Ireland u20 2017-2018

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Ireland u20 2017-2018

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Thought our physicality was good at the very start of the game but trailed off badly once we came under pressure. Our handling was very poor early on and we kept putting ourselves under serious pressure with that and the silly penalties. Once we were under the pump we made really poor decisions and fell out of our defensive systems.

Our number 8 had a good first half but the flankers weren't great and not everyone in the front five stood up. Different story in the second half though, thought the entire pack really stepped it up and played very well. Masterson made a big difference too. Aungier really grew into the game as well, thought it was an odd time to take him off. Then the backs were more willing to move the ball and the execution was much much better. Great spirit to come back and we showed great composure. Unlucky for Byrne to miss the last kick after playing so well before that but I thought our defence was very impressive near the end and then we did really well to eek out that last opportunity to gain a point.

I would have liked to see Silvester pin his ears back in open space. Apart from the break out from our 22 I felt like he constantly went infield when he had the chance to take his man on the outside, seemed very hesitant to me. Special mention for O'Brien who worked exceptionally hard and really got stuck in. He was doing more dirty work than the flankers in the first half, really inspirational stuff.

If we can keep everyone fit and have Doris back for the World Cup then I can envisage a huge improvement by then. We have the skills, the physicality, and the brains to do very well. We didn't show it in the first half but it's definitely all there IMO.
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

thought the RTE commentary was woeful beyond belief - pity no one thought of giving him a list of the Irish player's names. Any idea how Daniel Brennan was allowed back on the pitch after half time given that his original substitution clearly wasn't blood related ?
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

He did have a very small amount of blood on his face, not sure how easy it is to claim a blood injury though, and he did seem to get a knock in the head so could have been a HIA. To me it looked like the actual injuries were to his shoulder and ribs but I'd say it would have been easy enough to claim one of the others and give him a rest. I think that's all it was tbh, he looked wrecked after a couple of minutes.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Yeah, RTÉ commentary was utterly abject. Our only outstanding players were the 8-9-10 axis (Jack O'Sullivan, Johnny Stewart and Harry Byrne). Tommy O'Brien was good at 13 and Silvester looked dangerous from 15 the few times he got space. The rest of our back row was disappointing, and while our second rows were tall and decent at the line out, they disappointed in terms of physicality in the loose and the tight. Front row did reasonably well against a big French scrum, but nobody stood out and Kelleher's darts were a little inconsistent.

Trevor Brennan's son was pretty poor to be honest. Vulnerable at the scrum and with 2 exceptions, his carrying gained little yardage. Huge kid and obviously has potential but being 130 kg doesn't mean much on its own.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

How well did Stewart and Dalton play, we are blocked from viewing up here via Sky.
wwed
Learner

Post by wwed »

Thought Stewart was very good, kicked well and scored a lovely try. Dalton was prominent early on, took quite a few lineouts.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Stewart was excellent, one of our best players. Dalton was decent, one of our best forwards, but that's not saying that much as our pack was well beaten overall.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Stewart had a good game and looked like he has come on a bit from last season. Dalton defended well but probably isn't going to be playing at 6 long term.

The tight 5 also we're good I thought. They struggled dealing with French mails but that was expected given the size difference. The French lineout was excellent which didn't help.

I thought the back 3 were awful. Silvester is a good player but I agree that he seemed to hesitate and run sideways a lot. It might be a year too soon for James McCarthy who despite showing some class for the try, had a nightmare first half. Peter Sullivan looked VERY slow and kicked the ball away in a good position one time. It sounds harsh and it's only game one but I think we might see changes there next week.

I can see why Byrne is the starting 10. He put on a great kicking display and it was that that got Ireland back in the game.

The coaches did well to turn it around at half time but they need to work on the defending and attacking game.

Still, there seems to be a solid foundation to build on. Solid set pieces, a decent pack who will get better and good half backs. It looks more stable than last year.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Good to hear about Stewart now all we need is another decent 10 up here , also good to hear Dalton did well.
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Post by Fan with smartphone »

Byrne, in a surprise to no-one, really has a good kicking game. In the second half he wisely kicked a lot and had only 2 not excellent kicks: one where he forced a chip in behind that wasn’t on and another where he kicked long to touch but didn’t put it in the stand and allowed them a quick lineout. Both times it ended in tries eventually I think, which is a worry for the team. When he put the ball behind the French, or found a clean touch, he had the French in his back pocket. That said, he needs to be more of a threat with ball in hand.

France had some incredible carriers, but they lacked coherence in their play. McCarthy in the centre impressed me in the way he broke up their play and both those centres will hopefully get more reward for some of their good work as the year goes on. They didn’t get as much reward as they deserved last night unfortunately, but signs weren’t bad.

Pack lost contact. That’s disappointing, even if the French were bigger. They didn’t seem totally switched on to this intensity early on. Some players’ body language way too casual for my liking. I may be holding him to a higher standard, but Dalton in particular took about 3 mistakes to settle in. That’s 3 too many away to France for your main man. I thought overall we won the scrum and lineout, but again didn’t get full reward for that work - France scored off a clever lineout and for us there were tries possibly left out there with kicks at goal taken. Probably correct decisions, but had we won those penalties at a different time in the game, then they would’ve gone to the corner. In terms of being switched on, I also was disappointed with clock management during the yellow card. Now, we did well on the scoreboard in that period, but it could’ve actually been even better. Even with a difficult penalty, there was too much discussion about posts or corner. They are on a yellow. Put her in the corner and build the pace and momentum against them. They really didn’t fancy that type of game.

I’d be optimistic that this team will improve and I’d fancy them against France in a re-match. They could’ve even won this from 19 down at halftime. They’ve a decent foundation to build on for the home games anyway.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Harry Byrne was pretty impressive...
Edna Kenny
Graduate

Post by Edna Kenny »

There was a knock on by France off the back of their scrum before they scored near the end and the ref let it go. Could have made a big difference in the end although I don't think Ireland deserved to win really. The commentary was pretty dull. If you're commentating or summarising you need a bit of enthusiasm. I guess it takes a bit of prcatice. Fair play to Tommy O'Brien for busting a gut for his try, poor fella getting sick whilst Byrne was lining up the conversion. Hope it was nothing serious.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Just noticed that the U-20 home game v Wales on Feb 23rd (19.15) kicks off 20 minutes before Leinster's home game against the Southern Kings (19.35). Some top-notch planning going on there. Also the same evening as France v Italy (20:00).
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Ireland U20 v Italy U20, U20 Six Championship, Friday 9th February, Donnybrook Stadium. Kick-Off: 7.15pm

15. Michael Silvester (Dublin University/Leinster) (5)
14. Peter Sullivan (Lansdowne FC/Leinster) (1)
13. Tommy O'Brien (UCD RFC/Leinster) (6) Captain
12. Angus Curtis (Queen's University RFC/Ulster) (1)
11. James McCarthy (UL Bohemian/Munster) (1)
10. Harry Byrne (UCD RFC/Leinster) (1)
9. Hugh O'Sullivan (Clontarf FC/Leinster) (1)
1. Jordan Duggan (Naas/Leinster) (5)
2. Ronan Kelleher (UCD/ Leinster) (9)
3. Jack Aungier (St. Mary's College RFC/Leinster) (1)
4. Cormac Daly (Clontarf FC/Leinster) (1)
5. Jack Dunne (Dublin University FC/Leinster) (1)
6. Sean Masterson (Corinthians RFC/Connacht) (5)
7. Matthew Agnew (Ballymena RFC/Ulster) (0)
8. Jack O'Sullivan (UCC RFC/Munster) (1)

Replacements:
16. Eoghan Clarke (Wanderers FC/Leinster) (0)
17. James French (UCC RFC/Munster) (1)
18.Tom O'Toole (Banbridge RFC/Ulster) (1)
19. Charlie Ryan (UCD RFC/Leinster) (0)
20. Ronan Foley (UCD RFC/Leinster) (0)
21. Paddy Patterson (UCD RFC/Leinster) (0)
22. Conor Dean (St.Mary's College RFC/Leinster) (5)
23. Angus Kernohan (Ballymena RFC/Ulster) (0)
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

cormac wrote:Just noticed that the U-20 home game v Wales on Feb 23rd (19.15) kicks off 20 minutes before Leinster's home game against the Southern Kings (19.35). Some top-notch planning going on there. Also the same evening as France v Italy (20:00).
Can add Munster v Glasgow (19:00) to that list. On Sky Sports. In 2017 and 2015, there were no league games the weekend of the Friday game. In 2016 and 2014, there were league games, but were played on a Thursday night and multiple games on a Sunday. The Sunday games were particularly unpopular with the Welsh Regions and now the league actively tries to avoid Sunday games where possible.

This is the 8th Friday night 6N game - Wales have hosted 6 with France moving onto 2 with this year's one. Clearly not every country wants to host the Friday night game/logistics would be an issue. England have cited the latter as the reason for not wanting to do it.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Interesting interview with Harry Byrne here: https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/rug ... 66870.html

“I always used to watch O’Gara as I loved his kicking game. Loved his low spirals into the corner. His place-kicking was unbelievable as well but what I like is Johnny Sexton’s running game and something I really try and model is getting second touches on the ball.

“That’s where he’s so good at making passes and pushing through the line. He’s got so many tries out of it, almost made a career of scoring tries from second touches, so his running game is something that’s really good.”
He impressed me against France I must say, particularly his kicking game.

Good to see he is focused on his attacking and line breaking game. That's probably where his bigger bro needs to improve most to step up to next level too.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Harry is a better natural athlete than Ross, which will only help with that aspect of his game.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

mildlyinterested wrote:Loosehead Prop
Jordan Duggan(Naas RFC)
James French(UCC RFC)
Joe Byrne(DUFC)

Jordan Duggan returns from last season when he was a surprise addition to the Ireland u20 squad for the junior world cup. James French is probably the higher rated player, he has struggled somewhat this season to date with staying healthy and hasn't many games under his belt at AIL level. Joe Byrne emerged from nowhere last season for Blackrock and pushed on even further this season, is capable of holding up both side of the scrum, starts regularly at tighthead for his club. If there is an injury, Niall McEniff(St. Marys College RFC) looks like the most like player to be called up at this position.

Tighthead Prop
Jack Aungier(St. Marys College RFC)
Tom O'Toole(Banbridge RFC)
Joe Byrne(DUFC)

Jack Aungier has been well known about since he a young age when he played for Ireland u18 clubs as a 16 year old prop. Joining the leinster academy straight from school added further to that. Usually features off the bench for his club, has began to feature for Leinster A in 2018. Tom O'Toole moved to Campbell College from Australia at under-18 level, but is originally from Dublin, is a huge carrier of the ball but a work in progress when it comes to the scrum. Usually features off the bench for his club, has had several impressive performances in the loose for Ulster A. Joe Byrne as mentioned above is capable of playing both prop positions and is currently the only tighthead starting regularly in the AIL. If there is an injury, Bryan O'Connor(UCC RFC) looks like the most like player to be called up at this position.

Hooker
Ronan Kelleher(Lansdowne FC)
Diarmuid Barron(Garryowen RFC)

Both hookers return from last season, where Ronan Kelleher was highly impressive in the game time he garnered at JWC. Kelleher appears to be on the fast track within Leinster and could be called upon during the 6 nations given the injury situation at Leinster. As with most leinster hookers he is a convert from another position and his darts are his biggest weakness. Diarmuid Barron has had an injury interrupted season, the long time hooker is like most munster hookers in that he does the basics of the position pretty well. Somewhat surprisingly he did not get a Munster academy deal last summer. If there is an injury, Alex Clarke(Queens RFC) looks like the most like player to be called up at this position.

Second Row
Charlie Ryan(UCD RFC)
Jack Dunne(DUFC)
Cormac Daly(Clontarf RFC)
Matthew Dalton(Malone RFC)
Ronan Coffey(Shannon RFC)

A very strong year for this position, Charlie Ryan and Jack Dunne are pure second rows with both players close to being 6'7. Dunne has had a great season for DUFC in the AIL, while Ryan missed the first half of the season with injury. Him making this squad reflects how highly rated he is. Cormac Daly went to the junior world cup last season but did not make an appearance, he has followed that up with a very strong season for Clontarf in the AIL. Daly could possibly play blindside if needed but i'd consider that pretty unlikely. Matthew Dalton has already played for Ulster several times and is very highly regarded in the province, he is capable of playing blindside or second row and if not needed by Ulster should feature heavily for Ireland under-20. Ronan Coffey is a another athletic player who has experience at both blindside and second row, in my opinion he is the most likely of the players listed above to lineout at blindside flanker. If there is an injury, John McCusker(Rainey OB RFC) looks like the most like player to be called up at this position.

Backrow
Sean Masterson(Corinthians RFC)
Joe Dunleavy(Malone RFC)
Jack O'Sullivan(UCC RFC)

Ireland under-20 are down standout backrower Caelan Doris(St. Marys College RFC) for the 6 nations, the above players are capable of playing 6 or 8 for the 20's. Sean Masterson is the most physically impressive of these players and has experience at this level from last season, the laois man also captained Ireland u19 last season. Joe Dunleavy is a highly rated backrower from Donegal, he has struggled somewhat recently with injury after an impressive start to the season. Jack O'Sullivan was a very impressive player for PBC Cork last season when they won the Munster senior schools cup, he had two very good games in the Ireland u20 warm up games and will hope to carry that form into the 6 nations. If there is an injury, Ronan Foley(UCD RFC) looks like the most like player to be called up at this position.

Openside
Aaron Hall(Ballynahinch RFC)
Matthew Agnew(Ballymena RFC)
Max Kearney(DUFC)

Aaron Hall is the second backrower from an Ulster clubs background, the impressive athlete has already appeared for Ulster senior team and assuming he is available during the 6 nations will likely get first chance at playing openside for Ireland u20. Matthew Agnew is a natural openside flanker who has had an impressive season to date in the AIL, he has also appeared for Ulster A. Max Kearney is another natural openside flanker, he has yet to play AIL rugby this season being behind fellow under-20 Richard Dunne for his club, although he has two recent appearances for Leinster A. If there is an injury, Jack Daly(Garryowen RFC)looks like the most like player to be called up at this position.
Eoghan Clarke(Wanderers FC) is a player I didn't mention in the hooker section, was an ireland u18 international at loosehead prop and played number eight last season for CBC Monkstown. While also their lineout thrower for at least one season. Moved full time to hooker after leaving school last year and has been playing AIL rugby for Wanderers.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Another Ryan in the second row. There must be something in the Ryan clans' genes!

I'm sure the Italians will be another big, physical side. They beat Ireland last season and nearly beat Scotland too from what I can remember. Ireland make a number of changes but keep the same back 3. I thought the wingers would be most likely to be dropped but maybe there isn't a lot of options there this year.

It'll be interesting to see how Harry Byrne develops. Maybe Curtis is there to help with creativity. I'd like to see Tommy O'Brien get a bit more ball this week. He has some serious acceleration.