England rugby union team....or is it League?

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

England rugby union team....or is it League?

Post by Flash Gordon »

Big names demand England shake-up

Robinson oversaw a shocking England performance in Paris
England's humiliating 31-6 defeat to France has sparked a wave of criticism for coach Andy Robinson and his staff.
Former England back Austin Healey has demanded that Robinson and his support team be sacked immediately.

And ex-England coaches Geoff Cooke and Dick Best say Robinson's reliance on rugby league tacticians Joe Lydon and Phil Larder is stifling creativity.

Healey told the Daily Mirror: "Enough is enough. Something has to be done and I would wield the big stick now."

Leicester star Healey, capped 51 times by England, continued: "That was as bad a performance as I can ever remember seeing from an England team.

Make no mistake, this is a crisis

Dick Best
"The players looked to be lacking in inspiration and tactical awareness - and that is down to the coaches.

"I have spoken to a number of the players and the consensus is that they're not sure what's going on.

"They think they are getting better coaching at their clubs and that is a worrying thing.

"Robbo's got to hold his hand up and say: 'I've given it my best shot but unfortunately I'm not good enough.' I think it is time he did that."

Feature: Are England down and out?
The defeat in Paris on Sunday has sparked a storm of criticism, with backs coach Lydon and defence organiser Larder under particular pressure.

Best told The Guardian: "Make no mistake, this is a crisis. It seems to be there are too many people with rugby league backgrounds in the England camp.

Our use of the ball against France was terrible

Geoff Cooke
"But these guys are contracted up to and beyond the World Cup. Save in Wales, no international coach falls on his sword these days. The cost would be astronomical."

Cooke, England manager for the 1991 World Cup, told The Independent: "Joe Lydon was a fantastic rugby league player.

"But does he have the union knowledge to give England an effective attack? Our use of the ball against France was terrible."

Roger Uttley, who coached England during the same campaign, added: "Every organisation needs some sort of rethink on a fairly regular basis to keep it up to the mark.

London Irish star Catt could lift England's midfield malaise
"The guys in place have been there for sometime and there could be a need for a few changes."

Meanwhile, Best has called for wholesale changes for Saturday's Six Nations clash with Ireland - including the recall of veteran London Irish centre Mike Catt.

Best told Five Live: "I would put out the biggest SOS I could to Mike Catt and say 'please come and play'.

Catt last played for England on the ill-fated tour of Australia and New Zealand in June 2004.

Robinson will be boosted, however, by the comments of RFU bigwig Fran Cotton who was on the four-man panel who appointed him as coach to succeed Sir Clive Woodward.

Andy and his coaching team have some soul-searching to do

Fran Cotton
"Andy is a top coach but he knows you get a pat on the back when things go well and you cop it when things go against you," the former England prop said.

"But it would be crazy to change the whole set-up so close to the World Cup.

"Andy and his coaching team have some soul-searching to do, though.

"The performance against France was not what is expected and they have got to have a good look at themselves."

And another former England coach Jack Rowell told the Daily Telegraph: "It's far too late to make changes.

"This is only Robinson's second season and there is plenty of time before the World Cup."

RFU management board chairman Martyn Thomas told The Guardian: "We will do what's necessary to enhance our chances of doing well in the World Cup.

"If that means making changes, so be it, but we are not going into panic mode."
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
upfront_1979
Knowledgeable

Post by upfront_1979 »

who cares as long as they don't change it until after next saturday :D
'I love ball carrying. I see it as being one of the primal parts of rugby - getting the ball and running at the opposition,'
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

upfront_1979 wrote:who cares as long as they don't change it until after next saturday :D
Absolutely!!! Challenging the coach's credentials and pressuring him can only be good for Ireland!

I did say a couple of days ago that it was like watching League when England play. No width and no pace, with fatboys playing loose and doing most of the ball carrying......fockin ugly to watch and totally ineffective.....hope they do it again this weekend! :D
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us