Front row looks inexperienced or provokable and ill disciplined

3/4 line not looking very scary either

BRING THEM ON
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Re: 6 Nations 2018 - Other teams

Post by CiaranIrl »

simonokeeffe wrote:Front row looks inexperienced or provokable and ill disciplined

BRING THEM ON
I think we have a great chance of winning our first 4 games. France away is winnable, and we should be able to win our home games. Our chances against England depends entirely on how each of us fare from an injury point of view. We need to keep (i) Furlong fit, (ii) keep two of our three main second rows fit, (iii) get O'Brien on the field in time, (iv) keep Sexton & Murray fit, and (v) Keep Henshaw fit. If any of those falter, our chances against England in Twickenham dwindle pretty quickly. We probably have enough depth elsewhere to handle an injury or two.

But by God do I love the 6 Nations. I can't wait for it to start.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

CiaranIrl wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:Front row looks inexperienced or provokable and ill disciplined

BRING THEM ON
I think we have a great chance of winning our first 4 games. France away is winnable, and we should be able to win our home games. Our chances against England depends entirely on how each of us fare from an injury point of view. We need to keep (i) Furlong fit, (ii) keep two of our three main second rows fit, (iii) get O'Brien on the field in time, (iv) keep Sexton & Murray fit, and (v) Keep Henshaw fit. If any of those falter, our chances against England in Twickenham dwindle pretty quickly. We probably have enough depth elsewhere to handle an injury or two.

But by God do I love the 6 Nations. I can't wait for it to start.
Would agree on most of the key men

Equally, England are banjoed without Watson, Farrell, M Vunipola, Robshaw, and arguably Te'o.
Billy V a huge loss for them already
Experimental
Knowledgeable

Post by Experimental »

Id be of the mind that only Owen Farrell and the Vunipolas are key for England to keep fit, everyone else in that team is expendable, such is their depth. Billy is their best player, I dont care what the magazines say about Farrell. He is a huge loss for them, don't be surprised to see him back for the Ireland game tho.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Experimental wrote:Id be of the mind that only Owen Farrell and the Vunipolas are key for England to keep fit, everyone else in that team is expendable, such is their depth. Billy is their best player, I dont care what the magazines say about Farrell. He is a huge loss for them, don't be surprised to see him back for the Ireland game tho.
The loss of Sexton and Furlong would be our two most significant losses.
B. Vunipola may well be on the wane (even at 25) because of so much injury and the type of power game he plays.
Saracens have been only ok when Itoje and BV have been absent.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Experimental wrote:Id be of the mind that only Owen Farrell and the Vunipolas are key for England to keep fit, everyone else in that team is expendable, such is their depth. Billy is their best player, I dont care what the magazines say about Farrell. He is a huge loss for them, don't be surprised to see him back for the Ireland game tho.
Way I see it is theyve lost a lot in the backrow especially in terms of experience, theyve struggled for 12s for ages, Ford isnt a great kicker or defender, and Watson only scary dangerman in back 3
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Solomona is pretty scary in attack and May has unbelievable pace. I do agree that overall our squad looks stronger though.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

neiliog93 wrote:Solomona is pretty scary in attack and May has unbelievable pace. I do agree that overall our squad looks stronger though.
May is also about as reliable as an Easons paper bag in the rain

Would love Solomona to play just so the Grobbler posse can have a go at the Brits, hopefully to the same extent
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Rhys Priestland could miss the entire 6N
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Typical France. Leave out some of there best players and throw in a load of new players. They never give the team time to blend in. Leaving out Picamoles doesn't make sense to me. Ireland should be looking to win and win well in the first game. Thats if Ireland look to attack space instead of running straight into the French. Then we're playing into their hands.. again!

England and Wales will be interesting to watch. For England you'd wonder if the Eddie Jones effect is wearing off. I agree that Billy Vunipola is a huge loss. You get the feeling they've one eye on the world cup already but they're still the team to beat in the 6 nations.

Wales are changing their style of play. It'll be very interesting to see what type of team Gatland picks. In the past he always went with size and power. Now, they don't have that advantage anymore so will he go with the best attacking players or still pick the biggest, strongest and try to get them to play the more expansive gameplan. Wales coming in a bit under the radar this year.

kermischocolate wrote: Glasgow have none left standing to give to Scotland!

Our injury list is horrendous. I know it's all part of the game but seems to be much more than usual this year (or is it just more high profile players getting injured so it's noticed more?). Be interesting to know if our much vaunted change in strength and conditioning plays a part.

When I heard Glasgow were getting an artificial pitch, I wondered about injuries.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

blockhead wrote:Rhys Priestland could miss the entire 6N
think he had f all chance of playing though

Wales playing Scotland next Autumn btw, benefit for MND
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by enby »

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/ ... ix-nations

Coming from the perspective of years of Joe's "whatever you say, say nothing" method, some of the quotes ( especially in relation to Boyce and Sinckler) from Jones seem incredible. In fairness to him his record does give him the space for such an unorthodox and unconventional approach. However I can't help wondering if he is sowing some seeds of squad dissension with such remarks. You can bet that if things were to go wrong for England, the ever kind press will use them to savage him
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

enby wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/ ... ix-nations

Coming from the perspective of years of Joe's "whatever you say, say nothing" method, some of the quotes ( especially in relation to Boyce and Sinckler) from Jones seem incredible. In fairness to him his record does give him the space for such an unorthodox and unconventional approach. However I can't help wondering if he is sowing some seeds of squad dissension with such remarks. You can bet that if things were to go wrong for England, the ever kind press will use them to savage him
Win win for Jones.
He's leaving no stone unturned to prepare his team.
And press can't claim he should have done what he's doing and didn't.
Don't think Jones thinks like that or gives a hoot either.
He's a cocky Aussie and wouldn't take too much heed of the POM press.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Dan Biggar looked in a bad way leaving the field yesterday with his arm in a makeshift sling.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Laighin Break wrote:Dan Biggar looked in a bad way leaving the field yesterday with his arm in a makeshift sling.
Wales are proper fupped without him
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

Priestland injured too I think. One of Patchell, Anscombe, or Sam Davies to start? Possible that Owen Williams could get a call too.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

jimbobjoe wrote:Priestland injured too I think. One of Patchell, Anscombe, or Sam Davies to start? Possible that Owen Williams could get a call too.
Gatty has never seemed to have the love for OW even though hes probably the most experienced of the 3. My guess is he'd pick Anscombe to start
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Patchell to start surely? Or might they bring in Dan Jones from Scarlets?
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Start the Scarlets Buoys against Scots. Base the team around Scarlets half-backs and mid-field and add their front-row. Ospreys in the row and Cardiff - Scarlets back-row. Add in North and Liam Williams and top with 1/2p
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Wales could be in a weird situation like with SA and the Lions (Transvaal); they know they need to expand their gameplan and their form team by some distance plays an expansive game but the national coaches are not known for it at all

Not sure theyve the requisite ball skills in the forwards (that will be picked) either. Their midfield will be interesting too