RWC 2019

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: RWC 2019

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Watched the first half of the Scotland game last night and can't get over how poor their defence was. They were really narrow and sometimes had four players covering the backfield. If they do that against us then we should rip them to shreds. They numbered up a bit better in their own half but once France went one way they'd get drawn over to that side and leave huge gaps on the other. Their shooters would try and rush up to cut out the danger but they were slow, hesitant, and isolated. Their forwards looked knackered as well so were often out wide when they shouldn't have been and were caught on their heels.

Despite only scoring three points I didn't think they looked that bad in attack, that element had more of a look of a rusty pre season game and I'd imagine passes will start to stick and they won't miss clearouts as they get fitter.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I think the whole Scot team looked absolutely wrecked. I wonder is this due to their training schedule or something else amiss? I know it was mad warm and humid and France were running them around, but even the likes of Hogg were blowing hard in the first half!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Only Hogg has been retained for this wrekend apparently
I have Bumbleflex
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Or Herrera, or Cordero. Some very big calls there.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Russia 22-35 Jersey Reds
Georgia 24-20 Southern Kings

Russia playing Connacht in Moscow on Sat 7/9 it seems.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Owen Franks omitted from NZ RWC19 squad. That has surprised me, even though his form has been reported as below par. I haven't seen enough of his lay this season to comment.

Atu Moli has great pedigree – he played two years on the NZ U20s, was captain his second year and was chosen as non-playing 'apprentice' tourer in 2017 [like Ardie Savea and Jordie Barrett previously] – but picking him ahead of a double World-Cup winning centurion is a huge call.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

hugonaut wrote:Owen Franks omitted from NZ RWC19 squad. That has surprised me, even though his form has been reported as below par. I haven't seen enough of his lay this season to comment.

Atu Moli has great pedigree – he played two years on the NZ U20s, was captain his second year and was chosen as non-playing 'apprentice' tourer in 2017 [like Ardie Savea and Jordie Barrett previously] – but picking him ahead of a double World-Cup winning centurion is a huge call.
+1.

A direct result of two bad games in the scrum against SA and Aus and the influence of Mike Kron, even in selection. NZ have always understood the fundamental importance of the scrum and maul, even when the media analysis is on how they are creating openings by a double-pronged out-half selection.

Hanson is ruthless in front-five selection. He never shirks the tough call in this area, even when is prepared to take more risks with back-three players.

NZ still the short-odds favourites.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Jones and Hansen have shown their mettle and infused their squads by making youthful selections over yesterday’s heroes. We don’t have the depth to drop people outright, but we can rearrange the pecking order and invigorate the team in the process.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Franks has been putting in very average performances for a couple of years at this stage. IMO he deserves to be dropped but I didn't see it happening at this stage, not from a big squad like that.

My initial reaction was that Hansen was ruthless and that it's the kind of thing where we might look back after the World Cup and wish we'd been like that if we crash out early and NZ go on to the final, but he's also picked Ben Smith and SBW who have both looked very old in the last year or two.

Jacobson is a really good player, wouldn't be shocked if he was the catalyst for their pack improving. Retallick is in the squad but not expected back until the QF, risky.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

A really smart piece of business by Erasmus in recruiting a Coach with huge intellectual property on the Irish Squad, who may face Ireland in RWC19.

Some may forget that Felix Jones was Ireland Assistant Coach when Ireland toured Japan just two summers ago. There must be a strong possibility that. Felix Jones was fully briefed by Joe Schmidt as to what Ireland's broad strategic plans and match targets for RWC19.

Jones is reported to have been hired on a short-term contract for the SA World Cup bid. The value of his coaching ability and insightful experience of one of SA possible direct opponents, make this smart business.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Ruckedtobits wrote:A really smart piece of business by Erasmus in recruiting a Coach with huge intellectual property on the Irish Squad, who may face Ireland in RWC19.

Some may forget that Felix Jones was Ireland Assistant Coach when Ireland toured Japan just two summers ago. There must be a strong possibility that. Felix Jones was fully briefed by Joe Schmidt as to what Ireland's broad strategic plans and match targets for RWC19.

Jones is reported to have been hired on a short-term contract for the SA World Cup bid. The value of his coaching ability and insightful experience of one of SA possible direct opponents, make this smart business.
He was only in Japan for a week with Ireland.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

I'm not sure Felix Jones will have much info for them. They'll have gathered plenty of info already from coaching Munster.

What I don't hear mentioned too often is that the Irish squad will have gathered plenty if info on Rassie and Nienaber too. They'll know all the weak spots in the defensive system and will have gotten detailed info on those coaches from the Munster players.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

dropkick wrote:
What I don't hear mentioned too often is that the Irish squad will have gathered plenty if info on Rassie and Nienaber too. They'll know all the weak spots in the defensive system and will have gotten detailed info on those coaches from the Munster players.
That is the good vibe train the one we have jumped on is going direct to HELL, no refunds given!
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

OTT wrote:
dropkick wrote:
That is the good vibe train the one we have jumped on is going direct to HELL, no refunds given!
Can I hop on? It's a good point by dropkick (unless we play New Zeland :lol: ) and seeing that Stockdale has cut his hair is making me think that things are looking up!
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Just posted this on the RWC warm-ups thread:

Just listened to the latest Molecast #36 from the Demented Mole team which covers our current 'dilemmas', particularly how low the display was in Twickenham last weekend. As always a cogent and well articulated debate about the frustrations of World Cup warm-ups and some historical perspective as to how the only thing that matters is performances in the Tournament - remember 2007, England 0 v South Africa 36 in the Pool game? Remember "Throwback Thursday" in 2011 RWC, when Tonga beat France 19-14 in the competition before Canada beat Tonga to keep France in the competition and to the Final?

Has Joe got any real options in selection of the Squad?

Is it tactical or emotional at this stage?

Can any motivation overcome age?

Which international Coaches are the best selectors?
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
Just posted this on the RWC warm-ups thread:

Just listened to the latest Molecast #36 from the Demented Mole team which covers our current 'dilemmas', particularly how low the display was in Twickenham last weekend. As always a cogent and well articulated debate about the frustrations of World Cup warm-ups and some historical perspective as to how the only thing that matters is performances in the Tournament - remember 2007, England 0 v South Africa 36 in the Pool game? Remember "Throwback Thursday" in 2011 RWC, when Tonga beat France 19-14 in the competition before Canada beat Tonga to keep France in the competition and to the Final?

Has Joe got any real options in selection of the Squad?

Is it tactical or emotional at this stage?

Can any motivation overcome age?

Which international Coaches are the best selectors?
Re squad, yes and in fact he may well be forced to exercise some of those choices.
Cooney is an obvious one where we look to be in trouble.
However, and I agree with the non selection policy, but if push came to shove he has D. Ryan and I. Madigan.
He has Buckley or O'Sullivan and Moore or Bealham.
He could easily bring Bealham or Moore in and use Porter at LH.
If it's emotional we're goosed. Joe can't afford to take any chances on player fitness and availability.
Sexton is the classic problem.
He has effectively been injured since Christmas.
That's going to miraclesly change, I don't think so.
Age is relentless and cumulative.
This may even be an issue for Sexton and not just Best.
It's definitely genetic. Some people live longer than others purely because of their genes (I know you know this already, just there for completeness.
As regards coaches, the ones that keep on winning.
Unfortunately some start well but seem to reach a wall.
TBH I think that is also to do with the team they are coaching.
Ireland is one of the worst teams to coach.
Joe is one of the best purely based on what he has achieved with Ireland.
Two victories and two near misses against NZ stands on its' own merits.
Coaches however get burnout and Ireland would definitely be a tough gig.
For the future Ireland might be best advised to appoint their international coaches for a max of six years.
But really most of the above might be best left until after the RWC
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Another impressive win for France v Italy. Licking my lips at the prospect of the games in their Pool. Obviously, Galtie and Ibanez, alongside Jones, recognise that they will have to start like a train to make sure they get through to Q/F. This Pool will be a demonstration as to what a RWC could be like if the Tier Two nations were given enough competitive fixtures, i.e. more than just two teams with a realistic chance of qualifying.

Today in Tbilisi, Georgia will be backed by more than 50,000 fanatical fans as they have a cut off Scotland. If they could get a couple of seasons of 5/6 games a year v Tier 1 Nations, they would be genuine contenders. The same is true of Samoa and Fiji and the US Eagles also have the potential to up their standard.

It won't happen in this cycle but we could still get a surprise or two. But France will be a team to keep an eye on.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

How do you pick the 31.
Secondary position in brackets.
RKearney
Addison(OC)
14/11
Stockdale
Earls (OC)
Conway (FB) Edit - added.
Larmour (FB) (OC)
DKearney (FB)
12/13
Ringrose (Wing)
Henshaw (FB)
Farrell
Aki
Sexton (12)
Carberry (15)
Byrne
Carty
Madigan
Murray
Marmion (Wing)
McGrath
Cooney (10)
Healy
McGrath (3 at a push)
Kilcoyne
Buckley
Best
Cronin
Scannell
Furlong
Porter (1)
Ryan (1)
Bealham
Moore
4/5
Toner
Ryan
Henderson (6)
Beirne (6)
Dillane
Kleyn
Roux
D. Ryan (6)
6/7/8
POM (7 tbc)
Ruddock (7)
Murphy (6, 7, 8 )
VDF
Stander (6)
Conan

That's the shortlist.
Who will JS leave behind
Has he any surprises, eg DKearney in instead of Larmour.
Joe has a couple of days left.
Give him a helping hand after today's match.
Does the glass need to be broken, could Madser or DRyan. get a late call. Personally I'd far prefer DRyan to Kleyn. Go for it Joe.
Last edited by Oldschool on August 31st, 2019, 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Oldschool wrote:How do you pick the 31.
Secondary position in brackets.
RKearney
Addison(OC)
14/11
Stockdale
Earls (OC)
Larmour (FB) (OC)
DKearney (FB)
12/13
Ringrose (Wing)
Henshaw (FB)
Farrell
Aki
Sexton (12)
Carberry (15)
Byrne
Carty
Madigan
Murray
Marmion (Wing)
McGrath
Cooney (10)
Healy
McGrath (3 at a push)
Kilcoyne
Buckley
Best
Cronin
Scannell
Furlong
Porter (1)
Ryan (1)
Bealham
Moore
4/5
Toner
Ryan
Henderson (6)
Beirne (6)
Dillane
Kleyn
Roux
D. Ryan (6)
6/7/8
POM (7 tbc)
Ruddock (7)
Murphy (6, 7, 8 )
VDF
Stander (6)
Conan

That's the shortlist.
Who will JS leave behind
Has he any surprises, eg DKearney in instead of Larmour.
Joe has a couple of days left.
Give him a helping hand after today's match.
Does the glass need to be broken, could Madser or DRyan. get a late call. Personally I'd far prefer DRyan to Kleyn. Go for it Joe.
Nobody who hasn't been in this RWC Camp has any chance of inclusion. He could bring somebody back in but he will not include anybody outside.

Equally, no overseas based player will be included e.g. Madigan unless in case of successive injuries. Don Ryan could get a call if Toner and Hendo got injured in next fortnight. However, I think there's no chance of Zebo, Madigan, Jackson or Olding being called up.

Dave Kearney for Larmour would be a huge surprise and retrograd step. Neither would be first choice except against Russia or Japan. But Larmour has the unique skills to win a game during a 20 minute cameo. Conway has the same but his package is much more rounded.

I keep hoping Joe goes for the guys who can do a real job very well e.g. Ruddock is an international No 6. Jordi is international cover for 6, 7 or 8. Take Ruddock. McGrath is an international & Lions LHP. Killer is an explosive carrier and a turnstyle LHP. Take McGrath. Luke McGrath is a decent Captain and all-round rugby player. Cooney ( and Blade) are far better passers. Take the better passer.

Its not easy but we're not travelling to this Competition just to make up a Pool. This event is a progression from beating NZ twice and winning the Grand Slam. We only have a chance of being successful if the most talented Irish players are there and everyone of them plays beyond expectations and previous form.