Ireland 2018/2019

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Barry
Enlightened

Re: Ireland 2018/2019

Post by Barry »

Dave Cahill wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:So perhaps Cronin didn't beat up the other passengers and hijack the flight home from Australia.
:lol:
Heard the above Cronin rumor from the same "impeccable" source as a fairly far-fetched explanation for Murray’s absence – as of this afternoon, I can discount both.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

To be honest, I used to be divided as to who was worse, the f%~king eejit who makes up the rumour or the f%~king eejit who spreads it. After years of contemplation I have decided that it is the later f%~king eejit, because the former f%~king eejit has at least utilised some creativity.
I have Bumbleflex
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Its a really boring squad - there is absolutely nothing to get outraged about. How are we going to claim that Joe favours Leinster/Munster/Connacht/Ulster over Ulster/Connacht/Munster/Leinster if he goes about picking squads like that where. by and large, the players who should be there are there? Can we get any traction on England's Mike Haley being left out maybe? Or perhaps he should have picked, I dunno, Ryan Baird or Paul Boyle or someone. Joe out - Angus in, anybody?

Sheesh.
I have Bumbleflex
John23
Enlightened

Post by John23 »

No Dillane!. Justice for Ultan.
“Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue.”
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Running through the absentees of guys who've been in previous squads or might not be that far off and are fit...

LH: Cronin
Hooker: Tracy
TH: Moore
SR: Dillane
BR: ?
SH: ?
OH: Carty, Keatley
Centre: Scannell, Tom Farrell, ROL
Wings: Gilroy, Adam Byrne, DK
FB: TOH

There's actually more quality there than I thought. Don't think anyone is hard done by but I do feel for someone like TOH who can't even make such a large squad.

Forgot about Marty when I saw the squad earlier but I did wonder if he might sneak in. I would have been very tempted to bring him in and leave John Ryan out. Admittedly it's based on very little game time but I've been quite impressed with him around the pitch. The Ulster scrum hasn't been good but tbh I haven't been paying enough attention to know if Marty was to blame or not.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Dave Cahill wrote:To be honest, I used to be divided as to who was worse, the f%~king eejit who makes up the rumour or the f%~king eejit who spreads it. After years of contemplation I have decided that it is the later f%~king eejit, because the former f%~king eejit has at least utilised some creativity.
:roll:
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

Don't know what Sweetnam has done to deserve a place; then again who's left out that's better. Think LH Cronin is unlucky; he''s a bigger better pain in the ass than "Killer'' .
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Anyone pointed out how many tries Zebo has scored.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by LeRouxIsPHat

Good to see McCloskey back in. No other big surprises from what I can see at first glance.
Surprised that McCloskey got in, really didn't think Joe rated him. Thought that Joe might have taken a chance on one of the Connacht hookers like Heffernan or Delahunt but the four guys deserve their places. It's tough on Dillane as well. As for Tom Farrell I'm not sure Joe rates him defencively. Leinster didn't so why would Joe. The only surpise in the squad for me is Sweetnam but then agaian I haven't watched Munster much this season. Really looking forward to the November Internationals now
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Dave Cahill wrote:Its a really boring squad - there is absolutely nothing to get outraged about. How are we going to claim that Joe favours Leinster/Munster/Connacht/Ulster over Ulster/Connacht/Munster/Leinster if he goes about picking squads like that where. by and large, the players who should be there are there? Can we get any traction on England's Mike Haley being left out maybe? Or perhaps he should have picked, I dunno, Ryan Baird or Paul Boyle or someone. Joe out - Angus in, anybody?

Sheesh.
Ah I'm sure some will be outraged over Zebo's omission. Especially after he pwned Lowry.
Experimental
Knowledgeable

Post by Experimental »

Would agree on Sweets, not sure what hes done to deserve a place, i think Healy has been playing better, Quinn Roux also, i dont think hes done too much really. Would have liked to see more youth being injected. Ulster pair Adam McBurney and Lowry should have been included imo. Hopefully they will get game time in the 6n. Not surprised McCloskey is in there, hes played pretty well.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Game v Italy may be about experimental pairings e.g.:

* McCloskey & Addison, playing outside:
* Cooney & Carbury.

* Jack McGrath & Bealham with:
* Roux & Toner to drive a strong scrum with Herring as Hooker.

* Back three of Kearney, Sweetnam & Larmour so that young wingers can learn.
* Back-row of Leavy, Ruddock & Conan to increase continuity & physicality.

This starting XV will sent out a message re the required pack effort and back-line control of the ball. It would also send back a message to remai.der of the Squad that you have to grasp every opportunity
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Experimental wrote:Would agree on Sweets, not sure what hes done to deserve a place, i think Healy has been playing better, Quinn Roux also, i dont think hes done too much really. Would have liked to see more youth being injected. Ulster pair Adam McBurney and Lowry should have been included imo. Hopefully they will get game time in the 6n. Not surprised McCloskey is in there, hes played pretty well.
Ah, you know what "Red Joe" is like.... :wink:
Dont Panic!
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Dexter wrote:
Experimental wrote:Would agree on Sweets, not sure what hes done to deserve a place, i think Healy has been playing better, Quinn Roux also, i dont think hes done too much really. Would have liked to see more youth being injected. Ulster pair Adam McBurney and Lowry should have been included imo. Hopefully they will get game time in the 6n. Not surprised McCloskey is in there, hes played pretty well.
Ah, you know what "Red Joe" is like.... :wink:
Schtalin
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
betty swallocks
Bookworm

Post by betty swallocks »

Possible line up for the test against Italy.
1 Kilcoyne.
2 Herring.
3 Bealham.
4 Toner.
5 Beirne.
6 Ruddock.
7 van der Flier.
8 Conan.
9 L McGrath.
10 Carbery.
11 Stockdale.
12 McCloskey.
13 Ringrose.
14 Sweetnam.
15 Larmour.

16 Cronin.
17 Healy.
18 John Ryan.
19 Roux.
20 Jordi Murphy.
21 Cooney.
22 Ross Byrne.
23 Addison.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

betty swallocks wrote:Possible line up for the test against Italy.
1 Kilcoyne.
2 Herring.
3 Bealham.
4 Toner.
5 Beirne.
6 Ruddock.
7 van der Flier.
8 Conan.
9 L McGrath.
10 Carbery.
11 Stockdale.
12 McCloskey.
13 Ringrose.
14 Sweetnam.
15 Larmour.

16 Cronin.
17 Healy.
18 John Ryan.
19 Roux.
20 Jordi Murphy.
21 Cooney.
22 Ross Byrne.
23 Addison.
Scratch Addison from that Squad after his defensive performance tonight against Dragons. Also remove Kilcoyne from starting XV. Against Italy, our scrum and line-out must dominate not give away penalties. Finally I don't see Larmour playing at No 15 until he learns more about the position, based on his display against Toulouse where smart tactical plays of short kicks from 12 & 13 showed his positional deficencies. Not sure who to put there other than Rob K at the moment but its a headache Joe S doesn't need right now.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

I would say anyone who's in line to play against Argentina won't start against Italy, with the possible exception of guys who need game time (Leavy, SOB, J.McGrath etc). We might also need to have a few guys who will play against Argentina on the bench for Italy, purely based on numbers.

1.J.McGrath 2.N.Scannell 3.Jo.Ryan

4.Roux 5.Beirne

6.Ruddock 8.Conan 7.VDF

9.L.McGrath 10.Carbery 12.Aki/McCloskey 13.Arnold/Aki 14.Conway

11.Sweetnam 15.Larmour

16.Herring 17.Kilcoyne 18.Bealham 19.Henderson 20.Jor.Murphy 21.Marmion (I think Cooney will start vs Argentina) 22.R.Byrne 23.Addison (utility back)

I would back to beat the Italy team Conor O'Shea selected by a 20+ points.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

neiliog93 wrote:I would say anyone who's in line to play against Argentina won't start against Italy, with the possible exception of guys who need game time (Leavy, SOB, J.McGrath etc). We might also need to have a few guys who will play against Argentina on the bench for Italy, purely based on numbers.

4.Roux 5.Beirne

6.Ruddock 8.Conan 7.VDF

11.Sweetnam 15.Larmour

16.Herring 17.Kilcoyne 18.Bealham 19.Henderson 20.Jor.Murphy 21.Marmion (I think Cooney will start vs Argentina) 22.R.Byrne 23.Addison (utility back)

Henserson ahead of Roux for line-out ball. Bealham ahead of Ryan for scrum and carrying. Jordi ahead of Ruddock for carrying and line-out. Conway at full-back with Larmour to wing. McCloskey and Addison or Aki at 12 & 13. Marmion or Cooney to start as JS will want either (or both) to get game time with Carbery.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

neiliog93 wrote:I would say anyone who's in line to play against Argentina won't start against Italy, with the possible exception of guys who need game time (Leavy, SOB, J.McGrath etc). We might also need to have a few guys who will play against Argentina on the bench for Italy, purely based on numbers.

4.Roux 5.Beirne

6.Ruddock 8.Conan 7.VDF

11.Sweetnam 15.Larmour

Sammy Arnold went off with concussion yesterday. Don't think we'll see him until the USA match.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

26 Man Squad for the Italy Game:

Forwards (15):
Finlay Bealham, Tadhg Beirne, Jack Conan, Sean Cronin, Tadhg Furlong, Dave Kilcoyne, Jack McGrath, Jordi Murphy, Andrew Porter, Quinn Roux, Rhys Ruddock, James Ryan, Niall Scannell, Devin Toner, Josh van der Flier

Backs (11):
Will Addison, Bundee Aki, Ross Byrne, Joey Carbery, Andrew Conway, John Cooney, Jordan Larmour, Luke McGrath, Garry Ringrose, Jacob Stockdale, Darren Sweetnam