Ireland 2018/2019

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

outcast eddie
Mullet

Re: Ireland 2018/2019

Post by outcast eddie »

Oldschool wrote:Our lineout came under pressure in the last 15mins.
JS needs to have a good look at this.
Substituting Best, Toner and POM more or less at the same time had a huge impact on our lineout effectiveness. Maybe not the smartest move ever and it coincided with NZ only real period of dominance.
Other teams will notice this fact too
The Ireland scrum also deteriorated with the introduction of the bench.
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I think the lineout was getting creaky even when those were still on. Toner was running out of gas in particular and bringing Hendo on was the right call imo.

The only worry for me from yesterday is Best. Much better performance albeit, but he still looks like a man tiring with age.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Two other things:

James Ryan is from another world.

And that POM run back was probably the moment of the game. He brought the pashun there.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Marmion was excellent. The pressure on him must have been huge. The "who is the 2nd 9" debate is settled.
Barnes let us off for a couple of things, POMs steal at one of the breakdowns should have gone the to NZ, thought so at the time.
Kearney collision for a high ball, stonewall yellow in the current climate could have even seen red. Barnes would'nt even look at it again.
Overall though the game was very clean and honest.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

blockhead wrote:Marmion was excellent. The pressure on him must have been huge. The "who is the 2nd 9" debate is settled.
Barnes let us off for a couple of things, POMs steal at one of the breakdowns should have gone the to NZ, thought so at the time.
Kearney collision for a high ball, stonewall yellow in the current climate could have even seen red. Barnes would'nt even look at it again.
There was one turnover in the NZ 22 were the player who made the tackle was holding the ball in though so these things even out.

Yeah thought Kearney got lucky there.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

blockhead wrote:Marmion was excellent. The pressure on him must have been huge. The "who is the 2nd 9" debate is settled.
Yeah, but they should really have seen a yellow too for the cynical penalties on the line in the first half. We very deservedly won. We had all the attacking play really.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

What a game, was hoping for a great contest and it really was brilliant regardless of the low score, and the atmosphere was amazing as well, just a brilliant occasion.

I'd love to know what the ball in play time was, it seemed like passages of play went on for minutes at a time and that the set piece didn't exist. I don't think I've ever seen subs looking so tired as they went off.

I was unbelievably impressed with how organised we were on both sides of the ball. When we had the ball we nearly always had the right numbers of players to resource the ruck (although I was surprised NZ didn't compete a bit more there) and our clearouts were absolutely perfect for the most part. Then defensively we very rarely looked stretched or short of numbers. Aside from POM's desperate dive our scramble defence actually looked really well organised as opposed to being frantic, and really there was only that incident, the Read charge down, and Rob's intercept that made me think NZ were going to score a try, thought we looked really comfortable apart from those. Given that they average over five tries a game and we got over the line three times I think that shows how much we dominated.

I was wondering how many penalties we conceded so thanks to whoever mentioned the number above, that's a ridiculously impressive number given the pressure we were under at times. I'm struggling to think of a game where we've been under such pressure and yet looked so comfortable.

Everyone played well so hard to single anyone out but I thought our backrow was exceptional. POM came up with some huge moments and hard to argue with him being MOTM but I thought Stander and VDF were our best players given that they did it for the full 80. It was as if they were having a personal duel to see who could work harder for the 80 minutes. Stander was a complete nuisance for NZ at the breakdown, seemed to slow down their ball all day long, and how he managed to sprint the whole way across the pitch at HT is beyond me. Josh may not have the standout moments that Leavy does but his carrying was still excellent at times and the way he robbed the ball from Ioane after we'd lost it down the right hand side was crucial. Healy and Furlong were freakish too and it makes no sense that Furlong could stay on as long as he did.

Best made a few bad errors but he was much better than last week, hopefully he can keep it up.

NZ have problems but I've no doubt they can fix them before the World Cup...bring it on!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

CiaranIrl wrote:
Yeah, but they should really have seen a yellow too for the cynical penalties on the line in the first half. We very deservedly won. We had all the attacking play really.
And Whitelock should have been sent off for his hit on Healy.
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Post by Fan with smartphone »

Whitelock could have seen yellow too with the knockdown or for a cynical hold when already on penalty advantage in the first half. That, plus the fact Barnes stopped refereeing Savea at the breakdown for a good bit just prior to Kearney incident probably saved Kearney, because he should’ve walked on at least a yellow there. I liked how little we complained overall. Stander made no meal of the high tackle and we were just there to play tough, hard ball. So were they to be fair, but our ability to keep our discipline at high pressure is what is separating those sides more than anything else at the minute.

We maybe over celebrated winning those 2 lineout chances to kill it and didn’t see those through. Oldschool right to highlight that. Wouldn’t put that on personnel changes - Toner and O’Mahony had to go, their race was absolutely run. It was probably run 5 minutes earlier in O’Mahonys case but he kept on making plays! The misdirection in our lineout in early exchanges was superb but it was just hard to maintain that I think.

The best moment for me was when JVDF, just, scragged Barrett. This was our 3rd choice 7, but nobody else could’ve made that tackle. A try saver and a match winner.

The two big decisions we have to make are on Best and Kearney. Will they still be as good as that next season? They could both do it, or neither. I’d want to give them both every chance, they have certainly earned that. But we will need to prepare for both eventualities. Either way, standing still won’t be an option and to help bring us back down to earth, we have the worst possible World Cup draw. But no team is going to be delighted having to face us.
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Post by Fan with smartphone »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:What a game, was hoping for a great contest and it really was brilliant regardless of the low score, and the atmosphere was amazing as well, just a brilliant occasion.

I'd love to know what the ball in play time was, it seemed like passages of play went on for minutes at a time and that the set piece didn't exist. I don't think I've ever seen subs looking so tired as they went off.

I was unbelievably impressed with how organised we were on both sides of the ball. When we had the ball we nearly always had the right numbers of players to resource the ruck (although I was surprised NZ didn't compete a bit more there) and our clearouts were absolutely perfect for the most part. Then defensively we very rarely looked stretched or short of numbers. Aside from POM's desperate dive our scramble defence actually looked really well organised as opposed to being frantic, and really there was only that incident, the Read charge down, and Rob's intercept that made me think NZ were going to score a try, thought we looked really comfortable apart from those. Given that they average over five tries a game and we got over the line three times I think that shows how much we dominated.

I was wondering how many penalties we conceded so thanks to whoever mentioned the number above, that's a ridiculously impressive number given the pressure we were under at times. I'm struggling to think of a game where we've been under such pressure and yet looked so comfortable.

Everyone played well so hard to single anyone out but I thought our backrow was exceptional. POM came up with some huge moments and hard to argue with him being MOTM but I thought Stander and VDF were our best players given that they did it for the full 80. It was as if they were having a personal duel to see who could work harder for the 80 minutes. Stander was a complete nuisance for NZ at the breakdown, seemed to slow down their ball all day long, and how he managed to sprint the whole way across the pitch at HT is beyond me. Josh may not have the standout moments that Leavy does but his carrying was still excellent at times and the way he robbed the ball from Ioane after we'd lost it down the right hand side was crucial. Healy and Furlong were freakish too and it makes no sense that Furlong could stay on as long as he did.

Best made a few bad errors but he was much better than last week, hopefully he can keep it up.

NZ have problems but I've no doubt they can fix them before the World Cup...bring it on!
+1
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Well done to the entire group and to their vital team-mates Confidence and Belief. This was a game in which every Irish player contributed in an important way and nobody who came off the bench caused any flutters about their ability to contribute.

I've rarely seen our replaced players look more emptied as they left the pitch. They all played with huge intensity. We now do really have strength in depth and I was delighted with Marmion and McGrath as replacements for the "irreplaceable" Conor Murray. He is a player beyond comparison but no longer irreplaceable.

PO'M was awesome tonight. Four or five superb interventions and whilst his ball carrying will never be a strength, his ability to turnover at the breakdown is right at the highest level.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Fan with smartphone wrote:.

The two big decisions we have to make are on Best and Kearney. Will they still be as good as that next season? They could both do it, or neither. I’d want to give them both every chance, they have certainly earned that. But we will need to prepare for both eventualities. Either way, standing still won’t be an option and to help bring us back down to earth, we have the worst possible World Cup draw. But no team is going to be delighted having to face us.
No reason to do extra prep for them over other position. Alternatives are mature enough mostly. Larmour some fullback time. There's always the break glass option of Zebo anyway.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:And Whitelock should have been sent off for his hit on Healy.
Yah saw it straight away. 4:03 on the clock and Barnes shouted that the "clearout was legal". It was shoulder straight to Healy's head, about 2 foot off the ground. Was waiting for the TMO to say something cause that was a shocker.

Kearney's too, its a flat yellow, unless the refs have been allowed to consider intent which I dont think they are meant too.

Edit: There is it. I dont know how to embed the gif, can a mod fix, or instruct me on what to do :)

https://giphy.com/embed/1AheuKhNBmywNMiqhy
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Only NH team to hold NZ tryless since 1995. That is some stat.
If it's true of course, just read it somewhere.

What about that forward pass call against us in the 2nd half? Oddest call I've seen in a while.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

I think Kearney was helped by the traffic he had to navigate through and the subsequent angle they came together.

Plus the fall wasnt too bad.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

blockhead wrote:Only NH team to hold NZ tryless since 1995. That is some stat.

What about that forward pass call against us in the 2nd half? Oddest call I've seen in a while.
That forward pass call was very, very odd
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

blockhead wrote:Only NH team* to hold NZ tryless since 1995. That is some stat.

*Excluding the Lions
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Laighin Break wrote:
blockhead wrote:Only NH team* to hold NZ tryless since 1995. That is some stat.

*Excluding the Lions
Just about to add the 21-24 loss to Warren G's Lions
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Fan with smartphone wrote:
Whitelock could have seen yellow too with the knockdown or for a cynical hold when already on penalty advantage in the first half. That, plus the fact Barnes stopped refereeing Savea at the breakdown for a good bit just prior to Kearney incident probably saved Kearney, because he should’ve walked on at least a yellow there. I liked how little we complained overall. Stander made no meal of the high tackle and we were just there to play tough, hard ball. So were they to be fair, but our ability to keep our discipline at high pressure is what is separating those sides more than anything else at the minute.

We maybe over celebrated winning those 2 lineout chances to kill it and didn’t see those through. Oldschool right to highlight that. Wouldn’t put that on personnel changes - Toner and O’Mahony had to go, their race was absolutely run. It was probably run 5 minutes earlier in O’Mahonys case but he kept on making plays! The misdirection in our lineout in early exchanges was superb but it was just hard to maintain that I think.

The best moment for me was when JVDF, just, scragged Barrett. This was our 3rd choice 7, but nobody else could’ve made that tackle. A try saver and a match winner.

Not sure about Josh being our 3rd choice 7!!! But for injury I think he might have been a starting Lion in New Zealand. He was my man of the match on Saturday, there's going to be some sh!t fight for back row positioning in the coming years! Luckily these days, you pretty much need 2 starting international backrows (as you do props) as it's such an attritional position.

Immense performances from all 3 backrowers, locks and props.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

wixfjord wrote:I think the lineout was getting creaky even when those were still on. Toner was running out of gas in particular and bringing Hendo on was the right call imo.

The only worry for me from yesterday is Best. Much better performance albeit, but he still looks like a man tiring with age.
My comment re the lineout was an observation not a critism. Joe had to make those substitutions as you say..
On the lineout NZ, on Ireland's ball closed the gap.
Every NZ lineout player took a step towards our lineout IN UNISON before the ball was thrown in.
Watch just on the 14min in first half where it's very obvious.
As far as I'm aware that's a penalty.
It happened more than once.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.