much interest initially. You'd hope they're more ambitious than that though haha.
You sure that isn't 16k per day - I know they have built significant enough stands in the Bowl - and then added more
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Two good quality games in Eng v Spain and Wales v NZ. The margins in each case don't do justice to how competitive the games have been. Also good skills level in both games.

Wales have been excellent in tackle and line-out and passable in scrums and maul but Black Ferns have v strong half-backs and superb back three. Five tries (two intercepts) for NZ so far, but Wales only lack belief to get a couple of victories.

Spain a little bit similar in other game and certainly have some good runners and excellent tackling back-row.

Ref in Wales v NZ game is overawed by NZ reputation and has allowed them liberties.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Crackin gem a rubby! I need a rest after just watching it.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Decent pack, decent centres, one great winger, but oh dear, we'll not go far with those half-backs. Both good footballers, but not half-backs for this level.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

johng wrote:Crackin gem a rubby! I need a rest after just watching it.
Just hope some of the hits didnt frighten David Corkery too much
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon