Ireland 2018/2019

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Re: Ireland 2018/2019

Post by artaneboy »

CiaranIrl wrote:Sweernam, Mcloskey & Arnold needed a performance for the ages to force their way in, and they didn't come with an arses roar of it.

Cooney, Scannell & Henderson won't have an easy review session either.
There’s no “way in” yet. Bar the first team and one or two of that team, Joe has no firm views on most people yet. There will be a whole series of gates and opportunities for people before next autumn and the selection of the squad. Injuries, form, balance will all vary over the next nine months. And Joe will change his mind on several of them as it unwraps. There will probably be bolsters we don’t rate in there. The politics of the last match is always attractive- but it’s very early days yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

artaneboy wrote:
CiaranIrl wrote:Sweernam, Mcloskey & Arnold needed a performance for the ages to force their way in, and they didn't come with an arses roar of it.

There’s no “way in” yet. Bar the first team and one or two of that team, Joe has no firm views on most people yet. There will be a whole series of gates and opportunities for people before next autumn and the selection of the squad. Injuries, form, balance will all vary over the next nine months. And Joe will change his mind on several of them as it unwraps. There will probably be bolsters we don’t rate in there. The politics of the last match is always attractive- but it’s very early days yet.

I don't believe that for a second.

I'd say Schmidt has his 31 in his head already, and there are probably at most 4-5 positions up for grabs.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

paddyor wrote:
artaneboy wrote:
FLIP wrote:Some players made a statement tonight. Some players have played themselves out of the RWC squad. Weird and frustrating match.
Don’t think anybody “played themselves out of a squad on the back of a 57-14 win over a decent tier 2 team.

It was a tough imperfect game, but nobody played badly- or certainly no where badly enough to prelude them from selection for a tournament nearly a year away. A bit of of perspective please people...

When are they gonna get a chance again? It’s 6n, then warm ups and everyone gets a run there and they’re not real tests. Would need a good run in the knockouts of either P14 or HCC, which seems unlikely for a few of them.
Come off it! If a player is on form next spring to autumn and ripping it up in training, warm-ups, HC, Pro 14- or whatever, do you think that Joe is likely to rule him out next autumn because he didn’t shoot the lights out in an international nearly a year previously?

This is just a stage on the way to the decision- but not a crucial one for hopefuls. Anyway, I saw no one who ruled themselves out on that performance. No one was terrible, most were good, a few were excellent.

artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

wixfjord wrote:
artaneboy wrote:

I don't believe that for a second.

I'd say Schmidt has his 31 in his head already, and there are probably at most 4-5 positions up for grabs.
You can believe what you want; that doesn’t mean that Joe has to have similar overly rigid opinions.

If there’s one thing we do know for certain about Joe, he’s not constrained by the conventional thinking that many commentators and fans cling to.

So your- or my guesses, for that matter, may largely accord with what he eventually selects. But his processes will not shut out anyone with potential until he absolutely has to. Ridiculous to think he’d tie himself to such a timeline. He’s not playing the fans myopic “whose most popular now” stuff.

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

artaneboy wrote:
You can believe what you want; that doesn’t mean that Joe has to have similar overly rigid opinions.

If there’s one thing we do know for certain about Joe, he’s not constrained by the conventional thinking that many commentators and fans cling to.

So your- or my guesses, for that matter, may largely accord with what he eventually selects. But his processes will not shut out anyone with potential until he absolutely has to. Ridiculous to think he’d tie himself to such a timeline. He’s not playing the fans myopic “whose most popular now” stuff.

I'd say what's ridiculous is thinking a coach like Joe Schmidt has no firm opinions on most of his players less than a year out from a world cup.

But each to their own!
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

wixfjord wrote:
artaneboy wrote:

I'd say what's ridiculous is thinking a coach like Joe Schmidt has no firm opinions on most of his players less than a year out from a world cup.

But each to their own!
I note your subtle retreat there from your initial statement of certainty: there’s a big difference between opinions- firm or otherwise, and definite positions on selection.

No matter, we’ll be around this mulberry bush again several times before the real decision is actually made.

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

artaneboy wrote:
wixfjord wrote:
artaneboy wrote:

But each to their own!
I note your subtle retreat there from your initial statement of certainty: there’s a big difference between opinions- firm or otherwise, and definite positions on selection.

No matter, we’ll be around this mulberry bush again several times before the real decision is actually made.

You misread.

Just to be clear, I'm certain that Joe Schmidt has firm views on most of his players.

And it's ridiculous (your word) to say otherwise.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

wixfjord wrote:
artaneboy wrote:
wixfjord wrote:

But each to their own!

You misread.

Just to be clear, I'm certain that Joe Schmidt has firm views on most of his players and that there are at most 4-5 positions up for grabs.

And it's ridiculous (your word) to say otherwise.
My last word: I too have firm views on the worth of players now. But I’m open/ expecting to change my views based on the new data that will emerge in the next (almost) year as players perform or don’t. I’m expecting Joe is equally open minded. Why- because that’s his demonstrated nature.

So I’m happy to embrace the “ridiculous” tag for use on those that imply he’ll set his views in concrete now. And as I said already, there’s not enough evidence good or bad that can be gleaned from that game tonight to justify such definite decisions now.

Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

Barry wrote:
wixfjord wrote:Conan going around in a sling. b*%&!cks.
Doesn't look good

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Is this true, missis robbed the TV after full time.

God I hate Munster ..... sorry that just slipped out
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

artaneboy wrote:
My last word: I too have firm views on the worth of players now. But I’m open/ expecting to change my views based on the new data that will emerge in the next (almost) year as players perform or don’t. I’m expecting Joe is equally open minded. Why- because that’s his demonstrated nature.

I would imagine so.

But he also would have strong views on his squad as of now.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Jonny tight lips wrote:
Barry wrote:
Doesn't look good

I empathise. “Strictly” is harsh mistress...

Seriously- I had the same sinking feeling on seeing Conan in that sling myself. That’s possibly Seanie, Dan and Jack out injured now. We have better back row resources than most- but they’re not inexhaustible.

Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

artaneboy wrote:

It is absolutely NOT early days. There is plenty of evidence bagged from the last 4 wks that will influence 2019rwc.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Jonny tight lips wrote:
Barry wrote:
Doesn't look good

Your handle is disappointed, not that I disagree.
Daniel Sullivan
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

MFans are still debating if Joe is a better coach than Deccie! :lol:
Anyways, I thought Conway had a good game, Cooney did not which is a pity. Killer was good and looks lean and fit. Ringers is pure class. Chris Farrell is goin to Japan.
Funny oul game.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

blockhead wrote:MFans are still debating if Joe is a better coach than Deccie! :lol:
Anyways, I thought Conway had a good game, Cooney did not which is a pity. Killer was good and looks lean and fit. Ringers is pure class. Chris Farrell is goin to Japan.
Funny oul game.
The only thing I can add to that is: Ireland look better under Byrne at OH
Daniel Sullivan
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Peg Leg wrote:
blockhead wrote:MFans are still debating if Joe is a better coach than Deccie! :lol:
Funny oul game.
The only thing I can add to that is: Ireland look better under Byrne at OH
I was going to say that too but.....Frawless looks better than both.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Peg Leg wrote:
artaneboy wrote:

It is absolutely NOT early days. There is plenty of evidence bagged from the last 4 wks that will influence 2019rwc.
Jaysus! The RWC is almost a year away: a whole 25% of the period between the bloody things. No matter how many times it’s claimed or typed in LARGE TEXT, it’s still very EARLY DAYS in the final selection process.

Neither you nor anyone else here has any idea of who is going to be in the RWC squad or not. That’s no deficiency- nobody has that knowledge- because the man who will make it is sensible enough to leave his options option until he has to. He leaves his options open both because he can- and he has an appreciation that, amazingly seems to elude some here, that things change and evolve. People get injured- new players emerge, etc. It’s hardly an amazing insight. So he has a general hierarchy in mind- but nothing is settled now- and I repeat, certainly not on the basis of a match like tonight’s.

The tiresome bit is that some seek to pretend in defiance of logic that it’s all but sorted now. It’s a game fans play- and that’s okay once we accept it’s just that: a relatively harmless conceit.

Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

wixfjord wrote: I'd say Schmidt has his 31 in his head already, and there are probably at most 4-5 positions up for grabs.
Yeah, I'd say thats pretty much the case - the only thing that he might be pondering is how many of a particular position to take in one or two positions.

Unless someone absolutely blows the doors off between now and the end of the season there aren't going to be many surprises
I have Bumbleflex
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Dave Cahill wrote:
wixfjord wrote: I'd say Schmidt has his 31 in his head already, and there are probably at most 4-5 positions up for grabs.
Yeah, I'd say thats pretty much the case - the only thing that he might be pondering is how many of a particular position to take in one or two positions.

Unless someone absolutely blows the doors off between now and the end of the season there aren't going to be many surprises
There's got to be a few headaches, honestly not sure how you pick that back row from options available just insane strength in depth.

Second row Henderson is doing his best to slip away from consideration though.

If I'm Joey C I'd want Ross Byrne getting as little game time as possible.

I'd say there will be suprises, as in some big names missing out. Aside from hooker the strength in depth is incomparable to any previous Irish squad. Can't believe how well we've done without Murray. Are Sexton and Toner the only irreplaceable guys from what they bring that no one else does?
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Jaysus! The RWC is almost a year away: a whole 25% of the period between the bloody things. No matter how many times it’s claimed or typed in LARGE TEXT, it’s still very EARLY DAYS in the final selection process.

Neither you nor anyone else here has any idea of who is going to be in the RWC squad or not. That’s no deficiency- nobody has that knowledge- because the man who will make it is sensible enough to leave his options option until he has to. He leaves his options open both because he can- and he has an appreciation that, amazingly seems to elude some here, that things change and evolve. People get injured- new players emerge, etc. It’s hardly an amazing insight. So he has a general hierarchy in mind- but nothing is settled now- and I repeat, certainly not on the basis of a match like tonight’s.

The tiresome bit is that some seek to pretend in defiance of logic that it’s all but sorted now. It’s a game fans play- and that’s okay once we accept it’s just that: a relatively harmless conceit.

It’s really late in the day. Ulster have 2 big games left in the HCC, they’re not making the knockouts.

Who’s gonna make this run?
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles