Summer tour to Australia

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

paddyor
Shane Jennings

Re: Summer tour to Australia

Post by paddyor »

bamboozle wrote:My issue with the referring last Saturday was quite simple, consistency, YC for Healy (no team warning from ref at that point) but no YC for Hooper prior to Furlong's try (2 team warning from ref at that point). YC to Jack but not YC to Foley for preventing a breakaway with a deliberate knock on. But my biggest issue was the the Oz knock on at 39:57 on the clock, this should have seen us with an attacking scrum inside their 22 just to the left of the posts, how the ref saw fit to blow up for half time is incredible, especially when you consider how efficient Ireland have been at scoring just prior to half time during the 6Ns and the momentum we had at that point. This is something Joe raised after the game.

It was one of the most inconsistent reffing performances I've seen in a long time, thankfully we've a NH ref this weekend.
What Healy did was dangerous and he forced the ref to intervene to award the score. It was so blatant as well. Hoopers offence had no material impact on the game because Furlong scored. IMO most refs don't give the YC to Hooper when we score, whether you agree with that or not.

Now, if you want to talk about consistency. The pulled down the maul before our try, and they weren't going to stop it. Not as blatantly as Healy, they tried to sack the jumper at the start and got trapped underneath it, seemed intentional. Ref calls peno we go wide and score. It wouldn't have been a peno try because it was further out IMO. Having brandished a YC 60 seconds earlier I don't think most refs would give one In that situation for that offence. It's ref craft on the part of the Wallabies like the 3 penos on the line. That's how most refs are going to ref it.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

paddyor wrote:
bamboozle wrote:My issue with the referring last Saturday was quite simple, consistency, YC for Healy (no team warning from ref at that point) but no YC for Hooper prior to Furlong's try (2 team warning from ref at that point). YC to Jack but not YC to Foley for preventing a breakaway with a deliberate knock on. But my biggest issue was the the Oz knock on at 39:57 on the clock, this should have seen us with an attacking scrum inside their 22 just to the left of the posts, how the ref saw fit to blow up for half time is incredible, especially when you consider how efficient Ireland have been at scoring just prior to half time during the 6Ns and the momentum we had at that point. This is something Joe raised after the game.

It was one of the most inconsistent reffing performances I've seen in a long time, thankfully we've a NH ref this weekend.
What Healy did was dangerous and he forced the ref to intervene to award the score. It was so blatant as well. Hoopers offence had no material impact on the game because Furlong scored. IMO most refs don't give the YC to Hooper when we score, whether you agree with that or not.

Now, if you want to talk about consistency. The pulled down the maul before our try, and they weren't going to stop it. Not as blatantly as Healy, they tried to sack the jumper at the start and got trapped underneath it, seemed intentional. Ref calls peno we go wide and score. It wouldn't have been a peno try because it was further out IMO. Having brandished a YC 60 seconds earlier I don't think most refs would give one In that situation for that offence. It's ref craft on the part of the Wallabies like the 3 penos on the line. That's how most refs are going to ref it.
What do you think was dangerous about Healy collapsing that maul?

Also, do you give any credence to the fact that he did so when it was over our try line - when you are allowed do so to prevent a try.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

backrower8 wrote:What do you think was dangerous about Healy collapsing that maul?

Also, do you give any credence to the fact that he did so when it was over our try line - when you are allowed do so to prevent a try.
+1
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

backrower8 wrote: What do you think was dangerous about Healy collapsing that maul?

Collapsing a maul is considered dangerous play because you're bring a lot of weight(other players) down uncontrolled.

https://youtu.be/E5CIvXqqZHM?t=1m54s

No. You're not allowed to collapse the maul if it's over the line. Scott Fardy got yellowed for it earlier in the season.

https://youtu.be/r8jE7a6T49M?t=1m15s

I think what you mean is tackle the carrier at the back...if you can get to them. But you have to do it from an onside position. In this case that would be standing on the line waiting for them. As opposed to "accidentally" coming around the back for a goo to see where the ball is, before grabbing the carrier and bringoing the maul down on top of him.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Those changes feel like they weaken us, although they appear to be, largely, inevitable due to injuries. Cronin appears to be a selection decision but Stockdale, Bundee, McGrath and Conan seem all to be injury related. In particular, we'll miss Ringrose and Leavy and their absence significant plays to the Aussie strengths.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Feels like a huge opportunity for Jack Conan to prove to Schmidt that he can be more than a carrier against the weaker sides. He'll need to do a good bit of work keeping Pocock and Hooper quiet.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Not a fan of the selection. My confidence in us winning has gone right down. If Hooper and Pocock play anywhere close to their level in the first game we're f**ked.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Sorry is the team out?
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Those changes feel like they weaken us, although they appear to be, largely, inevitable due to injuries. Cronin appears to be a selection decision but Stockdale, Bundee, McGrath and Conan seem all to be injury related. In particular, we'll miss Ringrose and Leavy and their absence significant plays to the Aussie strengths.
+1

Deja Vu. 2015 RWC QF. Injuries strike and the balance of our back row & centres are not good enough. Advantage Australia by 5-10. We have only one proven 9, 10, 13 & 15 and are skinny on the wings too. #DepthFail
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

paddyor wrote:
backrower8 wrote: What do you think was dangerous about Healy collapsing that maul?

Collapsing a maul is considered dangerous play because you're bring a lot of weight(other players) down uncontrolled.

https://youtu.be/E5CIvXqqZHM?t=1m54s

No. You're not allowed to collapse the maul if it's over the line. Scott Fardy got yellowed for it earlier in the season.

https://youtu.be/r8jE7a6T49M?t=1m15s

I think what you mean is tackle the carrier at the back...if you can get to them. But you have to do it from an onside position. In this case that would be standing on the line waiting for them. As opposed to "accidentally" coming around the back for a goo to see where the ball is, before grabbing the carrier and bringoing the maul down on top of him.
I will bow to your knowledge re maul takedown. I was taking a line from Franno on that.

I don’t buy the danger line. There are many things more dangerous than that in every minute of the game.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

TerenureJim wrote:Sorry is the team out?
15. Rob Kearney
14. Keith Earls
13. Robbie Henshaw
12. Bundee Aki
11. Jacob Stockdale
10. Johnny Sexton
9. Conor Murray

1. Jack McGrath
2. Sean Cronin
3. Tadhg Furlong
4. Devin Toner
5. James Ryan
6. CJ Stander
7. Peter O’Mahony (captain)
8. Jack Conan

Replacements:

16. Niall Scannell
17. Cian Healy
18. John Ryan
19. Tadhg Beirne
20. Jordi Murphy
21. Kieran Marmion
22. Ross Byrne
23. Jordan Larmour
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

POM at 7? Interesting, probably mostly done so Stander can move to 6.

Ross Byrne could make his debut in a crunch match.
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Post by TrapperChamonix »

paddyor wrote:
I thought the ball carrier had moved to the front and thats who Healy pulled down? Its not clear on the replay. He may have starter it prior to the actual line. But I could be wrong.
Last edited by TrapperChamonix on June 21st, 2018, 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Post by TrapperChamonix »

John Ryan benefiting from his good showing in the 1st game.

Can't accuse Joe of not giving them a go. I would have liked to see Cooney get more of a chance but I'd say everyone else is pretty pleased with the opportunity they've been given.
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Dave Cahill wrote:Or it could simply be that Schmidt is rotating the guys in and out. Three tests, three hookers, everyone gets a start and a bench. We won't actually know until the third test. If Cronin doesn't get a start - then it might be odd.
Great call Dave.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

hopefully Leavy/Ringer aren't seriously injured and return for leinster is unaffected.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

backrower8 wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:Those changes feel like they weaken us, although they appear to be, largely, inevitable due to injuries. Cronin appears to be a selection decision but Stockdale, Bundee, McGrath and Conan seem all to be injury related. In particular, we'll miss Ringrose and Leavy and their absence significant plays to the Aussie strengths.
+1

Deja Vu. 2015 RWC QF. Injuries strike and the balance of our back row & centres are not good enough. Advantage Australia by 5-10. We have only one proven 9, 10, 13 & 15 and are skinny on the wings too. #DepthFail
Perhaps JS has created a 2015 like situation to see how a "weakened" team would perform in a crunch match.
Henshaw is not as good a 13 as Ringtone however I think he'll be a lot closer to the mark this time (jet lag etc no longer an issue).
The BR ihas ball carrying written all over it. JS knows that BR can't compete with Hooper and Pick at their game so it will be interesting to see what he has come up with.
The ref may have influenced the selection.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
R-Dog
Graduate

Post by R-Dog »

Agree with you on the above points. Also add in when Earls has the try disallowed you have a good case for a Peno try as Foley has him round the neck as he is diving for the line. Cant help but thing Nigel would have got this one right

2 Similar situations and the decisions and each time were straight yellows to us and nothing to them
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

R-Dog wrote:

Agree with you on the above points. Also add in when Earls has the try disallowed you have a good case for a Peno try as Foley has him round the neck as he is diving for the line. Cant help but thing Nigel would have got this one right

2 Similar situations and the decisions and each time were straight yellows to us and nothing to them
Nigel is well past his best before date. You can still use it but it's not as good as it was.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

The team FEELS wrong to me but realistically isn't the only major issue that POM is at 7? Admittedly that could potentially be a major issue given who we're up against but the rest of the team is fine on paper. I'm worried about fatigue though, big ask for Rob, CJ, Ryan, and Furlong (think he played until late on last week by his standards and obviously put in a huge shift) to go again after a long season.

POM at 7 actually feels like a World Cup selection to me. I've been saying for a while that one of things we could do with working on is to move guys out of position the odd time in case it's needed in a World Cup and maybe that formed part of the thinking as to why he got the nod ahead of Jordi. With that in mind, I would have started Marmion for this one too. I know it's a reasonably important series but Murray shouldn't have started every game IMO.

Not shocked that Cronin is starting but delighted for him and he really needs a big game after how the other guys played.

I can't call this at all, wouldn't surprise me if the lack of a 7 destroyed us or if we just beat them up and won ugly. I would guess they'll get more joy at the breakdown regardless of who wins the battle overall, so set piece will be more important than last week and if Cronin maintains our solidity there then that'll be a positive. I'm hoping we see a better performance from the centres than we did in the first game. We're well set up to put lots of pressure on Phipps regardless of not having a 7, think we can get some joy there.

I'm really curious as to how Australia adapt after last week. They really need to get Folau on the ball, he's been wasted so far. I'm sure they'll try and target Robbie after his mistakes in the first test, but my guess is that that would be a grave error on their part.