Ireland's Next Captain

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

paddyor
Shane Jennings

Re: Ireland's Next Captain

Post by paddyor »

40/0 tackles in 3 games!
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Post by TrapperChamonix »

COYBIB wrote:
ronk wrote:Captaining for the club helps before going for the country job, not essential though.

Leinster need a new captain.
Sexton, Ruddock, Luke McGrath, Jack McGrath, James Ryan, Rob Kearney, O'Brien, Fardy, Toner, in no particular order, are contenders imo.
I think you want a captain who spends more time in the Leinster camp than the Ireland one. Ruddock or Fardy (can we get a 3rd out of him) would look to be best options.
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

RAILWAY1 wrote:A good captain has a major input in the dressing room and between matches whether they are wins or losses, no matter what the coaches say players will always look to their captain for leadership. If he keeps progressing as he started Ryan could be an exceptional captain leading the team by example, just take a season or so to build up to it.
James Ryan is chomping at the bit to be captain and probably doesn't fully realise it.
You often see him during a match clapping his hands, trying to get players to refocus.
He's a natural leader, situationally aware and reacts spontaneously.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

COYBIB wrote:
ronk wrote:Captaining for the club helps before going for the country job, not essential though.

Sexton, Ruddock, Luke McGrath, Jack McGrath, James Ryan, Rob Kearney, O'Brien, Fardy, Toner, in no particular order, are contenders imo.
Did Ross Byrne captain the Ireland U20s, or a I just imagining that? If so he could be an interesting other option
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

leinsterforever wrote:
COYBIB wrote:

Did Ross Byrne captain the Ireland U20s, or a I just imagining that? If so he could be an interesting other option
Don't think so; think Nick McCarthy was Captain in Ross's second year.
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

Next Captain post RWC 2019 - James Ryan.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

A reminder that this thread (on the International Rugby section) is about Ireland's Captaincy, not Leinster's.

Gavin Cummiskey on the Irish Times podcast today calls Sexton as the RWC Captain. Says POM not guaranteed his place and Best is not going to hold on due to age (he sees Scannell starting and Cronin benching).

He also posits that they could go "left field" and give it to James Ryan.

I am still for a Ryan captaincy this Autumn. He can handle it and keep Jonny out of the full glare of covering all the key roles.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

backrower8 wrote:A reminder that this thread (on the International Rugby section) is about Ireland's Captaincy, not Leinster's.

Gavin Cummiskey on the Irish Times podcast today calls Sexton as the RWC Captain. Says POM not guaranteed his place and Best is not going to hold on due to age (he sees Scannell starting and Cronin benching).

I am still for a Ryan captaincy this Autumn. He can handle it and keep Jonny out of the full glare of covering all the key roles.
Well if Cummiskey says it, it must be true.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
backrower8 wrote:A reminder that this thread (on the International Rugby section) is about Ireland's Captaincy, not Leinster's.

Well if Cummiskey says it, it must be true.
Thanks for your contribution.
janeymac08
Mullet

Post by janeymac08 »

Cummiskey bottled that comment in the Irish Times. The reason he game for not making POM next captain is because POM is injury prone :lol:

POM really shouldn't be putting his body on the line when playing if he wants the captaincy. Similarly with Sexton.

Cummiskey is clueless. Last year, he didn't know that Munster operated out of two training centres up to recently.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Absolutely no reason to suggest Rory isn't going to captain us next year. I thought he was superb this season and by some way our best hooker. Think he's a great leader. I think POM has made questionable calls during his tenure at Munster and he isn't guaranteed his place all being fit. Sexton's narkiness is just not helpful in terms of managing the ref, media work or even motivating his team at times. Post RWC we'll see who's around, it's fun to speculate but no need to even think about that call till then really. If Ryan is in the frame I think it would be helpful if he skippered Leinster first.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Flash Gordon wrote:

Absolutely no reason to suggest Rory isn't going to captain us next year. I thought he was superb this season and by some way our best hooker. Think he's a great leader. I think POM has made questionable calls during his tenure at Munster and he isn't guaranteed his place all being fit. Sexton's narkiness is just not helpful in terms of managing the ref, media work or even motivating his team at times. Post RWC we'll see who's around, it's fun to speculate but no need to even think about that call till then really. If Ryan is in the frame I think it would be helpful if he skippered Leinster first.
+1
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:

+1
Best is the best Captain but questionable if he is or will be the best hooker in 16 months time aged 37.

We need to use the next year to allow a new Captain settle in and be part of driving the squad onto the next level. Stand still and we go backwards.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

There’s no reason to demote Best, certainly not going into a RWC. We have senior players who can step up if he gets injured or his form falls off a cliff.