Ireland Vs Italy, Lansdowne Road, Saturday 10th Feb @14:15

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Ireland Vs Italy, Lansdowne Road, Saturday 10th Feb @14:

Post by dropkick »

You can see that Italy are starting to do things the right way. Cutting them now would be stupid.

Italy is a massive potential market for the 6 nations and pro14 rugby. They just need to become somewhat competitive and it looks like they're on the right track although patience is needed as it's slow progress.

It's grand for people calling for Georgia but that would cost each union millions because the pot would have to be split 7 ways instead of 6 ways.

I think a European championship style event is the way to go. Hold it once every 4 years during the lions tour. It can be moved if it grows into something big. The Nigels would be a problem but the pro14 could reduce its season.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

ronk wrote:
It would mean one team sitting around while everyone plays, even on the dramatic last weekend.
Worked fine for about 100 years when it was five teams and one had a weekend off.

I like the idea of a euro champs cup made up of A sides from six nations sides playing against the euro champs teams basically a Tiblisi cup plus style idea
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Bring in both Georgia and Romania and drop the gap week. Seven doesn't work. Travel distance to Georgia a problem. Both Georgia and Romania would improve dramatically with competition. Scotland would object. Both countries need to have a Club team in Pro14 / 16 Conferences.

Random thoughts on the problems and potential but ultimately the only thing that will change it is MONEY. If either (or both) could add €25m to the pot, they would be in tomorrow.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

TerenureJim wrote:
ronk wrote:
It would mean one team sitting around while everyone plays, even on the dramatic last weekend.
Worked fine for about 100 years when it was five teams and one had a weekend off.

I like the idea of a euro champs cup made up of A sides from six nations sides playing against the euro champs teams basically a Tiblisi cup plus style idea
And we managed fine without bonus points
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Post by Fan with smartphone »

This probably deserves its own thread, but, scrap the lions. Biannual World Cup. It’s only 4 yearly because that’s what everybody else does - soccer, Olympics etc. But soccer has a major championship every 2 years (minimum), ditto athletics and rugby careers are so influenced by injury that 4 years seems a long wait. The build up to it lasts 3.5 years anyway, why not less build up, more competing? More countries could get a shot at hosting it - there is a will to do so given South Africa and France already want it back. It’s also more opportunity to expand to emerging markets and it’d make more money for the unions. I don’t think it’d lead to apathy by supporters or devalue it, but maybe those arguments could be made.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Fan with smartphone wrote:This probably deserves its own thread, but, scrap the lions. Biannual World Cup. It’s only 4 yearly because that’s what everybody else does - soccer, Olympics etc. But soccer has a major championship every 2 years (minimum), ditto athletics and rugby careers are so influenced by injury that 4 years seems a long wait. The build up to it lasts 3.5 years anyway, why not less build up, more competing? More countries could get a shot at hosting it - there is a will to do so given South Africa and France already want it back. It’s also more opportunity to expand to emerging markets and it’d make more money for the unions. I don’t think it’d lead to apathy by supporters or devalue it, but maybe those arguments could be made.
Because rugby already has a European Championship. Every year. And that's the one driving revenues. If it was a sideshow every second year and a warmup act every other year it would be counterproductive.
If the World Cup were massively more lucrative than the six nations then talks could happen.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

hugonaut wrote:There's no way to say this without sounding completely dismissive, so I'll just say it – you're wrong.
Well when you put it like that, what can i say :)
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Fan with smartphone wrote:This probably deserves its own thread, but, scrap the lions. Biannual World Cup. It’s only 4 yearly because that’s what everybody else does - soccer, Olympics etc. But soccer has a major championship every 2 years (minimum), ditto athletics and rugby careers are so influenced by injury that 4 years seems a long wait. The build up to it lasts 3.5 years anyway, why not less build up, more competing? More countries could get a shot at hosting it - there is a will to do so given South Africa and France already want it back. It’s also more opportunity to expand to emerging markets and it’d make more money for the unions. I don’t think it’d lead to apathy by supporters or devalue it, but maybe those arguments could be made.
4 years is a good gap for an event that needs so much planning to happen in one spot. It wouldn’t be anything like the same size/impact event if it was every 2 years.

The Lions has a bigger support base than an extra RWC ever would.