Ireland v England. Saturday, February 2nd.

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Re: Ireland v England. Saturday, February 2nd.

Post by Flash Gordon »

wixfjord wrote:
Oldschool wrote: T'eo was overhyped when he played for us and has done nothing to suggest he's improved
Except play well at test level and for the Lions.
I think he was still playing rugby league when he was playing for us. He always broke the line but the move often stopped with him. In fairness he would look for the offload in contact but the rest of the team weren't playing that game plan!!

He clearly improved and a Lions selection is hard to dismiss as irrelevant but he was dropped and at Ireland vs England level I think he's relatively easy to defend.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

jimbobjoe wrote:https://twitter.com/EnglandRugby/status ... 1859606529

Just going to leave this here...
Want to get up a bit higher than that if RK or Stockdale is in the vicinity!

There was an old phrase used by Gerry Murphy when coaching: Don't practice rubbish.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Jesus that's funny.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Meanwhile at Irish training camp in Carton:
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Post by TrapperChamonix »

To paraphrase Eoin Reddan, if they are wasting their time creating rubbish like that for Twitter, what are they NOT doing....?
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Shields, Cokanasinga and Te'o out of the England squad due to injury
I have Bumbleflex
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Dave Cahill wrote:Shields, Cokanasinga and Te'o out of the England squad due to injury
That's a real pity, it will strengthen their selection.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Rumours going around that Henshaw will play 15 at the weekend.
Could it be (contrary to a few posters' beliefs) that Kearney's awful performance at the weekend wasn't enough to get his place back?
When was the last time Henshaw player at 15 though (not including the last few minutes of some games)?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Laighin Break wrote: When was the last time Henshaw player at 15 though (not including the last few minutes of some games)?
April 2016
I have Bumbleflex
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Laighin Break wrote:Rumours going around that Henshaw will play 15 at the weekend.
Could it be (contrary to a few posters' beliefs) that Kearney's awful performance at the weekend wasn't enough to get his place back?
When was the last time Henshaw player at 15 though (not including the last few minutes of some games)?
Rumors from where? Is this a space filler from OTB?
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Laighin Break wrote:Rumours going around that Henshaw will play 15 at the weekend.
I've heard the same thing.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

CiaranIrl wrote:
I've heard the same thing.
In the Times today. I remember Drico saying a few months back that he thought Henshaw's best position was fullback. If Kearney is off form and not selected, England would look at kicking to their big men, Larmour is probably not international class in this area yet. Aki and Ringrose are an outstanding combination so we don't lose much in the centre.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Clicked on the article in the times. He Shaw didn’t come they as fullback that Schmidt converted to a centre. He was always a centre. It’s cummiskey.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

paddyor wrote:Clicked on the article in the times. He Shaw didn’t come they as fullback that Schmidt converted to a centre. He was always a centre. It’s cummiskey.
Spellcheck????
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

paddyor wrote:Clicked on the article in the times. He Shaw didn’t come they as fullback that Schmidt converted to a centre. He was always a centre. It’s cummiskey.
That your Cummiskey impression?

I really like the idea of Henshaw being at fullback but the timing is strange given that he hasn't played there in ages and is only just back from injury. There are obvious alternatives and I really don't understand why Joe is so reluctant to try Joey there, especially when one of the things we have lacked over the years is a second playmaker, particularly in the 22. Noel might be putting his head in his hands if Robbie suddenly becomes an option at fullback for us. Larmour really unlucky to miss out if he does, he's improved a lot since Toulouse and Argentina.

I know Wasps were rubbish and we had an abundance of front foot ball but the way we used Robbie in that game is how he should always be used when hes at 12, put the ball out in front of him let him build up a head of steam. Others have said that he's wasted at 12 but I don't think he is, his workrate and physicality suit it perfectly (and his passing is improving all the time) but too often we just shovel sh!t and ask him to run into brick walls. I know that will always be a part of a 12's job to some extent, but I think we really overdid and needed to add more subtlety.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

I can see how Joe wouldn't trust Carbery at fullback, he was as much of a threat to us in defence as he was to the opposition in attack. That wouldn't play well at international level.

It's a huge ask on Henshaw though, but if it's on they will have been training like that already surely and those watching will have seen. It's seriously left field though.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

fourthirtythree wrote:I can see how Joe wouldn't trust Carbery at fullback, he was as much of a threat to us in defence as he was to the opposition in attack. That wouldn't play well at international level.
Ha, I knew you'd say that.

I don't agree but that doesn't even matter. The fact is that, fitness permitting, Joey will be benching for the World Cup, and if we get to a QF and need a score then we aren't going to be taking Johnny off, so Joey could well end up being a wasted bench spot. Even if you were right about him being too bad defensively, I don't see why we gave up on him instead of trying to improve him.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Henshaw at fullback would be an upgrade on Kearney depending on how rusty he is playing there. It's been a while since he played there but he was very good there for Connacht and when he moved to center there was a lack of centers in the country unlike now. 
bronxbull
Knowledgeable

Post by bronxbull »

Rob Kearney obviously has been a magnificent servant to Leinster and Ireland. He is superb in the air (the best I have seen around 2019-12)and has a very good left footed clearance but I think that it is his reading of the game that makes him stand out in comparison to Joey or Jordan.

I was at the Wasps game in the Aviva and obviously Joey was MOTM and going forward he is creative as anyone who we have ever had.
Joey is a great kicker off both feet, has great hands and obviously can score from anywhere on the pitch, like Jordan, and would be a threat from full back.
I am however not convinced about Joeys reading of the play for full back.
I remember Joey struggling to get to some kicks that were just kicked up the middle of the field and you were left wondering 'why wasn't Joey in position to deal with that?' Maybe I am using too small an example and would accept criticism on that point.

Rob has missed a good few tackles down the years also but his reading of the game covers up alot.
Perhaps Rob is at the end of the line and a successor needs to be found during this 6 Nations and prior to the World Cup.
Jordan needs to work on his fielding of high kicks but his all around ability make him a very special talent either at wing or full back.
I think Rob Henshaw has all the basic skills to be great at fullback, especially as we have very good cover at centre.