Ireland v. France Sun 10 March 15.00

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

allezlesverres
Bookworm

Re: Ireland v. France Sun 10 March 15.00

Post by allezlesverres »

On the underpowered front, it'll never happen, but I'd love to see Beirne start at 6. O'Mahony has been good (despite him being struck by some of the same error rate and malaise that is affecting the whole team) but a more powerful 6 could radically change our game
I think the problem with that is the lineout. With Toner out you need a safe lineout option (and someone to get up and put pressure on opposition lineouts) and the only guy we have have who is really good at that is O'Mahony. So much of Ireland's game plan is based off clean line out ball so we can't really do without POM, notwithstanding his mediocre carrying game.
It gets lots of size into the team, lots of big men to go toe-to-toe with the French and not lose the f*cking collisions for the first time this tournament.
This, for me, has been Ireland's biggest problem. We aren't winning nearly enough of our collisions. I wonder if this is due in part to other teams analyzing Ireland's play well. So much of Ireland's phase play has been based on strong forward collisions getting over the gainline until a pre-set strike move is called. Opposition teams seem to have figured out that if they double up the tacklers on the (usually) obvious ball carrier, they can rob Ireland of the gain line success they need to initiate the strike moves effectively. The solution from Ireland's perspective has to involve overcoming those double tackles which will either involve powerful pods to carry, or shifting the play away from where the defence have set up their double tackles.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Cronin set to miss out on squad for last two games:
https://www.the42.ie/sean-cronin-irelan ... nt-7888710
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Dave Cahill wrote:
sunshiner1 wrote:Hopefully we can show Murray the bench and tell him to sit there.
You think that in what is effectively Irelands RWC preseason its a good idea for the coach to bench his badly in need of gametime starting scrumhalf?
Yep. Bench him anytime after 60 mins because he is not yet physically up to scratch to do 80 and we have players worthy and able to do 20 minutes or less.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

wixfjord wrote:Cronin set to miss out on squad for last two games:
Gives him a better chance of equalling [or bettering] Contepomi's single season try record for Leinster [15 tries, 2005-06].
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

hugonaut wrote:
wixfjord wrote:Cronin set to miss out on squad for last two games:
Gives him a better chance of equalling [or bettering] Contepomi's single season try record for Leinster [15 tries, 2005-06].
It's harsh. The lineout was no better when Scannell came on. The unfortunate truth is that Cronin's carry on on the Australian trip meant that the coaching team just wanted an excuse to cut him. There's a good chance he's lost his world cup place completely now.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

CiaranIrl wrote:From what the press is saying, I'd guess something like: Healy, Best, Furlong, Henderson, Ryan, O'Mahony, VDF, Stander, Murray, Sexton, Stockdale, Aki, Ringrose, Earls, Kearney
Bench: Scannell, Kilcoyne, Porter, Beirne, Leavy, Carty, Cooney, Larmour
Apparently Herring the on the bench, and Leavy is still injured.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

CiaranIrl wrote: It's harsh. The lineout was no better when Scannell came on. The unfortunate truth is that Cronin's carry on on the Australian trip meant that the coaching team just wanted an excuse to cut him. There's a good chance he's lost his world cup place completely now.
Is it as harsh as perpetuating lies about a player who plays for a team you supposedly support?
I have Bumbleflex
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Dave Cahill wrote:
CiaranIrl wrote: It's harsh. The lineout was no better when Scannell came on. The unfortunate truth is that Cronin's carry on on the Australian trip meant that the coaching team just wanted an excuse to cut him. There's a good chance he's lost his world cup place completely now.
Is it as harsh as perpetuating lies about a player who plays for a team you supposedly support?
Not according to Brendan Fanning:
Then he fell foul of management at tour's end in a breach of discipline that saw the hooker reprimanded subsequently by his employers.
https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 72137.html
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

wixfjord wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
Not according to Brendan Fanning:
Then he fell foul of management at tour's end in a breach of discipline that saw the hooker reprimanded subsequently by his employers.
https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 72137.html
He's had six caps, playing in every international except for the game against the USA since - the Irish management must be very slow to react. Or, its all a load of mebollix. Wouldn't be the first time that Fanning has repeated a rumour from a web forum as fact.
I have Bumbleflex
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Dave Cahill wrote:
It's been confirmed to me via someone who works as part of one of the provinces back rooms.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Cronin played badly and got dropped it happens. The only person who knows why is Joe.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I'm not saying it's the reason he's been dropped, but it did happen. I have also had it confirmed from someone involved in the setup.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I'd say it might be a statement by Joe, could see it jolting the other players out of their collective stupor. We needed a catalyst and his performance and the disciplinary issue makes him a viable scapegoat. He's not THAT important to the team (although personally I think he should be in terms of his impact off the bench) but he's very experienced and I suspect his exclusion will have sent shockwaves through the squad.

Had he put in the same performance in the Italy game last year when everything else was going well then I don't think he'd have been dropped straight away. Of all the guys who are under-performing I can see how he would be the best option to single out.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

wixfjord wrote:I'm not saying it's the reason he's been dropped, but it did happen. I have also had it confirmed from someone involved in the setup.
And I had the opposite confirmed to be from a similar source - which leaves us precisely nowhere I guess.

Either way, he's been dropped and I'm not sure I disagree with it in some ways - under pressure he can miss key throws for Ireland and Leinster. In other ways his impact in play will be missed.
I have Bumbleflex
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Something did happen. There was a lot of nonsense around what it meant for Cronin, but there was definitely an incident. I haven't had it confirmed that it was the alleged punch, just know something happened.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Dave Cahill wrote:
"You supposedly support" - spare me.

He did act the maggot Dave. Believe what you want.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Is the addition of Ross Byrne, while retainjng Carty, a sign that they arent sure about Carbery’s fitness?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aird
Bookworm

Post by Aird »

Or maybe they just aren’t sure about Carbery period.
I know that last summer when the Carbery to Ulster campaign was in full cry, the consensus in Ulster was that they would rather have Ross Byrne
Edna Kenny
Graduate

Post by Edna Kenny »

Twist wrote:Is the addition of Ross Byrne, while retainjng Carty, a sign that they arent sure about Carbery’s fitness?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd say that's why he's been brought in. Plus, Leinster don't have a game so it makes sense to get Byrne into the camp for the week.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

It also means they can offer him a bench spot this weekend if he signs for Ulster before the team is named.