Ireland v Wales 2018 6Ns

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

paddyor
Shane Jennings

Re: Ireland v Wales 2018 6Ns

Post by paddyor »

I dunno, Williams has gotten noticeably slower the past few months. Springing Ringer from the bench to have a cut at him must be tempting. Can cover wing as well.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Faletau hasnt played a game in 10 weeks so would be a major gamble to start him, even risky to have him on the bench. Biggar hasnt played for a month but Halfpenny being back means he can cover placekicking so less of a need to rush Biggar

Now that I think of it theres some Gatty mind games going on here
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Oldschool wrote: +1.
Joe Schmidt is a better coach than Gatland but Gattie is a better motivator than Joe.
Wales nearly always make the sum of the parts greater than the whole.
Ireland rarely manage to do the same.

In fairness to Schmidt he's not the first Irish coach to have this problem but it's still a huge issue.
We only seem to be able to manage it when we are underdogs.

I agree but doesn't that show that Gatland is better?
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Very hard to argue that Gatland isn't a great coach, he's more successful than any other Coach in the championship after all. I'm not sure I'd agree about Wales always being more than the sum of there parts. I think Irish fans tend to underestimate how good the Welsh players are largely owing to their regions performance in the Pro14.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

The timing of Gatland's reign is a factor in the debate shall we say
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

simonokeeffe wrote:The timing of Gatland's reign is a factor in the debate shall we say
Now looks like the most experienced Tier 1 International Coach ever having passed Henry (in number of games he has coached at international level). Given that he won a couple of GS and two 6N Championships plus European Cup and Ranfurly Shield, "timing" of his reign seems a side issue.

We may not all love him but I would have swopped him for some of Ireland's coaches since he left us.
RAILWAY1
Learner

Post by RAILWAY1 »

If Joe Schmidt is looking at the bigger picture he would release Ringrose to Leinster for the weekend to get some much needed match practice for the business end of the six nations. A match fit Ringrose could be a serious weapon against Scotland and especially England but not match fit he could get badly injured against Wales.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:The timing of Gatland's reign is a factor in the debate shall we say
Now looks like the most experienced Tier 1 International Coach ever having passed Henry (in number of games he has coached at international level). Given that he won a couple of GS and two 6N Championships plus European Cup and Ranfurly Shield, "timing" of his reign seems a side issue.

We may not all love him but I would have swopped him for some of Ireland's coaches since he left us.
Im not saying I wouldnt let him coach the half time minis

Was trying to find the most neutral way of saying his reign overlapped with a lot of weak coaching opposition until 2 or 3 years ago but sure he can only play whats in front of him
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

suisse wrote:Very, very worried about this. I think it is bad enough with Gatland and Wales' motivation coming into Ireland tests, but their defensive system seems to have figured us out in recent year. In both of the last 2 Cardiff games, I've seen Ireland pummel away relentlessly but fail to cross the whitewash (excluding try). I don't think we know how to break Wales down or I think Wales find us very predictable.

Last 4 competitive fixtures.

Wales 22-9 Ireland. Wales 3 tries to 0.
Ireland 16-16 Wales. 1 try each.
Wales 23-16 Ireland. 1 try each, Ireland's a penalty try. This guy was maddening.
Ireland 23-6 Wales. 2 tries to 0.

I hope we take every opportunity possible. Even if that means we kick penalty after penalty and drop goals. Wales concede a lot of penalties to Ireland in kick-able positions. As good as Sexton's DG was v France, we know he can do it. It would be nice if he did so more often, and not on a penalty advantage. The DG is still worth 3 points. It is a valuable weapon.
This, this and more this. Gatland also knows our 8, 9 & 10 axis inside out from the Lions. Everything we do goes through them. Apparently Furlong isn't training and is unlikely to make it as well.

The 10 point favourites is ludicrous. I have a bad feeling about this one for sure.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

dropkick wrote:
Oldschool wrote: +1.
Joe Schmidt is a better coach than Gatland but Gattie is a better motivator than Joe.
Wales nearly always make the sum of the parts greater than the whole.
Ireland rarely manage to do the same.

In fairness to Schmidt he's not the first Irish coach to have this problem but it's still a huge issue.
We only seem to be able to manage it when we are underdogs.

I agree but doesn't that show that Gatland is better?
JS and WG are my two favourite coaches
I'd say case not proven simply because we never really got to see if he could do for Ireland what he did for Wales.
Having said that the early indications were that he might well have done.
If I had to call it then Gattie.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

The emotional tide is turning with all the hype over Gatty - both here and on the other island. More and more commentators echoing what's being said here, that the Welsh Squad have quality and experience and have been our most difficult opponent for a decade

They're in a bubble this week, all of them in both teams, but they read the tealeaves from those they come into contact with, hotel staff, media, sponsors and lookers-on, and they get the sense that favouratism has waned. This is a real two-horse race and they remember had often Gatty has delivered.

But that's the best possible emotional condition for this Squad and its leaders. The entire group are confident in Joe and his coaches, who are all big boys in their own right. This is a challenge Ireland realish. They know each individual opponent and they can hardly wait to get to Saturday and show how they will better that opponent in front of our home crowd.

Respect for each member of that Welsh Squad, yes. But definitely over-written by the opportunity to get one back on them this year.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Biggar, Liam Williams, and Halfpenny all starting for Wales. North on the bench, no Faletau.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Biggar, Liam Williams, and Halfpenny all starting for Wales. North on the bench, no Faletau.
Biggar could be a good thing for us. Hes been out for 5 weeks and hes Johnny Gatlandball which is less of a threat than Scarletsball
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Ruckedtobits wrote:

It was actually 3 Championships and of course he won the Premiership with the worst team in the league when he took over - and he's undefeated as a Lions coach. As you say, his style is not to everyone's liking but the decision to get rid of him and replace him with O'Sullivan' and guy Eddie couldn't work with (Kidney) clearly didn't work out for Ireland and it clearly worked out for Gatland.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Pretty decent line up. That bench is a bit scary too....

WALES (v Ireland): Leigh Halfpenny (Scarlets); Liam Williams (Saracens), Scott Williams (Scarlets), Hadleigh Parkes (Scarlets), Steff Evans (Scarlets); Dan Biggar (Ospreys), Gareth Davies (Scarlets); Rob Evans (Scarlets), Ken Owens (Scarlets), Samson Lee (Scarlets), Cory Hill (Dragons), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys capt), Aaron Shingler (Scarlets), Josh Navidi (Cardiff Blues), Ross Moriarty (Gloucester).

Replacements: Elliot Dee (Dragons), Wyn Jones (Scarlets), Thomas Francis (Exeter Chiefs), Bradley Davies (Ospreys), Justin Tipuric (Ospreys), Aled Davies (Scarlets), Gareth Anscombe (Blues), George North (Northampton).
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Flash Gordon wrote:Pretty decent line up. That bench is a bit scary too....
Was going to say not much on that bench but I could regret that if North comes on and scores a hat trick.

They look very kickey hoofey with that back three though. North the odd one out as he's muck under the high ball
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

I'm actually surprised Patchell drops out of the 23; Ok he wasn't great in Twickenham but that can't do a lot for his confidence. Would have thought he brings a bit of xfactor/Scaletsball to the party; more so than Anscombe. Gatty did single out Anscombe if I recall in his post match interview (apart from that.. try)
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

johng wrote:
Was going to say not much on that bench but I could regret that if North comes on and scores a hat trick.

They look very kickey hoofey with that back three though. North the odd one out as he's muck under the high ball
I am a huge fan of Tipuric too.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

johng wrote:

Maybe it was his dip in form but last year 1/2p was attrocious under the high ball we just never made them pay. Biggar makes a huge difference.
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Flash Gordon wrote:
johng wrote:

I am a huge fan of Tipuric too.
They would be the 2 good players on the bench for me. The rest.... Meh. Gatty will have them well up for it though. We could easily lose this.

And I just got a present of 2 tickets... Yaaaay