Ireland u20 2020

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Re: Ireland u20 2018-2019

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Another demonstration of good coaching of this Squad - forwards, backs and all units. When the performance is regularly better than the sum of the parts, you've got to give credit to Coaches & Players. This Squad has consistently represented themselves and our National rugby to the highest standards. Well done to all.

Australia's win, coupled with S. Africa's performance against France and Wales' defeat of NZ, suggests that this year's Pool draw was very unfortunate for the European teams. Ireland gave Oz a run for their money but nobody else appears any way close. France butchered numerous chances against S Africa in the first half yet won well. Italy got their, long threatened victory over a 6N opponent. So, now we'll see just how far ahead is this Australian team.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

This has been one of my favourite under 20 teams, the attitude is just great. Seeing Deeny score that try having only arrived a few days ago and after they looked dead and buried two minutes before it really summed them up. Just gutted for them that they haven't really had a fair crack at the tournament because of the injuries, there really doesn't seem to be much between the top 8 sides.

I think Baird might just have found his long term position. I said a while back that he could probably play 6 or 8 but that was just a comment on how talented he was, not a suggestion, but now I think playing 6 is a great idea. We haven't seen that much of his athleticism and skills because he's been doing so much donkey work, but I think he can tailor his game to what's required and that he might be wasted slightly in the second row. Plus there's no real outstanding talent at 6 (thought Doris would have been pushing for it but the coaches didn't seem to see it a possibility last season) and loads of young second rows. On that point, I'm a huge fan of Charlie Ryan too, he has everything you'd want in a second row. Great to see Milne get his mojo back as well, was slightly worried that he'd stalled but he looked very promising again once he wasn't at tighthead.

So I'm really excited to see the Leinster pack develop over the next few years. Milne, Kelleher (although I'm not as convinced as others, don't like his throwing at all), Charlie Ryan, Dunne, Baird, Penny, and Doris could all be playing A games together next season and then playing first team games en masse in two years time. And of those who are more established: Porter is only 23, and James Ryan and Deegan are only 22. Exciting times!

Hope they can pull out one more big performance this weekend. Logic says they'll run out of steam at some point but I would never back against this team.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: So I'm really excited to see the Leinster pack develop over the next few years. Milne, Kelleher (although I'm not as convinced as others, don't like his throwing at all), Charlie Ryan, Dunne, Baird, Penny, and Doris could all be playing A games together next season and then playing first team games en masse in two years time. And of those who are more established: Porter is only 23, and James Ryan and Deegan are only 22. Exciting times!
I'm of the same opinion. We're putting together a full pack here of real quality. I'd add in Clarkson as well, he seems to be made of the right stuff. I didn't see the game, but I heard that Baird did well at No6 ... could be a Dublin Pieter Steph du Toit in the making! I certainly would still tend to see him as a second row, but I have a lot of faith in Leo making good decisions about those sort of players. Leo himself played an awful lot of rugby at No8 at various age-grades and is particularly well-placed to make those calls.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Brian Deeny made an impression when he came on, interested to see how he develops.. either at 4 or 6.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

hugonaut wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote: So I'm really excited to see the Leinster pack develop over the next few years. Milne, Kelleher (although I'm not as convinced as others, don't like his throwing at all), Charlie Ryan, Dunne, Baird, Penny, and Doris could all be playing A games together next season and then playing first team games en masse in two years time. And of those who are more established: Porter is only 23, and James Ryan and Deegan are only 22. Exciting times!
I'm of the same opinion. We're putting together a full pack here of real quality. I'd add in Clarkson as well, he seems to be made of the right stuff. I didn't see the game, but I heard that Baird did well at No6 ... could be a Dublin Pieter Steph du Toit in the making! I certainly would still tend to see him as a second row, but I have a lot of faith in Leo making good decisions about those sort of players. Leo himself played an awful lot of rugby at No8 at various age-grades and is particularly well-placed to make those calls.
Yeah the only reason I didn't mention Clarkson was because his age means that I don't think he'll be a regular starter for the A team and others will play to top up their fitness, but I suppose I was pushing it by saying Doris and Penny will play anyway so should have included him.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

England centre Cameron Redpath will appear at a hearing before an independent World Rugby Disciplinary Committee chaired by Alan Hudson (Canada) along with John Langford (former Australia player) and Sarah Smith (former Scotland player) in Rosario on 19 June, 2019 having been cited by Citing Commissioner Enrique Cazenave (Argentina) for biting Ireland hooker Dylan Tierney-Martin in breach of Law 9.12 in their match at the World Rugby U20 Championship in Rosario, Argentina, on 17 June, 2019.
I have Bumbleflex
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

In case anybody missed it, Oz beat Argentina by 13-34 in the semi-final, having lost their scrum-half McDonald to a Red Card for an over-the-shoulder dump tackle just on half-time with the score on 13-17. To win the 2nd half by 0-17 with 14 players is just an indication of how superior this Aussie team is, compared to their opponents.

Although I would love to see a French win, it's hard to look beyond a 15-20 pt spread for Oz. As for our chances against NZ, having re-watched their performance against S.A. in the Pool game, this looks the weakest NZ pack for a decade or more. If we still have 8 men and true standing, Ireland by 10.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Dave Cahill wrote:England centre Cameron Redpath will appear at a hearing before an independent World Rugby Disciplinary Committee chaired by Alan Hudson (Canada) along with John Langford (former Australia player) and Sarah Smith (former Scotland player) in Rosario on 19 June, 2019 having been cited by Citing Commissioner Enrique Cazenave (Argentina) for biting Ireland hooker Dylan Tierney-Martin in breach of Law 9.12 in their match at the World Rugby U20 Championship in Rosario, Argentina, on 17 June, 2019.
England were due a bit of thuggery.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Dave Cahill wrote:England centre Cameron Redpath will appear at a hearing before an independent World Rugby Disciplinary Committee chaired by Alan Hudson (Canada) along with John Langford (former Australia player) and Sarah Smith (former Scotland player) in Rosario on 19 June, 2019 having been cited by Citing Commissioner Enrique Cazenave (Argentina) for biting Ireland hooker Dylan Tierney-Martin in breach of Law 9.12 in their match at the World Rugby U20 Championship in Rosario, Argentina, on 17 June, 2019.
England centre Cameron Redpath appeared at a hearing before an independent World Rugby Disciplinary Committee chaired by Alan Hudson (Canada) along with John Langford (former Australia player) and Sarah Smith (former Scotland player) in Rosario on 19 June 2019 having been cited by Citing Commissioner Enrique Cazenave (Argentina) for biting Ireland hooker Dylan Tierney-Martin in breach of Law 9.12 in their match at the World Rugby U20 Championship at Rosario, Argentina on 17 June 2019. Redpath accepted the citing. The Disciplinary Committee received evidence from Redpath, Tierney-Martin, the Ireland team doctor and the referee as well as submissions on behalf of the player in relation to the entry point. The Disciplinary Committee considered that this was a low-end breach of Law 9.12 which carries a 12-week entry point. The Disciplinary Committee considered the player’s previously clean record, early acceptance of his conduct, apology, youth and inexperience to reduce the sanction by the maximum 50% to 6 weeks. Redpath is suspended from Saturday’s final round at the World Rugby U20 Championship until after Sale’s Premiership Cup fixture on 21 September 2019.
I have Bumbleflex
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Ireland u20 2018-2019

Post by neill_m »

Ireland v New Zealand now starting at 5pm Irish Time on Saturday rather than 7:30pm. Will be on Eir Sport 1 (ROI) and World Rugby Website etc (UK).
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Another demonstration of good coaching of this Squad - forwards, backs and all units. When the performance is regularly better than the sum of the parts, you've got to give credit to Coaches & Players. This Squad has consistently represented themselves and our National rugby to the highest standards. Well done to all.

Australia's win, coupled with S. Africa's performance against France and Wales' defeat of NZ, suggests that this year's Pool draw was very unfortunate for the European teams. Ireland gave Oz a run for their money but nobody else appears any way close. France butchered numerous chances against S Africa in the first half yet won well. Italy got their, long threatened victory over a 6N opponent. So, now we'll see just how far ahead is this Australian team.

You could argue that 3 or the top 4 teams were in our group. The seeding for the 6N teams should be based on the 6N imo.

On Australia, they look super fit. I think many of their players are involved in super rugby teams. The Australian super rugby teams are losing a lot of players so it opens opportunities for their U20s. That's not to take away from their talent but they looked impressive in the latter stages of games.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Ireland U20s v New Zealand U20s - Saturday 5pm (Irish Time) Eir Sport 1 (ROI), World Rugby Website etc (UK)

15. Max O’Reilly (Dublin University/Leinster) 14. Angus Kernohan (Queen’s University/Ulster) 13. Liam Turner (Dublin University/Leinster) 12. Cormac Foley (St.Mary’s College/Leinster) 11. Rob Russell (Dublin University/Leinster) 10. Jake Flannery (Shannon/Munster) 9. Craig Casey (Shannon/Munster); 1. Josh Wycherley (Young Munster/Munster) 2. Dylan Tierney-Martin (Corinthians/Connacht) 3. Tom Clarkson (Dublin University/Leinster) 4. Charlie Ryan (UCD/Leinster)(c) 5. Thomas Ahern (Shannon/Munster) 6. Ryan Baird (Dublin University/Leinster) 7. Ronan Watters (St. Mary’s College/Leinster) 8. Brian Deeny (Clontarf/Leinster)

16. Declan Adamson (Clontarf/Leinster) 17. Michael Milne (UCD/Leinster) 18. Charlie Ward (Clontarf/Leinster) 19. John McKee (Old Belvedere/Leinster) 20. Niall Murray (Buccaneers/Connacht) 21. Luke Clohessy (Shannon/Munster) 22. Azur Allison (Ballymena/Ulster) 24. Colm Reilly (Buccaneers/Connacht) 25. Ben Healy (Garryowen/Munster) 26. Jonathan Wren (Cork Constitution/Munster) 27. David Ryan (UCD/Leinster) 28. Aaron O’Sullivan (UCD/Leinster).
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

That's a tall pack!

Good to see more rotation.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

Who is the New Zealand commentator on Eir Sport (it’s not Marshall is it?) he is absolutely horrific. He’s like a fan boy, it is cringe.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Tierney having a shocker and the lineout has been very costly.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

Ryan Baird unreal!
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Baird is special. Some athlete.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Casey is so slow at times. Gets caught at the base looking around an awful lot.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

wixfjord wrote:Casey is so slow at times. Gets caught at the base looking around an awful lot.
Murrayesque?
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

OTT wrote:Who is the New Zealand commentator on Eir Sport (it’s not Marshall is it?) he is absolutely horrific. He’s like a fan boy, it is cringe.
Just tuned in.
It's Justin Marshall.
Now you know why Martin Johnston clocked him all those years ago.
Irritating little so and so.
You'd want anyone playing NZ to win just to put him back in his box.
Good player in his day TBF.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.