Wales v Ireland 2019 6N (The Match)

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Re: Wales v Ireland 2019 6N (The Match)

Postby LeRouxIsPHat » March 16th, 2019, 5:58 pm

Twist wrote:Its entirely possible for both Ireland and the ref to be exremely bad. No harm in pointing out either/both if its valid


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Absolutely, and he really was terrible. It wasn't just for us either, his call for the 22 was really poor.

I don't know how he (or the TJ and TMO) missed the trip in the first half. Should have been a penalty and a yellow card, that's a game changer and there are plenty more examples.
User avatar
LeRouxIsPHat
Shane Horgan
 
Posts: 12323
Joined: January 22nd, 2009, 8:49 pm

Re: Wales v Ireland 2019 6N (The Match)

Postby Logorrhea » March 16th, 2019, 6:02 pm

I think the most important thing we do today is to assemble the mob and attack the players and defend the ref (seems to give our points more integrity if we defend the ref while we attack our own). We need to ignore previous achievements of the team, assume that what we saw today is their actual peak and go full negative.

If we can attack Munster players while were at it and insist any player over 33 retire, that would be even better.
User avatar
Logorrhea
Brian O'Driscoll
 
Posts: 4127
Joined: October 2nd, 2007, 1:20 pm
Location: D24

Re: Wales v Ireland 2019 6N (The Match)

Postby Oldschool » March 16th, 2019, 6:06 pm

Logorrhea wrote:I think the most important thing we do today is to assemble the mob and attack the players and defend the ref (seems to give our points more integrity if we defend the ref while we attack our own). We need to ignore previous achievements of the team, assume that what we saw today is their actual peak and go full negative.

If we can attack Munster players while were at it and insist any player over 33 retire, that would be even better.

Except this wasn't a one off.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
User avatar
Oldschool
Shane Horgan
 
Posts: 11967
Joined: March 27th, 2008, 2:10 pm

Re: Wales v Ireland 2019 6N (The Match)

Postby wixfjord » March 16th, 2019, 6:07 pm

Logorrhea wrote:I think the most important thing we do today is to assemble the mob and attack the players and defend the ref (seems to give our points more integrity if we defend the ref while we attack our own). We need to ignore previous achievements of the team, assume that what we saw today is their actual peak and go full negative.

If we can attack Munster players while were at it and insist any player over 33 retire, that would be even better.


Sorry who's defending the ref? Any examples of that or is that just a sarky strawman job?!

I'd say the worst thing we could do is attack the ref (who was poor but not as poor as some are making out) and ignoring how utterly awful we were.
wixfjord
Brian O'Driscoll
 
Posts: 4936
Joined: April 13th, 2009, 1:00 pm

Re: Wales v Ireland 2019 6N (The Match)

Postby domhnallj » March 16th, 2019, 6:07 pm

Logorrhea wrote:I think the most important thing we do today is to assemble the mob and attack the players and defend the ref (seems to give our points more integrity if we defend the ref while we attack our own). We need to ignore previous achievements of the team, assume that what we saw today is their actual peak and go full negative.

If we can attack Munster players while were at it and insist any player over 33 retire, that would be even better.


I’d like to do that our current coach and incoming coach aren’t up to it, and should be catapulted.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
User avatar
domhnallj
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 2713
Joined: May 19th, 2011, 9:12 am

Re: Wales v Ireland 2019 6N (The Match)

Postby Logorrhea » March 16th, 2019, 6:13 pm

wixfjord wrote:I'd say the worst thing we could do is attack the ref (who was poor but not as poor as some are making out) and ignoring how utterly awful we were.


I 100% agree. Who do you think was the absolute worst? Who should we focus on?
User avatar
Logorrhea
Brian O'Driscoll
 
Posts: 4127
Joined: October 2nd, 2007, 1:20 pm
Location: D24

Re: Wales v Ireland 2019 6N (The Match)

Postby wixfjord » March 16th, 2019, 6:17 pm

Logorrhea wrote:
wixfjord wrote:I'd say the worst thing we could do is attack the ref (who was poor but not as poor as some are making out) and ignoring how utterly awful we were.


I 100% agree. Who do you think was the absolute worst? Who should we focus on?


Ah yeah maybe you're right, maybe we should ignore the players and fans on a fan's forum shouldn't bother with the analysis. :lol:
wixfjord
Brian O'Driscoll
 
Posts: 4936
Joined: April 13th, 2009, 1:00 pm

Re: Wales v Ireland 2019 6N (The Match)

Postby Logorrhea » March 16th, 2019, 6:23 pm

wixfjord wrote:Ah yeah maybe you're right, maybe we should ignore the players and fans on a fan's forum shouldn't bother with the analysis. :lol:


nahh I'm right with you. We should, especially when the pain of the defeat is fresh in our minds, focus right on the players who caused the pain. Its all their fault and I'll be f*cked if I'm going to remember the good days. They are only as good as their last performance which means they are all shite. Its important that we all shout that really loud.

I think we should focus on Murray's and POM (hes Munster so we get bonus points) and I think Rory Best is too old now.
User avatar
Logorrhea
Brian O'Driscoll
 
Posts: 4127
Joined: October 2nd, 2007, 1:20 pm
Location: D24

Re: Wales v Ireland 2019 6N (The Match)

Postby Oldschool » March 16th, 2019, 6:24 pm

Joe looking very disappointed.
For such a great coach it's a sh!tty way to end this 6Ns.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
User avatar
Oldschool
Shane Horgan
 
Posts: 11967
Joined: March 27th, 2008, 2:10 pm

Re: Wales v Ireland 2019 6N (The Match)

Postby wixfjord » March 16th, 2019, 6:36 pm

Logorrhea wrote:
wixfjord wrote:Ah yeah maybe you're right, maybe we should ignore the players and fans on a fan's forum shouldn't bother with the analysis. :lol:


nahh I'm right with you. We should, especially when the pain of the defeat is fresh in our minds, focus right on the players who caused the pain. Its all their fault and I'll be f*cked if I'm going to remember the good days. They are only as good as their last performance which means they are all shite. Its important that we all shout that really loud.

I think we should focus on Murray's and POM (hes Munster so we get bonus points) and I think Rory Best is too old now.


:lol: WTF are you on about?! Mate, you're acting like a petulant child.

You're building up big strawmans about 'overreaction' when most of the reaction on here has been objective and measured, given the disappointment.

Who exactly said 'they're all shite' or was 'defending the ref' or insisting Rory Best 'should retire'?! Bizarre!
wixfjord
Brian O'Driscoll
 
Posts: 4936
Joined: April 13th, 2009, 1:00 pm

Re: Wales v Ireland 2019 6N (The Match)

Postby Logorrhea » March 16th, 2019, 6:47 pm

wixfjord wrote::lol: WTF are you on about?! Mate, you're acting like a petulant child.


Oh I like that. Lets attack eachother too.

Damn you are good at this.
User avatar
Logorrhea
Brian O'Driscoll
 
Posts: 4127
Joined: October 2nd, 2007, 1:20 pm
Location: D24

Re: Wales v Ireland 2019 6N (The Match)

Postby wixfjord » March 16th, 2019, 6:50 pm

Aaaanny way...

Thought Conan had a good impact again coming on.

I'd have Ruddock/Leavy or VDF/Conan as our back row for the QF.

Stockdale was poor too. If we can get at him aerially with Adam Byrne there's opportunities there.
wixfjord
Brian O'Driscoll
 
Posts: 4936
Joined: April 13th, 2009, 1:00 pm

Re: Wales v Ireland 2019 6N (The Match)

Postby LeRouxIsPHat » March 16th, 2019, 6:57 pm

Didn't notice Conan until his carry down the right in the last 7/8 minutes.

Some of our mistakes are haunting me. The move off the scrum where Bundee stopped and then ran right into where the Welsh defenders were...the move off the scrum where it turned infield but Murray went blind to Earls who was totally isolated and hit a nothing kick upfield...the Furlong and Stander offsides...awful!
User avatar
LeRouxIsPHat
Shane Horgan
 
Posts: 12323
Joined: January 22nd, 2009, 8:49 pm

Re: Wales v Ireland 2019 6N (The Match)

Postby Blueberry » March 16th, 2019, 8:13 pm

Very disappointing six nations, how quickly things change..... Schmidt has some serious work to do and needs to make some brave calls. He needs to sit back watch the Irish provinces close out their seasons and pick form players, forget reputations and we can still deliver a World Cup performance of note. So many players not delivering. Murray is a shadow of himself, atrocious again today and it's killing us. Sexton struggling. Henshaw is a massive link missing and Toner is vital to this team. Tadhg Beirne is a back row forward, not a second row. Back row needs close attention and it was utterly useless today.
Blueberry
Knowledgeable
 
Posts: 301
Joined: April 4th, 2017, 10:14 pm

Re: Wales v Ireland 2019 6N (The Match)

Postby neiliog93 » March 16th, 2019, 8:34 pm

Irish players who played reasonably well: James Ryan, Jack Conan
Irish players who were poor but not atrocious: Best, Stander, Ringrose, Earls, Stockdale, Kearney
Irish players who were atrocious and/or way below their normal level: Healy, Furlong, Beirne, POM, SOB, Murray, Sexton, Aki

SOB definitely shouldn't make the RWC squad. He had a good Lions tour (now two years ago) but aside from that hasn't played well since 2014/2015. POM is in serious trouble - contributed nothing today and has been poor for a while. Best will be 37 at the RWC and questions have to be asked. Healy looks to be struggling although will still make the squad, may not start though. I think Furlong has enough credit in the bank, even from this season, to be ok for the RWC.

Murray and Sexton seem to have a virus. If they get back anywhere near their best, that's fine. If they don't, we'll have to bring in Cooney and Carbery. Murray and Sexton just don't look like the players they were (I really, really hope they recover). Aki is a good defender and brings physicality but when the opposition defence is on top, he offers nothing and his handling/passing is inadequate. I'd prefer to see Chris Farrell in there, he offers similar physicality but more skill and subtlety. I'd still have worries about Rob Kearney but based on Henshaw's performance at FB we may not have other options.

A very, very sobering day. Well done to Wales who fully deserve their victory. I'd much rather them than England.§
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
User avatar
neiliog93
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3735
Joined: April 12th, 2008, 11:42 am

Re: Wales v Ireland 2019 6N (The Match)

Postby brenno » March 16th, 2019, 8:46 pm

Everybody can have bad games and I can forgive them for those. But we really have to look at Sexton - not just because he's playing badly but because of his attitude. Nothing ever seems to be his fault, mouthing to his own team mates, generally behaving a spoiled bollix. That said you don't just go from world player of the year to muck just like that and maybe things will change - I hope to God they do. Right now in the NH, Anscombe, Biggar, Russell, Farrell (even after his sh1te display today v Scotland) are way ahead.
brenno
Bookworm
 
Posts: 145
Joined: June 2nd, 2011, 2:34 pm

Re: Wales v Ireland 2019 6N (The Match)

Postby Ruckedtobits » March 16th, 2019, 11:44 pm

If, as I hope and pray, this Squad decided that their 2019 objective was the RWC, maybe they mentioned their decision to Joe S. If they did, we have September & October to look forward to.

If that is not the root cause of what has been our worst 6N in 6 Seasons, then we have a real problem of some depth.

We have three top-class Coaches in Schmidt, Farrell & Easterby, yet our tactcal development stopped last March and the past 6 months of Irish Squad sessions have been wasted practising the things that the rest of the world expect us to do and have analysed how to stop us doing them effectively.

If, on the other hand, we had 9 / 10 blokes on the field today, trying not to get injured before the RWC, well that's alright then. Except NO, IT IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

That was a very poor EFFORT from Ireland and they have no right to deliver that performance and retain their places. We do have some depth in most positions and it will be interesting to see if such players put their hands up in Europeam games over the next month.

On Friday I was warned by a father of one of the U.20 Squad that Ireland under Schmidt had become predictable and easily twarted. Maybe he was right. If not, a lot of retirements coming before September.
Ruckedtobits
Brian O'Driscoll
 
Posts: 4323
Joined: April 10th, 2011, 10:23 am

Re: Wales v Ireland 2019 6N (The Match)

Postby wixfjord » March 17th, 2019, 12:15 am

Ah well if a father of one of the U20 squad has made judgement then we're in big trouble!
wixfjord
Brian O'Driscoll
 
Posts: 4936
Joined: April 13th, 2009, 1:00 pm

Re: Wales v Ireland 2019 6N (The Match)

Postby dropkick » March 17th, 2019, 12:29 am

Ruckedtobits wrote:If, as I hope and pray, this Squad decided that their 2019 objective was the RWC, maybe they mentioned their decision to Joe S. If they did, we have September & October to look forward to.

If that is not the root cause of what has been our worst 6N in 6 Seasons, then we have a real problem of some depth.

We have three top-class Coaches in Schmidt, Farrell & Easterby, yet our tactcal development stopped last March and the past 6 months of Irish Squad sessions have been wasted practising the things that the rest of the world expect us to do and have analysed how to stop us doing them effectively.

If, on the other hand, we had 9 / 10 blokes on the field today, trying not to get injured before the RWC, well that's alright then. Except NO, IT IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

That was a very poor EFFORT from Ireland and they have no right to deliver that performance and retain their places. We do have some depth in most positions and it will be interesting to see if such players put their hands up in Europeam games over the next month.

On Friday I was warned by a father of one of the U.20 Squad that Ireland under Schmidt had become predictable and easily twarted. Maybe he was right. If not, a lot of retirements coming before September.



I agree with the father.


It's fairly drab watching them when they're winning nevermind losing. It's like playing a video game where after a while you know what the computer character(s) will do and it becomes so much easier to defeat them.


Schmidts Ireland are too programmed, play too narrow and it's too overcomplicated. The players can't do much when the opposition are waiting with 3 men and nail them with every carry.


He needs to give up some control to the squad and other coaches. 30 heads are better than 1.
User avatar
dropkick
Mullet
 
Posts: 1530
Joined: January 2nd, 2007, 1:27 am
Location: Cork

Re: Wales v Ireland 2019 6N (The Match)

Postby RAILWAY1 » March 17th, 2019, 1:42 am

While it is very true that quite a few players performed well below their normal high standards during this championship campaign, in fact some have performed below an acceptable standard for internationl rugby at all the big problem is that the major nations i.e. the ones we need to beat to progress in the world cup have sopped on to the predictible system this team is playing and we will struggle to beat these teams unless there are major changes in the set up
RAILWAY1
Learner
 
Posts: 89
Joined: February 5th, 2017, 1:41 am

PreviousNext

Return to International Rugby

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: RoboProp and 1 guest