Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

blockhead
Rob Kearney

Re: Summer tour to Australia

Post by blockhead »

Warning!
Blowing smoke up our arse alert!
"They've had some great success for their backline throughout the Six Nations and there's really young, exciting guys in that backline such as Garry Ringrose," he said.
"Obviously, (Jacob) Stockdale won the Six Nations player of the tournament and then there are guys like (Johnny) Sexton who is all class.
"They have threats right across the backline and a really strong forward pack.
"It's going to be a massive test -- they're probably the form team in the world at the moment so I'm looking forward to it."
Reece Hodge
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

The most significant story from an Irish rugby perspective is Rory Best missing the Tour (and almost four weeks of intense World Cup preparation). This opens the question of Irish Captain about 5 months earlier than Joe would have wanted that discussion to start.

It may also disrupt the possibility of seeing Beirne in the No 6 shirt on this Tour and even pre-RWC2019. The knock-ons are, at least potentially far-reaching, if not endless.

Hopefully, for all concerned except PO'M, J10 will get the armband and Ryan the Pack leadership, which might be a little early, but is an inevitable decision at some point, because of his extraordinary rugby brain and perception. Certainly, if those decisions are made they would have far fewer implications for future selections up to the end of 2019-20 season.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I hope Scannell has been able to gather himself after his relatively poor form recently. It could be a bit of a disaster for him to travel when out of form. I said last summer that he could overtake Best this season and still think he could have if he hadn't got injured, but this season has really been a backward step for him, fingers crossed he finishes strongly because I really think he's an excellent player.

Also think this is a good thing for Ireland to have to manage without Best. I really can't remember our squad being as strong as it is now, great time to go to Oz who always trouble us with the speed they play at. I'd love to see this group have a crack at a series in NZ, not sure when we're due there next.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I hope Scannell has been able to gather himself after his relatively poor form recently. It could be a bit of a disaster for him to travel when out of form. I said last summer that he could overtake Best this season and still think he could have if he hadn't got injured, but this season has really been a backward step for him, fingers crossed he finishes strongly because I really think he's an excellent player.

Also think this is a good thing for Ireland to have to manage without Best. I really can't remember our squad being as strong as it is now, great time to go to Oz who always trouble us with the speed they play at. I'd love to see this group have a crack at a series in NZ, not sure when we're due there next.

I'd echo that.

Scannell's form has dropped off this season especially in the last few months. I don't think he has been right and seemed to have that rib problem. Ireland's coaches might bring out the best in him and having the likes of Toner, Ryan and POM to aim for is a hookers dream. Hooker seems to be the position where it takes players longest to reach their best. There are a few hookers like Scannell, Tracy and Delahunt that we want to see having a big season next season.
MelbourneRebel
Knowledgeable

Post by MelbourneRebel »

Ruckedtobits wrote:The most significant story from an Irish rugby perspective is Rory Best missing the Tour (and almost four weeks of intense World Cup preparation). This opens the question of Irish Captain about 5 months earlier than Joe would have wanted that discussion to start.

It may also disrupt the possibility of seeing Beirne in the No 6 shirt on this Tour and even pre-RWC2019. The knock-ons are, at least potentially far-reaching, if not endless.

Hopefully, for all concerned except PO'M, J10 will get the armband and Ryan the Pack leadership, which might be a little early, but is an inevitable decision at some point, because of his extraordinary rugby brain and perception. Certainly, if those decisions are made they would have far fewer implications for future selections up to the end of 2019-20 season.
I'm not necessarily sure I agree that we should hope that Sexton should be captain. He already assumes a leadership position and is responsible for a lot of what is going on during a game anyway. I would be reluctant to add the burden of captaincy to it.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Not sure having Sexton talk to the ref's is a good thing. Best is an accomplished speaker and an excellent communicator with them. Sexton can be to grumpy for them and get on their wrong side.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

sunshiner1 wrote:Not sure having Sexton talk to the ref's is a good thing. Best is an accomplished speaker and an excellent communicator with them. Sexton can be to grumpy for them and get on their wrong side.
POM suffers from same problem as J10.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Call up Ruddock to be captain
Anyone But New Zealand
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

I saw one bookie had Australia as favorites for the first test by 2 pts. I would be interested in seeing odds for an Irish clean sweep. It would be tough but possible with this squad if they stay fit.
R-Dog
Graduate

Post by R-Dog »

Fireworks wrote:I saw one bookie had Australia as favorites for the first test by 2 pts. I would be interested in seeing odds for an Irish clean sweep. It would be tough but possible with this squad if they stay fit.
3-0 is 7/2 Ireland or 11/2 Aus
https://www.oddschecker.com/rugby-union ... rect-score

Not great odds considering 3 x Even money shots is 7-1

or 3 x 10/11 odds on gives you just shy of 6-1
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

The silly season may have started but there's some serious business to be conducted this weekend.
What team can we expect?
How difficult will Oz be to beat.
RK Stockdale Larmour
Ringrose Aki
Sexton Murray.
Healy Cronin Furlong
Ryan Toner
Leavy Stander Pom
McGrath Tracy Porter Dillane Jordi Marmion Joey Conway.
Dillane/Roux is tight but Dillane's mobility shades it.
Earls assumed injured.
Think we can win the first test but it'll be tight.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

Oldschool wrote:The silly season may have started but there's some serious business to be conducted this weekend.
What team can we expect?
RK Stockdale Larmour
Ringrose Aki
Sexton Murray.
Healy Cronin Furlong
Ryan Toner
Leavy Stander Pom
Earls assumed injured.
Dillane and Tracy?
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

leinsterforever wrote:
Oldschool wrote:The silly season may have started but there's some serious business to be conducted this weekend.
What team can we expect?
RK Stockdale Larmour
Ringrose Aki
Sexton Murray.
Healy Cronin Furlong
Ryan Toner
Leavy Stander Pom
Earls assumed injured.
Dillane and Tracy?
I'm not Joe so it's open to suggestions.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Oldschool wrote:
leinsterforever wrote:
What team can we expect?
RK Stockdale Larmour
Ringrose Aki
Sexton Murray.
Healy Cronin Furlong
Ryan Toner
Leavy Stander Pom
Earls assumed injured.
Dillane and Tracy?
I'm not Joe so it's open to suggestions.
I'd suggest that Joe is unlikely to select two players who didn't make the touring squad.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

An excellent suggestion, at least someone is paying attention and wasn't too lazy to check the travelling squad before posting.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

cormac wrote:
I'd suggest that Joe is unlikely to select two players who didn't make the touring squad.
He will if they sign for Munster before Saturday.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

The biggest point in our favour is how much prep time and successful game time we have spent together since Aus last played together and lost successive Tests to Eng and Scot in November.

Less than a week of prep time, coming in the middle of the Super Rugby calendar is a tough ask and last year resulted in a 0-3 series peformance for Oz against the English. Cheika has a very experienced core team - except at hooker - and his starting XV average about 40 caps. But experience isn't teamwork and doesn't replace preparation. The Bookies have it about right, Ireland to win the first Test and Oz to improve along the way and make 2nd & 3rd games very close.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Ruckedtobits wrote:The biggest point in our favour is how much prep time and successful game time we have spent together since Aus last played together and lost successive Tests to Eng and Scot in November.

Less than a week of prep time, coming in the middle of the Super Rugby calendar is a tough ask and last year resulted in a 0-3 series peformance for Oz against the English. Cheika has a very experienced core team - except at hooker - and his starting XV average about 40 caps. But experience isn't teamwork and doesn't replace preparation. The Bookies have it about right, Ireland to win the first Test and Oz to improve along the way and make 2nd & 3rd games very close.
THe England tour was 2016. Last year they lost to Scotland IIRC.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

paddyor wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:The biggest point in our favour is how much prep time and successful game time we have spent together since Aus last played together and lost successive Tests to Eng and Scot in November.

THe England tour was 2016. Last year they lost to Scotland IIRC.
Apologies, you're totally correct. Australia beat Fiji (18-0), lost to Scotland and beat Italy in June last year. Their 0-3 series defeat to England was 2016.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Gerry Thornley has named the Ireland side to start the first test.

Ireland (possible team to face Australia): Rob Kearney; Keith Earls, Robbie Henshaw, Bundee Aki, Jacob Stockdale; Joey Carbery, Conor Murray; Jack McGrath, Rob Herring, John Ryan; Iain Henderson, James Ryan; Peter O’Mahony (capt), Jordi Murphy, CJ Stander.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish