Women's World Cup 2017

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Re: Women's World Cup 2017

Post by Ruckedtobits »

A few basic tactical alterations would make sense e.g.:
Defensive Exits Instead of a deep lying out-half taking a slow pass and shovelling across to even deeper lying centres, why not kick to touch directly, or box kick long if breakdown on the side of winger Millar? Our defensive line-out is very strong and it pushes opposition defence back to different field positions.

Back-row Options from scrum let No 8 distribute left directly to Jennie Murphy on left side of scrum and using ball directly to Miller. This reduces the number of passes and facilitates taking the ball flat and eliminates passing by our half-backs.

Forwards picking and drive straight through breakdown: Don't always pick and pop around the side of ruck / breakdown but rather pick and drive straight down middle or ruck. This keeps defence honest and players off the sides and allows Ireland to set up driving mauls which suit their skills.

Keeping opponents thinking as to what's coming next must be a major tactical requirement for a team like Ireland who don't appear to have too many set-piece options in the backline.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Double post
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Its may not be very PC to remark on this, but the amateur antripologist in me can't help but remark that the English saxon tribe is playing today against Italy, whereas the English Carribean tribe ran in London last night in the 4× 100 relay. All the potential hept-athleths are playing rugby!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Very impressive pace and accuracy of passing from Cronin at scrum-half in opening 5 mins with two 10-phase possessions from Ireland. Japan very settled defensively and won't be easily broken down.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Ireland will not make last four on basis of performances to date. England clearly the best followed by NZ, France / Canada, with even Wales, Australia and Italy looking as good as we are.

Great pack display and very sorry that Millar doesn't get more attacking ball. But WOTM award for Stapleton!*÷? Crazt decision, Fitzpatrick in 40 mins saved Irieland.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Very impressive pace and accuracy of passing from Cronin at scrum-half in opening 5 mins with two 10-phase possessions from Ireland. Japan very settled defensively and won't be easily broken down.
She is an aficionado of the lost art of passing from the base of the ruck. And has a very snappy pass. Muldoon was taking far too long on the ball and with Stapleton standing so deep it was a real issue. Cronins passing was a marked imoprovement.
Ruckedtobits wrote:Ireland will not make last four on basis of performances to date. England clearly the best followed by NZ, France / Canada, with even Wales, Australia and Italy looking as good as we are.

Great pack display and very sorry that Millar doesn't get more attacking ball. But WOTM award for Stapleton!*÷? Crazt decision, Fitzpatrick in 40 mins saved Irieland.
Fitzpatrick really was the difference today. Unbelievable impact.

Need to stop messing around with this impact stuff and take the game to France from the off. Spence and Maz in the Row, Fitzpatrick to no. 8 and really hammer it to them.

On the basis on quality ball, I'd keep Cronin on for France, quick ball to Stapleton and pin the French in their half and pressure the lineout. Passing skills and general comfort on the ball are clearly inferior to other teams so might as well utilise our pack as much as we can
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:Very impressive pace and accuracy of passing from Cronin at scrum-half in opening 5 mins with two 10-phase possessions from Ireland. Japan very settled defensively and won't be easily broken down.
She is an aficionado of the lost art of passing from the base of the ruck. And has a very snappy pass. Muldoon was taking far too long on the ball and with Stapleton standing so deep it was a real issue. Cronins passing was a marked imoprovement.
Not entirely sure why Ailsa Hughes fell out of favour after a very promising start to the Six Nations this year
I have Bumbleflex
Cathalsmart
Bookworm

Post by Cathalsmart »

Based on what I've seen so far we would do well to be within 15 points of that French team, not blooding another fly half has been a big mistake as while Nora is overall a good fly half with loads of experience she really cant get the backline moving meaning we have to resort to crash ball repeatedly and that won't be anywhere near enough vs France. In this squad there is a really strong XV somewhere but we don't seem to be able to find it and at this stage we are in last chance saloon, Fitzpatrick,Molloy,Spence all have to be on the park with Naoupo,Miller,Murphy int he backline. We get them all out there next week and have them firing on all cylinders we might have a chance.
Cathalsmart
Bookworm

Post by Cathalsmart »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:Ireland will not make last four on basis of performances to date. England clearly the best followed by NZ, France / Canada, with even Wales, Australia and Italy looking as good as we are.

Need to stop messing around with this impact stuff and take the game to France from the off. Spence and Maz in the Row, Fitzpatrick to no. 8 and really hammer it to them.

On the basis on quality ball, I'd keep Cronin on for France, quick ball to Stapleton and pin the French in their half and pressure the lineout. Passing skills and general comfort on the ball are clearly inferior to other teams so might as well utilise our pack as much as we can
Our problems with passing is all down to our 10 always being deep, every opposition player is in our faces before they even get the ball which leads to us going nowhere. I look at our backline and there clearly is imo a lot of talent there but that's no good when your crippled by a 10 that always sits too deep.
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

Baffling decision to give POTM to Stapleton, Fitzpatrick and Cronin (to name but two) were miles ahead of her. Really impressed by Cronin, she looks every inch an international 9 - and she's only 17!
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

Hippo wrote:Baffling decision to give POTM to Stapleton, Fitzpatrick and Cronin (to name but two) were miles ahead of her. Really impressed by Cronin, she looks every inch an international 9 - and she's only 17!
I think you're mixing up the Japanese scrumhalf with Cronin.

If I'm not mistaken Cronin is 23 or so.

But no getting around the fact she looks so young!!
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:
Hippo wrote:Baffling decision to give POTM to Stapleton, Fitzpatrick and Cronin (to name but two) were miles ahead of her. Really impressed by Cronin, she looks every inch an international 9 - and she's only 17!

Just checked on irishrugby.ie and she's actually 25 this weekend, and is related to Sean. Useless fact of the day! :D
Dont Panic!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Dexter wrote:
arsebiscuits1 wrote:

Just checked on irishrugby.ie and she's actually 25 this weekend, and is related to Sean. Useless fact of the day! :D
Related to Sean "Nugget" Cronin?
We could call her "popcorn", as in the chicken variety.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

Dexter wrote:
arsebiscuits1 wrote:

:oops: mea maxima culpa!
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:

Called it! Where do I submit my CV?

http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/40356.php#.WZRHRlWGPIU
Cathalsmart
Bookworm

Post by Cathalsmart »

Ireland should not have even bothered turning up tbh, Ireland have literally done nothing but defend from the word go really the last thing you need to be doing consistently against this French outfit.
Cathalsmart
Bookworm

Post by Cathalsmart »

All the big problems in Irish rugby are on show again, one out runners, tactical kicking essentially trying to play as safe a brand of rugby as possible. Was this seriously the tactic going into the French game? are the coaching team high? this is exactly what Ireland have had coming to them from day one.
Cathalsmart
Bookworm

Post by Cathalsmart »

HT 21-0 to France. One trick pony is the best way to describe this Irish team, completely nullified. France though have been excellent and at this moment in time they would definitely be in that England New Zealand bracket and it will be interesting to see what they can do against these team's in the semi. I don't want to kick them when they are down but consider they are top 5 in the world and have home field advantage Ireland should be ashamed with this world cup showing, its actually been quite depressing to watch but this is really making me lose the will to watch Ireland play. Home for the girls sake they really prove me wrong in this second half.
BlueArmyOriginal
Rhys Ruddock

Post by BlueArmyOriginal »

With all the progress that's been made to the womens game over the last 5ish years tonight shows us where we are against the benchmark.

f%~k 7s. Noone in Ireland cares about it. Better to put that investment into a fully professional womens test squad backed up by a semi-pro interpro championship playing double headers with Pro14 derby days.

The Ireland XV winning 6nations and world cups will matter alot more to the cointry than the 7s team maybe qualifying for an olympics.

Ps: That French no8 is some player!
'And striding away now! For Leinster, is Brian O'Driscoll! He's Running for the posts, he could be running for the Final here! We've got a quarter of the match to go but at the moment the colour is Blue!!' Myles Harrison; Croke Park; 2nd May 2009
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

If ever there was a single game to prove that heart alone is never enough, this was it.

No doubting the will to win, the refusal to give up or give in. But the appliance of science it wasn't. Well done players for your heart and spirit. But..........