Ireland v Fiji

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Re: Ireland v Fiji

Post by hugonaut »

simonokeeffe wrote:Going by the reaction to Bent's callup on the social internet media Herbst has stayed fit for more than 6 minutes and not been outplayed by Ah Here, and Bealham swallowed Paul Wallace overnight and hasnt been accordioned in half the games this season
Bent has played really well this season and definitely deserves the nod. His scrummaging has been really strong, which is the key element of a tighthead's game [to state the bleeding obvious]. I'm of the opinion that he's playing the best rugby of his career at the moment and that he has been out-performing John Ryan since the season started. I can see why you'd stick with Ryan given how well he went last season, but Bent is showing well and on current form I'd have him edging it.

Herbst has a lot of ground to make up on everybody. He's in his fourth season, has been injury-prone throughout and has been part of an unconvincing Ulster pack for his entire stint here. He has arguably been shown this season by the performances of Rodney Ah You, who looks in better shape than he has done since the 2014-15 season.

Ah You has very impressive explosive power [as he showed against us recently], but has been incredibly inconsistent in terms of workrate and fitness throughout his career, and is prone to lapses of concentration throughout second half scrums when he begins to tire. However, he can actually provide a lot of impact off the bench - in 304 minutes of gametime for Ulster thus far, he's had 34 carries for 70m with 2 clean breaks, 4 defenders beaten and 3 offloads. That's outstanding for a tighthead. I'm not sure he's got the extremely competitive mentality that you need to thrive at test level, but if Gibbs can motivate him, he becomes a viable candidate again.

Happy for Bent to get the deserved recognition though.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Bent deserves the call-up, although with John Ryan passed fit he probably won't feature. Bent has been very consistent for a couple of years now. Solid against even the strongest of Champions' Cup packs. Ah You is in very good form too, always had huge power and potential but has markedly improved his conditioning, ball skills and scrummaging. People will scoff but he's becoming a genuine, viable option for Ireland at tight-head.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

neiliog93 wrote:Bent deserves the call-up, although with John Ryan passed fit he probably won't feature. Bent has been very consistent for a couple of years now. Solid against even the strongest of Champions' Cup packs. Ah You is in very good form too, always had huge power and potential but has markedly improved his conditioning, ball skills and scrummaging. People will scoff but he's becoming a genuine, viable option for Ireland at tight-head.
That was the problem AhYou was doing too much scoffing. :wink:
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

I definitely agree Bent deserves the callup. Found it funny the straws people were clutching at

How he fared in Argentina may have irrepraply irrepably something Ah You's chances with Joe (unless he nails down a starting berth at least)
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Bent is ahead of Porter for Leinster.

Called up because he's the developing player. Adding Bent is simple and should be non-controversial.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Just finished watching the first half of Wales v Australia and the one thing I would really like to see a big improvement in, is Ireland's passing skills.
Wales are good but Australia are really slick passers of the ball.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Oldschool wrote:Just finished watching the first half of Wales v Australia and the one thing I would really like to see a big improvement in, is Ireland's passing skills.
Alway's were. It's the powder-puff-pack that's held them back in the 21st Century.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Oldschool wrote:Just finished watching the first half of Wales v Australia and the one thing I would really like to see a big improvement in, is Ireland's passing skills.
Yes- of course. This is like that old Bill Clinton campaign rubric- “it’s the economy stupid!” Change ‘passing’ for ‘economy’ and you have the single greatest influence on the performance of all rugby teams. But it’s amazing how neglected that basic skill is in both selection and criticism.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

artaneboy wrote:
Yes- of course. This is like that old Bill Clinton campaign rubric- “it’s the economy stupid!” Change ‘passing’ for ‘economy’ and you have the single greatest influence on the performance of all rugby teams. But it’s amazing how neglected that basic skill is in both selection and criticism.

Very appropriate reference. Slick Willie Slick Passing.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

artaneboy wrote:

Definitely not a neglected skill in the Camp's of Joe S. There is no topic that attracts more comment in after-match analysis. Passes that hit shoulders and make players break stride get particular attention and there were several on Saturday.

However, significant difference between W v Aus and our game was wet pitch and wet ball.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
artaneboy wrote:

Definitely not a neglected skill in the Camp's of Joe S. There is no topic that attracts more comment in after-match analysis. Passes that hit shoulders and make players break stride get particular attention and there were several on Saturday.

However, significant difference between W v Aus and our game was wet pitch and wet ball.
He just wants to talk about Luke McG
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

D Day today
Anyone heard any rumours as to the likely selection?
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Ruddock to captain the team.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

blockhead wrote:Ruddock to captain the team.
So POM getting a badly needed rest and no bloodletting.
JS is not only a great coach he's a cute hoor too.
In Joe we trust.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

It p*sses me off no end the criticism about Bent. Firstly Bealham is in Australia for 2 weeks on a family matter so he can't make it. Other people have covered HerSt's and Ah You's strengths and weaknesses but with both showing inconsistency and Bents showing serious consistent form over the last few seasons I am absolutely delighted he is getting a second bite at the cherry. I really hope he gets some gametime.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

blockhead wrote:Ruddock to captain the team.
Does that mean Ruddock has captained the team more than POM?
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Rumoured Team

McGrath
Herring
Porter
Dillane
Toner
Ruddock
Murphy
Conan
Marmion
Carberry
D Kearney
McCloskey
Farrell
Sweetnam
Conway
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

paddyor wrote:Rumoured Team

McGrath
Herring
Porter
Dillane
Toner
Ruddock
Murphy
Conan
Marmion
Carberry
D Kearney
McCloskey
Farrell
Sweetnam
Conway
Farrell?? :cry:
Dont Panic!
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Why not? He has the potential and is being given a shot. He hasn't clicked fully for Munster but it's just a matter of time.
Last edited by sunshiner1 on November 16th, 2017, 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

I know what McCloskey and Farrell bring to the team, I'm just a bit lost as to what they add as a combo.
At least the ball will make it to 13.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan