Post by Peg Leg »

How dis the Bryne Hawkshaw combo go?
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Re: Ireland u20 2018-2019

Post by mildlyinterested »

Peg Leg wrote:How dis the Bryne Hawkshaw combo go?
very good. Hawkshaw went off injured.

Byrne looked excellent.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Clarkson is 18 years old, played the whole game at TH prop and was excellent in loose and tight.

Penny was a tackling machine.

Charlie Ryan was very good at lock.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

mildlyinterested wrote:
LeinsterLeader wrote: Yous guys haven't a feckin clue what yis a talking about :lol:

Great performance from Ireland. Some huge shifts from some of the Leinster lads too. Penny and H Byrne were excellent
no one could have predicted that. happy days to be wrong.
shish :roll: ...... sure I know it a mile off, I just didn't like to say :wink:
thecomedian
Beginner

Post by thecomedian »

Enjoyable match, really impressed with them for turning it around after the start.
Penny and the No.8 were excellent.
Byrne was very good as were the 2 centres. The fullback was good and looked very comfortable as a first receiver.

Byrne is more of a running outhalf by the looks of things. I haven’t seen too much of him so I may be wrong.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Super game and best Ireland U20 performance for a while. Happy to be wrong about the result!

I thought all the usual suspects had big games, Penney, Ryan etc but I was delighted by how good the pack were in particular. Clarkson and Wycherley were good in the tight and open play, Murray put in a big shift and Moloney was excellent and had some big plays.

There was some outstanding play from the backs also. Byrne looks to have improved from last year, Casey and Flannery also were good.

The result was the icing on the cake.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Brilliant performance, far from perfect but England managed to take advantage of the few mistakes we did make. Forwards looked powerful, halfbacks controlled it well, and the outside backs looked dangerous, can't ask for much more than that.

I expected our players to look good individually but didn't think we'd look as well coached as we did, just never seems to happen until we get to the JWC.

I saw very little of Turner in school but he didn't strike me as someone who would be a pro, he was excellent tonight though, bit nervous near the start (think he ran the wrong line for the first English try and gave a pass too early for what should have been an easy two on one) but backed himself to make the difference and looked really good. Hawkshaw makes a lot of poor decisions. The play where he got injured was one example, he shouldn't run sideways away from support like that and it cost us a turnover. He often blows overlaps by trying to take contact and offload instead of just executing a two on one, there was one offload that the commentators praised in the first half but I felt he should have straightened and looked for support. Wren was really sharp every time he was involved, and Flannery is a cracking runner.

Great shot of Harry Byrne's parents celebrating after the last conversion!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Really good recovery by the team and the difference in their confidence in the second-half was extraordinary. They, mentally and physically, grew in stature as they began to believe in themselves. Excellent coaching performance both technically and tactically.

To ultimately outplay a team which was so much more, individually, powerful was great to see and reflects just how Irish rugby players at all levels see themselves at the present.

Realy impressed with Hodnett, Penny, Wycherly and Flannery. Hodnett was the player who started the comeback with aggressive carries to and throught the English, even though we had conceded two soft trys. Turner and Hawkshaw were excellent in attack and defence after the first quarter. Casey and Byrne directed the play very well and Harry Byrne played for the team and contributed on both sides of the ball.

Am I correct in thinking that at least one of the Ulster Players wasn't released to Ireland U.20s. If so, that's a very short-sighted outlook and totally wrong.

Great win and now let's hope they work hard on the areas they need to improve and go to Scotland and get a win on the road.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

And well done Italy, on beating Scotland by 10 points in Scotland!
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

I think playing the match in Cork really worked well. There was a decent very vocal crowd who really played their part.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

D4surfer wrote:I think playing the match in Cork really worked well. There was a decent very vocal crowd who really played their part.
Yep the crowd got right behind the team in very cold conditions. They're starved of rugby down in Cork.
We looked really good in parts, so did they tbh. We gave them all their points and still won with a BP so the coach will be delighted to have things to work on.
5 of the England team have already played Prem rugby, the 10 has already played in the Heino, so they are a big and experienced team for U20s.
Hodnett looked really good with ball in hand. Wycherlys scrumming was obviously very good when you seen what happened to Milne when he came on (2 pens/ yellow). Not conceding points in that 10 mins was the turning point of the game.
Harry looks like a more dynamic version of his older brother. Munster have some good lads coming through at long last.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
wwed
Learner

Post by wwed »

Anyone know where to find highlights online?
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

wwed wrote:Anyone know where to find highlights online?
On the RTE player now. As is the wimmins game
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Post by TrapperChamonix »

blockhead wrote:
D4surfer wrote:I think playing the match in Cork really worked well. There was a decent very vocal crowd who really played their part.
Yep the crowd got right behind the team in very cold conditions. They're starved of rugby down in Cork.
We looked really good in parts, so did they tbh. We gave them all their points and still won with a BP so the coach will be delighted to have things to work on.
5 of the England team have already played Prem rugby, the 10 has already played in the Heino, so they are a big and experienced team for U20s.
Hodnett looked really good with ball in hand. Wycherlys scrumming was obviously very good when you seen what happened to Milne when he came on (2 pens/ yellow). Not conceding points in that 10 mins was the turning point of the game.
Harry looks like a more dynamic version of his older brother. Munster have some good lads coming through at long last.
Milne is not (yet) the greatest scrummager and got done on his 1st 2 scrums and paid the price for accumulation of other team penalties. However he was the one who disrupted the English line out maul brilliantly to save a try. Unfortunately that set up the scrums which lead to the yellow card.
Worcesters, Ted Hill was the stand out English player. If I was English I would be disappointed how ineffective Marcus Smith was in controlling the game. He had moments of brilliance but given the dominance of the English pack in the 1st half he did very little with it.
Fantastic result from the Irish team
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Milne scrummaged much better when he came back on, adapted well.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

TrapperChamonix wrote: If I was English I would be disappointed how ineffective Marcus Smith was in controlling the game. He had moments of brilliance but given the dominance of the English pack in the 1st half he did very little with it.
I agree with you but I always think it's a bit dodgy to play guys who have been playing pro rugby as much as someone like Watson has, they just rarely put in the same kind of effort and it's understandable really. He has bigger fish to fry and had to travel to Cork for a game that wasn't even on TV in the UK and against some Irish lads who were probably playing the biggest game of their career, always think there's scope to upset someone in those kind of circumstances.
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Post by TrapperChamonix »

mildlyinterested wrote:Milne scrummaged much better when he came back on, adapted well.
Agreed.
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

Others here may have seen alot more of Harry Byrne. From what I've seen this year and last - he could turn out to be better than Ross; think he might have more acceleration and eye for a break.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

desperado wrote:Others here may have seen alot more of Harry Byrne. From what I've seen this year and last - he could turn out to be better than Ross; think he might have more acceleration and eye for a break.
He is a much better athlete than Ross, always has been. Not as developed in his decision making coming out of school, interested to see how he goes for the remainder of this season.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Ireland U20 v Scotland U20, U20 Six Championship, Netherdale (Gala RFC), Galashiels. Kick-Off: 7.30pm

15. Jake Flannery (Shannon/Munster)
14. Conor Phillips (Young Munster/Munster)
13. Liam Turner (Dublin University/Leinster)
12. David Hawkshaw (Clontarf/Leinster) (capt)
11. Jonathan Wren (Cork Constitution/Munster)
10. Harry Byrne (Lansdowne/Leinster)
9. Cormac Foley (St. Mary’s College/Leinster)
1. Josh Wycherley (Young Munster/Munster)
2. Dylan Tierney-Martin (Corinthians/Connacht)
3. Thomas Clarkson (Dublin University/Leinster)
4. Charlie Ryan (UCD/Leinster)
5. Niall Murray (Buccaneers/Connacht)
6. Martin Moloney (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
7. Scott Penny (UCD/Leinster)
8. John Hodnett (UCC/Munster)

Replacements:
16. John McKee (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
17. Michael Milne (UCD/Leinster)
18. Luke Masters (Shannon/Munster)
19. Brian Deeny (Clontarf/Leinster)
20. David McCann (Banbridge/Ulster)
21. Colm Reilly (Buccaneers/Connacht)
22. Sean French (Cork Constitution/Munster)
23. Rob Russell (Dublin University/Leinster)

Ireland’s starting XV shows just one change to the side that defeated England 35-27 in Cork last week. Cormac Foley, the scorer of the match-winning try in Cork, is promoted from the bench to start at scrum half, replacing vice-captain Craig Casey who is ruled out through injury.

Shannon prop Luke Masters and Buccaneers’ Colm Reilly, who provides back-up for Foley at scrum half, have been added to the replacements and both will be looking to win their first Ireland Under-20 caps at the home ground of Gala RFC.

Please note that this game will not be televised – there will be score updates on the Irish Rugby Twitter page.