Ireland u20 2020

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Re: Ireland u20 2018-2019

Post by Oldschool »

So how did we go from 0-0 to 0-26 to 17-26 in the space of an hour.
Culprits and heroes would be enough.
I love a good blame game.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Ireland really have been excellent this second half, again it has to be mentioned just how many players are missing
I have Bumbleflex
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Scotland have been relegated
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Oldschool wrote:
OTT wrote:Who is the New Zealand commentator on Eir Sport (it’s not Marshall is it?) he is absolutely horrific. He’s like a fan boy, it is cringe.
Just tuned in.
It's Justin Marshall.
Now you know why Martin Johnston clocked him all those years ago.
Irritating little so and so.
You'd want anyone playing NZ to win just to put him back in his box.
Good player in his day TBF.
It's not Marshall, it's Willie Lose.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Oldschool wrote:
OTT wrote:Who is the New Zealand commentator on Eir Sport (it’s not Marshall is it?) he is absolutely horrific. He’s like a fan boy, it is cringe.
Just tuned in.
It's Justin Marshall.
Now you know why Martin Johnston clocked him all those years ago.
Irritating little so and so.
You'd want anyone playing NZ to win just to put him back in his box.
Good player in his day TBF.

Its not Marshall. I forget his name but he's from an islander background.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

Oldschool wrote:So how did we go from 0-0 to 0-26 to 17-26 in the space of an hour.
Culprits and heroes would be enough.
I love a good blame game.

All heroes, they are just down massive numbers and absolutely wrecked.

I’ve loved watching these lads playing through the 6 nations and the championship. I honestly believe if we don’t lose the man against Australia after 20mins (which was deemed to be an incorrect decision on review) we could have won the whole thing with momentum and a bit of luck of which we had zero.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Gutted for them again. They didn't really deserve to go 14 nil down and I don't blame them for collapsing after that, it must have taken a serious effort to get up for this both physically and mentally and then be really deflating when that was the scoreline within ten minutes.

Hard to believe that Baird was playing out of position, he's a special talent. Ryan was excellent again. Both starting props were excellent as well. Clarkson had one tackle on their fullback running from his own line that reminded me of Furlong on Ben Smith in Chicago. Both of them are really comfortable in the loose and have huge engines.

The attitude of the whole squad is great but even then Turner really stands out in that regard. Not the biggest guy in the world and has had a huge workload over the last few weeks but put every ounce of effort into each contact and played really well. I mean this as a compliment but he reminds me of BOD when he slowed down.

It was frustrating that a lot of our errors were unforced today but they were clearly wrecked to be fair to them. Tierney Martin had a bit of a nightmare but he looked shattered and his knee was heavily strapped, not sure why he wasn't taken off early though. New Zealand looked offside a lot when they put pressure on Casey but at the same time we didn't protect the ball well enough.

On paper that was a poor campaign but I really enjoyed watching them and look forward to see loads of them progress.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Ireland u20 2018-2019

Post by neill_m »

Ireland in a group with England, Fiji and the loser of tonight’s final for next year.

Scotland relegated to the Trophy.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

irishrugby.ie wrote:Over half of the Ireland’s squad scored a try at the 2019 World Rugby U20 Championship. Here are the 16 players with an extra special memory to take home from Argentina:

2 TRIES:

STEWART MOORE (vs. England and in Pool Phase and vs. Australia)

DAVID MCCANN (twice vs. England in Pool Phase)

1 TRY:

JOHN HODNETT (vs. England in Pool Phase)

BEN HEALY (vs. England in Pool Phase)

JAKE FLANNERY (vs. England in Pool Phase)

CRAIG CASEY (vs. Australia)

AZUR ALLISON (vs. Italy)

RYAN BAIRD (vs. Italy)

MICHAEL MILNE (vs. Italy)

CORMAC FOLEY (vs. Italy)

ROB RUSSELL (vs. Italy)

JONATHAN WREN (vs. England in Classification Game)

BRIAN DEENY (vs. England in Classification Game)

RYAN BAIRD (vs. New Zealand)

DYLAN TIERNEY-MARTIN (vs. New Zealand)

JOSH WYCHERLY (vs. New Zealand)
I have Bumbleflex
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Watched the Final on French FTA coverage on France 4. Boy, was that a cup match which the Aussies blew. Missed 10 points in kicks and paniced with about 12 mins to go and a point behind. Hardly used their bench until final 5 mins and generally had a terrible last quarter.

OTOH, the French commentators constantly referenced that the French coaches had carefully studied how Ireland had played Australia and had exposed them by maintaining fast breakdown ball. The Ref (NZ ?) was excellent and ensured a great contest with minimal conversation or comment from the players. If the ball didn'tcome back from a breakdown he penalised the ball-carrier or gave a turnover scrum. Very effective and players quickly learned not to over carry.

Australia will feel they should have won this. 90% possession & 75% territory in 3rd quarter, but hadn't put France away and had missed two penalties and only 2 pts ahead. The two flankers had completely botched a completely clean break through the middle and their decision making at half-back had disappeared.

Two in a row for France when Ireland are Grand Slam champions. An unfortunate championship for Ireland, but the competition in this Tournament is ruthless.

My pre-final prediction of Aussie supremacy was wide of the mark. But the French, at this level at least, have learned of the importance of defence and kicking your goals. That's what wins trophies. Ask RO'G.
tingman
Graduate

Post by tingman »

Cant help thinking with the Moxy this squad has shown through the tournament - its one that might have got away.

I know its and "aunt and uncle thing" but with a full squad or even a few less injuries we could have won this outright.

Aussies look destined now which is ironic give Mattie Williams has been scathing of Aussie underage structures for some time
now.
tingman
Graduate

Post by tingman »

Correction - living in the US......and missed that Aussies were already beaten.....good tourney for them tho.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by LeRouxIsPHat

The attitude of the whole squad is great but even then Turner really stands out in that regard. Not the biggest guy in the world and has had a huge workload over the last few weeks but put every ounce of effort into each contact and played really well. I mean this as a compliment but he reminds me of BOD when he slowed down.
Agreed. The forwards have rightly recieved the lions share of the comments but 10 games in a row with different partners and he looked imperious. Really excited to see if he will kick on.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

I thought Flannery and Foley were outstanding. The passing and movement was a joy to watch. Flannery showed why he was selected ahead of Healy.

It was a heavy defeat but a match they were capable of winning. Maybe the black jersey and haka put them off their game. One or two errors around the 60th minute gave NZ a chance to recover because it was all ireland at that stage.

Baird looks a great athlete. With that in mind he might be better staying in the backrow which gives him more freedom to roam. He has options. His try was great to watch and a great to see forwards with that handling.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

1. Michael Milne - solid campaign, but not as standout player.. will need to improve fitness & scrummaging. some confusion around eligibility status for next season.
2. John McKee - solid campaign, but needs to improve in core aspects to cement his place as prospect of note, eligible again next season.
3. Tom Clarkson - excellent campaign, looks a top prospect will need to put on more bulk but looks to have it. eligible again next season.
4. Ryan Baird - excellent campaign, capable of playing 6 or lock.. looks a potential star.
5. Charlie Ryan - excellent campaign, not a flashy player but a typical TH lock will be interested to see how he progresses.
6. Martin Moloney - missed JWC, but was a key member of grand slam win, interested to see where he plays going forward 6 or 7. some confusion around eligibility status for next season.
7. Scott Penny - missed JWC, star player of grand slam win, should feature heavily for leinster next season.
8. Brian Deeny - played lock and number 8, not sure if he has a long term future at 8, eligible again next season.
9. Cormac Foley - played 9 in 6 nations but was required at 12 during JWC, where he flashed his natural ability, needs to focus on a position and play a lot there next season.
10. Harry Byrne - missed JWC and end of 6 nations, potential long term replacement for Sexton.
11. Rob Russell - made 8 appearances on the wing and fullback, looked solid but unspectacular.
12. David Hawkshaw - impressed in his three games in 6 nations, interested to see where he plays upon return from injury.
13. Liam Turner - a key member of squad playing every minute of every game, interested to see if he settles at centre or moves back to the wing.
14. Aaron O'Sullivan - made 1 appearance on poor field against england, looked strong in air. Needs a big season next season.
15. Max O'Reilly - made 2 appearances, looked good in attack but ropey positionally, eligible again next season.
Last edited by mildlyinterested on June 26th, 2019, 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Post by TrapperChamonix »

MI, not like you to make a mistake but haven't u missed the captain?
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

TrapperChamonix wrote:MI, not like you to make a mistake but haven't u missed the captain?
Ooops.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

As it's the quite season here's a question for you guys. Which Under 20 Ireland player did you think was going to be a superstar but didn't make it for some reason? Be it injury/lack of form etc?
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Andrew Conway
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Hanrahan