England v 6 Nations Champions 2018 Twickenham March 17

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Re: England v 6 Nations Champions 2018 Twickenham March 17

Postby Logorrhea » March 15th, 2018, 4:33 pm

About three weeks ago England were number 2 team in the world and expected to win the championship, well in my eyes at least. They haven't suddenly become terrible.

This looks like a better team than the one they put out for the last two rounds.

A win in twickers will be seriously difficult.
User avatar
Logorrhea
Brian O'Driscoll
 
Posts: 4099
Joined: October 2nd, 2007, 1:20 pm
Location: D24

Re: England v 6 Nations Champions 2018 Twickenham March 17

Postby LeRouxIsPHat » March 15th, 2018, 4:52 pm

When you look at that English backline, Farrell is the only one capable of actually bringing any of the other backs into play. Don't get me wrong, they're all very good individually (although some are struggling for form), but looking at that team sheet makes me think they'll all just be looking inside to Farrell the whole time to tell them what they should be doing. Slade has been a disappointment at international level, but if they had him at 13 I'd be far more worried about the decision making and creativity they have in the team.

Now Farrell is one of the best players in the world and is capable of running the show, but the balance just looks off to me. When I think of Farrell's best games at ten for England, it was when they were much stronger up front than they are at this moment in time, and he benefits hugely from having Goode at Saracens.

The back row is the same, no big carrier and no breakdown specialist, and that's behind an out of sorts second row combination. The back row isn't really going to do much for their lineout either.

When I first saw their team I thought they had made some necessary changes and do still expect there to be more of a spark about them, but there's no doubt in my mind that there are issues with that selection. I'm guessing they'll target us in the air and would back them to win that battle if they do, but even that seems a strange tactic when you consider where other teams have got so much joy out of us over the last 4 games.
User avatar
LeRouxIsPHat
Shane Horgan
 
Posts: 12103
Joined: January 22nd, 2009, 8:49 pm

Re: England v 6 Nations Champions 2018 Twickenham March 17

Postby LeRouxIsPHat » March 15th, 2018, 5:41 pm

The TJ has been removed and is replaced by Owens...what a shambles.
User avatar
LeRouxIsPHat
Shane Horgan
 
Posts: 12103
Joined: January 22nd, 2009, 8:49 pm

Re: England v 6 Nations Champions 2018 Twickenham March 17

Postby simonokeeffe » March 15th, 2018, 6:14 pm

Dave Cahill wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:He is that level of evil Xan

I think most of those changes suit us. Theyre more one dimensional in midfield (and 9) plus Sinkler is a proven hot head


They have a far better balance to their back row now, Farrell is the only outhalf in the NH close to Sextons level and wigglesworth is the best scrum half in England. This team is considerably better than they've put out in this competition this season.

One change for Ireland, Ryan in for Toner


Backrow is arguably more balanced but Robshaw is in garbage form (as is Itoje) and Haskell is still Haskell
Last time Sinckler played an Irish team he tried to lose the fixture all by himself
Combine Haskell with Sinckler and probably Launchbury and of course Hartley then half the pack is prone to meltdowns in big fixtures

Their scrum is weaker now too. Not that we demolish many teams but we probably have our strongest available scrummaging front 5
Their lack of a second distributor of any kind in 3/4 line makes it harder to attack us out wide where we are weakest in defence

If we let them score early points and take a big half time lead I'd be very worried. We get on top MENTALLY early on and we are in the driving seat
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
User avatar
simonokeeffe
Leo Cullen
 
Posts: 16777
Joined: July 21st, 2011, 3:04 am
Location: Dublin

Re: England v 6 Nations Champions 2018 Twickenham March 17

Postby paddyor » March 15th, 2018, 7:04 pm

simonokeeffe wrote:Backrow is arguably more balanced but Robshaw is in garbage form (as is Itoje) and Haskell is still Haskell
Last time Sinckler played an Irish team he tried to lose the fixture all by himself
Combine Haskell with Sinckler and probably Launchbury and of course Hartley then half the pack is prone to meltdowns in big fixtures

Their scrum is weaker now too. Not that we demolish many teams but we probably have our strongest available scrummaging front 5
Their lack of a second distributor of any kind in 3/4 line makes it harder to attack us out wide where we are weakest in defence

If we let them score early points and take a big half time lead I'd be very worried. We get on top MENTALLY early on and we are in the driving seat

Kruis is apparently the strongest scrummaging lock according to Jones and even if Sinckler is a suspect there I don't us getting much change out of it primarily because of the way it's reffed now. The 4 additions to the pack should freshen things up in the pack which has looked a bit knackered.

The 10-12-13 combo will be much better defensively given Farrells difficulty at 12 the past few months. They're probably right to keep it tighter given their problems retaining possession which would be hard to fix in a week even without the changes to the first 15.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
User avatar
paddyor
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3866
Joined: November 17th, 2012, 12:48 am

Re: England v 6 Nations Champions 2018 Twickenham March 17

Postby Sionnach » March 15th, 2018, 11:26 pm

Owens replaces van Der Westhuizen as assistant referee for Saturday.

https://twitter.com/murray_kinsella/sta ... 08258?s=21
User avatar
Sionnach
Bookworm
 
Posts: 202
Joined: April 15th, 2013, 5:19 pm

Re: England v 6 Nations Champions 2018 Twickenham March 17

Postby A16 » March 15th, 2018, 11:32 pm

simonokeeffe wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:He is that level of evil Xan

I think most of those changes suit us. Theyre more one dimensional in midfield (and 9) plus Sinkler is a proven hot head


They have a far better balance to their back row now, Farrell is the only outhalf in the NH close to Sextons level and wigglesworth is the best scrum half in England. This team is considerably better than they've put out in this competition this season.

One change for Ireland, Ryan in for Toner


Robshaw is in garbage form

I don’t where you’re getting that from, I thought Robshaw was one of the few English players who actually stood up over the last couple of games.
A16
Learner
 
Posts: 97
Joined: December 29th, 2017, 5:39 am

Re: England v 6 Nations Champions 2018 Twickenham March 17

Postby TerenureJim » March 15th, 2018, 11:40 pm

Kinda disappointing we won't get to see Stander running at Ford but looking forward to Leavy hunting and terrorising Farrell and getting him rightly tetchy and annoyed
User avatar
TerenureJim
Rob Kearney
 
Posts: 5242
Joined: May 5th, 2009, 10:09 am

Re: England v 6 Nations Champions 2018 Twickenham March 17

Postby olaf the fat » March 16th, 2018, 1:39 am

Sionnach wrote:Owens replaces van Der Westhuizen as assistant referee for Saturday.

https://twitter.com/murray_kinsella/sta ... 08258?s=21


Not necessarily a good thing, Nige's moment in the limelight (he always has one nowdays) will effect the match.
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
User avatar
olaf the fat
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3608
Joined: April 5th, 2006, 11:35 am
Location: On the sofa of perpetual pleasure

Re: England v 6 Nations Champions 2018 Twickenham March 17

Postby simonokeeffe » March 16th, 2018, 10:49 am

@A16 his clearouts have been highlighted already but his discipline and decision making have been poor (for a player of his experience)

@TJ Farrell isn't a great defender at this level especially going by stats
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
User avatar
simonokeeffe
Leo Cullen
 
Posts: 16777
Joined: July 21st, 2011, 3:04 am
Location: Dublin

Re: England v 6 Nations Champions 2018 Twickenham March 17

Postby Oldschool » March 16th, 2018, 12:51 pm

On the corridor of power post.
My tuppence halfpenny's worth.
1. The channel between 10 and 12.
2. The pick and go though gaps around the fringes.
3. The sqeeze space that the defensive team's line speed is trying to minimise.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
User avatar
Oldschool
Shane Horgan
 
Posts: 11826
Joined: March 27th, 2008, 2:10 pm

Re: England v 6 Nations Champions 2018 Twickenham March 17

Postby Dexter » March 16th, 2018, 1:20 pm

olaf the fat wrote:
Sionnach wrote:Owens replaces van Der Westhuizen as assistant referee for Saturday.

https://twitter.com/murray_kinsella/sta ... 08258?s=21


Not necessarily a good thing, Nige's moment in the limelight (he always has one nowdays) will effect the match.

He'll try to ref the game from touch...
Dont Panic!
User avatar
Dexter
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 2896
Joined: April 10th, 2010, 11:36 am

Re: England v 6 Nations Champions 2018 Twickenham March 17

Postby Peg Leg » March 16th, 2018, 1:24 pm

The Hyperbole surrounding the touch judge on here is reaching Nigel Owens levels of pantomime.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
User avatar
Peg Leg
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 9087
Joined: February 1st, 2010, 6:08 pm
Location: Procrastinasia

Re: England v 6 Nations Champions 2018 Twickenham March 17

Postby LeRouxIsPHat » March 16th, 2018, 1:28 pm

Peg Leg wrote:The Hyperbole surrounding the touch judge on here is reaching Nigel Owens levels of pantomime.


oh nid ydyw!
User avatar
LeRouxIsPHat
Shane Horgan
 
Posts: 12103
Joined: January 22nd, 2009, 8:49 pm

Re: England v 6 Nations Champions 2018 Twickenham March 17

Postby simonokeeffe » March 16th, 2018, 1:51 pm

Owens is sending him a signed photo as a consolation prize
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
User avatar
simonokeeffe
Leo Cullen
 
Posts: 16777
Joined: July 21st, 2011, 3:04 am
Location: Dublin

Re: England v 6 Nations Champions 2018 Twickenham March 17

Postby Edna Kenny » March 16th, 2018, 2:05 pm

Owens is good at spotting off the ball stuff so we need to keep our discipline. I'd imagine England will go out to rough us up so we really want to avoid any cards or penalty reversals.
Edna Kenny
Graduate
 
Posts: 619
Joined: May 18th, 2007, 9:54 am

Re: England v 6 Nations Champions 2018 Twickenham March 17

Postby Oldschool » March 16th, 2018, 2:39 pm

The best take on this game is to-
Forget all the bs from EJ.
Forget England's very recent form.
Remember that England are a powerful team.
Remember that England backed into a corner will come out fighting.
And lastly don't forget to remember to enjoy the drama that tomorrow will bring. :twisted:
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
User avatar
Oldschool
Shane Horgan
 
Posts: 11826
Joined: March 27th, 2008, 2:10 pm

Re: England v 6 Nations Champions 2018 Twickenham March 17

Postby simonokeeffe » March 16th, 2018, 3:13 pm

Edna Kenny wrote:Owens is good at spotting off the ball stuff so we need to keep our discipline. I'd imagine England will go out to rough us up so we really want to avoid any cards or penalty reversals.


With no Mike Brown theyre at a serious angry face defeceit.
I do expect Te'o to target Johnny all day.
Our pack would win in a straight fight.
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
User avatar
simonokeeffe
Leo Cullen
 
Posts: 16777
Joined: July 21st, 2011, 3:04 am
Location: Dublin

Re: England v 6 Nations Champions 2018 Twickenham March 17

Postby Oldschool » March 16th, 2018, 3:27 pm

simonokeeffe wrote:
Edna Kenny wrote:Owens is good at spotting off the ball stuff so we need to keep our discipline. I'd imagine England will go out to rough us up so we really want to avoid any cards or penalty reversals.


With no Mike Brown theyre at a serious angry face defeceit.
I do expect Te'o to target Johnny all day.
Our pack would win in a straight fight.

And that's why England are so dangerous.
That last statement is an affront that the English more than any other country take very personally.
They are one of the most dangerous teams to play when they are underdogs because they so rarely are and as a result it's usually down to poor form rather than ability.
This is a team that was ranked 2nd in the world only a week ago, that backboned a successful Lions to the 1st ranked country. The ability is there, the bulldog spirit will rise tomorrow and Connacht might be where they want to send us.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
User avatar
Oldschool
Shane Horgan
 
Posts: 11826
Joined: March 27th, 2008, 2:10 pm

Re: England v 6 Nations Champions 2018 Twickenham March 17

Postby Peg Leg » March 16th, 2018, 3:43 pm

Joe will be having a word with the refs RE: T'eo's plaster paris of power move.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
User avatar
Peg Leg
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 9087
Joined: February 1st, 2010, 6:08 pm
Location: Procrastinasia

PreviousNext

Return to International Rugby

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest