Ireland u20 2020

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Re: Ireland u20 2018-2019

Post by Ruckedtobits »

That's two tries down to Wren, although the inside pass to Lucas for the first was definitely forward. However, the Aussies have their tails up and their hitherto undisplayed running game has given them three ries in 5 minutes. The third try by Frost was a gem. Game probably out of reach at 31-17 and they have four tries.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

That last try by Harrison was the result of hands in the ruck right in front of the ref. Not his best display nor do I expect to see him again in public. Tough luck Ireland. Well tried.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Gutted for them. That was a heroic effort from when they went down to 14 men until the moment Moore kept his kick infield.

No complaints about the red and we were very lucky that Flannery didn't go off too, but the ref really did ride us hard. The number of offsides and high tackles that Australia got away with was extraordinary. Still can't believe he ignored the TMO saying that we should have had a penalty for a late tackle.

Hodnett is great, love the footwork he uses before contact, doesn't just rely on power.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

160 minutes played in a couple of days against two of the better 20’s teams the last 60 played with 14 men, missing loads of guys from the start and a few more for the second game plus injuries in that game. Lots of excuses because there were legitimately lots of excuses. Well played lads, I thought they were brilliant in the circumstances, the last 15minutes was clearly down to fatigue and lads filling in all over the place. Lots of great talent coming through.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

It's not over yet with Ireland looking for 5 points against Italy to finish 2nd in our Pool (even if Eng beat Aus & Italy they can only get 10 pts and will be behind us on head-to-head; conversely, we can't catch Aus who have already got 10 pts).

The dangers for 2nd place in other Pools are Wales / France, NZ / S. Africa and possibly Argentina who could beat Fiji and France with 5 pts in each game.

Still alive and let's hope the Italians are as knackered as our lads at the end of today.

Not sure how many senior pro prospects will come out of this group but, as a Squad, they have been magnificent in every competitive game this Season. A number of those I expect to come through were missing today but there will still be a couple who'll make an impact further along the way by a combination of their ability and never-say-die attitude. That will be at least as important to them as skills.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Ireland needing snookers to reach SF. Baby Blacks beat the Scots 52-33.

NZ 10 +51
Ireland 5 -12

England only beat Italy 24-23.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

The referee was Christophe Ridley from England. England, the country that needed Ireland to lose. Who makes these decisions. Whether or not he was unintentionally biased or intentionally biased it doesn't matter. He should not have been there.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Just want to acknowledge Sean Farrell of the 42.ie who gave a play by play account and never mentioned the red card. It's a rare skill to be that incompetant.

https://www.the42.ie/live-latest-irelan ... 9-Jun2019/

He does mention that Ireland go down to 14 men at some point but reading it I had no idea if it was a red or yellow. Superb.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Stewart Moore/John Hodnett going home injured.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

mildlyinterested wrote:Stewart Moore/John Hodnett going home injured.
That really has become a bus crash of an injury list. I count up to 10 of first squad now not available.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Baird up in front of the Disciplinary this afternoon
I have Bumbleflex
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Ireland second-row Ryan Baird appeared before an independent World Rugby Disciplinary Committee chaired by José Luis Rolandi (Argentina) along with Stefan Terblanche (former South African player) and Valeriu Toma (former Romanian referee) in Rosario on 10 June, 2019 following the red card issued by referee Christopher Ridley in Ireland’s match against Australia in the World Rugby U20 Championship on 8 June, 2019 in Santa Fe, Argentina, for a high tackle on Australia’s fly-half Will Harrison in breach of Law 9.13.

The Committee received evidence from Baird, Harrison, the Australian team doctor and the referee as well as a presentation by the player and his team management.

The Disciplinary Committee found that on detailed analysis there had not been direct contact between Baird’s arm and Harrison’s head and that Baird’s tackle had slipped up from the shoulder. Applying the World Rugby Decision Making Framework for High Tackles (laws.worldrugby.org/en/guidelines) elected to impose no further sanction.
I have Bumbleflex
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Dave Cahill wrote:Ireland second-row Ryan Baird appeared before an independent World Rugby Disciplinary Committee chaired by José Luis Rolandi (Argentina) along with Stefan Terblanche (former South African player) and Valeriu Toma (former Romanian referee) in Rosario on 10 June, 2019 following the red card issued by referee Christopher Ridley in Ireland’s match against Australia in the World Rugby U20 Championship on 8 June, 2019 in Santa Fe, Argentina, for a high tackle on Australia’s fly-half Will Harrison in breach of Law 9.13.

The Committee received evidence from Baird, Harrison, the Australian team doctor and the referee as well as a presentation by the player and his team management.

The Disciplinary Committee found that on detailed analysis there had not been direct contact between Baird’s arm and Harrison’s head and that Baird’s tackle had slipped up from the shoulder. Applying the World Rugby Decision Making Framework for High Tackles (laws.worldrugby.org/en/guidelines) elected to impose no further sanction.
Very pleased with that decision. Thanks for summary @Dave Cahill.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by Dave Cahill

Ireland second-row Ryan Baird appeared before an independent World Rugby Disciplinary Committee chaired by José Luis Rolandi (Argentina) along with Stefan Terblanche (former South African player) and Valeriu Toma (former Romanian referee) in Rosario on 10 June, 2019 following the red card issued by referee Christopher Ridley in Ireland’s match against Australia in the World Rugby U20 Championship on 8 June, 2019 in Santa Fe, Argentina, for a high tackle on Australia’s fly-half Will Harrison in breach of Law 9.13.

Some common sense at last.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Some good news at least.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I'm confused by that, are they saying that he shouldn't have got a red?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I'm confused by that, are they saying that he shouldn't have got a red?
It would appear that way, that the disciplinary panel's pathway through the framework took a diversion from the refs after point 4 on the framework. The match officials decided that contact was direct - whereas the panel decided it was indirect
I have Bumbleflex
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Yeah I suppose that is fairly clear actually, it was the "slipped up" part that confused me. They should really have just said that then. I'm slightly disappointed in a way because I've been saying for years that a red card shouldn't necessarily mean there's a ban and this would have been a great example of it.

World Rugby really need a root and branch review of all the laws/punishments IMO. They keep making changes and by and large I don't think they're having the desired effect. Would it be fair to say that that there's an average of at least one HIA per team in every game these days? How have the edicts about high tackles made any difference then? I mean I can see why the ref gave Baird a red and said there were mitigating circumstances for the Hodnett incident, but that's not showing any kind of feel for the game at all.

IMO they deal with incidents but ignore the cause of those incidents. Offside is obviously a big one. If that was policed properly then defenders would be less aggressive off the line and it's far harder to hit with force if you're on your heels. The TMO could help with that big time, but instead of giving them the power to help, they reduced their input.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Ireland U20 v Itay U20, World Rugby U20 World Championship, Pool B, (Club de Rugby Atheneo Immaculada, Santa Fe, Tuesday, 4th June 2019, 3.30pm local time/7.30pm Irish time)
15. Jake Flannery (Shannon/Munster)
14. Angus Kernohan (Queen’s University/Ulster)
13. Liam Turner (Dublin University/Leinster) Captain
12. Cormac Foley (St.Mary’s College/Leinster)
11. Rob Russell (Dublin University/Leinster)
10. Ben Healy (Garryowen/Munster)
9. Colm Reilly (Buccaneers/Connacht)
1. Josh Wycherley (Young Munster/Munster)
2. John McKee (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
3. Michael Milne (UCD/Leinster)
4. Thomas Ahern (Shannon/Munster)
5. Ryan Baird (Dublin University/Leinster)
6. David McCann (Banbridge/Ulster)
7. Ciaran Booth (Sale Sharks/IQ Rugby)
8. Azur Allison (Ballymena/Ulster)

Replacements:
16. Declan Adamson (Clontarf/Leinster)
17. Tom Clarkson (Dublin University/Leinster)
18. Charlie Ward (Clontarf/Leinster)
19. Dylan Tierney-Martin (Corinthians/Connacht
20. Charlie Ryan (UCD/Leinster)
21. Niall Murray (Buccaneers/Connacht)
22. Luke Clohessy (Shannon/Munster) *
24. Craig Casey (Shannon/Munster)
25. Jonathan Wren (Cork Constitution/Munster)
26. David Ryan (UCD/Leinster) *
27. Aaron O’Sullivan (UCD/Leinster) *
28. Max O’Reilly (Dublin University/Leinster) *
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Ireland U20 v Italy U20, World Rugby U20 World Championship, Pool B, (Wednesday 12th June 2019, 2.30pm Irish time), TV - Eir Sport 1 (ROI), World Rugby Website etc (UK), the banner above on the IRFU website has not been updated since game no 1!