Ireland vs Scotland 2018 6N

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

desperado
Mullet

Re: Ireland vs Scotland 2018 6N

Post by desperado »

As far as I know Carberrys Dad was born in Ireland but his family emigrated to NZ when he was very young.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Anyway back to the match..... I'm hoping that Barnes doesn't let the Scots away with murder at the breakdown, if he does we're in a real scrap if he doesn't and we play our possession game I think we'll win.

Interestingly BBC on the rugby union weekly pod, great listen Ugo is quality, had a Scottish ex player commentator (name escapes me) still shiteing on about how Ireland kick more than anyone. Except we don't, I'd say stuff like that infuriates Joe, in that quiet way, and a the team of a furious Joe is a sight to behold.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Hopefully Townsend’s analysis is similarly out of date

Couple of hours to go OH GOD MY NERVES

Was there anything to the rumours about Sexton and Murray? Are they at risk of having to come off early?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Depending on how the match goes I would take off Sexton on 60 to see how Carberry closes out the game, but it's only if and a big IF it's not a tight game. I think you can change one of Sexton or Murray not both, we'd be mad to switch both half backs unless we had Luke McGrath there given he and Carberry would have more training tine together from provincial duties but unfortunately we don't.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Wet morning but not too bad now.

For all the talk of our 'attacking style', I think and I hope we'll attempt to blow them away up front first and foremost.
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

Why can't earls learn basic ball handling skills. Ffs.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Thank God for Stockdale. Sexton seems to be mixing the sublime and the stupid.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Thought Scotland looked the better team for most of that half.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Welcome back Gary. We missed you.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

wixfjord wrote:Welcome back Gary. We missed you.
.......And he's injuried again :(

Feck and balls! Fingers crossed it's not as bad as it looks
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

LeinsterLeader wrote:

He was walking around all right at the end. Hopefully just cramp.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

CiaranIrl wrote:
LeinsterLeader wrote:

He was walking around all right at the end. Hopefully just cramp.
Yes, yes CI....... say more things like this :)
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Halfbacks especially Murray didnt seem fully fit

Think thats the first time let alone in an international Ive seen a team have a clear ploy of targeting/provoking Healy
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

simonokeeffe wrote:Halfbacks especially Murray didnt seem fully fit

Think thats the first time let alone in an international Ive seen a team have a clear ploy of targeting/provoking Healy
I think Townsend has a nasty dtreak.
Murray and the standing leg was the target in last year's game.
He'll get a reputation for himself and his team with that sort of approach.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Anyone else think Murphy would be a good shout to start next week given the Scottish and French success with 3 flankers against Englands 3 locks.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

MFans in a state of confusion after Quinnie gives MOTM to Kearney.
What did Simon ever do to him?
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

blockhead wrote:MFans in a state of confusion after Quinnie gives MOTM to Kearney.
What did Simon ever do to him?
The bile directed at Kearney has really ramped up during this tournament. It's pathetic how they carry on on Munster fans especially. I guess it's a combination of 1. Lack of dilution due to Heaslip's retirement, and 2. the perceived slight on Zebo.

Four 6N medals make their bullshit pretty irrelevant though.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
RAILWAY1
Learner

Post by RAILWAY1 »

Kearney had his best game in a long time but I think the MOTM should have gone to one of Leavy , James Ryan or CJ for the insane amount of work they did disrupting Scottish possession , with Leavy possibly shading it.
Lets save up the bile for the week and serve it all up to England in Twickenham next week and we can go back to attacking each other after the job is done
COYBIB
Enlightened

Post by COYBIB »

Timbit wrote:
RAILWAY1 wrote:Kearney had his best game in a long time but I think the MOTM should have gone to one of Leavy , James Ryan or CJ for the insane amount of work they did disrupting Scottish possession , with Leavy possibly shading it.
Lets save up the bile for the week and serve it all up to England in Twickenham next week and we can go back to attacking each other after the job is done
Leavy for me. Thought he was just everywhere.
I thought Earls was fantastic, he's really in the peak of his career at the moment. Poor Zebo may be feeling extra shitty to be left out given he's now missed out on a championship and potentially grand slam, all the while the lad who's stepped in to replace him is the new wonder kid of Irish rugby. That's got to sting a little bit.
jezzer wrote:He will never be the second coming of BOD, because the only thing their game shares is probably the appetite for work around the pitch. He'll hopefully be the first coming of Ringrose.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

That performance today was very clinical. Great analysis from Coaching and Technical staff and very good execution in the Green Zone by players.

Broadly it looked like we carried and cleared, in pods, to drive their defensive line backwards to their Red Zone. When we got into the Green Zone, we had quite specific targets in their defensive systems as to where we could score.

In the first half our drives where like a series of NFL running carries i.e. we wanted yards with quality presentation, not so much urgency with quick ball. In the second half we had at least four multi-phase attacks where we increased the speed of delivery to Murray, worked open-side and blind-side, sometimes alternatively, and really tested their defensive line. We didn't score off any of them but we certainly left the Scottish defence in no doubt that it was only our own fumbles, or extraordinary turnovers by them, that would stop us from scoring.

J10 mixed some great handling and hard running, with some inane kicking which surprised me and many close at hand. Murray never tried to have a cut, until he was almost certain to score through upper-body strength. For the first 15 minutes, Earls was produced as a line-breaker in a wide variety of ways. In the second half, apart from one very clever late run off a scrum, we hardly used him, despite long period of possession.

A great win and the Championship is a wonderful acheivement, but it feels a fairly sterile way to get across the line.

As for Eddie's Mighty Men, they looked a slightly busted flush this evening and that definitely includes their Saracens. They certainly appear to have emptied their well of desire.