The Ireland 23 for RWC

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

The Ireland 23 for RWC

Postby backrower8 » June 25th, 2018, 4:32 pm

Assuming zero injuries I would like our 1st choice team at RWC to be:


Larmour
Earls
Ringrose
Henshaw
Stockdale
Sexton
Murray
Healy
Scannell
Furlong
Henderson - we lose a bit in line-out and a tiny bit in rucking but get a serious infusion of dynamism
Ryan
Stander - I prefer Seanie but feel so (too) much of our shape is built around Stander who is so reliable if limited as a distributor & runner
Leavy
Conan - like Henderson, he adds so much more footballing nous, which we will need to go to the next level. Our pack need to be able to create half breaks and such the ABs defence out of shape

Bench:
Jack
Cronin
Ryan/ Porter - needs to continue to attend tight-head srummaging finishing school
Beirne
SOB
McGrath
Carberry
Conway

Next Up:
Herring/ John Ryan/ Dev/ Jordi/ VDF/ Cooney/ Byrne/ Farrell
backrower8
Knowledgeable
 
Posts: 432
Joined: December 4th, 2006, 7:13 pm
Location: Blackrock

Re: The Ireland 23 for RWC

Postby betty swallocks » June 25th, 2018, 10:34 pm

I presume that's Tom Farrell on your next up?
betty swallocks
Beginner
 
Posts: 30
Joined: May 15th, 2017, 4:23 pm

Re: The Ireland 23 for RWC

Postby CiaranIrl » June 25th, 2018, 11:42 pm

backrower8 wrote:Assuming zero injuries I would like our 1st choice team at RWC to be:


Larmour
Earls
Ringrose
Henshaw
Stockdale
Sexton
Murray
Healy
Scannell
Furlong
Henderson - we lose a bit in line-out and a tiny bit in rucking but get a serious infusion of dynamism
Ryan
Stander - I prefer Seanie but feel so (too) much of our shape is built around Stander who is so reliable if limited as a distributor & runner
Leavy
Conan - like Henderson, he adds so much more footballing nous, which we will need to go to the next level. Our pack need to be able to create half breaks and such the ABs defence out of shape

Bench:
Jack
Cronin
Ryan/ Porter - needs to continue to attend tight-head srummaging finishing school
Beirne
SOB
McGrath
Carberry
Conway

Next Up:
Herring/ John Ryan/ Dev/ Jordi/ VDF/ Cooney/ Byrne/ Farrell


I don't know how you can justify dropping Kearney after the season he just had.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
User avatar
CiaranIrl
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3198
Joined: April 27th, 2009, 11:23 am
Location: Dun Laoghaire

Re: The Ireland 23 for RWC

Postby WarPoodle » June 26th, 2018, 12:29 am

backrower8 wrote:Assuming zero injuries I would like our 1st choice team at RWC to be:


Larmour
Earls
Ringrose
Henshaw
Stockdale
Sexton
Murray
Healy
Scannell
Furlong
Henderson - we lose a bit in line-out and a tiny bit in rucking but get a serious infusion of dynamism
Ryan
Stander - I prefer Seanie but feel so (too) much of our shape is built around Stander who is so reliable if limited as a distributor & runner
Leavy
Conan - like Henderson, he adds so much more footballing nous, which we will need to go to the next level. Our pack need to be able to create half breaks and such the ABs defence out of shape

Bench:
Jack
Cronin
Ryan/ Porter - needs to continue to attend tight-head srummaging finishing school
Beirne
SOB
McGrath
Carberry
Conway

Next Up:
Herring/ John Ryan/ Dev/ Jordi/ VDF/ Cooney/ Byrne/ Farrell



You've also dropped O'Mahony.. You don't even have him in the squad. Don't rate him?
WarPoodle
Learner
 
Posts: 65
Joined: November 24th, 2014, 1:15 pm

Re: The Ireland 23 for RWC

Postby bgmusic » June 26th, 2018, 12:52 am

Or Aki.
bgmusic
Knowledgeable
 
Posts: 439
Joined: March 30th, 2006, 8:16 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: The Ireland 23 for RWC

Postby paddyor » June 26th, 2018, 1:17 am

He did say his 23, not likely 23 tbf. In the same vein I'd go

Healy
Best
Furlong
Henderson
Ryan
POm
SOB
Stander
Murray
Sexton
Stockdale
Aki
Ringrose
Earls
Larmour

Cronin / Scannell (if Scannell can refind his form out of touch)
McGrath
Porter / Ryan (if Scannell can refind his form out of touch)
Toner / Beirne (not convinced he's big enough to play lock at this level just yet)
Leavy / Beirne
Cooney
Carbery
Henshaw

Think the starting 15 is fairly locked down bar maybe SOB for Leavy, but I reckon SOB will be straight back in there if he's fit.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
User avatar
paddyor
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3701
Joined: November 17th, 2012, 12:48 am

Re: The Ireland 23 for RWC

Postby betty swallocks » June 26th, 2018, 10:58 am

Maybe best to choose a 33 (am I correct that's the correct squad size) for the World Cup - which might look something like as follows:

Props - Healy, McGrath, Furlong, Porter, Jo Ryan.
Hookers - Best, Scannell, Herring.
Locks, Toner, Ja Ryan, Beirne, Henderson, Dillane or Roux.
Back Row - O'Mahony, Leavy, Stander, Conan, SOB, J Murphy.
Scrum Half - Murray, Marmion, Cooney.
Out Half - Sexton, Carbery.
Centres - Aki, Henshaw, Ringrose, C Farrell.
Back 3 - Kearney, Larmour, Earls, Conway, Stockdale.
betty swallocks
Beginner
 
Posts: 30
Joined: May 15th, 2017, 4:23 pm

Re: The Ireland 23 for RWC

Postby desperado » June 26th, 2018, 11:54 am

paddyor wrote:He did say his 23, not likely 23 tbf. In the same vein I'd go

Healy
Best
Furlong
Henderson
Ryan
POm
SOB
Stander
Murray
Sexton
Stockdale
Aki
Ringrose
Earls
Larmour

Cronin / Scannell (if Scannell can refind his form out of touch)
McGrath
Porter / Ryan (if Scannell can refind his form out of touch)
Toner / Beirne (not convinced he's big enough to play lock at this level just yet)
Leavy / Beirne
Cooney
Carbery
Henshaw

Think the starting 15 is fairly locked down bar maybe SOB for Leavy, but I reckon SOB will be straight back in there if he's fit.
No way is Aki ahead of Henshaw at 12, or I'll eat my hat with salt.
Last edited by desperado on November 18th, 2018, 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
desperado
Mullet
 
Posts: 1101
Joined: May 7th, 2009, 8:10 pm
Location: location location

Re: The Ireland 23 for RWC

Postby CiaranIrl » June 26th, 2018, 1:10 pm

betty swallocks wrote:Maybe best to choose a 33 (am I correct that's the correct squad size) for the World Cup - which might look something like as follows:

Props - Healy, McGrath, Furlong, Porter, Jo Ryan.
Hookers - Best, Scannell, Herring.
Locks, Toner, Ja Ryan, Beirne, Henderson, Dillane or Roux.
Back Row - O'Mahony, Leavy, Stander, Conan, SOB, J Murphy.
Scrum Half - Murray, Marmion, Cooney.
Out Half - Sexton, Carbery.
Centres - Aki, Henshaw, Ringrose, C Farrell.
Back 3 - Kearney, Larmour, Earls, Conway, Stockdale.


No, 31. Usually 18 + 13, but I'd be tempted to go 17 + 14 given we have a lot of flexibility in the loose forwards. I'd imagine something more like the below, but it's risky to not have a third out half. If Sexton pulled up in a warm up, you're screwed.

Props - Healy, McGrath, Furlong, Porter, Ryan
Hookers - Best, Scannell, Cronin
Locks, Toner, Ryan, Beirne, Henderson
Back Row - O'Mahony, Leavy, Stander, Conan, SOB, J Murphy
Scrum Half - Murray, McGrath, Cooney
Out Half - Sexton, Carbery
Centres - Aki, Henshaw, Ringrose
Back 3 - Kearney, Larmour, Earls, Conway, Stockdale
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
User avatar
CiaranIrl
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3198
Joined: April 27th, 2009, 11:23 am
Location: Dun Laoghaire

Re: The Ireland 23 for RWC

Postby leinsterforever » June 26th, 2018, 1:57 pm

CiaranIrl wrote:
betty swallocks wrote:Maybe best to choose a 33 (am I correct that's the correct squad size) for the World Cup - which might look something like as follows:

Props - Healy, McGrath, Furlong, Porter, Jo Ryan.
Hookers - Best, Scannell, Herring.
Locks, Toner, Ja Ryan, Beirne, Henderson, Dillane or Roux.
Back Row - O'Mahony, Leavy, Stander, Conan, SOB, J Murphy.
Scrum Half - Murray, Marmion, Cooney.
Out Half - Sexton, Carbery.
Centres - Aki, Henshaw, Ringrose, C Farrell.
Back 3 - Kearney, Larmour, Earls, Conway, Stockdale.


No, 31. Usually 18 + 13, but I'd be tempted to go 17 + 14 given we have a lot of flexibility in the loose forwards. I'd imagine something more like the below, but it's risky to not have a third out half. If Sexton pulled up in a warm up, you're screwed.

Props - Healy, McGrath, Furlong, Porter, Ryan
Hookers - Best, Scannell, Cronin
Locks, Toner, Ryan, Beirne, Henderson
Back Row - O'Mahony, Leavy, Stander, Conan, SOB, J Murphy
Scrum Half - Murray, McGrath, Cooney
Out Half - Sexton, Carbery
Centres - Aki, Henshaw, Ringrose
Back 3 - Kearney, Larmour, Earls, Conway, Stockdale


No way there'd only be five players across outhalf and centre. Lose a back five player from the forwards and add Ross Byrne, Chris Farrell or Rory Scannell
leinsterforever
Enlightened
 
Posts: 912
Joined: March 18th, 2015, 2:20 am

Re: The Ireland 23 for RWC

Postby backrower8 » June 28th, 2018, 8:01 pm

leinsterforever wrote:
CiaranIrl wrote:
betty swallocks wrote:Maybe best to choose a 33 (am I correct that's the correct squad size) for the World Cup - which might look something like as follows:

Props - Healy, McGrath, Furlong, Porter, Jo Ryan.
Hookers - Best, Scannell, Herring.
Locks, Toner, Ja Ryan, Beirne, Henderson, Dillane or Roux.
Back Row - O'Mahony, Leavy, Stander, Conan, SOB, J Murphy.
Scrum Half - Murray, Marmion, Cooney.
Out Half - Sexton, Carbery.
Centres - Aki, Henshaw, Ringrose, C Farrell.
Back 3 - Kearney, Larmour, Earls, Conway, Stockdale.


No, 31. Usually 18 + 13, but I'd be tempted to go 17 + 14 given we have a lot of flexibility in the loose forwards. I'd imagine something more like the below, but it's risky to not have a third out half. If Sexton pulled up in a warm up, you're screwed.

Props - Healy, McGrath, Furlong, Porter, Ryan
Hookers - Best, Scannell, Cronin
Locks, Toner, Ryan, Beirne, Henderson
Back Row - O'Mahony, Leavy, Stander, Conan, SOB, J Murphy
Scrum Half - Murray, McGrath, Cooney
Out Half - Sexton, Carbery
Centres - Aki, Henshaw, Ringrose
Back 3 - Kearney, Larmour, Earls, Conway, Stockdale


No way there'd only be five players across outhalf and centre. Lose a back five player from the forwards and add Ross Byrne, Chris Farrell or Rory Scannell


+1
backrower8
Knowledgeable
 
Posts: 432
Joined: December 4th, 2006, 7:13 pm
Location: Blackrock

Re: The Ireland 23 for RWC

Postby ronk » June 28th, 2018, 9:28 pm

Standard squad for RWC,
6 props
3 hookers
4 locks
5 backrows
=18 forwards

3 scrumhalves
3 outhalves
3 centers
4 back 3 players
= 13 players

Total 31.
Extra in 1 position is made up elsewhere. e.g. Rory Scannell travels as the 3rd choice 10 but plays center in a few matches, unlikely because Larmour can cover across and the 3 centers are good to be leaving out.

With 2 locks who can play backrow to a high level, there are opportunities but it’s an attritional position and you want to bring SOB and manage him if he’s fit. You also need specialist 7 (though POM has played at 7 recently). That means 2 from Leavy, vdF, Conan, Murphy.

If Cooney covers 3rd choice 10 or we go light a prop (risky) then there’s room for an extra, which probably means not having to choose between Conway or Larmour.
User avatar
ronk
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 9236
Joined: April 9th, 2009, 12:42 am

Re: The Ireland 23 for RWC

Postby leinsterforever » June 28th, 2018, 10:00 pm

ronk wrote:Standard squad for RWC,
6 props
3 hookers
4 locks
5 backrows
=18 forwards

3 scrumhalves
3 outhalves
3 centers
4 back 3 players
= 13 players

Total 31.
Extra in 1 position is made up elsewhere. e.g. Rory Scannell travels as the 3rd choice 10 but plays center in a few matches, unlikely because Larmour can cover across and the 3 centers are good to be leaving out.

With 2 locks who can play backrow to a high level, there are opportunities but it’s an attritional position and you want to bring SOB and manage him if he’s fit. You also need specialist 7 (though POM has played at 7 recently). That means 2 from Leavy, vdF, Conan, Murphy.

If Cooney covers 3rd choice 10 or we go light a prop (risky) then there’s room for an extra, which probably means not having to choose between Conway or Larmour.


It was only five props last time out, which is what I'd go for. You'd be very light on centres and back three players if there were only 7 taken.

Might be useful to play whichever one of Ryan and Porter will be the designated versatile prop at loosehead against Italy or the USA this November though - just to give it the once over, like
leinsterforever
Enlightened
 
Posts: 912
Joined: March 18th, 2015, 2:20 am

Re: The Ireland 23 for RWC

Postby dropkick » June 28th, 2018, 10:13 pm

leinsterforever wrote:
ronk wrote:Standard squad for RWC,
6 props
3 hookers
4 locks
5 backrows
=18 forwards

3 scrumhalves
3 outhalves
3 centers
4 back 3 players
= 13 players

Total 31.
Extra in 1 position is made up elsewhere. e.g. Rory Scannell travels as the 3rd choice 10 but plays center in a few matches, unlikely because Larmour can cover across and the 3 centers are good to be leaving out.

With 2 locks who can play backrow to a high level, there are opportunities but it’s an attritional position and you want to bring SOB and manage him if he’s fit. You also need specialist 7 (though POM has played at 7 recently). That means 2 from Leavy, vdF, Conan, Murphy.

If Cooney covers 3rd choice 10 or we go light a prop (risky) then there’s room for an extra, which probably means not having to choose between Conway or Larmour.


It was only five props last time out, which is what I'd go for. You'd be very light on centres and back three players if there were only 7 taken.

Might be useful to play whichever one of Ryan and Porter will be the designated versatile prop at loosehead against Italy or the USA this November though - just to give it the once over, like



Ryan or Porter could easily slot over to loose head against the minnows during the world cup. That would allow the 2 looseheads a break and a more even spread of games among the 5 props.
User avatar
dropkick
Mullet
 
Posts: 1389
Joined: January 2nd, 2007, 1:27 am
Location: Cork

Re: The Ireland 23 for RWC

Postby ronk » June 28th, 2018, 10:45 pm

It’s possible, but last time there was Nathan White and Furlong got in ahead of Bent. Ross was always gonna do loads of minutes.

Healy and McGrath rotated. Furlong will need to be more careful with minutes than Ross was.
User avatar
ronk
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 9236
Joined: April 9th, 2009, 12:42 am

Re: The Ireland 23 for RWC

Postby neilinboston » June 29th, 2018, 2:17 am

Healy
Best
Furlong
Ryan
Toner
Beirne
Leavy
Sob

(Back row not going to happen but the level of mayhem those three could inflict would be fun)

Murray
Sexton
Stockdale
Henshaw
Ringrose
Earls
Larmour
neilinboston
Knowledgeable
 
Posts: 479
Joined: October 9th, 2010, 3:14 pm
Location: Boston

Re: The Ireland 23 for RWC

Postby paddyor » July 1st, 2018, 6:01 pm

desperado wrote:
paddyor wrote:He did say his 23, not likely 23 tbf. In the same vein I'd go

Healy
Best
Furlong
Henderson
Ryan
POm
SOB
Stander
Murray
Sexton
Stockdale
Aki
Ringrose
Earls
Larmour

Cronin / Scannell (if Scannell can refind his form out of touch)
McGrath
Porter / Ryan (if Scannell can refind his form out of touch)
Toner / Beirne (not convinced he's big enough to play lock at this level just yet)
Leavy / Beirne
Cooney
Carbery
Henshaw

Think the starting 15 is fairly locked down bar maybe SOB for Leavy, but I reckon SOB will be straight back in there if he's fit.
No way is Aki ahead of Ringrose at 12, or I'll eat my hat with salt.

He is yeah. Even if ringgrose is a 13
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
User avatar
paddyor
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3701
Joined: November 17th, 2012, 12:48 am

Re: The Ireland 23 for RWC

Postby Ruckedtobits » November 18th, 2018, 11:09 pm

ronk wrote:Standard squad for RWC,
6 props
3 hookers
4 locks
5 backrows
=18 forwards

3 scrumhalves
3 outhalves
3 centers
4 back 3 players
= 13 players

Total 31.
Extra in 1 position is made up elsewhere. e.g. Rory Scannell travels as the 3rd choice 10 but plays center in a few matches, unlikely because Larmour can cover across and the 3 centers are good to be leaving out.

With 2 locks who can play backrow to a high level, there are opportunities but it’s an attritional position and you want to bring SOB and manage him if he’s fit. You also need specialist 7 (though POM has played at 7 recently). That means 2 from Leavy, vdF, Conan, Murphy.

If Cooney covers 3rd choice 10 or we go light a prop (risky) then there’s room for an extra, which probably means not having to choose between Conway or Larmour.


Now, there's a topic worthy of resurrection, or maybe just reconsideration. Will publish the annual Depth Chart as at December 1st, post AIs.

Certainly from where I'm sitting now, the depth and calibre is astonishing and I'm convinced that yesterday's performance will only push standards higher. Right across the four Provinces there are guys who are thinking "I can do that, and if I focus more on my concentration and 'work-ons', I can get into Joe's RWC Squad.

Keep a close eye on the below the radar invitees to Joe's Squad sessions. The man does nothing without planing a possible outcome. He has now created an environment where no suggestion to a Provincial Head Coach could be turned down. I suspect we might see a couple of interesting Provincial selections in the next couple of months as he works to get his best 31 players game-time, in positions where he might have to use them in RWC19.
Ruckedtobits
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3679
Joined: April 10th, 2011, 10:23 am

Re: The Ireland 23 for RWC

Postby RAILWAY1 » November 19th, 2018, 12:21 am

One of the big questions will have to be can Joe Schmidt take a chance on Sean O'Brien being healthy and match fit for the World Cup. Personally I think he may HAVE TO go with Leavy and VdF to cover 7 given the attritional nature of the world cup
RAILWAY1
Learner
 
Posts: 82
Joined: February 5th, 2017, 1:41 am

Re: The Ireland 23 for RWC

Postby artaneboy » November 19th, 2018, 12:27 am

RAILWAY1 wrote:One of the big questions will have to be can Joe Schmidt take a chance on Sean O'Brien being healthy and match fit for the World Cup. Personally I think he may HAVE TO go with Leavy and VdF to cover 7 given the attritional nature of the world cup


Seanie broke his arm. It’s not a recurrence of an old injury. There absolutely no reason to think that his arm won’t be fine in a few months.

Now whether he’s in good enough form to get the nod from Joe is another thing. My guess is that he will give him every chance. Among other reasons- Sean has the advantage of being able to play at a high level in all three back row positions. That’s a very useful attribute in a tour squad.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
User avatar
artaneboy
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3171
Joined: January 25th, 2011, 8:46 pm
Location: closer than you think...

Next

Return to International Rugby

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest