Ireland v England. Saturday, February 2nd.

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Re: Ireland v England. Saturday, February 2nd.

Postby artaneboy » January 31st, 2019, 9:18 pm

MylesNaGapoleen wrote:
Oldschool wrote:4 of the Irish front five play for Leinster.
4 of the English front five play for Saracens.
About even with James Ryan giving us a slight edge.
We could be watching a preview of the Saracens v Leinster HEC final in a few months time.


Possibly. McCall is a much better coach than EJ and all the pressure is on him this weekend so I guess, with his named team, is to just beat the cr@p out of us and hope to steamroll a try or two before 50 mins.
Agree about Ryan giving us an edge but furlong also gives us an edge over sinclair imo.
Daly is a weak spot at FB...don't like the guy but he is a very good winger...not a FB.
If we contain for the first 20 mins or so, we have this game comfortably..it could open up in the last 20 for us to notch up a BP. So much quality in our lineup compared to the bish-bash-bosh they have.


On the contrary, I think the backs are picked to stretch us out wide- and the pack to give them the ball to do that. They could do it too.

And Jones is a better coach than McCall; a bit of a Mourinho in being a three-year max lad now- but a very good coach with a record with several teams beyond the Ulster man.
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
User avatar
artaneboy
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3338
Joined: January 25th, 2011, 8:46 pm
Location: closer than you think...

Re: Ireland v England. Saturday, February 2nd.

Postby Oldschool » January 31st, 2019, 9:36 pm

artaneboy wrote:
MylesNaGapoleen wrote:
Oldschool wrote:4 of the Irish front five play for Leinster.
4 of the English front five play for Saracens.
About even with James Ryan giving us a slight edge.
We could be watching a preview of the Saracens v Leinster HEC final in a few months time.


Possibly. McCall is a much better coach than EJ and all the pressure is on him this weekend so I guess, with his named team, is to just beat the cr@p out of us and hope to steamroll a try or two before 50 mins.
Agree about Ryan giving us an edge but furlong also gives us an edge over sinclair imo.
Daly is a weak spot at FB...don't like the guy but he is a very good winger...not a FB.
If we contain for the first 20 mins or so, we have this game comfortably..it could open up in the last 20 for us to notch up a BP. So much quality in our lineup compared to the bish-bash-bosh they have.


On the contrary, I think the backs are picked to stretch us out wide- and the pack to give them the ball to do that. They could do it too.

And Jones is a better coach than McCall; a bit of a Mourinho in being a three-year max lad now- but a very good coach with a record with several teams beyond the Ulster man.

It's well known that the way to beat Ireland is to test our defence out wide.
Garry Ringrose minimises this weakness.
Eddie Jones will have identified this.
However Joe has selected Henshaw which will provide some extra defencive insurance.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
User avatar
Oldschool
Shane Horgan
 
Posts: 12151
Joined: March 27th, 2008, 2:10 pm

Re: Ireland v England. Saturday, February 2nd.

Postby LeRouxIsPHat » January 31st, 2019, 9:48 pm

Ruckedtobits wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Why do you like that they've picked that back row RTB? Look pretty good to me!


Had they selected Lawes, it would have been an indication that they believed they could attack our line-out and also allow Lawes a few shots on Murray (after the pass) coming through the line-out. Played two very inexperienced (in 6N) players at flanker places big responsibility for defensive organisation on Billy V. Both Curry & Mercer are playing with packs who tend to dominate by physical set pieces. They will not have that luxury against the Irish pack.


Thanks!

Yeah that's fair enough. I haven't seen much of Wilson (presume Mercer was a typo) but from what I saw in November and a couple of the European games he's a really solid player and despite being versatile he's a proper 6, think there's a really nice balance to it. Funnily enough the biggest question mark I'd have is around Billy V, he's been good since coming back from injury but certainly nowhere near his best and one of the podcasts mentioned that he's been minding his arm when going into contact. If he puts that to the back of his mind and kicks on then he'll be great as usual, but if not then we can target him.
User avatar
LeRouxIsPHat
Shane Horgan
 
Posts: 12498
Joined: January 22nd, 2009, 8:49 pm

Re: Ireland v England. Saturday, February 2nd.

Postby Ruckedtobits » February 1st, 2019, 10:03 am

R-Dog wrote:
wixfjord wrote:
No Jack is a surprise, I guess he hasn't been performing consistently enough.


He was blowing fairly heavy when he came of last week. Match fitness i'd say is an issue


Omitting Kearney & McGrath is a strong message to the Squad that unless you're playing to your top level, there's somebody else in the queue. Killer's scrum technique goes illegal too often. Whether that's voluntary or when he comes under pressure remains to be seen. He's a decent carrier but rarely looks for supporting runners.

Leaving out Kearney serves another purpose for Joe, giving him the opportunity to see can Henshaw fulfill the role that Kearney does and possibly add to it. In my view, Larmour, Conway nor Addison have filled those boots in the way that Joe wants and so the search goes on, although he's probably also working on each of those players to get them to where he wants them.

Kearney could come back in, even if Henshaw plays well. But RK must now play every game at his top form. Joe handed out the message in November than even Conor Murray wasn't irreplaceable. Now, Rob Kearney and Jack McGrath are getting the same message. Tough calls, but thems the cards.
Ruckedtobits
Brian O'Driscoll
 
Posts: 4397
Joined: April 10th, 2011, 10:23 am

Re: Ireland v England. Saturday, February 2nd.

Postby olaf the fat » February 1st, 2019, 1:24 pm

Seems like an English selection that could really work and cause us problems. They have seriously powerful ball carriers again at 8 & 13, hence Bundee & Henshaw both starting to hopefully counter that threat.

On the other hand - what a mix of power/speed/footwork we have 10 - 15, has the makings of a great game.
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
User avatar
olaf the fat
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3622
Joined: April 5th, 2006, 11:35 am
Location: On the sofa of perpetual pleasure

Re: Ireland v England. Saturday, February 2nd.

Postby Oldschool » February 1st, 2019, 6:37 pm

Taking a simplistic approach to how this game could go.
The sum of the parts are greater than the whole.
This is mainly about cohesiveness and Ireland are likely to have the advantage here.

Which team and coach is most likely to achieve this? - Joe

Belief and trust in their systems and themselves
Which team and coach is most likely to achieve this?
This is 50/50 - The natural instinct for the English is to have belief in themselves and this is a huge natural advantage.
Joe has had to work hard on this aspect for the Irish players and has succeeded in large part but it's a learned habit rather than instinct.

Do the parts equal or balance out against the other team - on balance Ireland probably have an advantage here but it's not acroos the board.

Which team will be most affected by the weather conditions - neither if the forecast is correct.

Which team will react to home advantage - neither, England generally react to a hostile environment if the coach has done his job, Eddie has this sorted.

The unknown or unknowns.
Injuries - Are any players carrying significant injuries.
Form - Tell us the gos.
Gambles - Will Henshaw pull it off at FB, the same goes for Daly.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
User avatar
Oldschool
Shane Horgan
 
Posts: 12151
Joined: March 27th, 2008, 2:10 pm

Re: Ireland v England. Saturday, February 2nd.

Postby Blueberry » February 1st, 2019, 6:39 pm

Not worried (bar the usual jitters) can't see anyway
England can win this one........allez irlande....
Blueberry
Knowledgeable
 
Posts: 326
Joined: April 4th, 2017, 10:14 pm

Re: Ireland v England. Saturday, February 2nd.

Postby CiaranIrl » February 1st, 2019, 8:25 pm

The main reason I'm worried is that we have a recent trend of starting the 6N badly. France. Last year shouldn't have required that drop goal, and before that we lost to Scotland in the opening game. We need to hit top gear from minute 1 to win this
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
User avatar
CiaranIrl
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3316
Joined: April 27th, 2009, 11:23 am
Location: Dun Laoghaire

Re: Ireland v England. Saturday, February 2nd.

Postby Peg Leg » February 1st, 2019, 9:47 pm

CiaranIrl wrote:The main reason I'm worried is that we have a recent trend of starting the 6N badly. France. Last year shouldn't have required that drop goal, and before that we lost to Scotland in the opening game. We need to hit top gear from minute 1 to win this
Share this trepidation but hoping the venue will make a difference
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
User avatar
Peg Leg
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 9150
Joined: February 1st, 2010, 6:08 pm
Location: Procrastinasia

Re: Ireland v England. Saturday, February 2nd.

Postby CiaranIrl » February 2nd, 2019, 9:51 am

Peg Leg wrote:
CiaranIrl wrote:The main reason I'm worried is that we have a recent trend of starting the 6N badly. France. Last year shouldn't have required that drop goal, and before that we lost to Scotland in the opening game. We need to hit top gear from minute 1 to win this
Share this trepidation but hoping the venue will make a difference


Actually on top of those from the last two years, we drew with Wales in a terrible game at home three years ago. Ugh, my trepidation grows...
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
User avatar
CiaranIrl
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3316
Joined: April 27th, 2009, 11:23 am
Location: Dun Laoghaire

Re: Ireland v England. Saturday, February 2nd.

Postby LeRouxIsPHat » February 2nd, 2019, 12:06 pm

This is England though,it's physically impossible for us to be sluggish.
User avatar
LeRouxIsPHat
Shane Horgan
 
Posts: 12498
Joined: January 22nd, 2009, 8:49 pm

Re: Ireland v England. Saturday, February 2nd.

Postby Ruckedtobits » February 2nd, 2019, 12:22 pm

As anybody who has been out and about in any of South Dublin's Parks this beautiful Saturday will realise, the undersoil heating in the Aviva had better be in full working order today. Although we in the East have been lucky enough to avoid the worst of the snow and ice experienced elsewher on the island, and exstensively on the neighbouring island, our overnight frost during the past three days has left grass surfaces and pitches like corrugated concrete.

Indeed, I watched several groups of young players take to fields and park spaces this morning only to abandon their efforts after minutes, realising that safety and ball control were emperilled on the available spaces.

Go luck Ireland and let's hope technology is in full working order.
Ruckedtobits
Brian O'Driscoll
 
Posts: 4397
Joined: April 10th, 2011, 10:23 am

Re: Ireland v England. Saturday, February 2nd.

Postby leinsterlover73 » February 2nd, 2019, 12:42 pm

Hello gentlemen,I am living in Scandinavia and I am looking for a stream of the Ireland game.I can't make it to the Irish Pub as I am laid up in bed with flu. Thanks in advance.
PS. Is the game on Rte?
leinsterlover73
Beginner
 
Posts: 11
Joined: March 7th, 2015, 8:15 pm

Re: Ireland v England. Saturday, February 2nd.

Postby neill_m » February 2nd, 2019, 12:48 pm

leinsterlover73 wrote:Hello gentlemen,I am living in Scandinavia and I am looking for a stream of the Ireland game.I can't make it to the Irish Pub as I am laid up in bed with flu. Thanks in advance.
PS. Is the game on Rte?



ITV probably your best bet. I am a tech dinosaur so others can advise the finer details. TV3 now show the 6N.
neill_m
Enlightened
 
Posts: 950
Joined: May 1st, 2014, 12:39 pm

Re: Ireland v England. Saturday, February 2nd.

Postby Ruckedtobits » February 2nd, 2019, 12:49 pm

For years I've wondered about the twin enigmas of sporting success, confidence and belief. With them, success is always possible and failure not even countenanced. Without them, every doubt is magnified, every risk doubled and even what should be automatic becomes difficult.

Last night's game between France and Wales was a case in point. France started with an outlook to deliver their Game Plan of strong aggressive carrying and off-loading and for 30 minutes it looked as though they had refound the recipe of success. But Parra's goal-kicking, in particular, coupled with the absence of any fundamental confidence, only served to remind them of the importance of that key ingredient.

Despite trying to stick to the script, which was designed to beat their opponents AND recover that famous French flair and confidence, the unfortunate reality is that France have lost belief in themselves and don't know where to find it.

Contrast that with Wales. Although unable to control any aspect of their game and 0-16 in arrears away from home, they remained confident that they could win the game and duly delivered.

IMO, that's also the greatest difference between the sides in the Aviva today. The Irish Squad and Management, whilst fully acknowledging the difficulty in the challenge they face, are totally confident in their ability to overcome it and believe that their well-prepared efforts will deliver victory.

I believe they are rightly justified in their outlook.
Ruckedtobits
Brian O'Driscoll
 
Posts: 4397
Joined: April 10th, 2011, 10:23 am

Re: Ireland v England. Saturday, February 2nd.

Postby leinsterlover73 » February 2nd, 2019, 12:57 pm

neill_m wrote:
leinsterlover73 wrote:Hello gentlemen,I am living in Scandinavia and I am looking for a stream of the Ireland game.I can't make it to the Irish Pub as I am laid up in bed with flu. Thanks in advance.
PS. Is the game on Rte?



ITV probably your best bet. I am a tech dinosaur so others can advise the finer details. TV3 now show the 6N.

Thank you Neill_m ,Much appreciated. I am in my sixties and I am a dinosaur in more ways than one! Definitely not a 'techie' either. Thanks again.
leinsterlover73
Beginner
 
Posts: 11
Joined: March 7th, 2015, 8:15 pm

Re: Ireland v England. Saturday, February 2nd.

Postby CiaranIrl » February 2nd, 2019, 1:03 pm

leinsterlover73 wrote:
neill_m wrote:
leinsterlover73 wrote:Hello gentlemen,I am living in Scandinavia and I am looking for a stream of the Ireland game.I can't make it to the Irish Pub as I am laid up in bed with flu. Thanks in advance.
PS. Is the game on Rte?



ITV probably your best bet. I am a tech dinosaur so others can advise the finer details. TV3 now show the 6N.

Thank you Neill_m ,Much appreciated. I am in my sixties and I am a dinosaur in more ways than one! Definitely not a 'techie' either. Thanks again.


http://www.myp2p.biz/rugby

http://real-tv-sport.com

http://livetv.sx/enx/search/?team=ireland

Try one of those.closer to kick off time. If you've never used a dodgy stream, be careful: Download NOTHING, give permission to nothing, close all pop ups. When ads cover the screen, patiently and carefully close each ad when you find the tiny X. You'll inevitably open pop ups, close them. With a bit of patience, you'll get a stream up eventually.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
User avatar
CiaranIrl
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3316
Joined: April 27th, 2009, 11:23 am
Location: Dun Laoghaire

Re: Ireland v England. Saturday, February 2nd.

Postby leinsterlover73 » February 2nd, 2019, 1:17 pm

ITV probably your best bet. I am a tech dinosaur so others can advise the finer details. TV3 now show the 6N.[/quote]
Thank you Neill_m ,Much appreciated. I am in my sixties and I am a dinosaur in more ways than one! Definitely not a 'techie' either. Thanks again.[/quote]

http://www.myp2p.biz/rugby

http://real-tv-sport.com

http://livetv.sx/enx/search/?team=ireland

Try one of those.closer to kick off time. If you've never used a dodgy stream, be careful: Download NOTHING, give permission to nothing, close all pop ups. When ads cover the screen, patiently and carefully close each ad when you find the tiny X. You'll inevitably open pop ups, close them. With a bit of patience, you'll get a stream up eventually.[/quote]
That's great Ciaran,many thanks for that!
leinsterlover73
Beginner
 
Posts: 11
Joined: March 7th, 2015, 8:15 pm

Re: Ireland v England. Saturday, February 2nd.

Postby Peg Leg » February 2nd, 2019, 2:22 pm

Also BBC 1, download hola and set your location to England. Once you've done so you can visit the bbc website and watch on their live player.
Delete hola when you're finished with it though.
To download hola, just google search. Its very easy to install and use. The BBC player is handy too.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
User avatar
Peg Leg
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 9150
Joined: February 1st, 2010, 6:08 pm
Location: Procrastinasia

Re: Ireland v England. Saturday, February 2nd.

Postby FLIP » February 2nd, 2019, 4:03 pm

Peg Leg wrote:Also BBC 1, download hola and set your location to England. Once you've done so you can visit the bbc website and watch on their live player.
Delete hola when you're finished with it though.
To download hola, just google search. Its very easy to install and use. The BBC player is handy too.


Match is only on ITV in the UK
Anyone But New Zealand
FLIP
Mullet
 
Posts: 1708
Joined: May 22nd, 2009, 1:00 am

PreviousNext

Return to International Rugby

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Trendiction-Bot [Bot] and 12 guests