SH: Cooney, McGrath.
FH: Carbery, Byrne
C: Addison, Aki, Ringrose
B3: Larmour, Stockdale, Sweetnam, Conway
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Ireland 2018/2019

Post by neill_m »

Roux, Bealham and Sweetnam to miss out on the 23 then?
betty swallocks
Bookworm

Post by betty swallocks »

I don't think so neill_m. I suspect Furlong is along for injury coverage purposes only and will start against Argentina, understudied there by John Ryan. I think you're right about Roux and Sweetnam not making the Chicago 23.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

betty swallocks wrote:I don't think so neill_m. I suspect Furlong is along for injury coverage purposes only and will start against Argentina, understudied there by John Ryan. I think you're right about Roux and Sweetnam not making the Chicago 23.
John Ryan and Sammy Arnold have gone to South Africa for Munster's match against the Cheetahs on Sunday. Would be surprised, therefore, if Ryan was to feature against Argentina only six days later.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Laighin Break wrote:Copied (and updated) from a comment on The42:

THP: Bealham, Furlong, Porter.
H: Cronin, Scannell.
LHP: Kilcoyne, McGrath.
SR: Beirne, Roux, Toner, Ryan.
BR: Conan, Murphy, Ruddock, VDFlier.
I'd like to see the following team:
15. Conway.
14. Larmour.
13. Ringrose.
12. Bundee.
11. Stockdale.
10 Carbery.
9. Cooney.
1. McGrath
2. Scannell.
3. Bealham.
4. Roux.
5. Toner.
6. Beirne.
7. Josh VdF.
8. Conan.
Bench: Kilcoyne, Cronin, Porter, Ryan, Ruddock, McGrath, Byrne, Addison.

Playing any Italian team you need to win set-piece possession to get enough ball to see what the halves & Mid-field can do with it.

Cooney & McGrath clearly scapping for 3rd slot behind Marmion. Cooney hasn't played with Carbery but McGrath has in Leinster. Bealham is going gang-busters in the scrum at present and looks v fit. Porter needs to carry more and focus on his scrum work. Joe won't get many chances to see Beirne at No 6 with PO'M having Munster Captain's armband.

IMO, Beirne will not get ahead of Henderson, Ryan or Toner in the row, but could wear No 20 jersey. Josh to shade Jordi but it could be other way around. Rhys might be picked to Captain but too good an opportunity to see Beirne at No6, winning turnovers and carrying in mid-field. Ringrose to start with Bundee but Addison to get a run alongside Bundee before they finish.
mfjoc
Graduate

Post by mfjoc »

Rhys will captain the team
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Italy game will be on YouTube.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

blockhead wrote:Italy game will be on YouTube.
Don't panic. It's on the telly too
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
Laighin Break wrote:Copied (and updated) from a comment on The42:

THP: Bealham, Furlong, Porter.
H: Cronin, Scannell.
LHP: Kilcoyne, McGrath.
SR: Beirne, Roux, Toner, Ryan.
BR: Conan, Murphy, Ruddock, VDFlier.
I'd like to see the following team:
15. Conway.
14. Larmour.
13. Ringrose.
12. Bundee.
11. Stockdale.
10 Carbery.
9. Cooney.
1. McGrath
2. Scannell.
3. Bealham.
4. Roux.
5. Toner.
6. Beirne.
7. Josh VdF.
8. Conan.
Bench: Kilcoyne, Cronin, Porter, Ryan, Ruddock, McGrath, Byrne, Addison.

Playing any Italian team you need to win set-piece possession to get enough ball to see what the halves & Mid-field can do with it.

Cooney & McGrath clearly scapping for 3rd slot behind Marmion. Cooney hasn't played with Carbery but McGrath has in Leinster. Bealham is going gang-busters in the scrum at present and looks v fit. Porter needs to carry more and focus on his scrum work. Joe won't get many chances to see Beirne at No 6 with PO'M having Munster Captain's armband.

IMO, Beirne will not get ahead of Henderson, Ryan or Toner in the row, but could wear No 20 jersey. Josh to shade Jordi but it could be other way around. Rhys might be picked to Captain but too good an opportunity to see Beirne at No6, winning turnovers and carrying in mid-field. Ringrose to start with Bundee but Addison to get a run alongside Bundee before they finish.
I'd make two changes for your starting 15.
Swop Conway and Larmour.
Replace Bundee with Aki for consistency.
Last edited by Oldschool on October 30th, 2018, 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

I'd like to see Addison start at 15. Conway is solid there but Addison looks like he has the ability to unlock defences and act as a second playmaker. We need a rival for Kearney.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

dropkick wrote:I'd like to see Addison start at 15. Conway is solid there but Addison looks like he has the ability to unlock defences and act as a second playmaker. We need a rival for Kearney.
+1
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

dropkick wrote:I'd like to see Addison start at 15. Conway is solid there but Addison looks like he has the ability to unlock defences and act as a second playmaker. We need a rival for Kearney.
Certainly a possibility, but maybe too much to learn in such a short period - new team-mates, new position, new responsibilities. If JS wants to get his best, and most familiar, players on the pitch together, and if he reckons Larmour has too much to learn at 15 in the short-term, Conway, Larmour & Stockdale look like the best combination.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I'm the opposite, think we should be getting Conway or Larmour to play there as much as possible so that we're prepared for when Rob isn't around. I know Addison's versatility puts him in the mix for the WC but I just see too many issues in his game to think that he should be ahead of those guys or even Joey who I'd like to see there even though I know it's unlikely.

His defence was dreadful the other day and he really drives me mad after he makes a break. Already said this in another thread but he blew two breaks against Racing pretty much because he wanted to show off with a pass out the back and an unnecessary hitch kick, and then he did again at the weekend. Everyone else just praised his run to set up the try but to my mind he took too much out of the ball and should have just fixed the first defender and passed inside to Shanahan instead of taking the defender on the outside and running away from his support. He's skillful and has good feet so it worked out for him in the end, but let's face it it was against the Dragons. Maybe Joe can beat that out of him and iron out the other kinks but I just don't have the confidence in him that others do.

If Rob is out for November then I'd start Conway in the next three games and then Larmour against the US. I'd also try and get Joey to play fullback for the last quarter of any game Ross Byrne is involved in but don't actually think there's any chance of it happening. I'll never forget Joey's performance against Wasps last year and think it's a real shame that Joe doesn't seem to be interested in him playing there, particularly when we've clearly lacked a second playmaker at times and replacing Rob with him is such an obvious change to make if we need a spark.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by Oldschool

Replace Bundee with Aki for consistency.
I'll have a word with both of them.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

So Murray has been in Carton House this week and Rob could be fit for the Argentina game.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

johng wrote:
The broadcast on Eir Sport's Youtube and Facebook platforms is FTA, whereas you actually need Eir Sports to watch it on the telly box.
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

neill_m wrote:
johng wrote:
The broadcast on Eir Sport's Youtube and Facebook platforms is FTA, whereas you actually need Eir Sports to watch it on the telly box.
Anyone know if the Youtube/FB broadcast is Ireland only or global?
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Edit: Scrap that channel 4 comment, it seems that the other three games are on it but not the Italy one. Apologies!
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

The Youtube/FB broadcast is Ireland only.
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

neill_m wrote:The Youtube/FB broadcast is Ireland only.
Cheers