Is Stockdale already Irelands best ever winger?

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Re: Is Stockdale already Irelands best ever winger?

Postby Zyvis » February 3rd, 2019, 11:51 pm

No.

He had a meteoric rise off the back of a superb platform laid by a team doing great and really going places.
Simple as that.
Great wingers turn gnarly, tight, awkward games on their own.
He is not in Hickey, Geoghegan, O'Reilly, Fitzgerald, Bowe territory yet.
Zyvis

Postby dropkick » February 10th, 2019, 11:00 pm

Another superb try to add to his list. :happy clapper:
dropkick
Mullet

Postby blockhead » February 11th, 2019, 10:32 am

Zyvis wrote:No.

He had a meteoric rise off the back of a superb platform laid by a team doing great and really going places.
Simple as that.
Great wingers turn gnarly, tight, awkward games on their own.
He is not in Hickey, Geoghegan, O'Reilly, Fitzgerald, Bowe territory yet.

My original point was that this was exactly what Stockdale is doing.
BTW, to whom are you referring to when you say "Fitzgerald", Des?. It couldn't be 4 try Luke now surely.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
blockhead
Brian O'Driscoll

Postby suisse » February 11th, 2019, 11:28 am

Stockdale still has plenty to work on but every score Ireland get now seems to have Stockdale's fingerprints all over it. He's the best winger I can think of who makes things happen. He isn't just a finisher, bit he causes enough mayhem that allows someone else to score - like Conor Murray on Saturday.

I'm not going to talk about players before my time because I've only seen highlighted and selected footage on VHS, DVD and YouTube. But since my first game in 1991, the best wingers have been Geoghegan, Hickie (his name is always misspelt for some reason), Horgan, Bowe and even Andrew Trimble deserves a mention. Fitzgerald didn't score enough. Geordan Murphy was also a decent winger in the early 2000s. I loved Bowe. At his best, he was unbelievable. Hickie was lethal.. Stockdale is definitely heading to the top of the list but maybe he isn't there yet.
suisse
Brian O'Driscoll

Postby Aird » February 12th, 2019, 1:13 pm

My abiding memory of Orielly was of what I believe was his final match for Ireland. I was working in London at the time and had been for a fairly liquid lunch on the Friday when we heard that Ireland were going to have a run out at the Honourable Artillery Company grounds in the heart of the city. So we decided to walk over to see the team. We had been there about five minutes when a big black Limo ( it looked like a funeral Car) drove up a path on the far side of the pitch.
The Chauffer got out complete with hat etc walked around to the rear of the car and opened the boot. He brought out a pair of rugby boots and then opened the back door of the Limo and reached them in to the car.
We were astounded to see Oreily step out of the car in his kit. He hadn’t played for Ireland all season and wasn’t supposed to be in the reckoning.
Ireland won the next day at Twickenham when Flynn intercepted in mid field to go over for a try.
Aird
Learner

Postby Aird » February 12th, 2019, 1:22 pm

Stockdale may not be the best ever wing for Ireland yet but he is certainly heading that way.
The comments by Luke Fitzgerald last week were totally out of order especailly coming from such an inconsitant performer as Fitzgerald.
Probably one of my all time favourites was Keith Crossan who always tried even when the odds were stacked against him.
How many times did you see Ringland heading for the line and seemingly all was lost when Crossan appeared out of nowhere to pop up at his elbow and vice verse.
Aird
Learner

Postby Oldschool » February 12th, 2019, 3:48 pm

Aird wrote:My abiding memory of Orielly was of what I believe was his final match for Ireland. I was working in London at the time and had been for a fairly liquid lunch on the Friday when we heard that Ireland were going to have a run out at the Honourable Artillery Company grounds in the heart of the city. So we decided to walk over to see the team. We had been there about five minutes when a big black Limo ( it looked like a funeral Car) drove up a path on the far side of the pitch.
The Chauffer got out complete with hat etc walked around to the rear of the car and opened the boot. He brought out a pair of rugby boots and then opened the back door of the Limo and reached them in to the car.
We were astounded to see Oreily step out of the car in his kit. He hadn’t played for Ireland all season and wasn’t supposed to be in the reckoning.
Ireland won the next day at Twickenham when Flynn intercepted in mid field to go over for a try.

I suspect the Flynn try was a later game.
I think O'Reilly was retired and was called into the team late because of injury.
Basically he was doing the IRFU a favour cos they were too tight to pay for an airfare for a replacement winger.
Allegedly he got a fair bit of slagging off during the match too.
One story goes that he was hit a box during the match and some wag (not the wife or the girlfriend)) let out a roar "don't forget to give his chauffeur one too"
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Shane Horgan

Postby johng » February 12th, 2019, 4:46 pm

O'Reilly 1970 Flynn 1972.
johng
Jamie Heaslip

Postby olaf the fat » February 14th, 2019, 12:35 pm

Oldschool wrote:I suspect the Flynn try was a later game.
I think O'Reilly was retired and was called into the team late because of injury.
Basically he was doing the IRFU a favour cos they were too tight to pay for an airfare for a replacement winger.
Allegedly he got a fair bit of slagging off during the match too.
One story goes that he was hit a box during the match and some wag (not the wife or the girlfriend)) let out a roar "don't forget to give his chauffeur one too"

when a wag was a wag - oh, better times..
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
olaf the fat
Malcolm O'Kelly

Previous

Return to International Rugby