Ireland v Wales 2018 6Ns

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Ireland v Wales 2018 6Ns

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Wales do look strong and will be boosted by those guys returning, but I think people are forgetting how good we are too.

Ordinarily I don't think that announcing a team early in the week matters much, but I'm surprised Wales have done so now because the three changes in their back line really transforms how they can both attack and defend. The kicking battle is transformed now. I have a slight hope that the changes might mean that Wales are fixated with our kicking game and might overdo it when covering the back field.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

johng wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:
johng wrote:

I am a huge fan of Tipuric too.
They would be the 2 good players on the bench for me. The rest.... Meh. Gatty will have them well up for it though. We could easily lose this.

And I just got a present of 2 tickets... Yaaaay
Lucky b$&%@#d!!! Very jealous! Enjoy!
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Wales do look strong and will be boosted by those guys returning, but I think people are forgetting how good we are too.

Ordinarily I don't think that announcing a team early in the week matters much, but I'm surprised Wales have done so now because the three changes in their back line really transforms how they can both attack and defend. The kicking battle is transformed now. I have a slight hope that the changes might mean that Wales are fixated with our kicking game and might overdo it when covering the back field.
They are very good and as you say, so are we. It should be a cracker of a game! On balance I think we'll win but it will be close and I'd be a lot happier if we had Henshaw or Payne in the center.....
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Tadhg Furlong still not training fully so one must assume he cant/wont start
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Wales do look strong and will be boosted by those guys returning, but I think people are forgetting how good we are too.

He's always done this. Don't be surprised if there's a late change for Biggar.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I know but usually the team is more predictable, there were big questions marks over Biggar and Williams though, think Halfpenny was expected.
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

paddyor wrote:

He's always done this. Don't be surprised if there's a late change for Biggar.
you know I was thinking exactly the same thing; we plan for Biggar.. he gets a 'knock' on the Captains run and Patchell or Anscombe start. Of course it goes without saying we have to concentrate on our game and how we're going to play but....
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

The key player is the Scarlets scrum half who has a wind-up pass which isn't fast through the air. He is an excellent runner - probably better than Conor Murray - but he is vulnerable to one-on-one pressure and there's no doubt Easterbunny will have spotted it and planned for it. NZ always consider that one weakness is all you need to expose at International level. Gareth Davies is the man to target.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

I would be really surprised if both Dan Biggar and Liam Williams are fully fit to start this game. It complicates the situation for Ireland a little. I would imagine they expected both to be named but have contingency plans in place in case one or both dropped out. The thing is, Wales know this is their season. Win this, and they'll probably feel the Championship is there even though they are relying on others (Scotland or Ireland to beat England). Gatland probably feels a risk or two is needed and had Wales been hosting Scotland, Italy or France, for example, maybe he wouldn't have named this team.

I can't see those bookie odds at all. For me, heart says Ireland, head says Wales if the two lads are fully fit. I just don't know where our tries are going to come from. I know some posters like to trot our stats in November internationals, but they mean little here. We don't score often enough against France, England and Wales. If Wales score 2 tries in this game, with 1/2P kicking, they'll win this game. I really can't see Ireland scoring more than 20 points. They were a converted try from beating England.

Even if Furlong doesn't make it, I still think we have a better 1-10 than Wales. Not by much, but our team is a little stronger. 11-15 is all Wales for me. I know Earls is in great form, Stockdale has unbelievable potential and Murray Kinsella wrote a piece about Rob Kearney, but overall, that's where we're weakest. We'll probably spend 80 mins trying to pound Aki over the gainline without freeing the wingers much.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Furlong set to miss Wales clash as Porter and Ryan ready to start

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 26389.html
Tadhg Furlong appears to have lost his race to be fit for Ireland's pivotal clash with Wales on Saturday with Andrew Porter set to get his first Six Nations start in the pivotal fixture.
James Ryan is set to start having recovered from his hip injury and a decision on Iain Henderson's involvement will be taken tonight after his training was also limited by a hamstring issue.
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

suisse wrote:Furlong set to miss Wales clash as Porter and Ryan ready to start

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 26389.html
Tadhg Furlong appears to have lost his race to be fit for Ireland's pivotal clash with Wales on Saturday with Andrew Porter set to get his first Six Nations start in the pivotal fixture.
James Ryan is set to start having recovered from his hip injury and a decision on Iain Henderson's involvement will be taken tonight after his training was also limited by a hamstring issue.
I think the fascinating thing about this is Porter's elevation at so young an age and so early in his career. Something else really.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

I think it's fascinating that ROC is getting the inside scoop after all the recent tension.

I can't imagine the IRFU left this under his door ha
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

What inside scoop? Its literally stuff that was said in public to the media by the coaching staff!
I have Bumbleflex
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

Dave Cahill wrote:What inside scoop? Its literally stuff that was said in public to the media by the coaching staff!
About Furlong not playing? No one else ran with it
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:What inside scoop? Its literally stuff that was said in public to the media by the coaching staff!
About Furlong not playing? No one else ran with it
Farrell said at the injury update press conference on Tuesday who had and hadnt trained fully. Sure even I ran with it :)
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

The fake match is in full swing.
Wales like being favourites.
Ireland like being underdogs.
Currently Wales are the underdogs.
Currently Ireland are the favourites.
Both coaches are trying to jockey the favourites tag in their favour.
They face a dichotomy however.
Shift the balance too much and the result could be counterproductive.
So neither want the favourites tag but both want to appear to be confident.
Gatland's naming his team early (not for the first time) is a statement of confidence. "I don't fear this Ireland team"
Joe on the other is trying to manage public expectation while not undermining his teams confidence. "I respect this Wales team"
They are both being very careful to give away no hostages to fortune.
Cam Gattie generate enough bitterness from the "try" not given against England
Can Joe prevent Wales' angst from moving Ireland out of their comfort zone?
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

suisse wrote:I would be really surprised if both Dan Biggar and Liam Williams are fully fit to start this game. It complicates the situation for Ireland a little. I would imagine they expected both to be named but have contingency plans in place in case one or both dropped out. The thing is, Wales know this is their season. Win this, and they'll probably feel the Championship is there even though they are relying on others (Scotland or Ireland to beat England). Gatland probably feels a risk or two is needed and had Wales been hosting Scotland, Italy or France, for example, maybe he wouldn't have named this team.

I can't see those bookie odds at all. For me, heart says Ireland, head says Wales if the two lads are fully fit. I just don't know where our tries are going to come from. I know some posters like to trot our stats in November internationals, but they mean little here. We don't score often enough against France, England and Wales. If Wales score 2 tries in this game, with 1/2P kicking, they'll win this game. I really can't see Ireland scoring more than 20 points. They were a converted try from beating England.

Even if Furlong doesn't make it, I still think we have a better 1-10 than Wales. Not by much, but our team is a little stronger. 11-15 is all Wales for me. I know Earls is in great form, Stockdale has unbelievable potential and Murray Kinsella wrote a piece about Rob Kearney, but overall, that's where we're weakest. We'll probably spend 80 mins trying to pound Aki over the gainline without freeing the wingers much.
Fair points. Williams looked sharp against sale last friday for saracens. Like you my head says wales but heart says ireland win with BP. My arse says draw, though. Especially if its raining.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

MylesNaGapoleen wrote:
suisse wrote:I would be really surprised if both Dan Biggar and Liam Williams are fully fit to start this game. It complicates the situation for Ireland a little. I would imagine they expected both to be named but have contingency plans in place in case one or both dropped out. The thing is, Wales know this is their season. Win this, and they'll probably feel the Championship is there even though they are relying on others (Scotland or Ireland to beat England). Gatland probably feels a risk or two is needed and had Wales been hosting Scotland, Italy or France, for example, maybe he wouldn't have named this team.

Fair points. Williams looked sharp against sale last friday for saracens. Like you my head says wales but heart says ireland win with BP. My arse says draw, though. Especially if its raining.
My head says we're good enough to beat Wales however there are a few buts.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

We looked so vulnerable out wide in both games so far which was a continuation of the Argentina game, and so uncreative against France (though I think we were a lot better than them). Take away Henshaw and Furlong. Add Williams, Halfpenny and Biggar - I see no reason for confidence

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I’m absolutely fascinated to see whether our attacking structure from Italy stays or whether we revert to a more base level game as seen against France in the rain. Hopefully the former, as the latter will be playing into Wales’ and Gatland’s hands. Against Italy, we used the second row and backrow to pass way more than in the first game. We’ll need that bit of extra to open up Wales. We should’ve learned from Cardiff last year in particular.