Ireland 2018/2019

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Laighin Break
Mullet

Re: Ireland 2018/2019

Post by Laighin Break »

bertlim wrote:
Mickado wrote:Well as a fan (which makes every Irish player my employee if you think about it) I'm heartened that I now know that it was a neck injury which kept Leavy out on Saturday. I'm just glad Robert Kitson took a stand against the selfish (and rude) hoarding of players personal medical information, it clearly embarrassed the IRFU into action.
I'm not sure how you've come to the conclusion that every Irish player is your employee but employers do not have the right to know their employees medical history
I think this may have been a joke
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

https://www.the42.ie/iain-henderson-lea ... 2-Nov2018/

Good interview from Henderson, outlining some of his own thoughts on squad make-up and why some people fall outside the group:

"... if you don’t train well or prepare well you probably wouldn’t last a huge amount of time in this squad. And yes, there are maybe players who come in and don’t train well or don’t prepare well and then they learn from leaders like Rory, Johnny, Pete. They see how they train and how they prepare, they see they study the opposition and how they understand all the roles in any patterns, line-outs, plays, and then all of a sudden that’s like a filtering down process …"
Mickado
Knowledgeable

Post by Mickado »

Laighin Break wrote:
bertlim wrote:
Mickado wrote:Well as a fan (which makes every Irish player my employee if you think about it) I'm heartened that I now know that it was a neck injury which kept Leavy out on Saturday. I'm just glad Robert Kitson took a stand against the selfish (and rude) hoarding of players personal medical information, it clearly embarrassed the IRFU into action.
I'm not sure how you've come to the conclusion that every Irish player is your employee but employers do not have the right to know their employees medical history
I think this may have been a joke
You would be punctilious in your assumption.
Can I raise a practical question at this point? Are we gonna do "Stonehenge" tomorrow?
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Fan with smartphone wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:
Fan with smartphone wrote: Whitelock could have seen yellow too with the knockdown or for a cynical hold when already on penalty advantage in the first half. That, plus the fact Barnes stopped refereeing Savea at the breakdown for a good bit just prior to Kearney incident probably saved Kearney, because he should’ve walked on at least a yellow there. I liked how little we complained overall. Stander made no meal of the high tackle and we were just there to play tough, hard ball. So were they to be fair, but our ability to keep our discipline at high pressure is what is separating those sides more than anything else at the minute.

We maybe over celebrated winning those 2 lineout chances to kill it and didn’t see those through. Oldschool right to highlight that. Wouldn’t put that on personnel changes - Toner and O’Mahony had to go, their race was absolutely run. It was probably run 5 minutes earlier in O’Mahonys case but he kept on making plays! The misdirection in our lineout in early exchanges was superb but it was just hard to maintain that I think.

The best moment for me was when JVDF, just, scragged Barrett. This was our 3rd choice 7, but nobody else could’ve made that tackle. A try saver and a match winner.

The two big decisions we have to make are on Best and Kearney. Will they still be as good as that next season? They could both do it, or neither. I’d want to give them both every chance, they have certainly earned that. But we will need to prepare for both eventualities. Either way, standing still won’t be an option and to help bring us back down to earth, we have the worst possible World Cup draw. But no team is going to be delighted having to face us.

Not sure about Josh being our 3rd choice 7!!! But for injury I think he might have been a starting Lion in New Zealand. He was my man of the match on Saturday, there's going to be some sh!t fight for back row positioning in the coming years! Luckily these days, you pretty much need 2 starting international backrows (as you do props) as it's such an attritional position.

Immense performances from all 3 backrowers, locks and props.
Ah I’ve haven’t used my words well there re: JVDF as third choice. That’s maybe how New Zealand would’ve viewed it -SOB the biggest name then Leavy was originally selected ahead of him, but is very hard to now who is ahead of who for the 7 geansai. My current World Cup squad would have all 3 of them. SOB covers 6, 7, 8. Leavy 7, or 6. JVDF I see a purely as a 7. 6 cover is also Henderson and probably more so Beirne, who’d be the most like for like for O’Mahony in terms of lineout and groundwork.

I’ve always been a fan of SOB starting at 7 and then going across to 6 for last 30 minutes. But that’s a role Leavy could fit into too, or indeed Murphy who I personally have just outside the squad. It’s something Joe used in his earlier Leinster teams and I’d argue it worked very well.

And 2 international back rows isn’t enough - need to be 3 deep! That’s one of Schmidt’s stated aims and look forward to ruckedtobits doing an update on where that’s at! We certainly are 3 deep at 7 anyway.
On second row, I think Kleyn will be a very serious addition there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I know it won't happen, but if we had an injury or two in the lead up to the World Cup then I'd love if we called up Donnacha Ryan.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

That would require such a massive "slip in the shower" epidemic to break out in every corner of Ireland
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Possibly, but I wouldn't be shocked if we looked to him if we had to go past Quinn Roux (so two injuries), and personally I'd bring him in if it looked like Roux would have to bench.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Total ruck contributions v All Blacks:

50 Devin Toner (19 first, 18 second, 11 third, 1 fourth, 1 defensive)

43 Rory Best (11 first, 17 second, 7 third, 6 defensive)

40 Josh van der Flier (14 first, 10 second, 7 third, 1 fourth, 8 defensive)

35 CJ Stander (6 first, 13 second, 8 third, 8 defensive)

25 James Ryan (12 first, 7 second, 5 third, 1 defensive)

24 Tadhg Furlong (10 first, 10 second, 1 third, 3 defensive)

24 Bundee Aki (7 first, 10 second, 3 third, 1 fourth, 3 defensive)

22 Peter O’Mahony (7 first, 5 second, 6 third, 4 defensive)

21 Cian Healy (9 first, 6 second, 5 third, 1 fourth)

17 Garry Ringrose (8 first, 4 second, 4 third, 1 defensive)

13 Jack McGrath (3 first, 6 second, 2 third, 1 fourth, 1 defensive)

12 Rob Kearney (6 first, 3 second, 1 third, 2 fourth)

11 Jacob Stockdale (8 first, 1 second, 2 third)

9 Johnny Sexton (8 first, 1 second)

6 Sean Cronin (2 first, 1 third, 1 fourth, 2 defensive)

5 Andrew Porter (2 first, 1 second, 2 defensive)

5 Keith Earls (1 first, 3 second, 1 third)

3 Iain Henderson (1 first, 1 second, 1 defensive)

3 Kieran Marmion (1 first, 2 defensive)

1 Jordi Murphy (1 first)

1 Luke McGrath (1 defensive)

I was listening to the Left wing podcast, there's an interview with James Ryan where Fitz jokes Dev is a bit of a wimp in the gym. Ryan shot back on the paddock he's really athletic and covers a lot of ground.

Also of note, Porter has the stronger lower body strength but Healy is still top on the bench.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Those are great stats! Confirms what I thought I saw from Josh and Dev. Rory's speed and work at the breakdown will definitely be missed when he retires!
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

Surprised Ringer is starting this weekend v USA. He put in a big shift v NZ. We (Leinster) really can't afford him to ship a knock on Saturday.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Why doesn’t Porter feature? Surely he needs to start and play the majority of games in what is still a new position for him?

Why is Jack McGrath not needed and Healy forced to the well again? Surely abother start for Luke McGrath would make more sense as he is more lilely to be #2 or #3 to Murray and has extensive experience of servicing all 3 Irish out-halves?
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Selection of Gary Ringrose is all about giving McCloskey and Carbery the sort of quality they need if they are to do their offensive jobs properly. IMO, McCloskey could be auditioning for a Squad place in 9 months time, if, and its a big if, Joe can't find satisfactory cover for Robert Kearney.

Larmour certainly hasn't demonstrated that he's the automatic cover, nor has Andy Conway, so it just maybe there are two guys left to complete their auditions, Addison and Henshaw.

Henshaw is currently nailed on with Bundee as No 12 (one or other), but if Robert Kearney got injured during, or pre-RWC, I believe hJoe S will definitely want another defensive enforcer / organiser.

The old NZ adage about getting your best players into the Squad / Team still holds. The motivation for McCloskey and Addison on Saturday must be huge and Carbery will relish having Ringrose along the line as "a connection" when he makes line-breaks.

Also really looking forward to seeing how Bealham and Beirne play. Both have been form players for their Provinces and are given the chance to confirm or improve their places in the pecking order. The same is true for Kilcoyne, although he has a mountain to climb to get near McGrath or Healy. He also has a mountain to face on Saturday with the Eagles front-row showing as one of the strongest units in their team.

Finally, John Cooney gets a first start with very clear indications that he is definitely No. 4 in the list at present. He needs to pass perfectly, kick from hand magnificently, create line-breaks around the breakdowns and find support and then tackle like JVdF, to have any chance of catching Marmion or McGrath. A tough ask, but he can't say he's not getting a chance. Certainly a stream of quick long passes, hovering in front of Joey, all evening wouldn't do his prospects any harm.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

backrower8 wrote:Why doesn’t Porter feature? Surely he needs to start and play the majority of games in what is still a new position for him?

Why is Jack McGrath not needed and Healy forced to the well again? Surely abother start for Luke McGrath would make more sense as he is more lilely to be #2 or #3 to Murray and has extensive experience of servicing all 3 Irish out-halves?
Cooney was unlucky not to be the backup to Marmion in the bigger matches in this month. To my mind he has been over the last year the best all round SH after Murray in the country. He’s due his chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

artaneboy wrote:
backrower8 wrote:Why doesn’t Porter feature? Surely he needs to start and play the majority of games in what is still a new position for him?

Cooney was unlucky not to be the backup to Marmion in the bigger matches in this month. To my mind he has been over the last year the best all round SH after Murray in the country. He’s due his chance.

Perhaps. Marmite is the one I just don't get. His box kicking is mediocre at best. He adds very little other than having been around Joe's squad longer than Luke or Cooney. For Joe to play him last Saturday even though his ankle was shot rather than play Luke & Cooney says a lot too.

Word is that a former Connacht 10 rated Cooney way above Marmion when they were there together.
Aird
Bookworm

Post by Aird »

Any player who can step in and fill the boots of St.Ruane cannot be overlooked.Cooney has the ability to manage a game from scrumhalf. He is also a very consistent place kicker and was the top points scorer in the League last year.
On a number of occasions he has had to slot into the No.10 position and he has been very effective.
I think that he has lot more to offer than either Marmion or Mc Grath and would bring a lot as a. Squad member for the World Cup.
I Also feel from the limited exposure I have seen of Addison at Full back that he is excellent and an attacking player in the Jarrod Payne style. Unfortunately due to injuries of our centre options he has had to play in the centre but I feel sure that Full back would be his most effective position although I felt he did well when he was thrown in atone deepend by Henshaws last minute withdrawal against Argentina.
Aird
Bookworm

Post by Aird »

Any player who can step in and fill the boots of St.Ruane cannot be overlooked.Cooney has the ability to manage a game from scrumhalf. He is also a very consistent place kicker and was the top points scorer in the League last year.
On a number of occasions he has had to slot into the No.10 position and he has been very effective.
I think that he has lot more to offer than either Marmion or Mc Grath and would bring a lot as a. Squad member for the World Cup.
I Also feel from the limited exposure I have seen of Addison at Full back that he is excellent and an attacking player in the Jarrod Payne style. Unfortunately due to injuries of our centre options he has had to play in the centre but I feel sure that Full back would be his most effective position although I felt he did well when he was thrown in atone deepend by Henshaws last minute withdrawal against Argentina.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

It's a good side but looking at it am I wrong in thinking we're not a lot of depth in wingers? Stockdale and Earls are nailed down and Conway can play there but D. Kearney and McFadden are probably finished internationally or close to it with form and injuries. Lowe isn't IQ yet and none of the guys that Schmidts auditioned like M. Healy have made the grade. Gilroy can do a good job against Tier 2 teams but he's not truested against Tier 1 sides. Who is the automatic replacement for Stockdale on the left wing? No offense to Sweetnam but his Munster form hasn't being hugely consistent. I hope he has a big game and seals the back-up spot but it's worry. What do others think?
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

sunshiner1 wrote:It's a good side but looking at it am I wrong in thinking we're not a lot of depth in wingers? Stockdale and Earls are nailed down and Conway can play there but D. Kearney and McFadden are probably finished internationally or close to it with form and injuries. Lowe isn't IQ yet and none of the guys that Schmidts auditioned like M. Healy have made the grade. Gilroy can do a good job against Tier 2 teams but he's not truested against Tier 1 sides. Who is the automatic replacement for Stockdale on the left wing? No offense to Sweetnam but his Munster form hasn't being hugely consistent. I hope he has a big game and seals the back-up spot but it's worry. What do others think?
Very good question. "Who is the alternative....."
Wingers and outside centre would be the biggest concerns imho and FB of course although Larmour is at least the heir apparent WIP.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Bookies giving USA a 37 point lead on the even money bet.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

sunshiner1 wrote:It's a good side but looking at it am I wrong in thinking we're not a lot of depth in wingers? Stockdale and Earls are nailed down and Conway can play there but D. Kearney and McFadden are probably finished internationally or close to it with form and injuries. Lowe isn't IQ yet and none of the guys that Schmidts auditioned like M. Healy have made the grade. Gilroy can do a good job against Tier 2 teams but he's not truested against Tier 1 sides. Who is the automatic replacement for Stockdale on the left wing? No offense to Sweetnam but his Munster form hasn't being hugely consistent. I hope he has a big game and seals the back-up spot but it's worry. What do others think?
Some of our back three players are interchangeable enough that it's reductive to try to create position specific depth charts. If Stockdale was injured, Earls would move to his prefrered position of left wing and Conway would go on the right. Larmour would be next in line for a wing position after that.

There's a clump of players behind that leading group, with McFadden probably next in line if he gets back to full fitness in time to re-establish his case. You could make a case for Sweetnam, Daly, Gilroy etc. but it would require some awful run of injury luck for them to get called up.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”