Ireland 2017-18

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

John23
Enlightened

Re: Ireland 2017-18

Post by John23 »

No Sean Cronin or Tiernan O'Halloran which is puzzling.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
“Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue.”
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

No Sean Cronin! Surely he's injured??

No Cooney either, I'd definitely have had him in there.

Both Kearneys are in. I can kind of understand Rob being picked even though he hasn't been playing but not Dave. Not surprising but Payne left out too.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Keatley and McCloskey in, it's a far more interesting squad than usual.

James Ryan and Porter in too.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Definitely a few interesting/contestable calls. Chris Farrell ahead of Luke Marshall, Dave Kearney and Rob Kearney both in, no Cronin, and Herring and Tracy ahead of the various other hooker options. Can't wait to see the Munster reaction to the Kearneys and Adam Byrne getting selected ahead of Zebo...
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:No Sean Cronin! Surely he's injured??

No Cooney either, I'd definitely have had him in there.

Both Kearneys are in. I can kind of understand Rob being picked even though he hasn't been playing but not Dave. Not surprising but Payne left out too.
+1 on Cooney, Cronin and O'Halloran.

Not so surprised about DK but amazed at inclusion of RK which doesn't send any good signals to guys getting the job done week by week, especially TO'H.
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

Terrible decision to pick rk over to'h. Just tells us that Joe clearly has his favourites and ignores form and potential. Rk has been in decline for years yet is named in every Ireland squad. Carbery has beaten more defenders in the past 6 months that rk has in the last 3 years. T o'h must have thought with zebo leaving that the fb slot was his to lose. Now can't even get in the squad. Only hope now is that carbery starts at fb instead of rk.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I can see it with Rob because we lack experience back there and he's rumoured to be starting on Saturday, and if he's fit in February then he'll certainly be in contention for the 6N. No doubt he's very lucky though. TOH still unlucky though, seems like his face just doesn't fit, particularly with Zebo missing.

With only three games I'm intrigued to see how the game time is spread out with all the inexperienced guys. I think we'll definitely see some experimenting but they can't all get games. It wouldn't bother me if someone like Adam didn't see any game time, just happy that he'll be in camp and hopefully Joe can improve him.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Perhaps not surprising but just noticed that ROL isn't in it. I'd have thought that he was a good option for the 23 jersey.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Best, Tracy, Herring
McGrath, Healy, Kilcoyne
Furlong, Ryan, Porter
Henderson, Dillane
Toner, Ryan, Treadwell
Ruddock, POM
SOB, Leavy, TOD
Stander, Conan

Murray, Marmion, McGrath
Sexton, Keatley
Aki, McCloskey
Henshaw, Farrell
Earls, Stockdale, DK
Sweetnam, Conway, Byrne
Carberry, RK, Conway

of the 8 outside backs only Earls, Stockdale, Sweetnam, and Carberry are starting AND playing well. IMO a lot of the Connacht contenders who made it or not have not been in good form
To be brutal Keatley, McCloskey, Farrell, Byrne, DK are there to make up the numbers/fill temporary gaps

Only big call in forwards is Herring over Cronin. I'd prefer Cronin's ball carrying as an impact sub but seems like theyve plumped for nuts and bolts. Sub second row looks like an interesting battle between Ryan and Dillane @LRIP 23 looks a very interesting call too, I'd go Conway
Last edited by simonokeeffe on October 26th, 2017, 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

Perhaps although I think Conway is probably earmarked for that spot esp as he's covered from the bench for Ireland already and schmidt knows he is up to speed with the calls, roles, game plan etc.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

So Zebo is an ex-International now.
Classic Joe.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

First take:

Herring over Cronin? Questionable
How's Dillane's form? Haven't seen him in a while
TOD over Henry or Murphy - No thanks
McGrath can consider himself lucky to be ahead of Cooney
Don't want to see Farrell in an Ireland shirt if he's still set on delivering late/questionable tackles
Including the Kearneys is madness, Healy and TOH more deserving
Would've liked to see Beirne come in
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Again this may not be a surprise to most but Jordi has been left out, it is a little surprising to me because he's a favourite of Joe's and is so versatile.

So many back three players essentially done with Ireland all of a sudden...Trimble, Bowe, Zebo, and TOH. If I was TOH I'd be looking towards a big contract abroad. Luke Marshall out of favour too and I don't see him making his way back in any time soon. I'd have had Scannell in there and think he's unlucky, but think the door is still pen for him.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

jimbobjoe wrote:First take:

Don't want to see Farrell in an Ireland shirt if he's still set on delivering late/questionable tackles
Agree with a lot of what you said but think TOD has been in good form.

Forgot about Beirne, I'd have included him too although hard to know who I'd have left out.
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
jimbobjoe wrote:First take:

Agree with a lot of what you said but think TOD has been in good form.

Forgot about Beirne, I'd have included him too although hard to know who I'd have left out.
I'd just add him in there and see how he gets on in Joe training. A matchday squad with Beirne, Henderson and Ruddock offers a lot of options for attritional positions.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

I can actually somewhat understand Rob Kearney being selected, but not Dave. With Zebo gone, as others have said, we lack an experienced option at 15. RK's got the type of 50 cap+ profile where being selected even after a long-term injury is somewhat justified. Dave, on the other hand, has looked off the pace in the little game time he's got for Leinster this season and is not of the same calibre (in terms of experience) as his brother. TOH may not be having an amazing season but surely he merited selection ahead of DK? ROL being excluded is fair enough, he can't defend and that isn't good enough at international level (although A.Byrne got picked...).

Chris Farrell has been mixed for Munster, Luke Marshall while not having an amazing season himself and having a couple of injury issues was surely still the better choice. I'd even have Rory Scannell ahead of Farrell.

I think Jordi misses out because he's only just back from injury. TOD hasn't been playing particularly well (none of the Munster back row have), he can probably count himself a little fortunate to make it on the back of VDF's injury.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

1st XXIII:

1.J.McGrath 2.Best 3.Furlong

4.Toner 5.Henderson

6.POM 8.Stander 7.SOB

9.Murray 10.Sexton 12.Aki 13.Henshaw (could swap the centre jerseys) 14.Stockdale

11.Earls 15.Carbery

16.Herring (?)...doesn't inspire confidence at the top level but at least he can throw. 17.C.Healy 18.John Ryan 19.Dillane 20.Conan 21.Marmion 22.Keatley 23.Conway

XXIII vs. Fiji:

1.C.Healy 2.Herring 3.John Ryan

4.James Ryan 5.Dillane

6.Ruddock 8.Conan 7.Leavy

9.Marmion 10.Keatley 12.McCloskey 13.Farrell 14.Conway

11.Sweetnam 15.R.Kearney

16.Tracy 17.Kilcoyne 18.Porter 19.Treadwell 20.TOD 21.L.McGrath 22.Carbery 23.A.Byrne/D.Kearney
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

neiliog93 wrote:1st XXIII:

1.J.McGrath 2.Best 3.Furlong

4.Toner 5.Henderson

6.POM 8.Stander 7.SOB

9.Murray 10.Sexton 12.Aki 13.Henshaw (could swap the centre jerseys) 14.Stockdale

11.Earls 15.Carbery

16.Herring (?)...doesn't inspire confidence at the top level but at least he can throw. 17.C.Healy 18.John Ryan 19.Dillane 20.Conan 21.Marmion 22.Keatley 23.Conway

XXIII vs. Fiji:

1.C.Healy 2.Herring 3.John Ryan

4.James Ryan 5.Dillane

6.Ruddock 8.Conan 7.Leavy

9.Marmion 10.Keatley 12.McCloskey 13.Farrell 14.Conway

11.Sweetnam 15.R.Kearney

16.Tracy 17.Kilcoyne 18.Porter 19.Treadwell 20.TOD 21.L.McGrath 22.Carbery 23.A.Byrne/D.Kearney
I like the backline in the first team....especially the back 3!
Dont Panic!
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

When is Cronin's contract up?
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

paddyor wrote:When is Cronin's contract up?
End of this season. With his eye-catching pace and raft of international caps would be a very sexy front row signing for a multi-millionaire club owner. Maybe Joe and the top echelons of the IRFU know of some transfer news re. Cronin that the general public are still unaware of.