Ireland u20 2020

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Ireland u20 2018-2019

Post by neill_m »

Ireland v Australia TV coverage - Eir Sport 2 in Republic of Ireland, Highlights on ITV 4 at 11pm. In UK, live stream on World Rugby Website/YouTube Channel etc
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Anybody expecting a "running fest" this afternoon is likely to be disappointed. When Australia beat NZ a month ago by 24-0 in the Oceania Cup in Bond University their first-half tally was four penalties, each from infringements by the NZ team against hard-carrying Aussie forwards, so 12-0 at half-time.

There was more of the same in the second-half with two tries to Oz, both as a result of hard-carrying back-row forwards playing a very Irish style of rugby in wet conditions.

The Australian game against Italy was once again based on the quality of their forward play, where their back-five forwards all carry repetitively. Out-half Harrison kicks more than would normally be expected and, although their back-three all carry the ball back from kicks, they are only doing so to find support from their forwards, rather than trying to make clean breaks through the advancing line.

Australian scrum is stronger than their line-out, and their maul is a very useful weapon, but the key unit is their back-row. If we can outplay these three, we'll be on the road to another win. Interestingly, the Aussie rugby media is totally focused on their final Pool game against England, rather than worried about Ireland. Hopefully, that wlll also be reflected in the outlook of their players this afternoon
tingman
Graduate

Post by tingman »

Bollix - Baird red carded after 20 mins....
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I don't blame the ref for giving a red but that should never be a red card IMO. It was basically a seatbelt tackle that was made worse because the Aussie player fumbled the ball initially.
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

If Bairds was a red card so was Topus. He continued the tackle still swingin out of Hodnetts neck as he went to ground. Fairly biased commentary so far.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

desperado wrote:If Bairds was a red card so was Topus. He continued the tackle still swingin out of Hodnetts neck as he went to ground. Fairly biased commentary so far.

I actually thought Hodnett ducked because he knew the contact was coming, as opposed to the Aussie being unlucky that he ducked at the last second. Very dangerous the way he just flew in like that.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

That's a very lucky try to get but Casey was taken around the neck. So many penalty offences from Australia in the last few mins but no warning or yellow card?? The ref keeps getting in Casey's way too.

Great response to the red card. I don't like the attitude of this Australian side at all, think we can keep the pressure on, particularly if Healy comes on and kicks like he did the other day. Huge ask to play for 14 for so long but this is a very determined bunch and if the ref evens things up we have a chance.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Jeez I'd be more inclined to give Flannery a red for that, very stupid. He tipped the Australian over, blessed to get away with without any card.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Jeez I'd be more inclined to give Flannery a red for that, very stupid. He tipped the Australian over, blessed to get away with without any card.
Yeah easily see the Citing Commissioner having a look at it. Missed the R and Y cards but judging by other comments the CM will be busy post game.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Obviously, referees are under totally new pressure with regard to high tackles and World Rugby are using this Tournament to send out the message. Baird's tackle was high and, most pertinently, he knew it. So, however, was the Australian centre's. But Hodnett definitely ducked into that one.

Casey was lucky with both quick tap penalties, neither of which he took anywhere near the mark. He didn't get ball down, IMO. But, he was tackled around the neck as he drove forward.

The Aussie carrying is very strong and we are having problems with it. However, I really can't figure the tactic of scumming without a No 8 on our own ball. Fortunately, both our scrums with 7 players have ended in free kicks for us.

I'd like to see Flannery (or Ben Healy) put a couple of diagonal kicks behind their centres to Keornahan's wing. He is big and quick, but not a great footballer and he doesn't go forward when he cuts inside.

On the balance of the game, I'm delighted to be 10-7 behind. But I fear this game could end up 13-a-side with the refereeing.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

That's a great start for the second-half with good passing and handling to maintain pressure. Keeping the ball in open play will reduce the impact of the extra man.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Again, an arm around Hodnett's neck as he tried to ground that!
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

10-7 at HT isn't a bad place to be.
Ireland since going a man down have raised their game and Oz haven't responded.
The ht talk should sort that out but if it doesn't then...
On the other side of the coin for ht talks, RTB fingered their BR in his preview of this game and it's obvious to see why.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

Glad for that pr!*k Aus No4. Complete ass all match goading.

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

desperado wrote:Glad for that pr!*k Aus No4. Complete ass all match goading.

Loads of them are at it.

Is there a rule that we have to play two flankers or something??

Oh what a try!!!!!!!!!
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

What atry!!

OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

There have been numerous missed high tackles by Australia, loads of penalties given away near the line that could have lead to a yellow. But the ref reverses a penalty for unsporting behavior that is a load of bollix. I don’t like when players do it but it is a moral thing not something that you can penalize.

Great try from Ireland. They are putting in some shift.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Why is the ref ignoring the TMO saying that we should have a penalty for a late tackle???
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Wren has been caught badly for the last two tries. We're really missing Casey's pace/energy too.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Jaysus Wren having a bit of a mare.