6Ns 2019

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

backrower8
Mullet

Re: 6Ns 2019

Post by backrower8 »

OTT wrote:
backrower8 wrote:but I really believe that we should have steered the nucleus of the squad towards the Ryan, Henderson, Leavy, Ringrose, Porter, Henshaw, Larmour cohort (mainly early to mid 20s) in advance of the RWC. Joe is hanging on to Dad's Army too long and the tinkering at the edges of the squad wasn't brave enough in the big games, or when our goose was cooked.
I don't know if that point is really fair, would you not accept certain factors contributed to these players not playing as much as they might?

Henderson has had injuries but is in the 23 when fit.

Leavy has been injured but was in the 23 when fit before that.

Ringrose has had injuries but usually starts when fit.

Henshaw another lost often to injury but usually starts when fit.

Of the other 3

Porter was the replacement tight head until Ryan recently got back in, should he be starting ahead of Furlong? You have another post today in the Leinster addicts questioning Porters scrummaging. He just turned 23 in January and has 14 caps.

Larmour is usually in the 23, he started one match against France and came on as sub in three others. He is 21 and has 13 Irish caps already.

Ryan starts when fit.

If all those lads were fit and not getting picked fair enough but you can't honestly say the majority are getting overlooked, they have been injured. When fit they are always in the shake up.

I think it is really unfair to not acknowledge a player being injured and make out they are left out of a squad, the 6 nations literally finished a week ago we know why these guys were missing, we know because we really missed them.
Yes, I get that there were injuries that both provided for and prevented some rotation but he didn't do nearly enough with the half-backs (I don't accept that Carberry's injury put the kybosh on that) or at hooker or full-back. He has held on too long as regards Best and Kearney when he could have pivoted to Cronin and Zebo.He still should.

As regards Porter, he is part of the future alright and was making great progress as a tight-head, but I think he has stalled in his scrummagingn in recent months and even gone backwards, both metaphorically and literally.
Last edited by backrower8 on March 25th, 2019, 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

wixfjord wrote:
backrower8 wrote: Also, the word is that the Carton House camps under Joe have been stale and sterile environments for some time now, years. Not happy campers.

Joe needs to be challenged. That is Nucifora's job. It is also Paul Dean's role to a degree. Remember him? He has been anonymous as Manager and apparently is too deferential to Joe. Deano is Joe's vintage and a former Lion, but he is not delivering. Questions too over Andy Farrell not stepping up to constructively challenge Joe.

Net-net, Il Duce Joe needs his Cappos to show him less respect and get the adjustments we need to get back on the rails.

PS - Did anyone else read Stephen Jones highly encouraging article on Ireland's prospects in the S.Times yesterday? Did anyone else find it surreal and even a litle unnerving to read such praise for Ireland from Jones?
Jaysus if we were good enough to have our best year in living memory with stale and sterlie camps imagine what we could've done with joyous and lively ones eh? There's a suspicious amount of unfounded suppostition and opinions presented as facts in that post.
Begorrah and bejaysus indeed. Do you suspect I am supposin' too much?

Three sources. One a podcast (Andy Dunne on The 42's pod) which I was listening to when I literally met someone from inside the camp who made substantively the same points to me (without my even referencing what I was listening to) and also a journalist who works the Irish team beat. Of course I protect my sources. 8)

Believe what you want.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Ah yes you can't beat the old 'I have insider knowledge' claim from an anonymous poster on an internet forum designed to fit a pre-existing narrative!

I say enough of this drinking and lads going on Black Cab tours, if we want to get back to last year's results we need more stale and sterlie camps if anything!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

wixfjord wrote:
Jaysus if we were good enough to have our best year in living memory with stale and sterlie camps imagine what we could've done with joyous and lively ones eh? There's a suspicious amount of unfounded suppostition and opinions presented as facts in that post.
Totally agree. Amazing what authority of opinion is conferred by a couple of months of reading your own words. Nucifora has a role and responsibility and past evidence suggests he will have exercised his authority in that regard. Just don't expect to read about his conclusions anywhere public.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
wixfjord wrote:
Totally agree. Amazing what authority of opinion is conferred by a couple of months of reading your own words. Nucifora has a role and responsibility and past evidence suggests he will have exercised his authority in that regard. Just don't expect to read about his conclusions anywhere public.
Well I bow to your superior knowledge and cynicism lads. Not only that, I made it all up and you found me out! :roll:

Careful not to give an opinion on what is wrong with the dream team and who should take over and when from the 36 yr old Captain.

Let's be having ya Cynics