England v 6 Nations Champions 2018 Twickenham March 17

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

blockhead
Rob Kearney

Re: England v 6 Nations Champions 2018 Twickenham March 17

Post by blockhead »

I think thats 31 points we've scored while the clock was in the red in this 6Ns. Some going.
That was some performance today considering the stakes. Brave and intelligent. I don't think anyone had a bad game.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

So coach Joe and his merry men have a few more firsts to achieve.
A series win in the SH.
A back to back GS.
A RWC semi final.
A RWC final.
A RWC win.
An unbeaten run in a calender year.
A ranking of 1st.
Aim for the stars and you might reach the moon.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
A16
Learner

Post by A16 »

I think the most incredible thing about that performance was just the unrelenting excellence every player on the pitch delivered today. I genuinely can’t think of a player who didn’t perform to a very high standard today, it was a really complete performance. Kearney was man of the match for me. He played like his 2012 days, absolutely immense. Furlong, Murray and Ryan were also exceptional, along with so many others. Great finish to a great campaign.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

A16 wrote:I think the most incredible thing about that performance was just the unrelenting excellence every player on the pitch delivered today. I genuinely can’t think of a player who didn’t perform to a very high standard today, it was a really complete performance. Kearney was man of the match for me. He played like his 2012 days, absolutely immense. Furlong, Murray and Ryan were also exceptional, along with so many others. Great finish to a great campaign.
+1.
Everything that I thought was possible but was wary of predicting.

Many on this team are still playing just with discipline and competence. When they truly absorb what they have achieved, they will graduate to confidence. At the moment, only Rob, Earlsy, J10, Murray, Best, Cian and PO'M are playing truly with confidence, i.e. not having to remember their lines. There will be a time soon when the other 15, and probably another 10, will be playing that sort of rugby by instinct and adding to it from their incredible repetoire of skills.

The "Kilkenny Effect" of internal competition is going to drive the performance levels in this Squad to stratospheric levels in the next 18 months / two seasons because of our strength in depth. Let's sit back and enjoy.

And yes, thanks to Joe, all his coaches, analysts & staff and, of course, to our wonderful Squad. Enjoy every moment. You brought us great joy and immense pride in your performances and victory. You deserve every accolade that comes your way.
A16
Learner

England v 6 Nations Champions 2018 Twickenham March 17

Post by A16 »

A16 wrote:I think the most incredible thing about that performance was just the unrelenting excellence every player on the pitch delivered today. I genuinely can’t think of a player who didn’t perform to a very high standard, it was a really complete performance. Kearney was man of the match for me. He played like his 2012 days, absolutely immense. Furlong, Murray and Ryan were also exceptional, along with so many others. Great finish to a great campaign.
Didn’t mean to quote that, ignore this post.
SaS
Bookworm

Post by SaS »

sunshiner1 wrote:Superb management during POM's ten mins and then the third try. This team has the brains and the talent to win this!
Agree with that, throughout all the games the one thing that stands out is the fact that we play each half until the ref actually blows the whistle to signal the end - Sexton against France, Aki and Stockdale against Wales, Stockdale against Scotland and Stockdale against England. The 40 minutes isn't over till the ref blows the whistle...
neilinboston
Knowledgeable

Post by neilinboston »

Anybody else feel like this might be an Irish equivalent of Leinster joe in 2011? Great year but team and joe know there’s more to come.
Dundalk 1
Bookworm

Post by Dundalk 1 »

Unbelievable performance
England don’t do losing at Twickenham and in the end the score line flattered them
Was watching at the tunnel after the match and the broadest smile was on Andy Farrell’s face
Vindication for him on the stage of his fall from grace
Well done Andy
Hopefully you are with us for the long haul
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

neilinboston wrote:Anybody else feel like this might be an Irish equivalent of Leinster joe in 2011? Great year but team and joe know there’s more to come.
+1 especially given the age profile of the squad.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

Stuart Lancaster coaches 14 of those players. Revenge?
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
brotheroffrank
Knowledgeable

Post by brotheroffrank »

At the start of the 6 Nations if you had thought the finishing backline would be :
Murray
Carbery
Ringrose
Larmour
Stockdale
Marmion
Kearney

would you be thinking. .."Grand Slam" ?
Great performance by the entire squad......
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Ireland 2018 join France 1981 as the only two teams to win Grand Slams at Twickenham at the first time of asking. That French team are still household names in French rugby. This Irish Squad deserve the same reverence.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

brotheroffrank wrote:At the start of the 6 Nations if you had thought the finishing backline would be :
Murray
Carbery
Ringrose
Larmour
Stockdale
Marmion
Kearney

And factor inexperienced players will h super low cap numbers like Aki, J Ryan, Porter, Leavy, Farrell all playing at levels like they had 30-50 caps it's unreal how far this squad can go
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

I could watch the break for the second try endlessly on a loop. Oh here comes Sexton running on a loop, quelle surpr....oh f%~k? it's a fakeout. BOOOOOOM! Lovely supporting line from CJ too. Reminiscent of Jamie in his pomp.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

cormac wrote:I could watch the break for the second try endlessly on a loop. Oh here comes Sexton running on a loop, quelle surpr....oh f%~k? it's a fakeout. BOOOOOOM! Lovely supporting line from CJ too. Reminiscent of Jamie in his pomp.
Just watched it back looks like all Anthony Watson has to do to stop the Stander try is stand in front of the post but he does nothing.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

brotheroffrank wrote:At the start of the 6 Nations if you had thought the finishing backline would be :
Murray
Carbery
Ringrose
Larmour
Stockdale
Marmion
Kearney

Was going to mention this too, incredible that the players are so well drilled and have such confidence that they can do that.

I know they scored three tries but it just felt like we were in complete control and could score if we needed to. Brilliant performance and can't wait to see this team play more over the next couple of years.

The impact of the young guys has been unbelievable. They haven't just come in and done the basics, they've really added a huge amount. Some of the older guys have had great tournaments as well. POM and Rob get a lot of criticism and they did have some poorer moments earlier in the tournament, but overall they were brilliant and particularly yesterday. That was Rob's best game since Chicago IMO.

Leavy has gone to another level in recent months too. When you think of when he first started delivering on his potential for Leinster it was all about turnovers and good carrying out wide. Not sure he did any of that yesterday but his impact with his close in carrying, his defence, and his handling in tight spaces was top class. He's got the lot and it's great to see him fit and delivering on it. Must be hard for Josh to have been watching that but hope his recovery is going well and that he'll be back stronger. Delighted for Jordi too, he took his brief chances really well and I think I'd start him against Saracens now.

Murray Kinsella tweeted about Furlong earlier. He had 18 tackles and his carrying was immense. He's a joy to watch and we're lucky to be able to do so.

It would take too long to praise everyone but there are so many people who deserve to be lauded. A great day and they've given us so many already.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
A16 wrote:I think the most incredible thing about that performance was just the unrelenting excellence every player on the pitch delivered today. I genuinely can’t think of a player who didn’t perform to a very high standard today, it was a really complete performance. Kearney was man of the match for me. He played like his 2012 days, absolutely immense. Furlong, Murray and Ryan were also exceptional, along with so many others. Great finish to a great campaign.
+1.
Everything that I thought was possible but was wary of predicting.

Many on this team are still playing just with discipline and competence. When they truly absorb what they have achieved, they will graduate to confidence. At the moment, only Rob, Earlsy, J10, Murray, Best, Cian and PO'M are playing truly with confidence, i.e. not having to remember their lines. There will be a time soon when the other 15, and probably another 10, will be playing that sort of rugby by instinct and adding to it from their incredible repetoire of skills.

The "Kilkenny Effect" of internal competition is going to drive the performance levels in this Squad to stratospheric levels in the next 18 months / two seasons because of our strength in depth. Let's sit back and enjoy.

And yes, thanks to Joe, all his coaches, analysts & staff and, of course, to our wonderful Squad. Enjoy every moment. You brought us great joy and immense pride in your performances and victory. You deserve every accolade that comes your way.

Kilkenny is a good comparison and goes to show the hidden benefits of having a big squad of players. Not only do they drive each other on but there's also the opportunity to rotate a player when he isn't 100%. It makes a huge difference when you're dealing in 1% margins in international rugby.

A great thing about yesterday was all the young lads now know what it's like to win in Twickenham and win the grand slam at the same time. Thats massive for their development. When the pressure came on they delivered and that's something that let previous Irish teams down.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

After giving his medal to a kid with Down's Syndrome after the game I will find it very hard to make fun of POMs angry face or elite pointing ever again
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

simonokeeffe wrote:After giving his medal to a kid with Down's Syndrome after the game I will find it very hard to make fun of POMs angry face or elite pointing ever again
I've been his biggest critic but he really upped his game this Six nations.
Anyone But New Zealand
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

FLIP wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:After giving his medal to a kid with Down's Syndrome after the game I will find it very hard to make fun of POMs angry face or elite pointing ever again
I've been his biggest critic but he really upped his game this Six nations.
Hes the new Jordi Murphy :)
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon