Summer tour to Australia

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

leinsterforever
Mullet

Re: Summer tour to Australia

Post by leinsterforever »

Twist wrote:Thought I had posted this before but I don't see it here so apologies if this is a repeat but.....

The Healy chat is a bit concerning. I haven't seen any footage of the alleged hit on Genia but if he's out what do we do at LH? Does Porter take the LH bench spot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Can't see anything coming of the Healy incident, but it's an interesting question that they should prepare for - assuming it's the same five props in the squad for Japan (which seems likely, barring injury). I feel Ryan at loosehead and Porter staying at tighthead might be better in the scrum. Ryan has more experience of shifting between the positions for one thing, albeit that was a while ago now
MelbourneRebel
Knowledgeable

Post by MelbourneRebel »

As the video shows there was nothing in the Healy incident and Cheika should be called out for disparaging him so publicly. It was unfortunate for Genia but it was a freak occurrence.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Porter looked really pissed off about something at the end of the game. I think it was himself, Scannel tries to gee him up but he's havin none of it. The scrum pen and the last try, maybe?
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Injury?
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

blockhead wrote:Porter looked really pissed off about something at the end of the game. I think it was himself, Scannel tries to gee him up but he's havin none of it. The scrum pen and the last try, maybe?
The penalty I'd say, that changed the momentum of the game and gave a well beaten team a chance.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Flash Gordon wrote:
blockhead wrote:Porter looked really pissed off about something at the end of the game. I think it was himself, Scannel tries to gee him up but he's havin none of it. The scrum pen and the last try, maybe?
The penalty I'd say, that changed the momentum of the game and gave a well beaten team a chance.
Yes, that was a bit of a black mark for him. But to be fair, the ref didn’t help him by signaling him for comment at the previous set, as being the likely cause of that falling down. That type of “advice” invites the opposition front row to go after a prop.

But he can console himself that the MOTM was similarly creamed in a crucial scrum the previous week, and came back the better of it.

Porter will have many more good to great games than poor ones; this won’t do him any harm or if he reacts in training and preparation with the commitment that his on-field reaction indicates.

"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

artaneboy wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:
Yes, that was a bit of a black mark for him. But to be fair, the ref didn’t help him by signaling him for comment at the previous set, as being the likely cause of that falling down. That type of “advice” invites the opposition front row to go after a prop.

But he can console himself that the MOTM was similarly creamed in a crucial scrum the previous week, and came back the better of it.

Porter will have many more good to great games than poor ones; this won’t do him any harm or if he reacts in training and preparation with the commitment that his on-field reaction indicates.

Yeah the comment by the ref was ridiculous. The kid came on in a huge test match on foreign soil at a crucial time so the ref's comments weren't great - you just knew the Australians were going to use that. You forget sometimes, he's only 22 and was playing schools and only came into the Academy in 2016, plenty of great days to come!
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Flash Gordon wrote: Yeah the comment by the ref was ridiculous. The kid came on in a huge test match on foreign soil at a crucial time so the ref's comments weren't great - you just knew the Australians were going to use that. You forget sometimes, he's only 22 and was playing schools and only came into the Academy in 2016, plenty of great days to come!
When a ref does that, you know he's setting the player up for a penalty against.
Total intimidation by the ref and an open invitation to the opposite prop to do whatever he likes.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

I looked back at the game again yesterday. It was a great game of rugby to watch even on second viewing.

I have no problems with the two Irish sinbins, I heard it mentioned (not here) that the Australian maul was over the line when Healy sacked it so not even a penalty but he clearly comes in from the side before the line and pulls it down so no issue there, bloody stupid decision by Healy when will he learn to make the right percentage calls.

Jack McGrath kills an attacking move with a cynical bit of play in a ruck, yellow, fair call.

I am still raging two days later that the same consistency in officiating was not given to both teams. Australia repeatedly gave away penalties in the red zone in the second half when we were camped on their line, they got a team warning and then gave away another penalty which we scored from on penalty advantage through Furlong. The ref has to install that same strong call he made against Healy (correctly) here in this situation by sinbinning the Australian who is already on a team warning. Weak.

Just before we go down to 14 men for the second time Foley deliberately knocks on a ball so we cannot attack from deep with numbers up the left wing wing, it is another cynical foul (like Jack McGrath's) and is their second deliberate knock on in the match and has come after their second (second ffs) team warning, just a penalty given, infuriating.

The cherry on top, 76th minute Australia are attacking and they come through and clear out Sexton with a shoulder charge at head height (just around the 22 at our posts). Sexton immediately calls it and a couple of phases later they score the try that made it a one score game and could have proved crucial. They should have got it the first time but the try allowed them a second chance to look for the foul play through TMO but nothing.

It feels like whingeing always giving out about officials but ffs. how can they not ref both teams to the same set of standards.

Anyway great win for Ireland if it was by another 15-20 points it would not have looked to much.
Last edited by OTT on June 18th, 2018, 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

Larkham is now calling on the refs to look at our tactics of competing with Folau in the air and slowing down their ball.

Jeez, you couldn't make it up!
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

There was also a tackle around Jordi's neck where someone pulled him to the ground that couldn't have been more obvious given that it was out in the open and went on for a while. Missing that kind of thing doesn't bother me as much as the inconsistency but it was so blatant that it really bugged me.

I was listening to Johne Murphy on OTB (he's very good actually) and he pointed out the players we were missing in the last few minutes. Thinking about it further, we finished with only 6 forwards and they were Herring, Porter, Ryan, Beirne, Jordi, and CJ. It may not have been for that long but our defence with that group was still brilliant, great place to be.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

olaf the fat wrote:Larkham is now calling on the refs to look at our tactics of competing with Folau in the air and slowing down their ball.

Jeez, you couldn't make it up!
He should be more worried about how little they've got him on the ball. I can barely remember him with ball in hand in either game.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

OTT wrote:I looked back at the game again yesterday. It was a great game of rugby to watch even on second viewing.

I have no problems with the two Irish sinbins, I heard it mentioned (not here) that the Australian maul was over the line when Healy sacked it so not even a penalty but he clearly comes in from the side before the line and pulls it down so no issue there, bloody stupid decision by Healy when will he learn to make the right percentage calls.

Jack McGrath kills an attacking move with a cynical bit of play in a ruck, yellow, fair call.

I am still raging two days later that the same consistency in officiating was not given to both teams. Australia repeatedly gave away penalties in the red zone in the second half when we were camped on their line, they got a team warning and then gave away another penalty which we scored from on penalty advantage through Furlong. The ref has to install that same strong call he made against Healy (correctly) here in this situation by sinbinning the Australian who is already on a team warning. Weak.

Just before we go down to 14 men for the second time Foley deliberately knocks on a ball so we cannot attack from deep with numbers up the left wing wing, it is another cynical foul (like Jack McGrath's) and is their second deliberate knock on in the match and has come after their second (second ffs) team warning, just a penalty given, unfuriating.

The cherry on top, 76th minute Australia are attacking and they come through and clear out Sexton with a shoulder charge at head height (just around the 22 at our posts). Sexton immediately calls it and a couple of phases later they score the try that made it a one score game and could have proved crucial. They should have got it the first time but the try allowed them a second chance to look for the foul play through TMO but nothing.

It feels like whingeing always giving out about officials but ffs. how can they not ref both teams to the same set of standards.

Anyway great win for Ireland if it was by another 15-20 points it would not have looked to much.
I agree and don't think anyone here has an issue with the cards, it's the complete lack of consistency that's really annoying. Joe's post match comment about the penalty count Vs card count summed it up. It's amazing how Australia didn't a get a second yellow at some stage.
Dont Panic!
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

While they were sorting out the Jack Mcgrath Knock-on with the TMO, Dev Toners head came into view and he knocked back a small bottle of something. Anybody know what that was? It grabbed my attention because it looked like a 'small Jamison' or 'baby Powers'.

While the 'old-school' in me would like to think we were re-invigorating our players with whiskey I doubt that's still the case :lol:
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

LeinsterLeader wrote:While they were sorting out the Jack Mcgrath Knock-on with the TMO, Dev Toners head came into view and he knocked back a small bottle of something. Anybody know what that was? It grabbed my attention because it looked like a 'small Jamison' or 'baby Powers'.

While the 'old-school' in me would like to think we were re-invigorating our players with whiskey I doubt that's still the case :lol:
Sexton also knocked one of those drinks back around the same time.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

It's some sort of energy drink in the guise of a 5 Hour Energy shot.
You often seen them taking energy/sugar gels like these under the posts. Seemingly are liable to literally rot your teeth with consistent use!

Interestingly Isa spoke recently about how one of his pre-game habits was to take caffeine pills. Wonder how widespread is that? Imagine someone like Jordan Larmour with caffeine pills in him, he'd be like a feckin blur!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I think caffeine pills are as much a part of pre game prep as putting your kit on. Jamie spoke about them years ago because he said it was impossible to sleep the night of a game after taking them and other things as well, can't remember what the the other stuff was though.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

I thought the ref was fine. He might have given the a YC for the 2nd infringement on their line but once we scored the YC clock reset. And yes the Aussies had lots of infringements but unless they're in the 22 they generally don't count towards a YC.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

We lost a lot of metres and penalties to line-out mauls which are a blight on the game. They are really a form of legalised obstruction. They yield unwarranted metres, penalties (with metres) and tries without any real contest being possible once the initial maul moves off its centre and the obstruction-train gets chuffing.

There should be a 10 metres cap on how far line-out mauls can march upfield, many of them centipede-like, before the ball is used.

Also, it seems easier to enter North Korea legally than to enter a defending lineout maul. The punishment does not fit the crime nor is the reward justified.
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by enby »

The whole situation in relation to tip tackles is ridiculous. All tip tackles should result in a red card and a four week ban. The officials should not have to view multiple reruns to determine whether the player landed on his head or neck or shoulder or arm or side or whatever and the tackler should not benefit from the tackled player using his hand to defend himself as Rob K did on Saturday. There can be no doubt that the tip tackle can cause serious injuries and there is no reason why a player might carry out such a tackle on an opponent. It should be regarded as a complete "no no" just as the foot trip is.